The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#661 Post by 01micko »

That added picture is good, but you still need to put some statement with it.
Yes yes, but at this late stage we are not going to get all the localisations... unless someone want's to translate that string to German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, French, Russian, Swedish and Chinese.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#662 Post by Lobster »

at this late stage can we have the libre_office installer in Pupnews at least?
Worked for me :D
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 027#505027

Thanks Mick - thanks guys
more visual icon for Puppy default browser possible?
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rerwin

#663 Post by rerwin »

Some answers:
playdayz wrote:That pinstall.sh should have run rerwin.
I think I know what happened. That script sets the working directory to '/', in anticipation that users would be installing it. I did not remember how to set the directory for a build situation. So the script converted the files in the system you were running on -- which were probably already converted. Since that script can be run anywhere, I had to make the call to use '/'.

Next time you use it for the build. please edit its line 3 ("cd /"): to set the correct directory, then run it. What is the correct text to use for that? I can take another crack at making it easier to use. Making the directory a parameter that defaults to '/' would allow a user (who would know) to force the correct directory.
playdayz wrote:what browser did you install that did not set itself as default?
SeaMonkey 1.1.18.
01micko wrote:A picture tells a thousand words
Clever! I conclude that to then add another browser, one uses quickpet. Got it.
James C wrote:Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
Guessing that the connection problem on the P3 has to do with the older Intel controller
What is its hardware ID, from pupscan, if in doubt? Does it use module e100 or eepro100 (which is gone)?

01micko

#664 Post by 01micko »

Richard (rerwin)

Here is a sample pinstall.sh for seamonkey that Barry uses in woof, HTH

Cheers
Attachments
pinstall.sh.tar.gz
(174 Bytes) Downloaded 223 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Announcing Luci 254 - The Most Leading-Edge Lucid Ever

#665 Post by Billtoo »

Frugal install of 255 on Acer netbook.
Neither the ethernet or built wireless adapter were detected, I
plugged in a linksys usb wireless adaptor and it worked, (rt73 usb)

# lspci
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)
06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4357 (rev 01)
#
I downloaded the ATI_fglrx-10.10-Lucid.pet in quickpet.
# glxgears
8737 frames in 5.0 seconds
9053 frames in 5.0 seconds
8811 frames in 5.0 seconds
8935 frames in 5.0 seconds
#
Computer
ProcessorAMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Memory1813MB (415MB used)
Operating SystemPuppy Linux 0.25
User Nameroot (root)
Date/TimeThu 17 Mar 2011 09:27:34 PM EDT
DisplayResolution1024x600 pixels

OpenGL
Vendor ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
Version 3.3.10243 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

I installed Firefox from quickpet and it updated itself, I downloaded
the newest flash plugin and installed it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Sound volume was low so I ran alsamixer and adjusted the levels.

Guvcview gives an error so the webcam is not working.

bigpup

#666 Post by bigpup »

A problem with brightness using Lucid 5.2 on a laptop.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65900

James C

#667 Post by James C »

rerwin wrote:What is its hardware ID, from pupscan, if in doubt? Does it use module e100 or eepro100 (which is gone)?
Info from the P3 test box. Internet not auto-detected but once configured with SNS works fine and is persistent.

DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 1229 KERNEL MODULE: e100

Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 08 )

rerwin

pusbmodeswitch fixed

#668 Post by rerwin »

I could not read the pinstall file as text, but think I have fixed the problem anyway. I parameterized the working directory as a single argument and changed the pinstall script to pass `pwd` as the argument.

I have re-uploaded the package with that fix, not that that helps playdayz at this point. But it is there "for the record". And for playdayz to extract the pusbmodeswitch_protect file into the next Luci, and maybe use it to do the conversion.

chrismt

#669 Post by chrismt »

@ Playdayz

Can you please update the Tor browser bundle? :oops:

It would be nice if micko could make it available via QuickPet. just my opinion ofcourse :idea:

wuwei

#670 Post by wuwei »

Maybe it's just me and my machine, but 255 is a really bad upgrade from 254.

I have 254 in a frugal install with a pupsave file. So I manually placed the 3 files from the 255 iso into the subdirectory and used the previous pupsave file. Hit enter at the upgrade question and that's the end of it.
The start screen switches to a tiny font size and xwin will not start with the old nvidia driver. Xorgwizard will not work with nvidia or nv. So I changed to the vesa generic driver. At least now the desktop comes up, but, of course, with the dreaded right shift.
Next I tried ALL the nvidia drivers available through quickpet and NONE worked.
Further the drive icons are not mounted anymore, although fstab and rc.local still contain the mount commands I had put there in the 254 version. And finally the de localisation was also lost.

