The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ttuuxxx

#31 Post by ttuuxxx »

Nice to see an update playdayz ,as the ubuntu updates go, wouldn't compiling them on puppy make the overall size be smaller? most the time whenever I compared the two :) puppy usually won.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

cowboy

#32 Post by cowboy »

Playdayz - I was further thinking about, and being embarrassed by, my first tendencies toward "panic" at the thought of Lucid being essentially declared "mature." And it's probably why you devs dislike users so.

I went down to the pasture, in my ten year old truck, and cut brush all afternoon with my fifteen year chainsaw. And I realized that for the past TEN years, I've been using Windows XP, and tolerated it, simply because Microsoft said I should be (and also because Msoft simply couldn't get their act together to release another semi-decent operating system until 7). But at no time in that ten years was I tremendously concerned that I was using a rapidly aging OS with a bullseye on its back.

And here you release Lucid 5.2 in December...December! and I'm giving you a hard time about it. I give Mister Softy 10 years, and you get 2 months. Geez. Oddly, that might be the hardest thing for us Linux newbies to get our minds around...that we can simply step off the update treadmill...and that's OK.

Looking forward to years of service from my trusty 5.2+
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

And here you release Lucid 5.2 in December...December! and I'm giving you a hard time about it. I give Mister Softy 10 years, and you get 2 months. Geez. Oddly, that might be the hardest thing for us Linux newbies to get our minds around...that we can simply step off the update treadmill...and that's OK.

Looking forward to years of service from my trusty 5.2+
LOL, Yeah, you're right. My truck is an '89--been well-maintained it wouldn't have any dents even except I let my daughter drive it ;-)

It is true that devs do like to develop but the good ones will listen to the users. Ubuntu has taken a step in the right direction imho with their LTS (Long term support) releases--good for 3 years. So Lucid 5.2+ will be around that long. Personally I like using it--I guess that is not surprising--so I will keep using it until I find something I like better. I am actually excited about this 5.2.1--we are able to update almost all of the Puppy programs and some of the Ubuntu programs, as well as some utilities like syslinix, etc. Updating those utilities will give some increased functionality and security. The trick is to update without screwing something up--so we will appreciate the testers! Thanks for your support.

playdayz

#34 Post by playdayz »

Nice to see an update playdayz, as the ubuntu updates go, wouldn't compiling them on Puppy make the overall size be smaller? most the time whenever I compared the two Smile puppy usually won.
Well, you know me ttuuxxx, I will use the Ubuntu binary first because it is designed to work with the rest of our Ubuntu binaries, but if it doesn't work, we go to step 2 and 3. You are right, the puppy compiles are usually smaller--but I actually found one, bash 4.1, where the Ubuntu file was smaller. This is a relatively minor update and most of the pieces are already in place, but you know I'll be screaming for you when we find a bug ;-)

Oh yeah, the syslinux 4.0.3 and the openssl 1.0.0 are both Puppy compiles, smaller and newer than the newest Ubuntu natty binaries.

bigpup

#35 Post by bigpup »

Pupcontrol as setup:
The first time you use Pupcontrol, there will be several options not listed in the different lists.
The reason is the selection of what program to use has not been done in the Pupcontrol preferences. There is more than one program that could be used for some settings. You have to go to Pupcontrol Preferences and select the program to use. The option will now show up in the appropriate list.
Some cannot be set because there is no program installed for that item.
Maybe change Pupcontrol to have an initial default program for these?
Attachments
pupcontrol preference2.jpg
preferences not set at first start Pupcontrol
(27.3 KiB) Downloaded 2352 times
pupcontrol preferences.jpg
preferences not selected at first start Pupcontrol
(30.62 KiB) Downloaded 2359 times

playdayz

#36 Post by playdayz »

Bigpup, The config page for Pupcontrol does have some apps listed for each one that is blank on the drop down menu. I agree it might be good to go ahead and choose a default for each one, and they could still be changed if someone wanted to.

I could do it myself, but let's see what radky thinks.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 25 Feb 2011, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

reckrhodes

#37 Post by reckrhodes »

Hello to everyone. Please include binaries or repositories of edubuntu(educational version of ubuntu). I find it hard to install their latest educational applications. I don't know how to download them locally in a folder for me to install to another computer with Puppy Lucid 520 installed. Our pupils would be very happy and of course their teachers. Thanks in advance. :D

playdayz

#38 Post by playdayz »

Hello to everyone. Please include binaries or repositories of edubuntu(educational version of ubuntu). I find it hard to install their latest educational applications. I don't know how to download them locally in a folder for me to install to another computer with Puppy Lucid 520 installed. Our pupils would be very happy and of course their teachers. Thanks in advance.
Great suggestion. Thanks. It won't happen immediately--are there particular titles you would like to see? If I have some titles I can start to find out where they are kept (what repository). We also have some people in this forum who are making packages. Once we get stu90 going on it, we are home free ;-)

