GUI to download LibreOffice - beta quality

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
shinobar

on an old Puppy

#91 Post by shinobar »

greengeek wrote:Could this be used on an old Puppy 4.3.1 installation?
@greengeek
Have you tried? and got a trouble?
I am using it on '431JP returns', the Japanese special edition based on Puppy 431.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

gcmartin

Re: LibreOffice

#92 Post by gcmartin »

shinobar wrote: ... will you test the sfs_load-1.3.9?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 72&t=64354
Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.2.9.2 has the sfs_load-1.3.9 built in.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76247
Thanks Shiinobar for your help.

Yes, I will do that at first chance over this coming weekend.

Question
  • Am I to assume that sfs_load will load the SFS in such a way that when the system is shutdown and a save-session to the CD occurs, that on the next reboot, the system will be loaded with all the installed apps present just as is done for PPM apps?
And, FYI, I have found that in the past, the PETs seem to be similar in size to SFSs. Not sure if there is developer magic occurring. This is just an observation for I understand the reasons one might steer to developing a SFSs for a system feature.

Hope this is clear information and question

greengeek

Re: on an old Puppy

#93 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote:@greengeek
Have you tried? and got a trouble?
I am using it on '431JP returns', the Japanese special edition based on Puppy 431.
I loaded the get_libreoffice-013.pet (assumed it was the best one as it must be the most recent..) but when I go to the "document" menu and click get libreoffice I end up with a gtkdialog-splash that says "Please wait a moment" and has a rotating arrow on a green rectangle. Seems to be hanging like that forever.

No visible network activity so I don't think it's actually downloading.

shinobar

#94 Post by shinobar »

greengeek wrote:I loaded the get_libreoffice-013.pet (assumed it was the best one as it must be the most recent..) but when I go to the "document" menu and click get libreoffice I end up with a gtkdialog-splash that says "Please wait a moment" and has a rotating arrow on a green rectangle. Seems to be hanging like that forever.
Type 'get_libreoffice' from a virtual terminal so that you may get more information. Wait 30 sec if it seem hanging.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

greengeek

#95 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote:Type 'get_libreoffice' from a virtual terminal so that you may get more information. Wait 30 sec if it seem hanging.
Thanks Shinobar,

The first time I try this I saw:

# get_libreoffice
ok
en-GB
/usr/sbin/get_libreoffice: line 216: gtkdialog: command not found
EXIT="EXIT on mouse-over"
3.4.5 3.5.0

A folder called libre_download is created on my sda1, but has no contents.

I waited 5 minutes but there seemed to be no progress. When I reboot and repeat the process I now get something almost identical except it refers to "EXIT on timeout" instead of EXIT on mouseover. Still hangs, with no network activity evident.

pemasu

#96 Post by pemasu »

If you type gtkdialog --version...what you get...It is possible you will need gtkdialog-0.8.0 Thunor ie gtkdialog4...just brainstorming

Code: Select all

# gtkdialog --version
gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor

greengeek

#97 Post by greengeek »

pemasu wrote:If you type gtkdialog --version...what you get..
I get the following:

bash: gtkdialog: command not found

Does this mean I have no gtkdialog at all?

gcmartin

LibreOffice PET assistance request

#98 Post by gcmartin »

This problem has come up before on the SFS issues with LIve Media users.

Live media users MUST manually create personal techniques for their SFSs use and needs in the absence of a PET for installation. (It is a personal preference of a developer to provide packages for our use. In all cases they are doing what they feel is the right thing for the right audience, AND I respect that.)

So, since we are on our own, I'll ask for some obvious assistance.

Request
  • I believe there is a tool that exist to export SFS contents to a folder..
  • I also believe there is a tool where a folder can be made into a PET.
  • The PET can then be installed into the running system.
  • It will be tracked by the PPM and will be backed up by the save-session (I guess this is assuming that Libre would install into the system so that save-session would be able to capture it)
  • Would this work for Live media users?
  • Is there a procedure for soing this somewhere already in existence?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

pemasu

#99 Post by pemasu »

LibreOffice-3.5.0-en_US.pet has been uploaded to the exprimo repo. It has rox left and right clicks included.
I found the reason why LibreOffice pets created from get_libreoffice sfs does not update the menu. There is one broken symlink which causes it. I found the reason when I launched the pet installation from console with petget command. The error was seen that way. Removing that broken symlink and everything was ok.
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... _en-US.pet

01micko

#100 Post by 01micko »

Hi all,

greengeek,

IIRC, Puppy-431 only has gtkdialog2 and gtkdilog3 executables. I haven't got a check for version which I should put in. Perhaps for now putting in a symlink "gtkdialog" targeting gtkdialog3 will fix your issue.

ln -s /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3 /usr/sbin/gtkdialog
I'm not in Puppy at the moment so can't check, will do later.

EDIT:Ok, I wrote this before Thunor updated gtkdialog, so gtkdialog3 will work, so all that is needed is the above symlink. I have only one call that misses gtkdialog3 which I'll fix for the next version.

-

gcmartin,

To install the libreoffice in a pfix=ram install (pupmode=5) isn't supported at this stage, but I can implement it. It would require that your machine has about 1GB of free RAM. I may put in code that checks for system RAM (say at least 1.5GB) and then a check for available RAM (1GB) and then apply a case whereby a .pet is generated, which can be saved for later use.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

#101 Post by gcmartin »

01micko wrote: ... It would require that ...
Thanks @Pemasu and @01Micko. You guys are great!

