(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Sep 2020, 01:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
ROX Filer Too Slow [SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
dahiyasumit

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2011, 19:31    Post subject:  

Quote:
open the two files /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts in a text editor and see if the computer's name is the same in both files. If not, make it so.

MrToad, you have hit the bullseye. I had renamed my computer immediately after install but /etc/hosts still had the default "puppypc" listed as localhost. I fixed that file and rebooted. Now the slowness is gone !!

This could be a bug worth putting on radar for next release.

Thanks!
Bruce B

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 03:30    Post subject:  

dahiyasumit wrote:
Quote:
open the two files /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts in a text editor and see if the computer's name is the same in both files. If not, make it so.

MrToad, you have hit the bullseye. I had renamed my computer immediately after install but /etc/hosts still had the default "puppypc" listed as localhost. I fixed that file and rebooted. Now the slowness is gone !!

This could be a bug worth putting on radar for next release.

Thanks!

I find this very interesting.

I didn't have a problem with ROX-Filer at all. Nevertheless, upon reading this topic, I made some changes.

Line 1 of hosts reads 127.0.0.1 localhost

I changed computer name to localhost

It has been working swell.

dahiyasumit

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 15:03    Post subject:  

Quote:
I made some changes.
Line 1 of hosts reads 127.0.0.1 localhost
I changed computer name to localhost
It has been working swell.

Bruce, as strange as it may sound, the internet service company also seems to play a role here. Allow me to explain....

My home receives internet from two different companies - A and B. When I use puppy with company A, ROX-filer works just fine without any slowness whatsoever. That too regardless of "/etc/hostname" and "/etc/hosts" having different host names.

One fine day, I thought of switching to internet company B and Rox (and couple of other things) started falling slow. Yesterday I fixed my host name, thanks to MrToad, and Rox is working nicely even with company B. So in a nutshell, Rox works fine with company A regardless of my host names but it runs very slow with company B unless I fix host names.

I can replicate this behavior as many times as I wish (a restart is required after I change host names) and I have no clue what does company A has in their infrastructure that company B does not.
trapster

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 15:40    Post subject:  

My /etc/hosts
As far as I remember, I've never changed it. Puppy 5.2

127.0.0.1 localhost puppypc
192.168.1.1 pc2
192.168.1.2 pc3
192.168.1.3 pc4

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog
dahiyasumit

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 15:59    Post subject:  

trapster, you don't have to change your "/etc/hosts" unless you renamed your computer during installation process.

As MrToad mentioned, puppy gives you an opportunity to rename your computer if you dont like the default "puppypc". Now if you take this opportunity (which I did) then /etc/hosts remains stuck at "puppypc" instead of the new name you chose. And that is a problem.

You will do just fine if you are okay calling your computer "puppypc".
dahiyasumit

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2011, 20:59    Post subject:  

We would never have hit this issue if the computer-rename dialog updated "/etc/hosts" correctly. That dialog updated "/etc/hostname" just fine but left out "/etc/hosts". I cannot think of a reason that justifies this behavior to be "intended".

Anyone who is trying to replicate this issue needs to please understand that this has something to do with your internet company (or perhaps your LAN infrastructure) in addition to renaming your Lupu 5.2 computer. MrToad and I seem to have similar internet company infrastructure that perhaps you may not have.

Heck, even I can't duplicate this problem if I use my other internet company!
Dougal

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar 2011, 16:24    Post subject:  

dahiyasumit wrote:
We would never have hit this issue if the computer-rename dialog updated "/etc/hosts" correctly. That dialog updated "/etc/hostname" just fine but left out "/etc/hosts". I cannot think of a reason that justifies this behavior to be "intended".

It's just the result of sloppiness...

Quote:
Anyone who is trying to replicate this issue needs to please understand that this has something to do with your internet company (or perhaps your LAN infrastructure) in addition to renaming your Lupu 5.2 computer. MrToad and I seem to have similar internet company infrastructure that perhaps you may not have.

Heck, even I can't duplicate this problem if I use my other internet company!

Do you use the other company at home, too? I thought you mentioned the problem is at home and at work it's ok.

Anyway, I presume you connect using DHCP, so the difference probably comes from how your ISP has you set up.

If you run
Code:
grep dhcpcd /var/log/messages
you'll see the different things that dhcpcd does when you connect, like setting up routing (type "route" in a terminal to see your routing table) and writing /etc/resolve.conf, which lists DNS nameservers to use (it will usually use a "local" one, which goes to your ISP's server (which caches searches, to save them bandwidth).

So maybe something about how your other ISP does things, coupled with the messed up hosts file, drives Rox crazy...

But I think it's your mind
dahiyasumit

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar 2011, 17:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
Do you use the other company at home, too? I thought you mentioned the problem is at home and at work it's ok.

Correct. The problem occurs at home but not at work. When I was able identify the root cause at home by switching my ISP (my home gets internet from 2 ISPs), I conveniently chose to drop the work vs. home argument. Now the argument became home ISP A vs. home ISP B Smile

Pardon my ignorance, but why two hosts files?
Dougal

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 17:03    Post subject:  

dahiyasumit wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but why two hosts files?

You mean /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts?

I don't know for sure but it seems like hostname is just the name of your computer (when you boot, that file is read and the hostname utility is used to set it) while hosts lists IP addresses of various computers in your network, so a DNS lookup doesn't have to be performed (or, in case of the localhost, it tells the browser etc. that local files can be found at IP address 127.0.0.1).

My hosts file is over 16,000 lines long (as I updated it using this) and includes fixes for some things I had problems with.
For example, at some stage I kept having trouble accessing Rapidshare and Megaupload -- most likely the ISP trying to keeps people from using their bandwidth -- so I just added lines for them:
Code:
195.122.131.2 rapidshare.com
209.222.148.141 www.megaupload.com

and it solved my problem.

dahiyasumit

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2011, 19:28    Post subject:  

Thanks.
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2011, 20:46    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
Dougal..
Quote:
(as I updated it using this)

It seems full of pop up ad stuff??
How can this be beneficial????

Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...
dahiyasumit

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2011, 22:30    Post subject:  

Quote:
How can this be beneficial????

Look how everything points to 127.0.0.1. Instead of going to actual ad servers, all these junk requests are redirected back to your computer thus rendering them useless.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2011, 03:59    Post subject:  

So, maybe the firstrun dialog and Pup-Advert-Blocker need to be updated, to make sure the hosname matches in the 2 relevant files...
Dougal

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2011, 16:33    Post subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:
So, maybe the firstrun dialog and Pup-Advert-Blocker need to be updated, to make sure the hosname matches in the 2 relevant files...

There is a Pup-Advert-Blocker?
The hostname matching should simply be done when /etc/hostname is changed (when you choose to give your machine a name other than "puppypc").

playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2011, 19:56    Post subject:  

Thanks for doing this troubleshooting. It came in time to be included in the upcoming Lucid--and was important because we have a box in the firstrun dialog to change hostname.
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: