Samba-3.0.21c (file&printer sharing) -- full Samba build

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
SamSung

#16 Post by SamSung »

Hi

I have installed the Samba server dotpup and everything works fine, apart from

If I try to install any other package the pup get manager tries to uninstall the samba dotpup as noted in this thread, can I edit something to stop this from happening.

Also I would like to automatically mount the smb shares setting the option to do so in LinNeighbourhood does not work and I cannot seem to get the command

Code: Select all

# mount -t smbfs //Server/Documents /root/mnt/Server/Documents
to mount the drive either I get the error

Code: Select all

mount: Mounting //Server/Documents on /root/mnt/Server/Documents failed: Invalid argument

Anyone any ideas.
I am using 109CE

Cheers

Sam

daftdog

#17 Post by daftdog »

I was having the same trouble with samba-3.0.21c being removed whenever I used Pupget. I tried deleting the line beginning Samba in /root/.packages/packages.txt and the next time I used Pupget it didn't try to remove Samba and now samba-3.0.21c shows up as an installed package in the right-side window of the pupget package manager.

gjhicks

#18 Post by gjhicks »

Hi,

Whoops! Made a post that seemed really sensible until I noticed that the 'user' setup is different than other distros I have used.

So, the below is still correct but doesn't allow write access to the "scratch" area on the puppy server. Will correct when I have a solution to this aspect.

Not sure if this is the right place to make these comments but:

Some hints on using samba with user security and WinXP clients, specially when the WinXP user names are in a form that linux/samba don't like, eg a WinXP user name like 'John Doe' - the space is a problem.

While not pretending to be an expert in either WinXP or samba, I have discovered (after much googling, etc) that there is an easy way for WinXP clients to access a samba share.

1) For each WinXP user, create a new user in puppy. Just use <adduser newusername> and ignore the errors about no home folder, just setting up a linux username/password is all that is required. Use the same passwords that the WinXP users use in WinXP - maybe this is not necessary, but it is easier than having to remember yet another set of passwords! This information is stored in a file called /etc/passwd. You can 'cat' this file to confirm that the new users have been added.

2) Set samba users for each of the newly added linux users, with the same username/password pairs, with <smbpasswd -a newusername>. This information is stored in a file called /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd. You can 'cat' this file to confirm that the new users have been added.

3) Create, in the /etc/samba/private folder a text file called "username.map". Using a new line for each pair, enter the linux/samba user names and their corresponding WinXP user names, eg:

johndoe = "John Doe"
alice = "Alice in Wonderland"
puppy = "Puppy in WinXP"

4) Add to the "Global" section of the "smb.conf" file the following two lines (the first should not really be necessary but just in case..):

smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
username map = /etc/samba/private/username.map

#This assumes that you are using "user" rather than "share" security
security = user

#And, for WinXP users, add the following line:
encrypt passwords = yes

Hope that this is of some use.

Geoff

cobelloy

#19 Post by cobelloy »

well - i didnt see that last post, it might have been helpful today

anyway I have set up my puppy pc to be a file aand printer server for windows clients, no ftp necessary - I think it is similar to above but anyway look here - this is what I did:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=62848#62848[/url]

disciple

#20 Post by disciple »

EDIT - Problem solved by a reboot

disciple

#21 Post by disciple »

Can someone please clarify - this is a full server/client samba install correct?
I am successfully using it as a file server, although I am still working on the printing.
But how can I use it as a client - I shouldn't need to install the client samba pupget as well, should I? If I do, then I can browse the network with LinNeighborhood, but if I don't, when I try to mount a share, it says "error: smbmount not found".
How are other people doing it?
NB I am using Grafpup.

Solved - I booted into Puppy 2.02 and copied the usr/sbin/smbmount, smbd, smbclient, smbumount and smbmnt, and put them in usr/sbin in Grafpup, and now LinNeighborhood works beautifully. :D
I still haven't had any success with printers though. I have tried setting my CUPS printer up with a driver, so that it prints fine from the server machine, and also as a raw printer, and in both cases the client Windows machine spools the print job, and then it disappears, but never seems to arrive at the printer. I know it is communicating with the Samba server, as before my last edit of smb.conf, it was asking for a password. My printers section of smb.conf now contains:
[printers]
print ok = yes
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
I initially tried this:
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /usr/spool/samba/
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
browseable = Yes
but it said it couldn't find the printer, although it was showing up browsing in network neighborhood

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#22 Post by Ian »

Jmarsden, I noticed that the addresss for the Samba download was wrong so I edited it.
The Samba had a lowercase s instead of uppercase S.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#23 Post by Ian »

I have just downloaded & tried Samba but get the problem of Windows asking for a password when I try to access the Puppy machine.
I have changed the workgroup to windows default workgroup in the config file, tried adding users which are seen in WIn but can't access them.

MU

#24 Post by MU »

Ian:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=15

right the first message:
security = share

For the samba-dotpup, the conf is in /etc/samba/ I think.

Mark

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#25 Post by Ian »

Thanks Mark,

In the meantime I tried a couple of things ang got a result.

I should mention that I am only trying to connect through Win ME at the moment, will try XP later.

I deleted all my user entries and started from scratch.

1. Created a directory named /home, this is the default for most Linuxes.

2. Used adduser to add users <adduser john>, this created a user 'john' in /home.

3. Used smbpasswd to add 'john' to samba password file, <smbpasswd -a john>.

4. Edited smb.conf to set the workgroup to the Windows WORKGROUP & homes to browserable to 'yes'.

In windows I can see the users I created and can access the user account while logged into Windows with that account name which is how it should work.

I am trying to set up printer sharing through samba but although I can see the printer in Win so far I have not been able to get it to work but that is todays project.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#26 Post by Ian »

Ok, I set up Puppy on another machine installed the Samba.pup, edited smb.conf to set workgroup to 'WORKGROUP' , created /home directory, added users as above and booted up XP.

Sucess!, the users in XP can access their accounts in Puppy.

Now, back to the printers.

DeanS

#27 Post by DeanS »

Can anybody point me to an idiots guide to get samba installed and running?

I'm new to Linux and have read pages and pages of tips / instructions but still nothing.

Any clues / tips? Anyone?

Cheers,

Dean

Mstar

#28 Post by Mstar »

DeanS,

Try this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 44&t=13590

Samba is quirky, but it does work if you stick with it.

Also note that if you install the dotpup, there is some really excellent refrence material installed with it. I'm not in Puppy at the moment, but as I recall it's in the /usr/share/samba or /usr/sbin/samba directories under a subdirectory called SWAT. Anyway, poke around and you'll find it.

HTH