DraftSight Beta

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
stu90

DraftSight Beta

#1 Post by stu90 »

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -software/
Welcome to a better way to create, edit and view DWG files – and the place to do it all.
DraftSight is a professional-grade, open 2D CAD product for users who want a better way to create, edit and view DWG files. DraftSight is easy to use and is available for professional CAD users, students and educators to download and activate for free.
requires free activation

Built and tested on Lucid Puppy only.

.sfs
http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... ta_520.sfs

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Thanks - I haven't tested thoroughly, but it looks really good. I'll try using it instead of LT next time I do some drafting.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

nickdobrinich

DraftSight CAD sfs

#3 Post by nickdobrinich »

@stu90
I posted this to the Lighthouse Pup forum.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 405#507405

Thank you for making this into an sfs.
It runs well on Lighthouse Puppy.
DraftSight has tremendous potential, even in beta.
It is one of the essential apps I need to wean my groupies from their fatal Windows addiction.

Ben

DraftSight Beta crashes

#4 Post by Ben »

stu90 wrote:Built and tested on Lucid Puppy only.
Hello stu90,
thank you very much for your work, I was so much looking forward for a good CAD programm to come out for Puppy. (I'm using it in lubuntu already, but now, I can take it on my USB-chainring with me :) )

I downloaded your .sfs file in /mnt/home. Then I went to menu --> System --> Bootmanager configure bootup and chose the extra .sfs file to load at bootup.

Rebootet Lucid Puppy 5.2. Found DraftSight in the menu --> Graphic --> Draftsight. So far so good. Klicked on it, it seemed to start with the Logo, then disappeared/crashed.

Did I forget something during the install?

Thank you all in advance for your efforts and help.
Ben
PS. Using PL Lucid 5.2. on a 8 GiB USB-stick "out of the box".

stu90

#5 Post by stu90 »

Hi Ben,
I am not 100% certain but i think it requires an accelerated graphics driver. I will check in the morning.

You can check for and install accelerated drivers from the drivers tab in Quickpet:
Menu > Setup > Setup Puppy > Quickpet

nickdobrinich

DraftSight fail to load

#6 Post by nickdobrinich »

@Ben,
How much RAM do you have?
What are your machine specs?
I have found that DraftSight will run in 512 Mb but needs 1 Gb for larger drawings.

Ben

DraftSight needs accelerated graphic driver

#7 Post by Ben »

stu90 wrote:... i think it requires an accelerated graphics driver. ... install accelerated drivers from the drivers tab in Quickpet:
Menu > Setup > Setup Puppy > Quickpet
@stu90
Thank you, that did it. So, now, I installed the Xorg_High driver for the Matrox Graphics MGA G550 APG (rev 01).

@nickdobrinich.
On the Laptop 2 GiB RAM, and on the Desktop 3,5 (?) GiB with MS XP-SP3 -- don't know how to find out within Puppy.

(Now, I'm searching for a good forum on DraftSight for beginners. Or is anybody here interested in a sample .dwg - file with three dimensions, 2544 K? -- It's a pedal powered side-by-side tandem) - I can't find out how long the frame tubes are).
Attachments
2seater.GIF
(31.03 KiB) Downloaded 8015 times

nickdobrinich

Frame length

#8 Post by nickdobrinich »

The easiest way is use the DI command and then click a segment entity on the frame.
The command window will show you delta x, y, z lengths and the overall segment length in 3D.
You will have to do this on each segment and add them to get the overall frame length.

Ben

Re: Frame length

#9 Post by Ben »

nickdobrinich wrote:... use the DI command ...
Thank you, nickdobrinich. That works :) .

nickdobrinich

DraftSight mouse problem

#10 Post by nickdobrinich »

Has anyone else encountered problems with jerky delayed mouse movement in DraftSight?
I only see this on Dell D600 series laptops with Synaptics touchpads and an external USB mouse.
I've adjusted the mouse acceleration and threshold in Lighthouse Pup 5 although the mouse works fine in Lighthouse itself.
And I have adjusted the mouse pointer options as suggested on the DraftSight forum.
But the mouse is still almost unusable in DraftSight on these laptops.

