Modem and Printer work with Puppy 105

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
rwilliams

Modem and Printer work with Puppy 105

#1 Post by rwilliams »

MODEM THAT WORKS
The Zoom 3049C V.92/V.90 external serial port modem works using xeznet of Puppy 1.0.5. I purchased this moderately expensive modem via Amazon.com after a long, frustrating struggle to find a suitable Linux driver for my US Robotics PCI modem. Setup was relatively straightforward. After hooking up the Zoom modem and turning it on, the Puppy modem wizard reported it at COM1. Xeznet worked better for me than GKdial or WVdial.

I did find the Puppy Help xeznet manual necessary when I noticed that my dialup line automatically dropped without any notification after 5 minutes (300 seconds) of idle time. I disabled this time-out feature with the command: eznet change 0 idle=0. Note the necessary 0 and spaces between the words "change" and "idle". The manual example left this out. I also wanted to silence the loud modem speaker. The command that worked for that was: eznet change init2=atm0. I checked the entry success of these commands by listing the parameters stored in the eznet config file with the command: eznet list. The GUI way of setting these parameters in xeznet did not work as advertised because it would not save the parameters. When I used the modem I got the results I wanted.

Neither xeznet nor eznet appear to be supported anymore.

To make bringing up xeznet a one-click operation, I wrote a two line script:
#!/bin/ash
/.usr_cram/sbin/xeznet.tcl

I made this executable, dragged it to the desktop, then right-clcked on it, selected "set icon", and chose "network24.xpm" from /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps because it was suggestive of the function and different from my other desktop icons.

PRINTER THAT WORKS
After downloading HP drivers, researching CUPS, etc. and wasting a lot of time failing to get my HP psc 1315xi to work with Puppy, I bought a used Canon MP360 through Amazon.com and selected the Canon-BJC 7000 in Xpdq as suggested by the http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PrintersWorking page. Sylpheed emails will print and documents handled by Abiword will print, including embedded pictures. So far I have not found a way to print a graphic directly from a .jpg file other than insert it in a blank Abi page. Paint does not seem to have a print option.

Is there an imaging program for Puppy that will allow editing brightness, contrast, resolution, etc. and then print?

praticles

gimp

#2 Post by praticles »

hi

try gimp