Alkitab Bible Study, a java front-in for BibleDesktop

Talk about and post software packages known to work or packaged for Puppy.
Jim1911

Alkitab Bible Study, a java front-in for BibleDesktop

#1 Post by Jim1911 »

Alkitab is another alternative java front-in for BibleDesktop for Linux. I used it alongside of BibleDesktop study software until I discovered Bibletime and quit using it. However, it is still a very nice java program that works well with all pups that I've tried.

The Kiyut web site who produces Alkitab describes it as follows:
Overview
Alkitab Bible Study is an open source and free desktop Bible study software. It supports single/parallel view, commentaries, lexicons, dictionaries, glossaries, daily devotions, etc. It also comes with powerful search capability. It features rich and user friendly Bible software study tools.
This Bible software is build using JSwordand is an alternative front end for Bible Desktop.
Alkitab Bible Study is released into Public Domain.
The source code is available at developer section.
You can download additional Bible translations, books, dictionaries, lexicons, daily devotionals, etc by following thisstep by step guide.
To install Alkitab follow these steps:
1. Important first install java, versions should be available for any pup that you are using.
2. Download Alkitab for Linux and save it to a new temporary directory.
3. Extract the downloaded file into the new temporary directory that was created.
4. Find the setup file. Right click on the file, select properties, and make sure that under Permissions that Exec is checked.
5. Click on setup and follow the prompts of the installation program.
6. It will place an Alkitab....desktop file in your /root/desktop folder.
7. If you want Alkitab to appear in the menu, you must copy the Alkitab....desktop to /usr/share/applications. However, I found it necessary to edit the Categories line as shown in the following code in order for it to show up properly in the menu.

Code: Select all

Categories=X-Bible;X-Religion;Literature;X-Personal;Education;
Try it, Alkitab Bible study software is a nice java alternative to BibleDesktop. If, you already have Bibletime or BibleDesktop, it will access the sword modues that are already installed.

Enjoy,
Jim
Attachments
alkitab.png
(128.01 KiB) Downloaded 790 times