The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jades

#1771 Post by Jades »

Brown Mouse wrote:I have found that I'm unable to mount a 4.7gb DVD-R containing photos in Puppy 5.25 and 5.20.
Does that machine also run Windows and if it does can it read the disc in it? Reason I ask is that my K6 2 machine has a Hitachi GD-5000 DVD-ROM, and it came out before the 4.7GB DVD-R standard was released and therefore can't read them.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Brown Mouse

#1772 Post by Brown Mouse »

Jades wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:I have found that I'm unable to mount a 4.7gb DVD-R containing photos in Puppy 5.25 and 5.20.
Does that machine also run Windows and if it does can it read the disc in it? Reason I ask is that my K6 2 machine has a Hitachi GD-5000 DVD-ROM, and it came out before the 4.7GB DVD-R standard was released and therefore can't read them.
Jades

Yes, that's the odd thing.Even without the disc being closed off as Minnesota suggested,the disc can be read in Win7 and also my Win xp setup on the same computer..

playdayz

#1773 Post by playdayz »

I just noticed that Puppy is #8 in Distrowatch,and a healthy #8, well ahead of #9. After the release of 5.2.5 I quit checking DW so this is a very pleasant surprise--I had just assumed we went back down to 9. This means Puppy has climbed from 10 to 8 in the last year. Everyone who has participated in Lucid has had a hand in that. And not only Lucid but Wary and Quirky as well. Congratulations to us all.

Oh, and I saw something else too. Congratulations to prit and runtt21.

majorfoo

#1774 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:This is the final release of Seamonkey 2.1, compiled in lucid 5.2.5 for i686 cpu's and with the highest level of optimization (-O3).

Seamonkey 2.1 [/b]-> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Seamo ... 1-i686.pet

Thanks for the new seamonkey 2.1.
I removed seamonkey 2.011 from my hd install and installed the new 2.1 version. Works great and very fast.

majorfoo

DM was on fire!

#1775 Post by DM was on fire! »

Hi guys. I don't feel up to going through this many pages of stuff lol

Am I the only one who has an issue typing on OpenBox unless my caps lock is on?
I mean, I'm very likely to install Xfce on here assuming it will will work, but it's still a little unnerving. The sole reason I picked OpenBox as my WM is I don't like JWM. I find it ugly. lol

ETA - Had the issue after about twenty minutes on Xfce 4.4. :\

Aitch

#1776 Post by Aitch »

When the disc is inserted,the desktop drive icon is present and identified as 'sr0' but when I click on it cant mount it.
The disc is multisession and was burnt using Nero in Win7.Could this be the reason??
Are there any other ways to go about mounting it?
Any help or ideas appreciated thank you.
It might be a firmware issue....may need updating?

AFAIK, unclosed discs can only be read in the same hardware that it was written in, but I don't think it's OS sensitive, I think its hardware related......but someone else may know different?

Aitch :)

stu90

#1777 Post by stu90 »

News-0.5.0 - scrolling rss news ticker

Doesn't seem to work in JWM but does in openbox.

screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/D1ChV.jpg
Attachments
news-0.5.0-0.pet
(87.63 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

ETP

News-0.5.0 - scrolling rss news ticker

#1778 Post by ETP »

stu90,

Great find and easily as good as the BBC ticker if not better. Happy to report that it works with IceWM and Chromium-10.0.630.0. I configured the browser as “defaultbrowser
Attachments
image-1.png
(178.97 KiB) Downloaded 1194 times

DM was on fire!

#1779 Post by DM was on fire! »

Disregard my post. It randomly started working.
I have no idea why though?
Aitch wrote:
When the disc is inserted,the desktop drive icon is present and identified as 'sr0' but when I click on it cant mount it.
The disc is multisession and was burnt using Nero in Win7.Could this be the reason??

AFAIK, unclosed discs can only be read in the same hardware that it was written in, but I don't think it's OS sensitive, I think its hardware related......but someone else may know different?

Could be an issue with the disk. Not sure.
Have you tried to mount it via Pmount?

bigpup

#1780 Post by bigpup »

Nero could be the cause of this.
If it is not a full retail version of Nero.
If it is a version of Nero, you got with your computer or by buying a CD/DVD burner, they will not give you a full version of Nero. It will be purposely limited on what it can do and what it will work on.
You would think they would make it burn media so it will work on anything, but I am not so sure.
I got a copy of Nero with a DVD burner drive.
Tried to use it on another computer with a different DVD burner drive.
Nero would not work at all.
Somehow it was linked to the DVD burner drive it was bundled with.

bigpup

#1781 Post by bigpup »

Stu90 with help from L18L,
Have come up with a GUI for setting up the console.
Has settings for everything.
Can make it transparent too.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68624
Attachments
console.jpg
(39.55 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times

Brown Mouse

#1782 Post by Brown Mouse »

Aitch wrote:

Hi Aitch

I'm quite sure it's not a hardware issue now.

bigpup

It's a full version of Nero
I just mounted the same disc in PCLinuxOS Gnome without a problem and without closing the disc so I'm presuming it's a Puppy issue.

