[SOLVED]What happens when i delete inbuilt files of puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
AJK101

[SOLVED]What happens when i delete inbuilt files of puppy

#1 Post by AJK101 »

So, i was wondering if i could remove some applications like geany (since i prefer nicoedit). I went to .packages/builtin_files/geany
found all the files listed there, and deleted them, then i deleted the .desktop files and everything was fine, so i rebooted, wondering if it would reappear or not, it didn't. But when i mounted a copy of puppy.sfs i made on that boot, geany still existed there. I was wondering what exactly happened.

Does my .2fs save file have a completely filesystem? when i boot, it loads the sfs and 2fs files (according to the message). So, could someone please explain?
Last edited by AJK101 on Fri 25 Feb 2011, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Thanks GustavoYz you describe it good while I only wild guessed.

I would use the wellminded search engine on Murga Puppy linux forum to find threads about remastering and such

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Try different keyword search in that one and you find many explanations.

I trust Barry Kauler have a history on how Puppy have changed through the years of Development too and there you have the structure described and what is needed for to make a Puppy as you want it.

If you are good at being structured then you can learn to use Woof and make your very own version with only those things you give priority to and have your own distro version.
Last edited by nooby on Thu 24 Feb 2011, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

GustavoYz

#3 Post by GustavoYz »

I think that there is only one method of uninstall built-in apps without entering into the 'Remaster' terrain (I wont contemplate the idea of delete the program files by hand, one by one).
Go to ibiblio repository and install EXACTLY THE SAME PACKAGE that you want to uninstall. Yes, i'm not drunk...:P
Doing this, you'll overwrite the existent files.
Now, uninstall it from PPM.

If you delete the .desktop file and the plain-text file into /.Packages, you're not uninstalling, just hiding the menu-entry and 'register' of the app.

AJK101

misunderstanding

#4 Post by AJK101 »

okay, you have misunderstood me slightly, i didn't just delete the text file in /rot/.packages i deleted all the files that it listed in the text file. That text file contains all the files that were created by the installer when whoever put them in the main sfs file, and deleted them. BUT i don't know what exactly happens, but it doesn't actually get deleted from the main sfs, as i am guessing puppy doesn't modify that file when shutting down.

Just a run through, i deleted ALL files on my machine corresponding to geany (this was properly done), and then when i restarted (i.e. when the sfs and my save file (2fs) are loaded) it wasn't present. But my sfs file still contains all the geany files (but doesn't load them when i boot the computer)

So, what exactly does puppy do when i delete a file? (cuz it is still present, but doesn't load)

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

When you delete a file that exists in the sfs, a "whiteout" file is created that masks the original. You can see these hidden files in /initrd/pup_rw. They are named .wh.xxx.

GustavoYz

#6 Post by GustavoYz »

rcrsn51 wrote:When you delete a file that exists in the sfs, a "whiteout" file is created that masks the original. You can see these hidden files in /initrd/pup_rw. They are named .wh.xxx.
Exactly.

Your information its stored on the pupsave and not in your SFS, thus the apps are still there but the info inside your pupsave is 'blocking' the files.
If you want to delete those files from the main SFS, you should modify it (all this sounds like a remaster issue to me).

You can always recreate the main SFS manually, see this great scripts from jrb: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46283

If what you really want its to get a base to build a customized system, the solution to try its called Tiny Core.
But let me tell you my experience: to get a few number of functions working (like a browser, a media player and a text editor), you'll have to install deps and libs... a lot of them.
The resulting 'sys-thingy', its not so much tinier or faster than Puppy and it is no-way-even-close to the puppy inbuilt functionality... But maybe all of this just happens to me.
I bet that rcrsn51 Tiny Core system runs great... 8)

AJK101

thanks

#7 Post by AJK101 »

Ah, i see, got it, thanks a lot :)

rjbrewer

Re: thanks

#8 Post by rjbrewer »

AJK101 wrote:Ah, i see, got it, thanks a lot :)
With a "full" install, any files that are deleted are permanently
gone; and the space they were using is recovered.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ICPUG

#9 Post by ICPUG »

rjbrewer wrote:
Until the next update! :D

rjbrewer

#10 Post by rjbrewer »

ICPUG wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:
Until the next update! :D
Meaning?

Full installs

AJK101

#11 Post by AJK101 »

I guess he means that it will be deleted until you update the puppy to another version, when the deleted files will be replaced, as according to the update, they are supposed to exist?

Anyway, i am adding solved to the title, thanks for all the help.

rjbrewer

#12 Post by rjbrewer »

AJK101 wrote:I guess he means that it will be deleted until you update the puppy to another version, when the deleted files will be replaced, as according to the update, they are supposed to exist?

Obviously! Don't add what you've just deleted.

Full installs

ICPUG

#13 Post by ICPUG »

rjbrewer wrote:
AJK101 wrote:I guess he means that it will be deleted until you update the puppy to another version, when the deleted files will be replaced, as according to the update, they are supposed to exist?

Obviously! Don't add what you've just deleted.
Not so obvious.

If you update from say version 5.x to 5.x+1 what control do you have to say don't add this cos I don't actually want it. None.

You will have to delete it again or am I missing something?

rjbrewer

#14 Post by rjbrewer »

ICPUG wrote:
If you update from say version 5.x to 5.x+1 what control do you have to say don't add this cos I don't actually want it. None.

You will have to delete it again or am I missing something?
I think you're starting to catch on. :shock:

Full installs