The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#676 Post by Lobster »

OK I wanted to set this up running real Puppy programs
on a cloud server but only got as far as this:
http://tmxxine.com/cloud/

Lucid Cloud - the basic linking was easy to set up
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 394#505394

:lol:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

chrismt

#677 Post by chrismt »

playdayz wrote:
@ Playdayz

Can you please update the Tor browser bundle? Embarassed
Hi chrismt, I just tried to update it to 1.1.5, but it will not connect to the network--maybe it is down or something, so I will wait a while.
Thanks in advance

rerwin

modem-modprobe pkg pinstall & pusbmodeswitch_protect fixed

#678 Post by rerwin »

01micko,
Just so everyone knows, I have re-uploaded the modem-modprobe package with those scripts corrected, after the eighth download of it. Anyone needing to apply the package to a "build" or "sandbox" environment should use this later version. If it still fails or is insufficient for what you are doing, please report that here and I will deal with it. Thanks for your patience.
Richard.

rerwin

Some ideas for the pupsave update process

#679 Post by rerwin »

Considerations for pupsave update regarding the modem-modprobe upgrade:

1. The file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf, which allows the user to blacklist sound-card modem snd-atiixp-modem, snd-intel8x0m, snd-via82xx-modem by uncommenting the appropriate lines, will now get deleted at bootup.
a. This blacklisting should not now be necessary since the user can erase that detection in pupdial and then probe for a USB modem that may not have been ready at bootup.
b. If this conf file needs to be retained, it should be renamed in Luci to anything not beginning with "blacklist" or "modem_"; recommend "snd-modem_blacklist.conf".
c. Since the users' modified file will not exist after an update, users need to be aware of that and will need to re-edit their change into /etc/modprobe.d/snd-modem_blacklist.conf (assuming the above example is used)

2. Some obsolete files and directories should be removed during an update to 255 or later, in case the user might have modified them:

Code: Select all

rm -f /etc/modprobe.conf #replaced by puppy.conf and alsa.conf:
rm -rf /etc/modprobe_includes 2>/dev/null #obsolete
rm -rf /etc/usb_modeswitch.d
rm -f /etc/usb_modeswitch.d-*
rm -f /etc/modemttyUSBnum
rm -f /usr/sbin/pusbmodeswitch_adapt

rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch-adapted.rules
rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/41-usb_modeswitch-puppy.rules
rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb_modeswitch-option.rules
rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb_modeswitch-usbserial.rules

#Force update of modem initialization scripts...
rm -f /etc/modules/firmware.inst.2.* #renamed to firmware.dep.inst.$KERNVER
rm -f /etc/modules/firmware.dep.inst.2.*

#Remove any installed obsolete initialization scripts...
rm -f /etc/init.d/Ipw
rm -f /etc/init.d/Motomodem
rm -f /etc/init.d/Option
rm -f /etc/init.d/Pl2303
rm -f /etc/init.d/Qcserial
rm -f /etc/init.d/Sierra
rm -f /etc/init.d/Ti_usb_3410_5052
rm -f /etc/init.d/alsa

#Remove current modem selection, to force re-detection...
rm -f /dev/modem
If you need me to put all this into a script for invocation by rc.update, just ask. Please also tell me if some of these deletions are unnecessary because they are already eliminated by rc.update.

These may not solve any of the reported problems, but would clean up any user mods of these obsolete files.
Richard

nooby

#680 Post by nooby »

I know nothing but my experience do support that we should warn people to never do such upgrading without first booting with pfix=ram and then making a copy of the pupsavefile they want to upgrade and maybe even rename the copy to something puppy don't recognize and then reboot without save and boot into the new version and try to upgrade for several days before accepting that the upgrade went smoothly.

Barry have written on his blog that he does not recommend such upgrading. The scripts are not good enough to handle some dependencies.

It is a hit and miss thing.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

wuwei

#681 Post by wuwei »

Thanks bigpup and Nooby for your answers and consideration.

It goes without saying that I always do a full system backup before upgrading. So nothing was lost.

The one thing I can try is to do a fresh upgrade for each and every nvidia driver. That I did not do earlier today. And it is very much possible, that the first driver (260) was wrong and the following installations (256, 195 etc) just messed up xorgwizard. Will try and report back this weekend.

Just for information: Quickpet recommended nvidia 260.19.12 which turned out to be definitely the wrong choice. So what is this recommendation based on?

playdayz

#682 Post by playdayz »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet
TOR-Browser Complete 1.1.5

Oh get this, if your cpu clock is not correct then TOR Browser stops halfway in its startup routine and doesn't tell you why. How long do you think it took me to learn that? The cure is to run Psync before TOR.

666philb

#683 Post by 666philb »

i had a similar problem to wuwei , x wouldn't start at all. But it did after a reboot. I ended up starting afresh anyway as i found that guvcview didn't work as i didn't uninstall the pet of it before upgrading. All is working fine though now..

I'm pleased to say though that i've had no sound problems so far (losing sound after reboot). This problem used to occur multiple times a day, especially if i booted into another puppy, then came back to lupu or luci. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that this rather large luci/lupu bug is finally fixed.

Thankyou rerwin and playdays
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

01micko

#684 Post by 01micko »

wuwei wrote:Just for information: Quickpet recommended nvidia 260.19.12 which turned out to be definitely the wrong choice. So what is this recommendation based on?
It is based on the vendorID/productID of the chipset.

This is found out by running:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn|grep VGA
and then with a bit of code manipulation the actual useful numbers are extracted.

This is compared to a database that is in Quickpet. The path is /usr/local/grphics-text where you will find 3 nvidia files and an ATI file. The database was taken from the official nVidia site, ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux ... chips.html

HTH, and if you find something wrong let me know.

I may have actually taken the database from the 256 version, it may be different, just check your card with the data on the official nvidia site, what driver does work for you?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#685 Post by playdayz »

I have made a bad mistake. I believe we have set a decent example of not adding new code right before release. And because of that Lucid had a decent record for stability. Unfortunately I blew it on the new material by rerwin. It is too much new code to put in right before release and I should have realized that. It makes broad system level changes and there is no way I should have tried to implement it. No matter how good the programmer, new code before release *will* cause problems. Everyone knows that, I just blew it.

So I apologize to rerwin and I apologize to our testers.

Luci-256 is available in the first message of this thread.

In testing, upgrades from the previous luci version are not the most important thing now--most testing should be done pfix=ram. And then at the end we will test upgrading Lucid 5.2.

James C

#686 Post by James C »

Not a problem....that's what testing is for.Downloading now. :)

I'll do a fresh frugal on this old P4 as soon as the download finishes.

James C

#687 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install on the old P4 test box. Display,sound and internet all working on initial boot.
Installed Xorg-High and SeaMonkey 2.0.11 so far.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 256

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
# glxgears
2528 frames in 5.0 seconds
3121 frames in 5.0 seconds
2733 frames in 5.0 seconds
2832 frames in 5.0 seconds
2829 frames in 5.0 seconds

Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Looking good here so far.

tubeguy

#688 Post by tubeguy »

James C is...

ROBOTESTER :wink:

I always seem to be a couple versions behind. :oops:
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

majorfoo

#689 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:

Luci-256 is available in the first message of this thread..

d/l luci-256, booted live, did full install and all is working well. no problems to report

playdayz - another good job on this one

James C

#690 Post by James C »

Still running 256, nothing bad yet. :)
Also installed Iron 8....... working fine, became default browser after install and shows you in the browser chooser.
Watched several videos in SeaMonkey...no crashes.

puppyluvr

#691 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
256....OK, I`m still on 253 so I guess I`ll skip 4 & 5 LOL....
I always seem to be a couple versions behind.

What he said..... :shock:
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#692 Post by Lobster »

I have made a bad mistake
:lol: more testing - sounds like a plan . . .

I was using Openbox (not JWM - which incidentally was working very well in Luci255 and 254)
with 255 and the sound was working
but somehow I had the icon turned to muted (red icon appeared)
- but it was not muted - could not rectify this. Will see if it happens in 256

Starting from a 'puppy pfix=ram' of Luci-256

Sound is persistent
but I still have to 'connect again' after the first reboot with the simple sns connection option for my Ethernet - it is then persistent

during first saving
my max puppy file size to save to is 1.2 (a larger option was available as a pet
- not yet available?)

I used FireFox 3.6.13 and immediately updated to 3.6.15
It advised me to update Adobe - so I did
Will see how this works out with my Youtube streaming crashes . . .
Was using the 4 beta Firefox previously - even though in many ways I probably prefer Seamonkey . . .

Working with pristine Puppy's I have to keep logging into the forum and other password protected sites so recommend this (if you are a non-paranoid only)
https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php

I used and installed Micks excellent LibreOffice experimental locales SFS creator
- how cool is that? (clue: very)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 027#505027

Larry apologisng always a good idea (OK I am English)
even when not required :)

Thanks guys. OK more tweaking . . . but first a cup of tea . . .

Puppy Linux
Your Humble Penguin
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

666philb

#693 Post by 666philb »

i spoke too soon about luci255, booted this morning and no sound ....... i'm starting to hate the alsa sound wizard :( . why can puppy always automatically find my card when booting pfix=ram, yet randomly fail to after creating a savefile?

my card is C-media CM8728(rev10)
there is also an audio output on my video card that i don't use and also an on board sound card that is disabled in the bios (it's broken) and there for doesn't show in alsa wizard.

actually, whilst writing this, i've just run the alsa wizard and it got this error

slave
aplay: main:608: audio open error: No such device

was working fine when turned off last night

.......on to 266
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#694 Post by bigpup »

rerwin

#695 Post by rerwin »

666philb,
Before you remove 255, could you run pmodemdiag and send me the pmodemdiag...tar.gz file it produces (in your home/root directory)? That way I can look at the situation with your multiple sound cards. That is the only way we can sort that out. Thanks.
Richard