James C

#39 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Hello to everyone. Please include binaries or repositories of edubuntu(educational version of ubuntu). I find it hard to install their latest educational applications. I don't know how to download them locally in a folder for me to install to another computer with Puppy Lucid 520 installed. Our pupils would be very happy and of course their teachers. Thanks in advance.
Great suggestion. Thanks. It won't happen immediately--are there particular titles you would like to see? If I have some titles I can start to find out where they are kept (what repository). We also have some people in this forum who are making packages. Once we get stu90 going on it, we are home free ;-)
Universe repository.......
Attachments
edubuntu packages.png
(67.87 KiB) Downloaded 2210 times

James C

#40 Post by James C »

Almost forgot, Luci-250 appears to be working fine........ once I got the sound working.... :lol: No real problems.

radky

#41 Post by radky »

playdayz wrote:Bigpup, The config page for Pupcontrol does have some apps listed for each one that is blank on the drop down menu. I agree it might be good to go ahead and choose a default for each one, and they could still be changed if someone wanted to.

I could do it myself, but let's see what radky thinks.
Hi playdayz,

No problem. You can set the defaults to match the base applications in Lucid as you see appropriate. Make sure there are no dead buttons. :)

bigpup

#42 Post by bigpup »

I did an upgrade of a full install of Lucid 5.2 that had been highly modified and added to.
Update seemed to work very well.
Did have the no sound issue, but delete /etc/init.d/10alsa fixed it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#43 Post by Lobster »

Is 5.2.1 good enough for everyday use?

Well I have intermittent broadband, and a key board
that I spilled water on, so I have to use numbers from the keypad
at the moment.

I am limping along . . .
5.2.1 is doing its part.

The only fault I can find is trying to edit the wiki in Firefox 3.6.6
the page jumps one line up and down - but this might be the PHP code.

Other than that Geany, viewnor and other Puppy components working
much as in 5.2
VLC, Transmission and other quickpet downloads are OK
Before I forget Barry has some new games under fun in
Wary - at least one of them with sound
- maybe someone can remember the name?
That might be a simple addition/replacement
for a non sound game in Lucid?

I have been trying to work out how to burn a non puppy ISO
to USB and UNetbootin is recommended but no working pet
for Lucid exists. It works on Ubuntu I take it?

Great to have the control panel built in now . . .
Upgrade, use, report any anomalies. :)

Thanks to playdayz and our loyal Lucid team 8)

Puppy Linux
Woof Woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

bigpup

#44 Post by bigpup »

Lobster wrote:Well I have intermittent broadband, and a key board
that I spilled water on, so I have to use numbers from the keypad
at the moment.
The main input device shorted out with who knows what cross linked and Puppy still works.
I am impressed!

Iguleder

#45 Post by Iguleder »

playdayz wrote:Whatever Barry chooses to replace Lucid will need to begin at the beginning of its development cycle
That's right.

I think the right candidate for the next Puppy series (5.3) is spup. I don't have much time to spend on Puppy development, both due to my life style and my work on Calf Linux, my experimental independent distro.

I'm exploring the "back to the basics" approach - I'm learning how to use T2 because I truly believe it's the best way to go for 6.0. If T2 proves to be reliable with Calf, I'll try to build a tpup from its packages probably, but that's just my secondary goal - my primary intention is to implement all my creative ideas for 6.0 and do a hands-on experiment with my vision of 6.0 8)

(And yes, my main goals are KISS, modularity, one-X-per-Y and simplicity) :wink:

And indeed, 5.2 is a great release that future puppies will have to compete with :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

ASRI éducation

#46 Post by ASRI éducation »

reckrhodes wrote:... Please include binaries or repositories of edubuntu(educational version of ubuntu). I find it hard to install their latest educational applications. :D
Excellente idée :wink:

playdayz

#47 Post by playdayz »

Luci-251 is the most leading-edge Lucid ever. It is posted int he first message of this thread.

We are well on the way to Lucid 5.2.1. Please test..

James C

#48 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of Luci-251 on the old P4 test box. Everything working on initial boot. Installed Xorg_High, SeaMonkey 2.1 b1,VLC and Pwidgets...everything working well. :)

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 251

Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# glxgears
1375 frames in 5.0 seconds
1452 frames in 5.0 seconds
1508 frames in 5.0 seconds
2000 frames in 5.0 seconds
1941 frames in 5.0 seconds
2046 frames in 5.0 seconds

DM was on fire!

#49 Post by DM was on fire! »

I have a silly question that I hope no one will mind my asking: what is the system running on this time? JWM or OpenBox?

James C

#50 Post by James C »

DM was on fire! wrote:I have a silly question that I hope no one will mind my asking: what is the system running on this time? JWM or OpenBox?
Luci still defaults to starting with Openbox.......I just immediately switch to JWM as in the above screenshot.