Tipsy Puppy 4.1.2 v1 released

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fgenius

Tipsy Puppy 4.1.2 v1 released

#1 Post by fgenius »

I've always wanted to run my games in Puppy, and now I'm able. Thanks to gray for NOP 4.1.2, wow for his Compiz pet, tombh for his excellent tutorial on how to put all together. In essence, Tipsy Puppy is a shameless compound of the following:

Nearly Office Puppy (NOP) 4.1.2
wine 4.1.14 plus cabextract 1.2
fusion-28Jul08pup4-i686, plus python for ccsm and libwnck-2.23.4-i686
TiMidity++-2.13.0 (especially for DOS games)
NVIDIA-177.82-k2.6.25.16 drivers

All of them (except for NOP, of course) were found in .pet format in different posts of this forum, so Puppy added them with nary a howl. To get the Nvidia driver running (and therefore compiz and the games), I only had to run: nvidia-xconfig --composite in terminal and restart xwindows.

The rest took care of itself. Now I have compiz for my desktop, running on top of xfce (beautiful and functional), and most of my windows games work like a charm. I've tried tenebrae quake, quake 2, NOLF, doom 3, jedi knight, jedi outcast, and a whole lot more. Awesome. I can get rid of windows now.

You can find Tipsy Puppy 4.1.2 (nvidia version, boot problem fixed) here:

http://www.adrive.com/public/9fe80366d5 ... fe23f.html

mirror:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QCOR0UVY

(another mirror by Dingo further down on this page)

And here's the ATI version:

http://www.adrive.com/public/71247f38ff ... e6436.html

It's not as pretty as the NVidia version because I couldn't get compiz to run, but it runs many windows games quite well. It seems the problem with compiz is that the ATI driver doesn't allow for composite extensions.

There's also a version of Tipsy Puppy with regular xorg drivers, if everything else fails. But beware, it is very slow running heavy graphics:

http://www.adrive.com/public/ae9d6caa17 ... 1a3cd.html

Finally, here's a version with no graphic drivers. You can put this on a flash drive, and keep the drivers in a folder in .pet form (there are some good ones right in this forum), to install when you need them. I couldn't resist the temptation to add wolfpup's dosbox 0.72 (no menu item), plus streamtuner. It doesn't include compiz, which wouldn't run without graphic drivers, anyway, to save weight.

http://www.adrive.com/public/6f4d5f6405 ... 86fcf.html

If you get problems with midi in dosbox, do this:
-open dosbox, type config -writeconf dosbox.conf
-open file manager, open /root/dosbox.conf
-in the [midi] section, find the line that says config= and make it config=128:0
-save and restart dosbox, now midi music (through timidity++) should work.

You can help to make Tipsy Puppy better. There are a few things that need improvement:

1. I could not get the ATI driver to work with compiz. Maybe a method similar to that used by Ripple to select videocards the first time xorgwizard is run would be best. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to code it in.

2. ditto for Intel drivers.

3. the lower xfce panel sometimes refuses to go away when a game goes fullscreen. It's not so bad if you move the panel to the top and hide it before starting the game, but I'm sure it can be done better.

4. sometimes compiz gets in the way; I can shut it down with xfwm4 --replace but it would be better if it didn't misbehave at all.

Thanks, and have fun!

update 4/5/09: adrive.com links have been updated; they should last about two weeks!
Last edited by fgenius on Sun 05 Apr 2009, 19:21, edited 8 times in total.

puppyiso

Thank you Thank you Thank you

#2 Post by puppyiso »

I am a big fan of wine. Great job. Thank you.

davesurrey

#3 Post by davesurrey »

Downloaded this tonight and burned the iso to CD.

But trying to boot it up it only gets as far as
Loading kernel drivers...
and then when it is
searching for puppy files in computer drives
it returns the message
puppy_410.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
The CD contains a pup_412.sfs file as I would have expected so how do I overcome this boot problem?

Has anyone tried to get this to work?

puppyiso...you say
Great job...
did you get it booting or was that a general comment??

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sounds like it has the wrong initrd.gz file in the iso. It needs to either be replaced with one from 4.12 (probably the best and simplest option), or to have the initrd.gz file it includes opened up and the PUPPYVERSION file updated.

For people who have grub installed, they could just manually set up a frugal install and grab the initrd.gz out of the 4.12 iso instead. Same goes for usb users.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

davesurrey

#5 Post by davesurrey »

Thanks Pizzasgood,

As you suggested I copied the files for a frugal install except using initrd.gz from a standard Pup412.

It booted up fine and after installing nvidia-173 drivers for my card and a few tweaks it's working perfectly. Quite impressive.

Out of interest just what is needed to "open up" these files and edit them? Excuse my ignorance.

Thanks again
Dave

fgenius

sorry about the boot problem

#6 Post by fgenius »

Oops!

I guess the problem is that I made the ISO copying the bootfile from a 4.10 disk. Will correct that as soon as I get back home. In the meantime, you can just extract the .sfs and put it in a flashdrive that has already been initialized. This is what I did for the testing.

I've been working on a version that will run also on ATI cards. The best I've been able to do is make a puppy without any special video drivers, and then add them later for your specific card. Links will be provided.

fgenius

#7 Post by fgenius »

Thanks for the quick testing, folks! I've uploaded a new iso, hopefully done right this time, so there shouldn't be any boot problems this time.

I'll get an ATI version up tomorrow. It won't be so pretty, because ATI refuses to run compiz (help, please!), and has a nasty habit of changing xorgwizard so nothing else will install after that, but it's a start.

davesurrey

#8 Post by davesurrey »

Hi fgenius,

Got it running with a frugal install after replacing the initrd.gz file with one from puppy 4.1.2

My graphics card on this PC is an nvidia FX5200 so had to add the nvidia -173-driver.pet and now have compiz working really well.
Of course it's always possible to get into all sorts of trouble by mis-tweaking compiz tgoo agressively but that not Tipsy's fault.

Only problem I've seen to date has been adding Openoffice sfs. I used the openoffice-3.0.0.sfs file which works well with NOP-412 but crashes on Tipsy. Did you leave out_anything_from NOP tht might be affecting it?

Looking forward to seeing your ATI version which my main PC uses and also Intel (?) to see if this will go onto my Asus eee.

Great work
Dave

fgenius

#9 Post by fgenius »

Hi davesurrey,

I've remastered Tipsy Puppy with (hopefully) the correct version of initrd.gz, and uploaded the iso (link updated in the first post). There's also versions for ATI and generic video cards, but I haven't been able to make them run compiz.

Let me know if there's still problems.

Let's make this puppy awesome!

Dingo

#10 Post by Dingo »

replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

davesurrey wrote:Out of interest just what is needed to "open up" these files and edit them? Excuse my ignorance.
To "open" an iso, you just mount it. It's read-only though, so you'd have to copy out the files, make any edits, and then create a new iso.

Code: Select all

mount -o loop /path/to/puppy.iso /mnt/data
cp -a /mnt/data isolinux-builds
umount /mnt/data
###make any edits inside the isolinux-builds directory now
mkisofs -o cd-puppy.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ./isolinux-builds/
To edit the initrd.gz file, you have to expand it. It used to be a compressed ext2 filesystem image in Puppy 1 and most of Puppy 2, but since I think the last release of Puppy 2 it has been a compressed cpio archive, and is extracted like this:

mkdir initrd-tree
cd initrd-tree
zcat ../initrd.gz | cpio -i -d
And put back together like this (from inside the new initrd-tree/ directory):

find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../initrd.gz
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

smokey01

#12 Post by smokey01 »

fgenius,

Tipsy is a great puplet. I have only had a quick look but what I have seen so far is very good.

How do you explain this:

For some reason my computer doesn't like the k2.6.25.16 kernel, however, I notice that's what is in Tipsy and it runs fine.

Is the kernel different to the standard puppy 4.1.2 Normal kernel?

Good Job
Last edited by smokey01 on Fri 06 Mar 2009, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

davesurrey

#13 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Pizzasgood,
Thanks for your help and advice. I think it'll start me on the road to exploring and learning much more about Puppy!!
Cheers
Dave

seeker

#14 Post by seeker »

YEEEE HAAAAWW!!

Hey fgenius, I'm having a blast with this! And I don't have a good graphics card either, just the one built into the mobo, a Radeon chip if I'm not mistaken. I can't believe it! I'm using your xorg version. Amazing! I thought I would never get my old games running in Linux. I installed Wolfpups dosbox 0.72 and my old games are working great!

BTW I'm running live CD with a 1.75 GB save file, 315 MB left in it.

This is what I have so far:

WINE
Quake ---- Perfect
Quake 2 ---- Perfect
Unreal ---- Very Good

DOSBOX 0.72 Linux version

Duke Nukem 3d ---- Perfect
Blood ---- Perfect
Rise of the Triad ---- Perfect
Redneck Rampage ---- Perfect
Redneck Rampage Rides Again ---- Perfect
Doom II ---- Perfect
Wolf3d shareware ---- Perfect

Many, many thanks!

Seeker

fgenius

#15 Post by fgenius »

Hi,

I hope all the problems with the nvidia release are fixed and you folks are enjoying it. For those who can't decide which video card they want to use, or who move from computer to computer with different cards, I've added a new "plain" version with no video drivers, so you can add the drivers from a pet package right on the spot. Link is in the first post.

This puppy has lost some weight by shedding compiz and all its accoutrements. But it got hungry and swallowed dosbox 0.72 before I could stop it. It also swallowed streamtuner, for those occasions when you don't like the game music and prefer to get something else.

Enjoy!

BTW, how do you add a menu item for dosbox? Any luck with that?

davesurrey

#16 Post by davesurrey »

Ahhhh!!!
It was the very fact that Tipsy could handle compiz so well that attracted it to me initially.
Great to have a version without the drivers but without compiz it's not for me.
Any chance a compiz version without drivers or a clue as to how I can add compiz back to a non driver version.

Still really enjoying your orig nvidia version which is rock solid.
Thanks
Dave

dWLkR

#17 Post by dWLkR »

hi!

thanks! any chance - to get a working mirror for the ATI-version?!

tia!

bongmaster

#18 Post by bongmaster »

hi the link for the ati version fails, it says the file is no longer there? :(
*Under Renewal*

Bobby1

#19 Post by Bobby1 »

I am having a small problem with Tipsy. Regardless of whether I use 177, 173 or 96 nvidia drivers, when I start compiz manager I get a small white screen. I cannot adjust any compiz settings. Any idea?
Thanks in advance,

PS. What is the password for the Matrix screensaver when you hit ctr+alt+del? :-)

Bobby1

#20 Post by Bobby1 »

I am having a small problem with Tipsy. Regardless of whether I use 177, 173 or 96 nvidia drivers, when I start compiz manager I get a small white screen. I cannot adjust any compiz settings. Any idea?
Thanks in advance,

PS. What is the password for the Matrix screensaver when you hit ctr+alt+del? :-)