The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#871 Post by Lobster »

running new Luci 257 from DVD

1. Installed ATI crystal driver
2. installed xfce and compiz manager from PPM
3. pressed ctrl + alt + backspace and entered xwin startxfce4

and it did and it wobbled (well it is meant to) 8)

I found the xfce a bit confusing as I do not use it much
for example log off is under settings and allows you to turn
your computer off

I had to reconnect my Ethernet but xfce and compiz worked

I am not sure if Transmission has been updated but
I am having more luck with it (downloading two torrents at a time and not
running down the personal storage file so far . . .

There is nothing under Puppy Fun in Puppy news (the existing control panel is incorporated)
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index5.html

Smokey (the dude is a fireman)
http://www.smokey01.com/devs/

Converting from Windows in 4 simple steps
http://rhinoweb.us/

Puppy stuff
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/

More fun links
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppySites
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 26 Mar 2011, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

RandSec

Puppy LiveDVD Comments

#872 Post by RandSec »

I have been using Puppy for a year and a half, recently working with 256 and now 257, and hope to not intrude in presenting my unusual issues. My interest is security, and I run Puppy from DVD+RW on multiple machines for most of my online work. My main machine and laptop work well with no hard drive at all. With Windows malware being what it is, the LiveDVD format should be ideal for online banking. New users might be helped if they were told that they almost CANNOT screw up a LiveDVD, which may reduce their technology anxiety. I do have a few issues:

1) How can I set networking to NOT automatically connect on startup?

2) How can I set Puppy, when loading from DVD, to NOT search for Puppy files on existing drives? Many people will want to access their Windows drives, but if malware puts a bogus Puppy file in there somewhere, it wins.

3) DVD reading and writing is slow, but Puppy demands that a USB flash drive stay in place once it boots. I want to remove the flash drive after booting so it cannot be written by attackware, and so the USB port can be re-used, just like the DVD drive. A boot DVD can be removed after booting so the DVD drive can be re-used. How can I set Puppy to use a flash drive like a DVD? That means it should: load fully into RAM (the latest file versions), allow removal and reinsertion, use only the desktop Save button for update, and allow multiple versions of the same file in different saved directories, just like on DVD updates. That file system allows mistakes to be negated and the previous state recovered.

4) How can I update Puppy Package Manager when running from DVD? The system advises the user to reboot after the download.

5) Just as a comment about our current situation, I have recently tried to replace Windows on our media system. The first problem is a lack of Netflix streaming. The next problem is a lack of surround sound. That may be a VLC or sound card (M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1) interface issue, but everything does work with KMPlayer under Windows.

Thanks for your consideration!

bigpup

#873 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
Pupcontrol
network tab
Samba and VPN
A default program not set in pupcontrol preferences so they do not show on network tab until set in preferences.
Bigpup, What programs should they be?
There is only one program available, that comes with Luci 257, for selection for each one.
Samba -pnethood
VPN -gpptp

They are what comes with Luci 257, so I thought it would be good to have them show up on the network tab so people would see those options are available.

playdayz

#874 Post by playdayz »

They are what comes with Luci 257, so I thought it would be good to have them show up on the network tab so people would see those options are available.
Yes. Will do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 45&t=64472
And don't let's forget Frisbee Beta 2 for those occasional wireless connection problems.

James C

#875 Post by James C »

Manually upgraded the frugal install on the old P4 test box from 256 to 257. Other than the expected icon problems, everything else appears to be working normally.

Going to upgrade a full install from 252 to 257 next.

James C

#876 Post by James C »

That didn't take long. :lol:

Upgrade of full install from 252 to 257 on the P4 test box. No icon problems. Icons,wallpaper and Pwidgets are just as they were in 252 on the initial boot. Didn't need to change anything.
All previously installed apps appear to be working so looks good. :)
Attachments
luci-257.png
(160.1 KiB) Downloaded 1206 times

mikeslr

Disturbing Desktop

#877 Post by mikeslr »

@ James C

Disturbing desktop. Took me a while to realize she carried a hand gun. A guy can get killed that way. But then, I'm not accustomed to such thinks, not being in Kentucky, nor often frequenting Newark or Camden.

mikesLr

bigpup

#878 Post by bigpup »

I got this error message when I tried to install Luci 257.
Attachments
Error Message.png
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 1215 times

playdayz

#879 Post by playdayz »

In Luci-254, Flashplayer 10.2.152 gave a lot of trouble all over the internet, so I heard. In Luci-257 we are using the older 10.1.102, but now there is a new version 10.2.153. Here it is;
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -lucid.pet

