Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 22:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Thunderbird in Wine using large amount of space (Solved)
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Author Message
Bernie_by_the_Sea


Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 329

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011, 09:48    Post_subject:  Thunderbird in Wine using large amount of space (Solved)  

Perhaps this has been discussed before but I couldn’t find anything searching the forum or Google

I ran Thunderbird under Wine just to see if it would work (and it did) but it added about 17MB to puppy space (and pupsave) that I can’t find (and remove). Any idea where to look? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Windows program running in Wine permanently store anywhere near that much data in Puppy.

Wine 1.1.33 in Wary 5.0.0.

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Jasper


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 1135
Location: England

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:14    Post_subject:  

Hi,

You should be able to find Thunderbird in your .wine directory (the . means it is a hidden directory).

With a Frugal install, if you can move Thunderbird to /mnt/home that should solve your space problem (which is likely to get worse if you save received and sent emails).

My regards

Added:

musher0 gives some good information below.

If it's the portable version you can just delete the thunderbird directory to lose it.
If it's the main version look for the uninstall icon.

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
musher0


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 4245
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:19    Post_subject: Re: Wine using large amount of space  

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote:
Perhaps this has been discussed before but I couldn’t find anything searching the forum or Google

I ran Thunderbird under Wine just to see if it would work (and it did) but it added about 17MB to puppy space (and pupsave) that I can’t find (and remove). Any idea where to look? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Windows program running in Wine permanently store anywhere near that much data in Puppy.

Wine 1.1.33 in Wary 5.0.0.


Hi!

If it's a PortableApp, such as ThunderbirdPortable, look under
/root/.wine/drive_c/PortableApps/ThunderbirdPortable.
PortableApps are self-contained, so that should be all there is.

If it's the regular Thunderbird, it should be in two parts:

1) /root/.wine/drive_c/users/root/Local Settings/Application Data/Thunderbird/profiles/some_coded_title.default

That's where your personal profile will have been created.

2) the executable itself will probably be in
/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Thunderbird
(I say "probably", because I haven't used the regular Thunderbird in a while.)

Good luck! Smile

_________________
"Logical entities must not be multiplied needlessly." / "Il ne faut pas multiplier les êtres logiques inutilement." (Ockham)
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Bernie_by_the_Sea


Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 329

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011, 17:51    Post_subject: Re: Wine using large amount of space  

musher0 wrote:

If it's the regular Thunderbird, it should be in two parts:

1) /root/.wine/drive_c/users/root/Local Settings/Application Data/Thunderbird/profiles/some_coded_title.default

That's where your personal profile will have been created.

2) the executable itself will probably be in
/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Thunderbird
(I say "probably", because I haven't used the regular Thunderbird in a while.)

It is the regular Thunderbird and the profiles were as you said:

/root/.wine/drive_c/users/root/Local Settings/Application Data/Thunderbird/profiles/faje4rmg.default

I couldn’t find the executable but I regained about 14MB by deleting the directory with the profiles. I played with Wine a few years back but it never worked well enough to use regularly. Now under Puppy it works on the majority of things I try. I wasn’t aware that it stored so much. I even found about 2MB of wallpaper images under .wine and deleted those.

Thank both of you for your help. I’m not going to use Thunderbird -- I was just playing with Wine to see what works and what doesn’t.

_________________
Frugal: Knoppix 6.4.4 DVD
USB: DSL 4.4.10
Full: WinXP Pro
Puppy (Feb. 4 - May 12, 2011) led me back to Linux.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
8-bit


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 3368
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul 2011, 01:25    Post_subject:  

My .wine directory with contents is 445megs.
But I could install a bunch more without effecting my pupsave free space.
How?
Open Rox by clicking on the house icon.
Left click on the eye to show hidden files.
Open /mnt/home
Drag the .wine directory to /mnt/home window.
Select move when it asks if you want to move or copy.
Then in the /mnt/home directory, again click on the eye to show hidden files.
Right -click on the .wine directory and select link from the choices.
change /mnt/home/.wine to /root/.wine and click ok.
You now have a link to .wine that is outside of your pupsave file that can grow without effecting your pupsave free space.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
XBlackChaosX

Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2012, 06:10    Post_subject:  

8-bit wrote:
My .wine directory with contents is 445megs.
But I could install a bunch more without effecting my pupsave free space.
How?
Open Rox by clicking on the house icon.
Left click on the eye to show hidden files.
Open /mnt/home
Drag the .wine directory to /mnt/home window.
Select move when it asks if you want to move or copy.
Then in the /mnt/home directory, again click on the eye to show hidden files.
Right -click on the .wine directory and select link from the choices.
change /mnt/home/.wine to /root/.wine and click ok.
You now have a link to .wine that is outside of your pupsave file that can grow without effecting your pupsave free space.


Do i choose a relative link or absolute? & what does that mean?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0609s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0057s) ][ GZIP on ]