Lighthouse Pup 5.03 203M Wine 1.3.14 (not being maintained)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
don570

#211 Post by don570 »

I have a geoforce2 board as well

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 081#436081

I was able to get the NVIDIA-96.43.16_lupu500-k2.6.33.2.pet
to work on Lucid puppy.

The only suggestion I can give is to read the tips page very carefully
http://www.lhpup.org/tips-lhp.htm
then try to install a proprietory driver that Tazoc has
prepared. But it probably won't work.

http://lhpup.org/sfs/%3C%3C-PET/503/System/

If I knew more about compiling I would make a NVIDIA-96.43.16
driver. That's a project for the future :lol:

EDIT: I see that Tazoc has a nvidia 96 driver compiled
http://lhpup.org/pet/5/NVIDIA-96.43.16- ... -1.7.7.pet

But it says LHP version 502. No mention of 503???
I'll test it and see if it works in 503.

You could try it as well.

PenguinPupLin

#212 Post by PenguinPupLin »

After a few tries,the xorg NVdia96 driver works for LHP5.0.3!
don570, you make me so happy,can't thank you enough. Of course,I salute Tarzoc for his driver.
I'm raring to go,but must calm myself down and ask you:Will it work for my other Puppies,eg Wary 511 or 522, Puppy 431(Brunopup actually), and possibly for older puppies/kernels such as Classic Pup 214X-TOP9 as well as Legacy OS 2 based on kernel 2.6.18.1? Hope I'm not asking for too much.
To be exact,I use this one http://lhpup.org/pet/5/NVIDIA-96.43.16- ... -1.7.7.pet, not the the one for lupu. Aren't they the same?

As an aside,my other problem remains,unrelated to this issue as it was there before when using xvesa,i.e my LHP5.0.3 randomly freezes; I've just created a new pupsave and it's still happening. Memtest ran with no error,shouldn't be overheating problem as Wary 511 runs fine for hours. Sorry,this could be an issue for another thread.Just trying my luck here.Ignore me if I'm being impolite. Still in cloud nine after getting xorg NVidia driver to work for my notebook.Now,got to run FlSynclient to try and configure my touchpad tapping to work.
With people like you all in the Puppy Linux community, the computer world is so much more fun and meaningful, as well as benefiting the world at large.
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#213 Post by Jim1911 »

PenguinPupLin wrote:I'm raring to go,but must calm myself down ask you:Will it work for my other Puppies,eg Wary 511 or 522, Puppy 431(Brunopup actually), and possibly for older puppies/kernels such as Classic Pup 214X-TOP9 as well as Legacy OS 2 based on kernel 2.6.18.1? Hope I'm not asking for too much.
It will not work, the driver must be compiled for each kernel source used.

@don570 You can compile your own driver as follows:

1. Download the devx and kernel source sfs files and place them in /mnt/home.

2. Run the boot manager in the setup wizard to have them loaded on the next reboot, then reboot.

3. Download the proprietary driver for your graphics card here.

4. Logout to the prompt and switch to the directory that the driver
was downloaded to and execute

Code: Select all

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.19.run
(substitute your downloaded driver)

5. When it's finished compiling run xorgwizard and choose the nvidia
driver and set the resolution, back at the prompt enter "xwin" to get
back to the desktop.

NOTE: If your distribution has the nouveau driver, it must be removed, otherwise your compile will fail.

PenguinPupLin

#214 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks Jim1911 for your prompt reply or I'd have plunged in with disastrous consequences,perhaps.
Much as I appreciate it,I'm afraid I'm not up to the task, being still quite a noob. Btw,my notebook uses the NV11 Geforce 2 Go chipset for all those puppies I multi-boot. Sigh.
One more thing,does it matter that I'm using an external LCD panel in place of my faulty notebook screen? Any synchronization problem?

Jim1911

#215 Post by Jim1911 »

PenguinPupLin wrote:Thanks Jim1911 for your prompt reply or I'd have plunged in with disastrous consequences,perhaps.
Much as I appreciate it,I'm afraid I'm not up to the task, being still quite a noob. Btw,my notebook uses the NV11 Geforce 2 Go chipset for all those puppies I multi-boot. Sigh.
One more thing,does it matter that I'm using an external LCD panel in place of my faulty notebook screen? Any synchronization problem?
Do a search for NVIDIA drivers using Puppy Google Search. There is a good chance that someone has already prepared a pet or sfs for the kernel that you are using.

I have no first hand experience using an external LCD panel but it should work fine as long as it's set for the proper resolution.

PenguinPupLin

#216 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks Jim. Only managed to find one Nvidia-96.43.13-k2.6.30.5-1.pet that works for my Puppy 431 and very happy with that.

As for Wary 522 and Quickset Wary511, I decided to try my hand at installing the nvidia driver using your method but kept running into "Verifying archive integrity...Error in check sums..." despite having double-checked the checksums to be matching after downloading the devx and source files. Actually,I use an md5sum utility in windows to compare the checksums in Windows as I'm more confident with it than using the Puppy gtkhash calculator to do a visual check.

For Wary 522, I used these files : devx_wary_5.2.2.sfs, kernel_src_2.6.32-uni-45-patched-sfs, and the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.20-pkg1.run.
First, I copied all 3 files to /mnt/home.
Then, run bootconfig manager to load the devx and source files at bootup and reboot.
Next,exited to prompt, cd /mnt/home.
Followed by, sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.20-pkg1.run
And got the error message.

The steps were the same for Quickset Wary511 but I wasn't 100% sure I got the correct files, namely, wary_devx_511.sfs, kernel_src-2.6.32.28-patched.sfs. I based them on what I got from uname -a except that quickset wary uses the small iso without language packs.

