tried puppy 5.2

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
ramkul

tried puppy 5.2

#1 Post by ramkul »

Hi Puppy Creator,

Thanks for puppy. Great operating system. I first tried puppy 4.3 and become fan of it. I work for microsoft technologies @office and in home i don't want to work again. @Home I want to chat, browse, watch videos, movies, play music, sometimes burn CDs, check hard disk/partition it, sometimes need grub if i mess something up and yes use USBs, external HDDs and kind of stuff. Puppy is great for me. It gives everything w/o much ado. Within 15 seconds it becomes ready. It is secure way for my bank transactions as well as i'm quite sure about linux now. I recommended puppy to my all friends and told that if you want to play with ur machine, keep puppy ready. you will always need it.
And my friends are happy that i introduced them to puppy.

Lately i became distro-hopper and tried to c what else is in the store. i tried multiple linux distros and troubled with lot of problems. some are hard to install, some comes with weak default packages which u need to install and make the system ready for your use. some are bloated, very slow. some doesn't show up at all, when you boot them from CD, ur machine just hangs and u dont know what is happening. some corrupts MBR and such lot of problems. why i need all this. i use puppy. i tried DSL but it didn't show up. most distro have problem with my machine i suppose. so finally puppy has become inseparable part of my computing. why the hell installation and all, just plug usb and take off

i observed that puppy creator perfectly knows what users want. one example is of flash player with seamonky. i dont c many distros having this by default, u have to install it separately but this is default in puppy. puppy's package kit is best in all. also u can issue many shell commands! so u feel this puppy is not puppy, it's superpuppy

now u released 5.2. which is again great version with better apps included. it doesnt ask u about keyboard, language, resolution but simply appears in front of you and let u change if u wanna. that is good. it saves repetitive task. next is better multimedia apps included like gnome player. mesa-utils seems to have preinstalled. i used glxgears to see what's max FPS i can get and happy that it's max in puppy

but i found few problems with it, hope this shud help u make it better

1. 23 MB more than 4.3 so boot time is increased. plz reduce it. boot time is the real fun using puppy
2. no default browser? earlier seamonky was there then why not now. dillo is not good, instead keep firefox or seamonky installed by default
3. earlier there happens to be save-session kind of thing. which i suppose somes automatically. now i couldn't c it. can v have some icon which does it? why i'm asking about this is 5.2 is having some stability problem, it crashed sometimes leaving my changes unsaved. atleast before i do something i can save all and go for erroring app. it happened with glxgears.

these are my suggestions. looking for ur reply.

thanks,
Ram

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Some of your problems could be bad download of Puppy 5.2
The age of your computer could be issue.
Around Puppy 4.3.1 support for older hardware has changed. Many reasons.
Puppy has gone in two directions on support.
Puppy 5 series is hit or miss on how old a hardware it will work on. It is cutting edge latest computer stuff.
Wary Puppy is the version of Puppy that is designed to support older hardware.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02158

ramkul

hardware info

#3 Post by ramkul »

pasting hardware info......though i will still stick to default browser being something material and not dillo

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Memory : 449MB (247MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 19 Mar 2011 11:22:06 AM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8237 - VIA 8251
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse
Sleep Button
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF
pdf_writer : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST3120213A
SONY CD-RW CRX230ED

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

3. earlier there happens to be save-session kind of thing. which i suppose somes automatically. now i couldn't c it. can v have some icon which does it? why i'm asking about this is 5.2 is having some stability problem, it crashed sometimes leaving my changes unsaved. atleast before i do something i can save all and go for erroring app. it happened with glxgears.
This info may help to understand about save files.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

Stability issues, need more info on what you are doing when it happens.
How are you running Puppy 5.2?