Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 16:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
How long lasts an installed Puppi on hdd or pendrive?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
navegante

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar 2011, 23:52    Post_subject:  How long lasts an installed Puppi on hdd or pendrive?  

In my case using it heavy with luck a few days. Normal case are a few hours to a day.

Please don't misunderstand me, I use Puppi everyday for rescue and tasks. I like it very much but it seems I have bad luck installing it to a computer.
Sometimes I suspect it could have something to do with beeing all the time root-user but I really don't know.
James C

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 00:08    Post_subject:  

I'm still running some Puppy installs for more than a year. I'm still running a Puppy 4.20 install that I did the day it was released. Smile
Don't know what your problem is, but Puppy running as root isn't it.
postfs1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 01:19    Post_subject:  

I don't have "Puppy Linux" on hdd, but i load it into RAM and wait for the messages from some programs which give the reason to make a rebooting. The messages appear relatively quickly - it can be one day or two days of waiting. Solution: to buy a technical support or to find a lot of time and interest for documentation reading.
I think that "Puppy Linux" is a helpful jewel.

Edited_times_total
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 01:44    Post_subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
I have a full hdd install of my Icepup 3.01 on a P2 333mhz compaq with 128mb ram and 256mb swap...It is a kids machine, and has had various children playing a plethora of games on it, connected to the net via wireless, watched movies off AVI cd`s, all running as root...
Since 2008....

My main desktop, a P3 600 384mb ram, ran Buddapup, with E-16 for 2 years, then PAW for another, and now runs Lupu 5.11 with E-16...Very stable thru power failures, children who like buttons, etc...This along with a dozen or so other frugal installs and XP too... Rolling Eyes
Do partition ext3 if you can, you will be glad you did...
Frugal install is best IMHO, but both have good and bad...
The only full install I have is the P2, but it is @ >3 yrs and running....
In all fairness, 3.01 was T2 based and VERY stable....
At least for me....

Puppy since 2.15CE...
rokytnji

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 02:01    Post_subject:  

Been running Macpup, Puppeee, and MyWolfe on Pendrives and SD cards on my Netbooks pretty heavy. Some of my installs are over a year old.

If one messes up. I do a disk check using gparted since one problem can be over writes that fill pendrive up from improper shutdowns or improper unmounts. Doing a check in gparted on unmounted pendrive fixes this. If one looks at the unmounted pen drive in gparted. You will see the whole drive filled with data Just run a check (right click unmount, right click check).

After it is finished and refreshed. You will see that data wrote on partition has shrunk which means you fixed it. I have fixed my Macpup and Pupeee pendrives doing this method. MyWolfe I have just made and have not had this problem yet with it. But if it happens I already
know how to fix this. So no biggy. These are all frugal pendrive installs with backup personal save files on internal hardrives on my netbooks if save file becomes borked or corrupted with my experimentation.
navegante

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 17:24    Post_subject:  

Thank you for your answers. I really love Puppy, specially those made by Barry himself, I find they have a special care, maybe more experience set in. I made my first steps 1 1/2 year ago in Linux with Puppi and as I told above I use it everyday . Every obsolete working and nearly working computer any custumer gives me I give it to others who needs one. Last time I tried to save an old Toshiba laptop, Celeron M, 256mb ram, hdd dead, cdrom very noisy, one line of dead pixels on the right side of the screen. Quirky on pendrive worked well, I could not install it through the usb installer, used the Puppi universal installer and after a few hours it went corrupt.
For hdd's I prefere a full install for performance, with pendrives I use the usb installer that comes with Puppi if possible. Maybe that's the problem. Should I use frugal install for stability?

Edited_time_total
racepres

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 17:31    Post_subject:  

I suspect that Frugal install is perhaps more stable. I use it for the back-up, ability, and I can change machines easily, yet take my "stuff" with me!!
RP
Also It may be the easiest to "install"!
rokytnji

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar 2011, 17:35    Post_subject:  

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot