The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ASRI éducation

#46 Post by ASRI éducation »

reckrhodes wrote:... Please include binaries or repositories of edubuntu(educational version of ubuntu). I find it hard to install their latest educational applications. :D
Excellente idée :wink:

playdayz

#47 Post by playdayz »

Luci-251 is the most leading-edge Lucid ever. It is posted int he first message of this thread.

We are well on the way to Lucid 5.2.1. Please test..

James C

#48 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of Luci-251 on the old P4 test box. Everything working on initial boot. Installed Xorg_High, SeaMonkey 2.1 b1,VLC and Pwidgets...everything working well. :)

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 251

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# glxgears
1375 frames in 5.0 seconds
1452 frames in 5.0 seconds
1508 frames in 5.0 seconds
2000 frames in 5.0 seconds
1941 frames in 5.0 seconds
2046 frames in 5.0 seconds

DM was on fire!

#49 Post by DM was on fire! »

I have a silly question that I hope no one will mind my asking: what is the system running on this time? JWM or OpenBox?

James C

#50 Post by James C »

DM was on fire! wrote:I have a silly question that I hope no one will mind my asking: what is the system running on this time? JWM or OpenBox?
Luci still defaults to starting with Openbox.......I just immediately switch to JWM as in the above screenshot.

DM was on fire!

#51 Post by DM was on fire! »

That's what I figured, but I wanted to know for sure. I am so madly in love with OpenBox I don't want to give it up.
Thank you James!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#52 Post by Lobster »

The main input device shorted out with who knows what cross linked and Puppy still works.
I am impressed!
I have run Puppy when all my Hard disks have failed and USB booting was not available, using multisession . . .
Brave Pup . . . wants to run . . . :)

In 250, will download latest if I can,

In jwm the OOolight SFS displays so far up the screen you can not access the maximise and other buttons from the mouse - this is not the case with openbox, where it is OK

Is it possible to have a chat button much like the browse button
which gives the option of a variety of software - xchat, pidgin, ayttm, web based?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#53 Post by playdayz »

It looks like Openssl 1.0.0 won't work. Sylpheed wants 0.9.8 but will accept a symlink, but gftp also wants it and will not accept a symlink. The best (and simplest) solution is to go back to 0.9.8 in luci-252. 0.9.8 is what Natty is using so it is state of the art, even if it doesn't have the nice 1.0.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
educational applications.
James C found the edubuntu desktop. etc., but I doubt we could run that. I had assumed there would be many applications that were included.

jpeps

#54 Post by jpeps »

playdayz wrote:It looks like Openssl 1.0.0 won't work. Sylpheed wants 0.9.8 but will accept a symlink, but gftp also wants it and will not accept a symlink. The best (and simplest) solution is to go back to 0.9.8 in luci-252. 0.9.8 is what Natty is using so it is state of the art, even if it doesn't have the nice 1.0.
I'm using openssl-1.0.0d-w-20110209 without problems; needed it for TOR, but sylpheed and gftp is working.

James C

#55 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
educational applications.
James C found the edubuntu desktop. etc., but I doubt we could run that. I had assumed there would be many applications that were included.
Long,long ago when Edubuntu was a separate release I seem to remember everything being available in individual packages....now that it's just an addon to Ubuntu it appears they just combined everything.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#56 Post by Lobster »

Upgraded from 250 to 251 - simples, went well
Choose the simple desktop icon arrangement that James C has depicted earlier in this thread - oh I like that . . . :)
Aer, Argo gold and other icon sets are a separate download? Their buttons appear [without icons] in the 'desktop icon switcher' selector but they are not included?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

nooby

#57 Post by nooby »

Did a fast frugal install on the NTFS where I have my other Puppies too and installed FF and tested to do streaming video on our local TV station.
Then looked at some pictures of Cats and Dogs trying to look cute and played an old cover of Rock'nRoll from 1960.

Looks okay from here.

I use nosmp with this one. should I test without it? I am on Acer D250 and Lupu usually don't boot consistently if I exclude the nosmp.

what does the nosmp take away? Is it better to do without it and only use if it is the only way to boot?

No criticism and not a request or demand either :) but what is it about Fluppy and Snow Puppy that allow them to use the RFKILL and Threaded something and a third thing that allow these puppies to reliably boot while Lupu need an added nosmp for to boot? Why can not Lupu have the RFKILL and threaded thing too? Just me trying to understand.
Last edited by nooby on Sat 26 Feb 2011, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#58 Post by Lobster »

Using the fontwizard.pet in 251
from Lucid news
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index2.html

turning all the options on
it seems to make my fonts flicker when viewed close up
does it offer improvements for LCD users or eyestrain?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

666philb

#59 Post by 666philb »

hi playdaze, in lupu 520 when copying files, the 'quiet' option did not work. Forcing you to click multiple times to overwrite stuff. Is it possible to fix this in luci251?

cheers 666philb
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

radky

#60 Post by radky »

Changing virtual desktops in JWM fails in Luci-251.

For JWM-500, the Desktops tag in jwmrc.personal has changed to a new width/height format, such as:

Code: Select all

<Desktops width="x" height="y"/>
However, jwmrc.personal in Luci-251 has the old Desktops tag, which JWM-500 does not recognize:

Code: Select all

<Desktops count="x"/>
Also, the corresponding configuration files in /usr/local/jwmconfig2/ should be updated, similar to 01micko’s modifications in Spup.

playdayz

#61 Post by playdayz »

What does the nosmp take away?
smp means "symmetric multi processor" or something like that. nosmp means only use one "core" so if you have a single core processor it doesn't take away anything at all.

playdayz

#62 Post by playdayz »

I'm using openssl-1.0.0d-w-20110209 without problems; needed it for TOR, but sylpheed and gftp is working.
You installed the pet, I am assuming. Have you tried to use the ssh2 mode in gftp? That's where it failed for me. Sometimes I have found that installing a pet does not give the same results as building it in from scratch, but this gives me an idea to try. Thanks.

Yes. When installing the pet, libcrypto 0.9.8 i still there, in addition to libcrypto 1.0.0, but libcrypto is too big to have both.

playdayz

#63 Post by playdayz »

hi playdaze, in lupu 520 when copying files, the 'quiet' option did not work. Forcing you to click multiple times to overwrite stuff. Is it possible to fix this in luci251?
Yes. It has been this way for a while at least. Does anyone know how to change it?

playdayz

#64 Post by playdayz »

Using the fontwizard.pet in 251
from Lucid news
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index2.html

turning all the options on
it seems to make my fonts flicker when viewed close up
does it offer improvements for LCD users or eyestrain?
Some people have reported that it does offer improvements. I have not tested.

runtt21

#65 Post by runtt21 »

playdayz wrote:
Yes. It has been this way for a while at least. Does anyone know how to change it?
This is really a safety feature just to make sure your overwriting what you want overwritten.