And Iron 10 with the supposedly 60% faster javascript engine ;-)
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

playdayz

#880 Post by playdayz »

Just as a comment about our current situation, I have recently tried to replace Windows on our media system. The first problem is a lack of Netflix streaming. The next problem is a lack of surround sound. That may be a VLC or sound card (M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1) interface issue, but everything does work with KMPlayer under Windows.
Yes, Netflix is a problem at our house too--so my wife reboots to Windows. However, XineDVD (in PPM) might be worth a try for movie surround sound. Xine was the very first good digital surround that I ever heard--with separate channels rather than "matrix" surround.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#881 Post by Lobster »

An OS with built in humour?
Priceless! :)

Related to browser problems
Seamonkey (I should imagine FF is similar)
recommend
-safe-mode
Poorly designed or incompatible extensions can cause problems with SeaMonkey, including make it crash, slow down page display, etc. If you encounter strange problems relating to parts of SeaMonkey no longer working, the browser not starting, windows with strange or distorted appearance, degraded performance, etc, you may be suffering from Extension or Theme trouble. Restart SeaMonkey in Safe Mode. On Windows, start using the "Safe Mode" shortcut created in your Start menu or by running seamonkey.exe -safe-mode. On Linux, start with ./seamonkey -safe-mode
To test that during normal use:

right click on browse
release on edit item
and under Arguments to pass (for executables)
put -safe-mode

I had to restart browser twice to get my addon to come on
Will see if it improves things before adding new flash pets from playdayz

As someone else using an AMD processor has reported problems
I have disabled an AMD specific component of the BIOS
Again have to use things a while to notice any differences . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

playdayz

#882 Post by playdayz »

LOL. and still laughing.
Based on the cam image I got with guvcview, I was happy it didn't work with Skype Smile
With all this humor, this version of Lucid must be about ready to go, eh?

mikeslr

External Iron creates internal cache --manually moved

#883 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

This is actually an edit to my post here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=855
placed where it is more likely to be noticed.

After starting Iron from its folder in /mnt/home --and commenting about how that would be a good way to avoid the cache buildup in the SaveFile-- it occurred that it might be a good idea if I knew where Iron stored its cache. Pfind on the word "iron" disclosed nothing on my system. But Pfind on "Chromium" disclosed that there was a cache folder and a media cache folder in /.cache/chromium/default. I don't have chromium on my system. As iron is a rebuild of chromium, I concluded iron created those folders intending to use them.
Creating a folder named "cache" in the /mnt/iron-linux folder, I moved the chromium folder (and its subfolders) into it and symlinked it back.
Iron continues to run without incident.
By the way, as with the exception of Dillo which came pre-installed, all my web-browsers are 'external' I installed midori to use a the system's default web-browser. Midori also installed folders to /.cache, albeit, none of them currently appear to be a cache folder.

mikesLr

playdayz

#884 Post by playdayz »

4) How can I update Puppy Package Manager when running from DVD? The system advises the user to reboot after the download.
If you Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM *first* before you open or start PPM, then you would not need to reboot.

bigpup

#885 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
Just as a comment about our current situation, I have recently tried to replace Windows on our media system. The first problem is a lack of Netflix streaming. The next problem is a lack of surround sound. That may be a VLC or sound card (M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1) interface issue, but everything does work with KMPlayer under Windows.
Yes, Netflix is a problem at our house too--so my wife reboots to Windows. However, XineDVD (in PPM) might be worth a try for movie surround sound. Xine was the very first good digital surround that I ever heard--with separate channels rather than "matrix" surround.
This may work for Netflix on Linux

Mirosoft Silverlight for Linux
http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight ... fault.aspx
http://go-mono.com/moonlight/

James C

#886 Post by James C »

Just installed the Moonlight plugin (14.8 mb for a browser plugin :lol: ) on my 5.20 install. Went to a Moonlight demo page, downloaded the required codecs and poor Firefox started constantly crashing trying to run any demos.
Good luck with it, I've already uninstalled it. May be my hardware so YMMV. :)

wuwei

#887 Post by wuwei »

RandSec wrote:
I have been using Puppy for a year and a half, recently working with 256 and now 257, and hope to not intrude in presenting my unusual issues. My interest is security, and I run Puppy from DVD+RW on multiple machines for most of my online work. My main machine and laptop work well with no hard drive at all. With Windows malware being what it is, the LiveDVD format should be ideal for online banking. New users might be helped if they were told that they almost CANNOT screw up a LiveDVD, which may reduce their technology anxiety. I do have a few issues:

1) How can I set networking to NOT automatically connect on startup?