DM was on fire!

Yes ,I tried pmount many times without success.

playdayz

#1783 Post by playdayz »

Two new in PPM

TOR-Browser-1.1.9 for anonymous browsing
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

rxvtset-0.4 to adjust colors, fonts, etc., in the rxvt console. This lucid525 version has yad included.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid525.pet

Yikes, I just got rxvtset and now there is a urxvtset! Working.

playdayz

#1784 Post by playdayz »

I have found that I'm unable to mount a 4.7gb DVD-R containing photos in Puppy 5.25 and 5.20.
I am not sure and this is a long shot, but on my newest machine I could not boot a standard Puppy Live-CD. Everything worked fine otherwise but I just couldn't boot the Puppy CD. That was perplexing, but on a whim I rearranged the cables to my disks and bingo, it worked. By rearrange the cable, they were SATA hard disks and a PATA DVD-Rom--I can't remember exactly, but I plugged the disks into different connectors--there ar elike 6 SATA connectors on the motherboard. Oh shoot, maybe I changed the jumper on the back of the DVD drive. Sorry, it was a while back. But these are the basics.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1785 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Two new in PPM

rxvtset-0.4 to adjust colors, fonts, etc., in the rxvt console. This lucid525 version has yad included.

Urxvtset is being tweaked like mad by stu90 and L18L.
May want to hold off and let the dust settle before adding to PPM.

The latest version 0.4 of Urxvtset
Changes settings for the console on the desktop.
Attachments
urxvtset V0.4.jpg
(36.76 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
Last edited by bigpup on Thu 16 Jun 2011, 19:02, edited 2 times in total.

stu90

#1786 Post by stu90 »

playdayz wrote:Two new in PPM

TOR-Browser-1.1.9 for anonymous browsing
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

Hi playdayz the .pet for urxvtset-0.4 was broken and wouldn't install so i have just reuploaded it - sorry for any inconvenience. :oops:

As Bigpup says maybe best to hold off putting into the repo for a while as L18L commented on possibly adding additional language support.

cheers.

DM was on fire!

#1787 Post by DM was on fire! »

playdayz wrote:
I have found that I'm unable to mount a 4.7gb DVD-R containing photos in Puppy 5.25 and 5.20.
I am not sure and this is a long shot, but on my newest machine I could not boot a standard Puppy Live-CD. Everything worked fine otherwise but I just couldn't boot the Puppy CD. That was perplexing, but on a whim I rearranged the cables to my disks and bingo, it worked. By rearrange the cable, they were SATA hard disks and a PATA DVD-Rom--I can't remember exactly, but I plugged the disks into different connectors--there ar elike 6 SATA connectors on the motherboard. Oh shoot, maybe I changed the jumper on the back of the DVD drive. Sorry, it was a while back. But these are the basics.
Possibly; but the user said he had no problems with it on Windows and PCLOS Gnome.
It sounds like an issue with Puppy and a lack of support for multi-sessions CDs.

Brown Mouse, have you tried on a previous version of Puppy to see if the issue is specific to this version?

Brown Mouse

#1788 Post by Brown Mouse »

DM was on fire! wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Possibly; but the user said he had no problems with it on Windows and PCLOS Gnome.
It sounds like an issue with Puppy and a lack of support for multi-sessions CDs.

Brown Mouse, have you tried on a previous version of Puppy to see if the issue is specific to this version?
Hi DM was on fire!

Thanks and well spotted

I should have said that yes I tried it on other Puppy versions but just to make double sure tested again in 431,Lighthouse 5.03,Lucid 511,520,525,Macpup 520,525 and the latest spup.None will mount the dvd.

playdayz

#1789 Post by playdayz »

Hi playdayz the .pet for urxvtset-0.4 was broken and wouldn't install so i have just reuploaded it
Hi stu90, You mean the pet for urxvsett-0.1? The pet for rxvtset-0.4 seems to work fine. Please let me know when urxvtset is ready. Thanks.

bigpup

#1790 Post by bigpup »

Brown Mouse,

I figured out your will not read DVD problem!
Happened to me today.
The shinny side of the DVD goes down, when inserted in drive. :shock:

Wish it was that easy!!

One idea. There is an option in Pmount to use Mut for detection of drives.
May help?
Attachments
pmount preferences.jpg
(59.52 KiB) Downloaded 1211 times