The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#826 Post by 01micko »

Lobster wrote:Can not find the original link but someone mentioned the clock bottom right being invisible. I thought this was transparency - so turned that off with the fbpanel wizard
Nope . . .
the clock is displaying as white on pale tint (with some themes of Openboxt) - not sure where the error is?
Yeah saw that one Lobster.. what to do? Make the clock font bright green? :?

playdayz

I noticed something with the Liberation fonts (and boy are they nice!). There is no fontscale and dir files indicating that the pinstall (if it exists) doesn't run in woof. I have the solution, and this will run in woof or if they are installed later.;

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#run mkfontscale and mkfontdir for Liberation fonts 
#NOT to be used for other fonts as they may be installed in a different location,
#this script will work in a woof environment or as a normal installation

if [ ! "`pwd`" = "/" ];then

echo "installing Liberation fonts..."
 mkfontscale ./usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation
 mkfontdir ./usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation
 echo "Liberation fonts installed"

else 
  mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation
  mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-liberation

fi
:wink:

Tip of the day

Switch your gtk theme and your browser to the Liberation Sans font.. you'll thank me :D (size may need to be increased from the default Dejavu Sans size). If you don't see the Liberation fonts as an option, copy the above pinstall.sh I posted for playdayz to a file, make it executable and run it.

As reported by chrismt the goole-chrome latest beta does not run as root. Not only that, but it breaks spot! ("spot", for those who don't know, is Puppy's unprivileged user). Please forget about the latest google-chrome beta, it is severely broken for Puppy.. (Tests were done in luci-256 and spup-099, same results.)

~

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

wuwei

#827 Post by wuwei »

In reference to this post...
rerwin wrote:

I would also like to dig into some of the issues people have encountered while upgrading pupsave files. I have no special knowledge about how that works, but am willing to see what I can improve. Any of you with issues about updating from 254 to either 255 or 256: please contact me by PM pointing me to your posting about it, or post a new message here. Thank you.
Richard

Hi rerwin

i tried a remaster of luci256 with your modem-modprobe_fix_pack_to_43x-20110321.pet . When i booted it, i experienced the same problems as when i upgraded from luci 254 to 255. I couldn't start x, what ever i chose. An unusual thing though, after booting, you get to the xorgwizard, and instead of being in 800x600 resolution, xorgwizard was in a very high resolution, approaching HD (i have a HD screen) . This also happened when i did the upgrade from 254 to 255 (i had forgotten about it doing this)

666philb
I wrote about an upgrade issue back on page 47. This was an upgrade of the pupsave file from luci254 to luci255. In retrospect this was not so much a general issue of the upgrade process as it was an oversight on my part. One needs to be extra careful to remove any old graphics driver before installing a new one. And secondly there seemed to have been a problem with 255 and playdayz changed promptly to 256.

From my point of view there isn't so much a particular problem with upgrading as there is a general uneasyness. Most of the time an upgrade goes smoothly, but every once in a while it doesn't. Unfortunately one only finds out during and after the boot process.
All in all, if there is a proper backup copy nothing much can be destroyed.

wuwei

#828 Post by wuwei »

playdayz wrote:
Can not find the original link but someone mentioned the clock bottom right being invisible. I thought this was transparency - so turned that off with the fbpanel wizard
Nope . . .
the clock is displaying as white on pale tint (with some themes of Openboxt) - not sure where the error is?
Had the same (or similar) issue. My .jwmrctray has this line

<Clock format="%a %d %b %H:%M">minixcal</Clock>
and it showed only "Th 24 M" in the lower right corner. When I changed the code to read

<Clock format="%a %d %b, %H:%M" width="60">minixcal</Clock>
the problem was fixed.

smokey01

#829 Post by smokey01 »

Switch your gtk theme and your browser to the Liberation Sans font.. you'll thank me Very Happy
How about a screeny

01micko

#830 Post by 01micko »

How about a screeny
Ok :)

Liberation is on the left.. this is a screeny of a screeny, done in just a few seconds. The shape of the font is more appealing IMO and just looks nicer.. and it's there.. nothing to download. (erm, I do not work for Liberation font! :lol: )
Attachments
lib-rox.png
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 1014 times
deja-rox.png
(14.29 KiB) Downloaded 1039 times
compare.png
(132.16 KiB) Downloaded 1018 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#831 Post by Lobster »

Make the clock font bright green?
Yelp! :shock:

Probably a strong grey or deep cream will work with most themes and be a compromise? :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#832 Post by playdayz »

Make the clock font bright green?

Yelp! Shocked

Probably a strong grey or deep cream will work with most themes and be a compromise? Smile
How come one would not use PupClockSet Manager to change the color of the clock font to whatever would work well with the background?

Menu -> Desktop Settings -> PupClockset Manager -> Fbp Font
Had the same (or similar) issue. My .jwmrctray has this line
Code:
<Clock format="%a %d %b %H:%M">minixcal</Clock>

and it showed only "Th 24 M" in the lower right corner. When I changed the code to read
Code:
<Clock format="%a %d %b, %H:%M" width="60">minixcal</Clock>
wuwei, I think it would be better to use PupClockset Manager, in case changing the code would confuse things.

playdayz

#833 Post by playdayz »

That was the full udev151-12 package.
I'll see if I can trim it down and still get sound going
Thanks mavrothal, I am posting luci-257 later today, with a cut down version of udev-151, cut down to match Barry's version file for file. I will also post the full version--that way we can see if the cut down version helps anyone, or if not, then if the full version does. Thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#834 Post by Lobster »

How come one would not use PupClockSet Manager to change the color of the clock font to whatever would work well with the background?
Ignorance :oops:

That works. Many thanks.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#835 Post by playdayz »

Luci-257 aka Better Safe than Sorry is now posted in the first message of this thread.

majorfoo

#836 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:Luci-257 aka Better Safe than Sorry is now posted in the first message of this thread.
playdayz, thanks for delta file to enable faster creation of new iso.
this especially good for all users on dialup
have d/l delta file, will create iso, boot live cd and report more later

Terryphi

#837 Post by Terryphi »

I prefer DejaVu Sans font. What do others think?

majorfoo

#838 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:Luci-257 aka Better Safe than Sorry is now posted in the first message of this thread.
booted live cd, added following
roxterm-1.17.1-lucid
seamonkey-2.1b1.lucid.pet
xorg_high-1.1-lucid
xscreensaver-5.12
xchat-2.8.8-i486.pet
wbar_with_setup-1.3.3-lucid-CD1
deadbeef-0.4.1
evince-2.30.3-i386
pwallpaper-1.1.1
geany-0.21
puppybrowser-1.1.lucid
abiword-2.9.0-lucid-52
shermans aquariium-3.0.1-i486

ibmthink pad, r40, 1gb mem, 20gb hd, vga ati radeon mobility Mgly,
winxp sda1, luci-256 sda2, (ext4) storage sda3

everything i have tried works. no problems detected.
next step is full install of luci-257 to hard drive replacing luci-256 on sda2

Puppeteer

Frugal 257

#839 Post by Puppeteer »

Running 257 Frugal, booted using GRUB4DOS

As usual the nv drivers give a garbled screen, so I CTRl+ALT+BKSP and set up VESA to get to the desktop. Then I did the following:

1) personalized settings...
2) set-up wired network and firewall using the built-in wizards
3) installed proprietary nvidia drivers 173.14.25_lupu500-k2.6.33.2 (they work fine as usual)
4) installed Firefox 4 RC1 and updated to FF4 Final within FF (shouldn't the final version be provided instead of RC1?)
5) Tested some programs, including GParted - no problems

6) Used ALSACONF, which correctly identified my chip (the dreaded CA0110-IBG).
7) Rebooted and created a 1 GB EXT3 savefile (within the appropriate directory in my NTFS sda5 partition)
8) Used ALSAMIXER which showed muted sound and HD-Audio-Generic under card and correct chip under chip. I unmuted the sound (though not possible for PCM - no box under the volume). I tried Mplayer, not really expecting it to work, and it hanged as per usual when attempting to play 2barks.au (or any other sound file).

9) Played a Youtube video, but FF hanged after trying to close the tab with the video, as usual. For this problem, I just kill the FF container process, which consistently unhangs the browser. The crash occurs consistently irrespective of whether I am using 10.1 r102 or 10.2. I am guessing that this happens due to either Flash buginess, or perhaps the non-working sound ALSA issue (since trying to do anything sound-related also freezes the program being used).

My specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB RAM, 20 GB NTFS partition, NVIDIA GeForce 6600, Auzentech Bravura (uses the Creative X-Fi CA0110-IBG chip)

My OS and set-up:
Win XP SP3 on sda1 NTFS. Extracted the files vmlinuz, initrd.gz, luci_257.sfs in own dir with save file on sda5 NTFS. Boot using GRUB4DOS grldr with the following commands in my menu.lst file:

title Luci257 (Boot HD/Dir)
find --set-root /[your Luci_dir]/initrd.gz
kernel /[your Luci_dir]/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd pdev=sda1 pkeys=[your code here] psubdir=[your Luci_dir]
initrd /[your Luci_dir]/initrd.gz
In summary, my experience with Lucid Puppy hasn't changed much as regards video or sound. I think that ALSA 1.0.24 may have added support for my sound card, so I will need to wait for the next major iteration of Lucid Puppy (with newest kernel) for sound I suppose.

Everything else works great, and the various tweaks and applets keep getting better and better. So great work! Too bad about many HW manufacturers (Creative etc) attitudes toward Linux though...

wuwei

#840 Post by wuwei »

playdayz wrote:
wuwei, I think it would be better to use PupClockset Manager, in case changing the code would confuse things.
I stand corrected, playdayz. Your advise is well taken.

Luci-257 upgraded pupsave file from 256, smooth and no problems.
Just the usual messed up desktop icons, but that is easy to fix with a copy of /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

James C

#841 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of 257 on the old P3 test box. Only installed Firefox 4 and Xorg_High but so far so good........ everything working on initial boot and no problems. :)

chrismt

#842 Post by chrismt »

I was very excited to test this version so i burned everything and while I was booting i got this error in the first initial screen

No Default or UI configuration Directive found

So, I couldn't even try it out :?

James C

#843 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of 257 on my main Linux box. Everything working and correct on initial boot....sound, internet and display.
Installed the Nvidia driver pet and Firefox 4....all good.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 257

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
5459 frames in 5.0 seconds
5420 frames in 5.0 seconds
5589 frames in 5.0 seconds
5322 frames in 5.0 seconds
5445 frames in 5.0 seconds
5464 frames in 5.0 seconds
5493 frames in 5.0 seconds

VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

Still have the little problem of sound being muted on boot.......however waiting a minute or two and the sound magically begins working on it;s own and is persistent until a reboot,then the cycle repeats.

Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

Looking good so far, more testing. :)

Tasgarth

Luci 257

#844 Post by Tasgarth »

Luci 257
1) Cd-Live (pfix=ram) > pupsave : no problems but only 128 MB (maxi size allowed). Why ?
No problems with sound and its tray-icon...

2) Update Luci 256 to 257 (old 253 > 254 >256) : no problems.(except icons)
Driver NVidia : OK
azerty, fr-FR : OK
SFS : vlc, Skype, seamonkey( web and mail) : OK
Pets : Gimp, Fotoxx ans UfRaw, Viewnior : OK
webcam (gubcview, skype) : OK

chrismt

#845 Post by chrismt »

chrismt wrote:I was very excited to test this version so i burned everything and while I was booting i got this error in the first initial screen

No Default or UI configuration Directive found

So, I couldn't even try it out :?
LOL

I burned another cd and it worked

I did a full install and everything is working