2) How can I set Puppy, when loading from DVD, to NOT search for Puppy files on existing drives? Many people will want to access their Windows drives, but if malware puts a bogus Puppy file in there somewhere, it wins.

3) DVD reading and writing is slow, but Puppy demands that a USB flash drive stay in place once it boots. I want to remove the flash drive after booting so it cannot be written by attackware, and so the USB port can be re-used, just like the DVD drive. A boot DVD can be removed after booting so the DVD drive can be re-used. How can I set Puppy to use a flash drive like a DVD? That means it should: load fully into RAM (the latest file versions), allow removal and reinsertion, use only the desktop Save button for update, and allow multiple versions of the same file in different saved directories, just like on DVD updates. That file system allows mistakes to be negated and the previous state recovered.

5) Just as a comment about our current situation, I have recently tried to replace Windows on our media system. The first problem is a lack of Netflix streaming. The next problem is a lack of surround sound. That may be a VLC or sound card (M-AUDIO Revolution 5.1) interface issue, but everything does work with KMPlayer under Windows.
I am not really qualified to give in-detail answers here, but as a courtesy to a newcomer I felt it an obligation to do, what I can. If any of the regulars has better answers, I am eager to learn myself. So here it is...

1. Menu-Setup-Internet Connection. Use the Network Wizard and have it not saved! I do think, though, that you are overly cautious. Puppy is a minute OS in the world out there. It requires some very unique ways of dealing with it. How many "bad guys" would want to spend their time on such a small target? And the Puppyites? They are all the "good guys" :D

2. Not necessary. If the CD/DVD does find another pupsave file, it will display this fact and the user must then choose which one to load. No chance of malware at this point.

3. Under Menu-Setup there is a routine to install Puppy completely to USB. Haven't done it myself, but I guess this is where you should look., Again, your fear of attackware is exaggerated in this case.

4. Has been answered elsewhere in this thread.

5. Puppy is not Windows. Linux is not Windows. Especially in multimedia, many things that run under Windows do not in other OS. That's a result of the shere number of people working on Windows solutions and those working on Linux applications.

In your circumstances I would run Puppy from a USB stick entirely or from CD (not DVD-RW) plus stick. Always keep a pristine copy of my individualised pupsave file and not worry too much about malware. I haven't run into any in 4 years of Puppy usage, neither have the others here, I'd bet.

Most other questions may be answered by using this particular search engine
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Much success

Puppeteer

Latest Gnumeric is 1.10.14

#888 Post by Puppeteer »

I reckon it may be worth including the latest version of Gnumeric, currently at 1.10.14: http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/anno ... 0.14.shtml

There were almost twice as many bug-fixes and additions as in 1.10.13. Some of us (unfortunately) have to deal with xlsx-files and apparently 1.10.14 has greatly improved the importing of graphs from files in this format.

Just my 2c.

scsijon

luci257 upgrades+

#889 Post by scsijon »

Upgrades of luci to 257:-

from 254: ok, no major problems found

from 239: ok, no major problems found

And :roll: from an old luci puppy222, I hadn't realised was still there: ok, NO MAJOR PROBLEMS FOUND. The video even found and worked with a real driver, didn't have to rely on xvesa, magic!

However, a fresh frugal install....

1/ When I mount any drive from the icons at the bottom of the screen the LED INDICATOR on the floppy drive lights up and stays there (not shown on the floppy icon as mounted) until I reboot the computer, unmounting in all forms does nothing to the LED...BUT if I use rox to mount and unmount all is OK.

2/ I didn't realize that PCP was in the default petset of 257 and went and installed a pet I had (to try it out as I hadn't before). Changed the wm to jwm as I prefer it, all seemed ok. On reboot I had lost the jwm menus above help and had to run the fixmenus command to get it back. It worked ok afterwards.

regards
scsijon
---------------------------
If you want me to try anything else or something specific with the puppy updates listed above before I blow them away, please let me know soon, but be aware they don't have internet access, they are all on testboxes.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#890 Post by Lobster »

Guys different flash and the other measures to get flash streaming still
no good (on my machine) - 32 bit and other processors may well be fine :cry:

At some point the both CPU streams max out and the Puppy OS can not cope. So Firefox locks up and an x restart is in order.
10/15 minutes of flash streaming is good enough for general usage.

I would write to adobe but proprietary companies
have never been as professional as the 'amateurs' developing FOSS. :shock:

Fry to fish
Fish to fry
as we Lobsters say :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)