How for wvdial to not save password?

dialeddown

How for wvdial to not save password?

#1 Post by dialeddown »

Can wvdial ask instead of saving phone number, login, and password?

Thank you

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

dialeddown,
Are you asking this for security reasons? I think this could be a valid concern in a public setting. Please tell me more about the situation you are considering managing. I will give some thought as to how to make that possible.

I assume your idea is to have the user always enter those values. Would those fields need to be hidden as with passwords, so others could not see them as they are being typed?

Thanks for raising the issue.
Richard

dialeddown

#3 Post by dialeddown »

Richard, yes, it is for security and privacy. I was surprised that it saves all that information without permission by default and there is no option not to save it, regardless of the situation. I see no need to save your personal account information when any computer or usb key could be hacked, lost, or stolen.

I was thinking that each time could be like the first time, entering number, login, and password. I was not thinking of hidden * entries for the other two fields but that would be a good feature too with a simple checkbox next to each field.

Is the Wary firewall.conf optimized for dialup?

Thank you

rerwin

#4 Post by rerwin »

dialeddown,
I have not looked into the firewall, at all. But since wary inquires about the firewall in association with starting dialup, I assume it can handle it. Or is it only for 3G?

Thanks for your thoughts on the information retention. I agree that it should be possible to avoid saving that sensitive data. I will see what I can do about it. I think the more important thing is to keep the data off of devices that can get lost or stolen, rather than hiding it from snoopers at the time of entry. Not that I am rejecting that, though.
Richard

dialeddown

#5 Post by dialeddown »

Richard, thank you for looking into the saved data.
I have not looked into the firewall, at all. But since wary inquires about the firewall in association with starting dialup, I assume it can handle it. Or is it only for 3G?
I do not know, sorry.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

#6 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

rerwin wrote:dialeddown,
The firewall works with dialup confirmed by ShieldsUp, PcFlank, etc.