PS These machines are dual boot Linux and windows and have the same problem with DraftSight (but not Windows AutoCAD) on both sides.

Edit: I tested this on a faster Dell laptop and mouse movement is much smoother.
Works fine on any desktop machine I've tried it on.
Last edited by nickdobrinich on Sun 10 Apr 2011, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

TheAsterisk!

Re: DraftSight mouse problem

#11 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Hey! A decent CAD system that doesn't cater exclusively to circuit board design! Alright!
Thanks a lot! It's working very nicely for me on Lucid 520.

(I keep expecting CATIA v5 to launch when I see "Dassault Systemes" on the splash image, but that's my problem, not yours. :roll:)

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

Has anyone figured out how to report bugs in it? Surely it isn't only people paying for support who can report bugs?
(N.B. it isn't a bug with the program I've found, just a deficiency of its fonts)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Geoffrey

#13 Post by Geoffrey »

Seems to work in Quirky 1.20, well it does for me, just had to make a system link to libaudiofile.so.0.0.2 when it couldn't find libaudio.so.2.

disciple said "Has anyone figured out how to report bugs in it? Surely it isn't only people paying for support who can report bugs? "

It says in the license agreement "The Non-Commercial Release Version also automatically collects certain system data and transmits the data to Dassault Systèmes for support purposes."

edit:

there is this, FreeCAD it's a lot smaller http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... =Main_Page
might be worth a look.
Last edited by Geoffrey on Fri 13 May 2011, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#14 Post by disciple »

Yes, but apart from crashes problems can't generally be automatically collected.

I was testing it on Windows (out of interest really, as we actually have a surplus of AutoCAD licenses at the moment). I noticed in some drawings from Standards NZ that it was displaying question marks instead of "smart quotes" and an unusual type of hypen. I've never seen these characters used on a drawing before, but they should at least make it possible to report things like this, so they have as good a chance as possible to compete with AutoCAD.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#15 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:Has anyone figured out how to report bugs in it?
Ah, here it is:
Go to https://swym.3ds.com/#community:70/iquestions, and there is a "Report a Problem" button down on the right-hand site.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

TheAsterisk!

#16 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Just a quick note: To make opening drawings from the filer simpler, you can create a script "/root/my-applications/bin/draftsight" - or whatever else you like, as long as it's in Puppy's executable paths - with the following code, and then just set the run action for *.dxf and *.dwg files to draftsight "$@"

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
t=`realpath "$@"`
/opt/dassault-systemes/draftsight/bin/DraftSight "$t"
It's apparently a very particular program and wants the full file path of each drawing, or else it will just open up to a new, empty drawing. This kludges me along merrily. :)

TheAsterisk!

#17 Post by TheAsterisk! »

The package in the first post is the first beta for DraftSight. A second beta for Linux was released, and I made an SFS4 package of the Ubuntu package for that second beta.

Beta-3 SFS4 now available. Please see later posts.

I included the little launcher script I mentioned in the previous post.

I've tested it on Lucid 528, and it should work with other Lucid Puppies. (Other Puppy versions may or may not work; I haven't tested them.)

The SFS is about 78 MB.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sun 30 Oct 2011, 09:10, edited 2 times in total.

disciple

#18 Post by disciple »

There's actually a beta 3 now :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

TheAsterisk!

#19 Post by TheAsterisk! »

disciple wrote:There's actually a beta 3 now :)
Is there? I can't seem to find a download.

At http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... raftsight/, I can find options for an Ubuntu *.deb and an *.rpm package, but both are labelled as Beta-2 downloads. (I'll attach a cropped screenshot.)

I know the Windows version is further along, though...

If you're aware of some other website where I can get more recent versions, please let me know.
Attachments
draftsight_dl.png
DraftSight download page
(50.09 KiB) Downloaded 1969 times

disciple

#20 Post by disciple »

This link off the arch linux aur works:
http://dl-ak.solidworks.com/nonsecure/d ... tSight.rpm
I know the Windows version is further along, though...
Yeah, it was out of beta long ago.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER