Puppy as a Terminal Server - IMPOSSIBLE???

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

We got this to work years ago in puppylinux, its in the Xorg.config starting command to lock it down to single machine, remove that lock and terminal service is already in play. Need to find a client. and the thread.
I think pizzagood and the other wizard of networking figured it out.
I was using that method local network with puppy as server and client but do not long recall how.

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

http://www.xfree86.org/current/xinit.1.html
describes command line settings
the xwin script calls the xinit command.

sebus

#18 Post by sebus »

And not a single addition for over 6 months?

Nobody serious?

sebus

gcmartin

#19 Post by gcmartin »

sebus wrote:And not a single addition for over 6 months?
Nobody serious?
I think there are few problems with Terminal Server in Puppy Linux.
  • Some probably feel that ssh is an answer because that's the closest any have felt to a Terminal Server.
  • The REBULARs are always testing differing implementations and are, therefore, only running the "Test" platform(s).
  • And some don't really know what a Terminal server really is and how beneficial it can be in providing a system for LAN access
  • Finally, those who are familiar with TS see little need to endeavor into it because of Puppy's current design (around a single user)..
Thus, as you can see, understanding and approach is missing.

I don't think there is a technological hurdle; more of understanding for the many. Excepting those of us from a Microsoft Business Background, really havnig a chance to appreciate the power of making any TX available in small settings is what's missing. I have run a MS TS on a local LAN for overy 11 years. It works and MS made it so simple to implememt..

I've often thought that XRDP is one simple solution where this Linux community could benefit from its power. It has shown benefits in other mainstream distro.

2012, and the fast maturity of Puppy might spring this back into limelight.

Hope this helps
Hope this helps

Volhout

The last iso you burned ....

#20 Post by Volhout »

If we could make this work, you would only need 1 client puppy version. The last you ever burned, working on your target HW at home.

All new puppies would never needed to be debugged on your target machine at home, but only for compliance to the TS protocol. Save a hell of a lot of testing.....

But you would need an internet(or network) connection to do anything usefull.

The problem with Puppy is that from the start it has been developed in a different direction (single user, one app for everything). This is contraverse. You would be better of starting with a multi user distro for the server. Maybe a thin puppy for the client.

GCmatin: I do see your point, but it is not very far off from Cloud computing. And that is slowly comming in the PC society, and fast in the Android / Smartphone / Tablet world.

Have you ever tried JolyCloud (the Joli-OS is a Ubuntu variant, but JoliCloud itself is a browser app for Firefox and Chrome). There is also a Cloud-Puppy (haven't tried it yet).

P.S. did you ever finish the Opera BrowserLinux ?

Aitch

#21 Post by Aitch »

gcmartin

#22 Post by gcmartin »

Also see x2vnc, freenx, and synergy ...
Thanks Aitch.

These are good desktop packages, but they REQUIRE desktop installations, not ONLY for the server, but also for the client for full screen WYSIWYG operations.

XRDP server DOES NOT require ANY client installation in the Windows or Puppy (as well as the other top-10 distros) Linuxes. The clients are buil-in into all of these.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to review. (P.S. I just found that PEMASU has quietly slipped XRDP into his repositories.)

I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to over the next couple weeks.

I have used this in Ubuntu. All you do is
  1. install nstall/start/ XRDP.
  2. start any RDP client on ANY other Windows/Linux/MAC PC on the LAN
The user gets a running Ubuntu desktop just as if he was sitting at the desktop of that computer. Further, the XRDP server does NOT need a monitor or keyboard or mouse if one chooses.

This would work the same on any Puppy; assuming you have a PET to load.

For a simple application: How about an Internet Browser system where all your downloads, cookies, history, etc is kept so that is safe, secure, iwth only 1 PC exposed on the LAN.

There are many, many other applications I can think of that I have been involved with over the years.

Hope this helps

Aitch

#23 Post by Aitch »

For a simple application: How about an Internet Browser system where all your downloads, cookies, history, etc is kept so that is safe, secure, iwth only 1 PC exposed on the LAN.
Ooh, that sounds interesting, and I have a friend whose been asking about a networked puppy/win2K/MAC OS setup, with just such capability, i.e. having an ability to browse and email, from a [sandboxed?] puppy head, with access via secure networking to the win/mac boxes to transfer/fileshare any downloads to, presumably after checking for viruses

Sounds right up your street, and whilst I get what he wants, I shudder at the thought of putting it together, as I'd get a lifetime job rebuilding it every time he breaks it....which he seems to manage too often for my liking .... :lol: :lol:

Aitch :)

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

Aitch wrote:
For a simple application: ... Aitch :)
This is REALLY simple with XP. He can use XP and a "head" for browsing while using all other PCs/MAC/Linux to get a XP desktop for surfing.

Rebuilding (???) \ have never rebuilt ... Why?

That's just one of the uses of a TS. A user can use ANY desktop application that he sees on the desktop of the PC he connected to.

Hope this helps

Aitch

#25 Post by Aitch »

Obviously loads of unimportant/unnecessary steps here, but very useful insights if contemplating xrdp...

http://scarygliders.net/2011/11/17/x11r ... w-hotness/

It seems there are some login/out/orphaned session issues...?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xrdp/reviews/
gcmartin wrote:Hope this helps anyone who wants to review. (P.S. I just found that PEMASU has quietly slipped XRDP into his repositories.)

I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to over the next couple weeks.
I don't know if you've had time/made any progress....I've been busy dealing with a legal case for the last 6 months which is now [almost] finally decided in my favour, [Just waiting for the arrival of written confirmation]..... however I may need to start a damages claim to recover costs and damages

I will then hopefully be able to look into this again, thanks

Aitch :)