Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 21:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Remastering - Getting it right (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Dougal

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar 2011, 16:02    Post subject:  

Rattlehead wrote:
I followed step by step Dougal's instructions but I did not succeed. My kernel panicked again when booting from the new DVD. (My installation is in the hard drive, btw).

Hola, Torrente, a kernel panic is something more serious than the little changes you make in the sfs, it is usually something with the initrd/init script, or when switching to the sfs... it tends to happen as a result of a misnamed file/partition etc. so you want to try and boot with pfix=debug or something and see when the panic happens.

But I think it's your mind
Rattlehead

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar 2011, 15:24    Post subject:  

SUCCESS Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I had forgotten to add the CD's files to puppylivecdbuild. As I didn't understand most of the explanation, I guess I just copied the code and skipped the line that told to do so Embarassed .

I redid the whole process and now it works. Thank you very much people, you're cool.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 20:00    Post subject:  

Just getting this on my list so I can read it several times and work out why I am having problems remastering..
labbe5

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 15:02    Post subject:  kernel panick! Is remaster utility buggy in Wary 5.5?
Subject description: Is solution a new pet to replace actual remaster utility in Wary 5.5?

Hi,
Having same problem : kernel panic when remastering Wary 5.5. Having a remaster would relieve the pressure about breaking something on my actual savefile. I took another approach : a backup of savefiles on dvd. But this way, no fresh frugal install is possible on a new machine. It will be buggy, if using same savefile from, for exemple Dell computer, single core, to Compaq double core. Since i am a simple end-user, i would need a simple solution.
What is baffling me is that the kernel panic can stall the booting process, from LiveCD, even though all went well for a long time on the same PC. And it's not even a remaster.
I thought for a while that the remaster utility of Wary 5.5 was buggy, so i lost hope about a remaster of Wary. Then i found this topic on the forum, so maybe i can do something to correct the problem. Such as a Pet to replace the actual remaster utility on Wary, a simple solution for a simple end-user like me.
Hopeful.
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 02:01    Post subject:  

This manual remastering method works but the directory of the puppyfilesystem needs to be in a puppy file system environment for the copying of the files. I enlarged my save file and created the puppyfilesystem folder in / of the running system. Still need to experiment a bit more with the adding of files from the save file although I just copied root and etc from the running system (and replaced those directories in the puppyfilesystem folder).
Page 2 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: