Converting media with Puppy 5.2

Using applications, configuring, problems
Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

slavvo67

#17 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Lobster:

VLC converts. You may want to look at that. I don't recall which formats but it should handle quite a few....

Best,

Slavvo67

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

Responding to a SIX YEAR OLD post? WOW! :roll:

Continued here >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 666#943666
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

greengeek

#19 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Semme - my ffmpeg tells me it doesn't have an MP4v codec even though it seems to use it when I use ffconvert to convert a video into the "LG Chocolate" phone format. Some websites tell me M4V and MP4V are the same thing and some websites say M4V is Apple only. This codec stuff is doing my head in. It's all a bit like opening Baboushka dolls.

I will keep trying various things...
cheers!

Semme

#20 Post by Semme »

Why MP4V? My Samsung plays mp4 just fine.

There's no sound, but this plays, right?

Can you link me an AVI sample of one that didn't convert with sound?

==

In addition I'd swap in a few of the suggestions here.

greengeek

#21 Post by greengeek »

Semme wrote:There's no sound, but this plays, right?
Can't seem to download it. Just get 0 bytes. I will retry after dinner.
Can you link me an AVI sample of one that didn't convert with sound?
They did convert with sound - I could view and play them successfully on PC - it is just that the phone won't play the audio part (plays the video portion fine). The dvd I ripped from was a shop bought one so may have some form of DRM (although I would have expected the video to be a no-go rather than the audio).

I plan to try a range of other rips/converts later to see if I can pin down what's happening

Semme

#22 Post by Semme »

Forget the file. No audio.

As for conversions, one or two avenues you can investigate. Either use an on phone converter, or go with a different video player. VLC, MX Player, PowerDirector.. You've got choices. You could even try one of the online converters. Beyond these it may simply be a shortcoming of the phone.

While I'd like to help, I'm unable to proof anything without your actual hardware.

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Semme. Understood - pretty hard to solve a problem without access to the specific hardware.

Just want to post here a quote from your wiki link:

Code: Select all

mp4v - This is a video codec. The name to use at the command line is mp4v, but you can also use m4v. This codec can be used inside the MPEG-4 containers. This codec is from the ffmpeg module.
They say you "can also use m4v" - implying they are the same thing - but I don't believe it. I get the feeling m4v is Apple use only (ipods etc) but mp4v is not for Apple use - used for all other devices.

Too many codecs, too little time. :-)

I will post back once I solve what the Samsung xcover B550 needs.

cheers!

greengeek

#24 Post by greengeek »

Solution to my problem detailed here

What I don't understand is how the video got formatted using the MP4V codec when it was not listed as being available within ffmpeg.

I wonder if ffconvert has access to other codecs somehow?

Anyway, problem solved thanks to ffconvert and it's presets (slightly modified by selecting audio "mono" instead of "same as source"

thanks for the help!
Attachments
MP4V_in_use.jpg
(22.91 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Pelo

change the default settings of screencast with ffconvert.

#25 Post by Pelo »

See convert topics FFconvert I am searching explanations why i cannot change the default settings or screencast. MPG release is good, with audio if you tick capture in Retrovol, but small very small video
Attachments
x11grab.png
error
(13.37 KiB) Downloaded 37 times