Just a note
I believe that I have used LibreOffice on a PC that has 1GB of RAM (not free, total). But, I cannot swear to it.

In any event, it is prudent and wise that we should follow recommendations as it means that the developers has tested at that level of design and the product functions adequately. And, should any of us find a difference that would help others, we should present that information.

Thanks, again, to both of you.

01micko

#102 Post by 01micko »

Note that 1GB RAM requirement is to build the sfs 8) :wink: in RAM, as that's how pupmode=5 (pfix=ram) works.

Libreoffice should run fine and build fine with 256MB RAM, in an installed state (either full or frugal, pupmode=2, pupmode=12, and I should add support for pupmode=6).

I'll reiterate that USB installs are unsupported (pupmode=3, 7, 13). There could be big problems if there is a snapmerge during the build. I do not intend to fix this.

I have not supported pupmode=77(save back to CD/DVD), but it will be a similar scenario to pupmode=5.

Hope this clarifies.

greengeek

#103 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote: Perhaps for now putting in a symlink "gtkdialog" targeting gtkdialog3 will fix your issue.

ln -s /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3 /usr/sbin/gtkdialog
Thanks. That worked perfectly on my 4.3.1 frugal.

I chose version 3.5 (instead of 3.4.5) and it works, but is very much slower to load than the Libreoffice I had previously loaded into into a Slacko 53 frugal on the same hardware.

Is that related to the age of 4.3.1 do you think? (lacking modern libs or something?)

Also, during the first run of Libreoffice on 4.3.1 it repeatedly requested a JRE to be loaded. I didn't do that yet because I got a lot of problems when I loaded a JRE pet to my Slacko Libreoffice (ROX corruptions now resolved)

Do you consider the JRE to be critical/desirable/optional?

T4TH

EDIT: I also tried the new .sfs on Wary511 and it works (I didn't really expect it to be portable to a different Puppy version...), but I experienced exactly the same delay when starting Libre on 511 as I did with 4.3.1
It seems to take forever to get to the point where you can start typing the document.. Is it normal to expect slower performance from an sfs programme versus a fully installed programme? (My installed version on Slacko53 was Libre 3.3, whereas this new sfs is Libre 3.5 - maybe the newer version is more weighty?)
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#104 Post by 01micko »

Hi greengeek

It is certainly possible that it's slower on 431 due to libs but I am not sure. As long as it's stable than it shouldn't be a problem.

As for Java, I thinks it's needed for some of the presenter features. Calc and Writer work fine without Java, I'm not too sure about the others. The warning should not appear after subsequent loads of LibreOffice Writer and Calc.

HTH

vovchik

#105 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko and greengeek,

I seem to recall that Java was needed for the database. I don't think it works without it. Some extensions may also need it, but nearly everything works without JRE, although I have it installed.

With kind regards,
vovchik

gcmartin

Using JRE

#106 Post by gcmartin »

In the past, I've used JRE as it have automatically provided JAVA features for JAVA apps one mihgt use.

I use a LAN PC finder called AngryIP available as a JAVA app or as a PET installer which adds a menu item. And, with LibreOffice this allow full functioning of the product.

This is not a request for a change to anything, just an understand of how one get JAVA servcie for needed applications.

Thanks goes to Pemasu as he has score a wining hockey goal with the LibreOffice.PET he produced.

Thanks again to all

greengeek

Re: Using JRE

#107 Post by greengeek »

gcmartin wrote:In the past, I've used JRE as it have automatically provided JAVA features for JAVA apps one mihgt use.

I use a LAN PC finder called AngryIP available as a JAVA app or as a PET installer which adds a menu item. And, with LibreOffice this allow full functioning of the product.
gcmartin - can you clarify this please? Are you saying that I don't need a JRE at all, I only need to install angryIP and then Libreoffice will be satisfied?

(I am a little confused because that seems different to your first post in this other topic:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67345
where I think you said "JAVA is required")

thanks in advance.

greengeek

#108 Post by greengeek »

vovchik wrote: but nearly everything works without JRE, although I have it installed.
Thank you vovchik. Do you remember where you got the JRE from? (I installed a JRE pet to my Slacko53 install and ended up with icon problems and unwanted ROX alterations). I would like to find a good, clean, safe JRE just in case I need it)
Thx.

01micko

#109 Post by 01micko »

Hi greengeek

Going by vovchik's info I would say that if you don't need Base (the database) you don't need Java. Angry IP scanner is a Java dependent IP address scanner and a totally separate, you don't need it unless you want to scan for ALL Ip addresses your machine can find (fun exercise!). It has nothing to do with LibreOffice.

I have had no problem with Java, which version did you have an issue with and from where did you get it? The lucid 1.6 update 24 version (iirc) seems stable on older gear (from reports).

You could try some from the follwing post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371

greengeek

#110 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote: I have had no problem with Java, which version did you have an issue with and from where did you get it? The lucid 1.6 update 24 version (iirc) seems stable on older gear (from reports).
Hi 01micko,
the JRE issue that some of us experienced with Libreoffice on Slacko53 is detailed here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75299
(it is an obvious problem on Slacko due to the black desktop, but icon colour was not the only problem I had as a result. Other Rox options were "contaminated" also)

I will have a look at that other source for JRE.
many thanks.