Hoped to receive your further guidance or welcome response from anyone for a noob who was gung-ho to plunge into the deep end albeit a failed maiden attempt.
Edit: Just did another checksum to make sure ,this time using puppy's gtkhash and found no discrepancy.

don570

#217 Post by don570 »

I tried Tazoc's http://lhpup.org/pet/5/NVIDIA-96.43.16- ... -1.7.7.pet

on Lighthouse 503g and it didn't work for me. There must be a reason
why it's listed for Lighthouse 502 only :cry:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49384

I see that a guy has been collection nvidia drivers but not for Lighthouse.
http://www.revolutionvoice.com/dl.html

you to quickly set up again.

Jim1911

#218 Post by Jim1911 »

PenguinPupLin wrote: For Wary 522, I used these files : devx_wary_5.2.2.sfs, kernel_src_2.6.32-uni-45-patched-sfs, and the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.20-pkg1.run.
Sorry, I cannot duplicate your error. I did not have Wary 5.2.2 so I installed it and compiled the driver using the same files mentioned above with no errors. Although I used driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run which is the latest version for my card. You must have a bad download of the source or devx file. Also, you may need to download a different driver for your video card.

You could try shinobar's sfs files that he has for Wary. His files are usually very reliable.

Any further discussion should be on the Wary thread or an Nvidia thread. We don't want to hijack this thread.

PenguinPupLin

#219 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Solved: Sorry,it turned out to be a faulty Nvidia96.43.20 download,there being no md5sum to check. Sincerely appreciate don and Jim for their kind responses. Success tastes sweet. :D

PenguinPupLin

#220 Post by PenguinPupLin »

I noticed a few of the menu icons disappeared with labels remaining, eg under Utilities. Can't recall exactly what I did before that happened but it occurred to both PCs using radeon graphics cards, one Radeon9550 on the built-in radeon driver while the other ,Radeon HD5450, used the ati-catalyst-10.6 driver from Lighthouse Update. 'Refresh menus' or 'fixmenus' in console failed to fix it.

For the HD5450, I tried updating the driver to ati-catalyst-11-12 manually using the ati-driver-installer with the requisite LHP devx and kernel source files successfully but the disappearing-icons problem remains.

Also tried switching from JWM to ICEWM, stil the same, but switching to XFCE restores it to original state, so I don't think it's caused by the radeon driver

How do I restore the icons in JWM and ICEWM? Any guidance appreciated. TIA.

Added: Another strange,probably related,problem, clicking on the desktop causes the wbar to disappear.

HiDeHo

#221 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi Is this lhp 503-g the final version being made of the 32bit LHP

I do hope you are still working hard on it. but also i know when its done its done. lol

michel804

Installing debian package

#222 Post by michel804 »

First thanks to all for a very good distro that does everything expected and more. I recently tried to install a debian package so i can have a java compiler ( i am taking a class). the package manager gave a successful message BUT there was no compiler. So i want to know what i need to do to install the JDK in LHP. I have LHP 5.03 mariner, frugal install. thanks
Michel

gcmartin

Re: Installing debian package

#223 Post by gcmartin »

michel804 wrote:First thanks to all for a very good distro that does everything expected and more. I recently tried to install a debian package so i can have a java compiler ( i am taking a class). the package manager gave a successful message BUT there was no compiler. So i want to know what i need to do to install the JDK in LHP. I have LHP 5.03 mariner, frugal install. thanks
Michel
I am not a Puppy Linux developer, but I thinik for compilers to work you MAY need the DEVX SFS for 5.03G in order for desired results.

Other community members may provide better answers to this need.

Hope this helps

rcrsn51

#224 Post by rcrsn51 »

So i want to know what i need to do to install the JDK in LHP. I have LHP 5.03 mariner, frugal install. thanksMichel
Please provide a link to the JDK package you installed.

Cherag

not detecting Network Interface for a Lenovo 4518 pc

#225 Post by Cherag »

Hi,

I am beginer in GNU/Linux and need help in detecting a network interface on a Lenovo 4518 model pc. I have booted directly from USB ( no installation) and tried lading many modules from the list but cannot get the network inteface detected.

The network adapter is an Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Thanks in Advance,

gcmartin

#226 Post by gcmartin »

rcrsn51 wrote:
So i want to know what i need to do to install the JDK in LHP. I have LHP 5.03 mariner, frugal install. thanksMichel
Please provide a link to the JDK package you installed.
If my memory serves me correct (lifelong problem of mine) JRE is built into the Mariner product and its boot sequense.

Hope this helps.

Pelo

J'ai le Web ! Internet OK with eth0

#227 Post by Pelo »

Hello everybody. I kept this distro because I enjoyed very much it, but impossible to connect.
This morning i have success with this pet atl1e-v1.0.1.14-k2.6.33.2.pet.
Yes de yes !
merci a celui qui l'a fait.
My computer is a Medion akoya.
Attachments
atl1e-v1.0.1.14-k2.6.33.2.pet
A plus
(36.06 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

Pelo

LHP maintained by me

#228 Post by Pelo »

LHP maintained by me, I think about using a newer version (64 bits ?). Hum... I am sceptical.
Memo of clinical features (by a frenchy veterinarian) :
LHP503 pas de wifi pas de son
Installation avec luci de la Puplette de Petithar (kernel 3.0.25 de Racy 5.3). les firmware, modules de lib sont ceux de la Racy
Les modules de etc aussi
pas de souris active.
Je met une sauvegarde de la puplette et change lucisave en LHPsave. La souris fonctionne. Mais pas de réseau internet, ni de son.
Mots de passe : root et woofwoof