How to set the horizontal position of the screen?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Leon

How to set the horizontal position of the screen?

#1 Post by Leon »

I would like to find some configuration settings or instruction, if exists any, to move the horizontal position of the screen about 3 mm (0,12 inch) to the left where it is when I use Windows. My Puppy is running in Xvesa mode. I am interesting in a solution for Xorg mode also.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

For Xorg, you can run "xvidtune" from a terminal window.
This enables you to finetune the display position, then output a modeline to the console.

A modeline can be inserted into /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but Xorg by default will ignore it. However, GuestToo did post a message to the forum, how to turn on recognition of a modeline in xorg.conf.

Leon

#3 Post by Leon »

Barry,
Thank you.
Do you have any idee about the solution for Xvesa?

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

If you are using the same HW and OS all the time, it is best to reset the monitor itself. Really old monitors may have trimmer access through the back of its case or inside (BEWARE! use a plastic spill, all controls are labelled by screen printing on pcb.) Moderately old monitors will have adjustment trimmers under the front panel. Later crt and lcd monitors will have an OSD SW adjustment.
More often, the problem with really, really old monitors is that the horizontal driver transistor gets 'worn out' (OK, field- and thermally-assisted interdiffusional junction degradation) and the full picture width can no longer be obtained. It's the big fat black guy, usually on the lhs (from front), attached to a big aluminium heat sink. Its replacement is a doddle - three legs to unsolder and resolder. Check the condition and value of its associated emitter resistor as this can also drift and need replacement. If the LOPT is getting a little past its best, it is possible to tweak it a small amount with its built-in trimmers.
In principle, anyone could carry out simple monitor repair, adjustment and maintenance. Unskilled operatives should leave an address of their local cemetary for floral tributes!

Leon

#5 Post by Leon »

Sage wrote:If you are using the same HW and OS all the time, it is best to reset the monitor itself. Really old monitors may have trimmer access through the back of its case or inside (BEWARE! use a plastic spill, all controls are labelled by screen printing on pcb.) Moderately old monitors will have adjustment trimmers under the front panel. Later crt and lcd monitors will have an OSD SW adjustment.
I have 2 years old Sony SDM-M51 15" LCD monitor. I can adjust the picture position by pressing monitor control buttons. The problem is that the picture in Puppy is shown at different position then in Windows.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

OK. The commercial 'doze drivers allow it to be reset in SW. So, set it with OSD for Linux and use rightclick-screen/properties/settings/advanced for 'doze.

Leon

#7 Post by Leon »

Sage wrote:OK. The commercial 'doze drivers allow it to be reset in SW. So, set it with OSD for Linux and use rightclick-screen/properties/settings/advanced for 'doze.
Exactly! I solved the problem.
Many thanks!