To make a long story short, the upgrades from 252 to 253 to 254 had none of these problems.

Maybe you did something in 255 that is fundamentally different from the previous upgrades. I seems unlikely that the problems I have described here are solely my mistakes, taken the successful earlier upgrades.

Just FYI, for what it is worth.

playdayz

#671 Post by playdayz »

@ Playdayz

Can you please update the Tor browser bundle? Embarassed
Hi chrismt, I just tried to update it to 1.1.5, but it will not connect to the network--maybe it is down or something, so I will wait a while.

Jades

#672 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:
If we decide to flag Lupu 5.2.n as not compatible with processors older than i686 and push Lupu 511 (or Wary) as the Puppy for those setups we can repurpose the K6 Pack as an app upgrade for 511
Yes, I had done some of that already with the mplayer from 520 which would work in 511. I think we could have an upgrade for 511 or a downgrade for 521 ;-)
Upgrade for 511 will probably be the easiest one to manage as we can be pretty sure that it is compatible with i586 CPUs. We probably don't have enough K6 users to track down any problems with 52n which I may have missed - some of them haven't been easy to track down. If the newer apps have dependencies that aren't in 511 those could be bundled as well, making sure they're not i686-only.

In general ttuuxxx's stuff's compiled with compatibility for i486 in mind and I think Zigbert's stuff generally is as well. If it says i486 on the package name it'll almost certainly work on the K6.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

cowboy

#673 Post by cowboy »

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Memory 506MB (73MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.25

lscpci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 82)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:09.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
01:0a.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems LT WinModem (rev 02)
01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
01:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation uPD72874 IEEE1394 OHCI 1.1 3-port PHY-Link Ctrlr (rev 01)

Booted up Live CD with 255 and no savefile. Got a desktop, accepted the default, and loaded several programs with no difficulty. Ran Xorgwizard, choose 1024x768x24, and also got desktop. Wizard choose intel_drv, I've had no problems after running Network Wizard and downloading Firefox 3.6.13 Lucid pet. Sound good and has survived several reboots. Internet connection after running Network Wizard for wireless lan, has returned with no problem on reboot with new 256MB savefile on usb pendrive. Report video below with current setup. No xorg-high installed yet.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 255

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
Driver used by Xorg:
intel
Video mode used by Xorg:

Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

bigpup

#674 Post by bigpup »

wuwei wrote:Maybe it's just me and my machine, but 255 is a really bad upgrade from 254.

I have 254 in a frugal install with a pupsave file. So I manually placed the 3 files from the 255 iso into the subdirectory and used the previous pupsave file. Hit enter at the upgrade question and that's the end of it.
The start screen switches to a tiny font size and xwin will not start with the old nvidia driver. Xorgwizard will not work with nvidia or nv. So I changed to the vesa generic driver. At least now the desktop comes up, but, of course, with the dreaded right shift.
Next I tried ALL the nvidia drivers available through quickpet and NONE worked.
Further the drive icons are not mounted anymore, although fstab and rc.local still contain the mount commands I had put there in the 254 version. And finally the de localisation was also lost.

To make a long story short, the upgrades from 252 to 253 to 254 had none of these problems.

Maybe you did something in 255 that is fundamentally different from the previous upgrades. I seems unlikely that the problems I have described here are solely my mistakes, taken the successful earlier upgrades.

Just FYI, for what it is worth.
I have had varies problems upgrading with a save file. Like yours they can be anything. I to had video problems with the last one I tried. The process of upgrading has no common consistent effect. Anything can and does happen.
You were lucky with the first three, but do you really know for sure there was not something wrong with them also.
The upgrade process for frugal installs is a shot in the dark and a hope that it works process.
I have stopped trying and only do fresh installs.
The upgrade process is in very bad need of good hard trouble shooting and bug fixing.
I, like you, very much wish it to work, but the facts are it does not.

One thing about changing video drivers.
If you download and install a driver and it does not work. You have to uninstall the driver before installing another one.
Why?
Xorgwizard will be confused if you select Nvidia driver and you have more than one Nvidia driver on your computer. It will not know which one to use.

majorfoo

#675 Post by majorfoo »

full install of luci-255 - everything that i normally use is working great.
sound works out of box

roxterm-1.17.1-lucid
seamonkey-2.0.11-lucid - just auto upgraded to 2.0.12
xorg_high-1.1-lucid
xscreensaver-5.12
xchat-gnome-2.8.8-lucid
wbar_with_setup-1.3.3-lucid-CD1
deadbeef-0.41
evince-2.30.3-i386
geany-0.20
cputemp-1.3
puppybrowser-1.1-lucid
abiword-2.90-lucid52
shermans_acuarium-3.01-i486

running on ibm thinkpad r40, 1gb mem, 20gb hd, vga ATI radeon mobility M6 LY, winxp pro on sda1, luci-255 sda2 (ext4), storage sda3

thanks playdayz for all your hard work on this

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#676 Post by Lobster »

OK I wanted to set this up running real Puppy programs
on a cloud server but only got as far as this:
http://tmxxine.com/cloud/

Lucid Cloud - the basic linking was easy to set up
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 394#505394

:lol:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

chrismt

#677 Post by chrismt »

playdayz wrote:
@ Playdayz

Can you please update the Tor browser bundle? Embarassed
Hi chrismt, I just tried to update it to 1.1.5, but it will not connect to the network--maybe it is down or something, so I will wait a while.
Thanks in advance

rerwin

modem-modprobe pkg pinstall & pusbmodeswitch_protect fixed

#678 Post by rerwin »

01micko,
Just so everyone knows, I have re-uploaded the modem-modprobe package with those scripts corrected, after the eighth download of it. Anyone needing to apply the package to a "build" or "sandbox" environment should use this later version. If it still fails or is insufficient for what you are doing, please report that here and I will deal with it. Thanks for your patience.
Richard.

rerwin

Some ideas for the pupsave update process

#679 Post by rerwin »

Considerations for pupsave update regarding the modem-modprobe upgrade:

1. The file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf, which allows the user to blacklist sound-card modem snd-atiixp-modem, snd-intel8x0m, snd-via82xx-modem by uncommenting the appropriate lines, will now get deleted at bootup.
a. This blacklisting should not now be necessary since the user can erase that detection in pupdial and then probe for a USB modem that may not have been ready at bootup.
b. If this conf file needs to be retained, it should be renamed in Luci to anything not beginning with "blacklist" or "modem_"; recommend "snd-modem_blacklist.conf".
c. Since the users' modified file will not exist after an update, users need to be aware of that and will need to re-edit their change into /etc/modprobe.d/snd-modem_blacklist.conf (assuming the above example is used)

2. Some obsolete files and directories should be removed during an update to 255 or later, in case the user might have modified them:

Code: Select all

rm -f /etc/modprobe.conf #replaced by puppy.conf and alsa.conf:
rm -rf /etc/modprobe_includes 2>/dev/null #obsolete
rm -rf /etc/usb_modeswitch.d
rm -f /etc/usb_modeswitch.d-*
rm -f /etc/modemttyUSBnum
rm -f /usr/sbin/pusbmodeswitch_adapt

rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch-adapted.rules
rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/41-usb_modeswitch-puppy.rules
rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb_modeswitch-option.rules
rm -f /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb_modeswitch-usbserial.rules

#Force update of modem initialization scripts...
rm -f /etc/modules/firmware.inst.2.* #renamed to firmware.dep.inst.$KERNVER
rm -f /etc/modules/firmware.dep.inst.2.*

#Remove any installed obsolete initialization scripts...
rm -f /etc/init.d/Ipw
rm -f /etc/init.d/Motomodem
rm -f /etc/init.d/Option
rm -f /etc/init.d/Pl2303
rm -f /etc/init.d/Qcserial
rm -f /etc/init.d/Sierra
rm -f /etc/init.d/Ti_usb_3410_5052
rm -f /etc/init.d/alsa

#Remove current modem selection, to force re-detection...
rm -f /dev/modem
If you need me to put all this into a script for invocation by rc.update, just ask. Please also tell me if some of these deletions are unnecessary because they are already eliminated by rc.update.

These may not solve any of the reported problems, but would clean up any user mods of these obsolete files.
Richard

nooby

#680 Post by nooby »

I know nothing but my experience do support that we should warn people to never do such upgrading without first booting with pfix=ram and then making a copy of the pupsavefile they want to upgrade and maybe even rename the copy to something puppy don't recognize and then reboot without save and boot into the new version and try to upgrade for several days before accepting that the upgrade went smoothly.

Barry have written on his blog that he does not recommend such upgrading. The scripts are not good enough to handle some dependencies.

It is a hit and miss thing.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though