The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

Testing LIveCD

#961 Post by gcmartin »

Very polished Lupu RC. goes to the desktop without issues. "Personalized Settings" has a correct resolution for this laptop. LiveCD working fine for apps tested. I have a report and a suggestion to consider
A Report

Code: Select all

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 521
Chip description:
 Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
 Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution:   Depth: 
___________ From HardInfo ____________________
From Operating System Report
-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 2.6.33.2 (i686)
Compiled		: #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010
C Library		: GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler		: Unknown
Distribution		: Puppy Linux 0.52
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: Puppy-V521
User Name		: root (root)
Home Directory		: /root
Desktop Environment		: Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)
-Misc-
Uptime		: 10 minutes
Load Average		: 0.00, 0.07, 0.07

From Display Report
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
Version		: 1.7.6
-Monitors-
Monitor 0		: 1440x900 pixels
-OpenGL-
Vendor		: Unknown
Renderer		: Unknown
Version		: Unknown
Direct Rendering		: No

From Summary Report
-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2080  @ 1.73GHz
Memory		: 1545MB (102MB used)
Operating System		: Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon 28 Mar 2011 11:14:23 AM UTC
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Unknown
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
 CHICONY HP Basic USB Keyboard
 Power Button
 Sleep Button
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 Video Bus
 PC Speaker
-SCSI Disks-
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A
USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive
A suggestion to consider
Barry included something that comes "out of the box" in WARY: 'glxgears'. The major advantage that this alllows any of us is that one can get a glxgears video report prior to making changes to the driver to improve video performatnce. Then, after making ddriver changes, a glxgears can be run again to compare what impact the driver upgrade.performed. If Lupu could include this, it would allow us to do the same...to compare "before and after" tweaking video. Not sure if there is any other way to do this out of the box on Lupu.

Hope this helps

gcmartin

Browser concerns

#962 Post by gcmartin »

Sharing something noticed regarding browsers
  • using Dillo in the forum.
  • When selecting "SeaMonkey" the offerings are not as current as they could be; namely 2.0.13 and 2.1.b2 which has some useful security modes.
Lupu is very stable, so far.[/img]
Attachments
Dillo Error using forum.png
(108.84 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 28 Mar 2011, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#963 Post by Lobster »

Barry has created a 11MB Seamonkey
Sadly our 'SQLlite is too old' in Lupu rc to run :cry:
http://www.bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02198
That could make a big difference to those on slow connections . . .
but it may have to be compiled for Lupu/luci/Puppy Lucid 5.2.1 (same thing guys)

The Ethernet initial connection is not persistent after the savefile reboot
and has to be set again.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rjbrewer

Re: Testing LIveCD

#964 Post by rjbrewer »

gcmartin wrote: Barry included something that comes "out of the box" in WARY: 'glxgears'.

Hope this helps
Run the graphics driver upgrade from quickpet.
Type glxgears in console.

Wary did it the same way for almost every version.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ttuuxxx

#965 Post by ttuuxxx »

Lobster wrote:Barry has created a 11MB Seamonkey
Sadly our 'SQLlite is too old' in Lupu rc to run :cry:
That could make a big difference to those on slow connections . . .
but it may have to be compiled for Lupu/luci/Puppy Lucid 5.2.1 (same thing guys)

Just download sqlite from the quirky repo, http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-quirky/
on 2.14x I had to update sqlite, hunspell and a couple of system links to libjpg and libreadline. after that it worked fine. 2.14X only comes with FF4 but I figured why not test it :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

playdayz

#966 Post by playdayz »

On a modern Core i3 processor, which has on-chip video, with both 256 and 257, Puppy Video Wizard probing suggested the Xorg High driver. In contrast, 521RC, on the exact same equipment, finds "GeForce 6800 LE" and recommends the nvidia driver. That driver does seem to work, but a last-minute driver change seems a little disturbing.
Bizarre. It was not anything intentional--things are very much inter-related and a change in one place can have unpredicted consequences. After you install the Nvidia driver can you open a terminal and type "glxgears"? Or go to System -> Hardinfo and see what it says for Display. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run the graphics driver upgrade from quickpet.
Type glxgears in console.
glxgears only runs when you have installed "glx" graphics--that is, Xorg_High, or the Nvidia or ATI Catalyst video upgrades. You can also confirm that glx graphics is working as above, Hardinfo -> Display and scroll all the way to the bottom

playdayz

#967 Post by playdayz »

Barry has created a 11MB Seamonkey
Sadly our 'SQLlite is too old' in Lupu rc to run

Just download sqlite from the quirky repo, http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-quirky/

I will put links to both in LupuNews. Thanks Lobster and ttuuxxx.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 3.1-q1.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... .13-q1.pet

This should not be interpreted to mean that the sqlite in Lucid is old and unsafe. Lucid 2.1b2 uses the current sqlite just fine. It's a function of how Barry compiled SM 2.0.13.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 28 Mar 2011, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#968 Post by gcmartin »

rjbrewer wrote:
gcmartin wrote: Barry included something that comes "out of the box" in WARY: 'glxgears'. ...
Run the graphics driver upgrade .... Wary did it the same way for almost every version.
I'm not trying to point a mistake in what is said, here, as I don't believe you are aware of Barry's WARY change (this change was also covered in the comment section of one of Barry's WARY blogs). Barry made an addition in current WARY; namely "wary-511-k2.6.32.28.iso". And, it MAY have been in an earlier version as well. GLXGEARS is running "out of teh box" in WARY without making any video changes or additions. .. Its just there for us to use.

On a 2nd note. one way of understanding how this change helps us is that when the Pristine system boots from LIveCD, it has already selected on our behalf a video setup for us. It would be nice if we could run glxgears before making any system changes and then run again after making those changes to access the impact , positive or negative, on video behavior. (I personally believe that this was the reason Barry did this for us in WARY.)

What you suggest means to make system change without knowing your video performance that you started with. I agree, though, that after making any video changes, glxgears accompany's that video change as you suggest.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 28 Mar 2011, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#969 Post by mavrothal »

playdayz wrote:
Problem with Lucid Puppy 5.2.1beta "256", did a full hard drive install everything went OK until a few days ago when I have to connect my ETH01, then on reboot I have to do the same never had this problem before.Is there a quick fix for this problem or is it a bug in this beta version.
I had a problem like this with wifi which I had never had before My problem at least is fixed for next version. It seems to have come from advancing the udev--so I reverted and it stopped.
Pitty :cry: specially since the problem was in 256 too (with the old udev).
Regarding your problem with 257, you probably just needed to delete the old "70-persistent-net.rules" (assuming was just an update) to go back to normal.
And sound worked just fine on the XO with 257 and udev 151...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

RandSec

#970 Post by RandSec »

playdayz wrote:
On a modern Core i3 processor, which has on-chip video, with both 256 and 257, Puppy Video Wizard probing suggested the Xorg High driver. In contrast, 521RC, on the exact same equipment, finds "GeForce 6800 LE" and recommends the nvidia driver. That driver does seem to work, but a last-minute driver change seems a little disturbing.
Bizarre. It was not anything intentional--things are very much inter-related and a change in one place can have unpredicted consequences. After you install the Nvidia driver can you open a terminal and type "glxgears"?
Here it is:

# glxgears
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
Or go to System -> Hardinfo and see what it says for Display. Thanks.
And here it is:

-Computer-
Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Memory : 3041MB (396MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 28 Mar 2011 12:40:10 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

Puppy Package Manager reports the installed driver:

Lucid511_nvidia-260.19.12-k2.6.33.2

rjbrewer

#971 Post by rjbrewer »

gcmartin wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:
gcmartin wrote: Barry included something that comes "out of the box" in WARY: 'glxgears'. ...
Run the graphics driver upgrade .... Wary did it the same way for almost every version.
I'm not trying to point a mistake in what is said, here, .
That's exactly what you're doing; knock it off!!

My 098 Wary needs highx to run glx gears,
the newer ones don't. Enough said.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

gcmartin

Sound and video

#972 Post by gcmartin »

I haven't gone thru this Lupu thread, but does this blog discussion impact Lupu?

Hope this helps

taichifu

#973 Post by taichifu »

Will wait for the final release and see if that will cure the problem.

playdayz

#974 Post by playdayz »

Regarding your problem with 257, you probably just needed to delete the old "70-persistent-net.rules" (assuming was just an update) to go back to normal.
Mavrothal, Thanks but no--I test fresh installs. Computers are just strange. I am glad you have it working in XO!

playdayz

#975 Post by playdayz »

I haven't gone thru this Lupu thread, but does this blog discussion impact Lupu?
I don't think so, or at least not directly. I experimented a bit and found no benefit. I think we are about as good on the sound as Lucid is going to get.

playdayz

#976 Post by playdayz »

# glxgears
Have you rebooted since installing the Nvidia driver? If it still doesn't work, then uninstall the Nvidia driver and install Xorg_High and try glxgears again.

gcmartin

#977 Post by gcmartin »

@rjbrewer I sorry you are taking it personal. Its NOT PERSONAL! I am not trying to offend you or anyone, ever, in posting.
rjbrewer wrote:That's exactly what you're doing; knock it off!!
I APOLOGIZE, but you're not looking at this as I intend. Sorry you view it like that.

Hope this clarifies things. I hope you understand.
"Peace be with you."

P.S. My view is that we are all here to try to help each other in a collaborative manner. You are welcome to PM me with any personal discsussion you feel is important if you like. I will read and I will respond if you like.

playdayz

#978 Post by playdayz »

Good news, therefore, that 251RC gave me the ghost in the forest!
Thanks for noticing ;-)

RandSec

#979 Post by RandSec »

playdayz wrote:
# glxgears
Have you rebooted since installing the Nvidia driver? If it still doesn't work, then uninstall the Nvidia driver and install Xorg_High and try glxgears again.
Yes, I saved the install update to DVD before going to bed. I then booted from that this morning.

I guess everybody knows about glxgears, but it was new to me! It did not run. Now it does.

So it looks like the 521RC Drivers test is giving the wrong advice for a Core i3:

When I go to Quickpet v4.3, Drivers, "Click here to test your graphics card" <button>,
I get a results window labeled "Graphics" which says:

"For your Intel video card, GeForce 6800 LE we think the best add-on driver is Lucid511_nvidia-260.19.12 driver. (...)"

That is wrong, and did not happen in 256 or 257.

chrismt

#980 Post by chrismt »

Installed Lupu 521 RC

Everything is fine except that rtl8187 driver in Puppy has no punch like when i am in windows :D

It is like, i can connect to a particular access point/ router but I cannot browse. Although it connects and i can browse also when i log into Windows using the same usb adapter.
Last edited by chrismt on Mon 28 Mar 2011, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.