The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jcwinnie

Re: First Time

#1696 Post by jcwinnie »

Nope, I was wrong. It was the latter and not the former.

That is to say, I used PUI (Puppy Universal Installer) to install Puppy on an ext4 formatted USB Flash Disk. Yes, the one with the red rubber cover.

wuwei

#1697 Post by wuwei »

nancy reagan wrote:
Well if you click this (webmail) address

https://email.ziggo.nl

you will get an error msg.

Q: Any idea what I could should change in Opera for this matter ?
Well, when you look at this picture from that email web site, you will notice that it
werkt niet goed met Internet Explorer 9 en Google Chrome
. No mention of Opera, either positive or negative.
So you might want to consider an email client for fetching your mail?
Attachments
ziggo.jpg
(38.24 KiB) Downloaded 964 times

wuwei

#1698 Post by wuwei »

@jcwinnie

Have you checked the Multiple Soundcard Wizard for your problem?
See Playdayz's post on page 113 of this thread. 5th post from the top.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Streaming dutch tv radio

#1699 Post by Béèm »

nancy reagan wrote:@playdayz

Q: What is pristine ?
Wat is maagdelijk? Google translate is your friend.
So something which is untouched yet. :wink:
nancy reagan wrote:As I would like to have "my daily browser" for both streaming and webmail I submit my next question, maybe not the right place, but as I don't post much and clutter on, take the opportunity for my next question.

Well if you click this (webmail) address

https://email.ziggo.nl

you will get an error msg.

Q: Any idea what I could should change in Opera for this matter ?
If you have error messages, always report them in the post.

EDIT

Just saw that wuwei has addressed the issue.
So change from opera to a recommended browser or convince the web administrator to accept other browsers.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

DaveS

#1700 Post by DaveS »

You know.. the fact that the full screen toggle (F11) does not work with Firefox 4, JWM, MAKES ME CRAZY! :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wuwei

#1701 Post by wuwei »

Confirming DaveS's comment.

F11 in Firefox makes it Fullscreen and then there is NO WAY OUT!

I had to reinstall a backup version of the profile folder.
So...

DON'T DO F11 IN FIREFOX!

DaveS

#1702 Post by DaveS »

wuwei wrote:Confirming DaveS's comment.

So...

DON'T DO F11 IN FIREFOX!
I think this might be a JWM issue. Will do more testing.

Confirm its OK in OpenBox, so its a JWM bug. Sh*t... now I gotta learn OpenBox! What can I use as a configurable launcher?
Last edited by DaveS on Mon 23 May 2011, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Volhout

Opera

#1703 Post by Volhout »

@Nancy Reagan:

in Dutch (sorry guys):
Ziggo heeft er een bende van. De e-mail web client is slecht getest, en gedurende afgelopen maand is de fout melding al een paar keer aangepast (welke browsers wel en niet ondersteund worden). Als je Opera 11 wilt gebruiken, klik dan op "menu" en "mail" en stel je mail account in. Opera heeft een ingebouwde mail client. Makkelijker dan web mail.
in: pop.ziggo.nl.
out: smtp.ziggo.nl

I told Nancy how to use Opera with Ziggo mail. Did it in dutch becuase it is a very local problem. Honestly, I am very happy with Opera 11. It simply works. Use it on Puppeee 44RC2 and Lupu 520. Haven't upgraded to 525 yet, since 520 runs stable...

Volhout

DaveS

#1704 Post by DaveS »

wuwei wrote:Confirming DaveS's comment.

So...

DON'T DO F11 IN FIREFOX!
A way out is to go into Add Ons Manager using ctrl+shift+A, and disable one of the add-ons. Select re-start, and after the re-start F11 will toggle off Full Screen, but Firefox will be maximised to cover the whole desktop, so just re-size it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jcwinnie

#1705 Post by jcwinnie »

wuwei wrote
Thanks for the reference. I had read that and thought it did not apply to me since I have no separate sound card, only what is part of the chip.

Tried to install it after your pointer. Downloaded, opened, and okayed installation of pet. Don't see a Multiple Soundcard Wizard anywhere in the menus, even after a reboot.

Also played with alsamixer to no avail. I usually listen to Internet radio via Pandora daily, so no sound is a major disincentive to use Puppy.

On the bright side, Coordinator Playdayz's browser suggestion, i.e., Iron seems to stay after a reboot.

stu90

#1706 Post by stu90 »

DaveS wrote:

Confirm its OK in OpenBox, so its a JWM bug. Sh*t... now I gotta learn OpenBox! What can I use as a configurable launcher?
.v3 PAP - puppy application panels :?: :)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 803#498803

bigpup

#1707 Post by bigpup »

jcwinnie wrote:wuwei wrote
Thanks for the reference. I had read that and thought it did not apply to me since I have no separate sound card, only what is part of the chip.

Tried to install it after your pointer. Downloaded, opened, and okayed installation of pet. Don't see a Multiple Soundcard Wizard anywhere in the menus, even after a reboot.

Also played with alsamixer to no avail. I usually listen to Internet radio via Pandora daily, so no sound is a major disincentive to use Puppy.

On the bright side, Coordinator Playdayz's browser suggestion, i.e., Iron seems to stay after a reboot.
Have you tried the tips about sound at Lucid Puppy News help page?
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html

DaveS

#1708 Post by DaveS »

Hmmm... fbpanel seems to be a bit of a mess. Every time I change something in the configuration, it re-sets display of CPU monitor, which I dont want, and moving to top of screen (my preferred option on a laptop with widescreen) leaves top window bar obscured when a window is maximised despite selecting option to reserve space.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jcwinnie

#1709 Post by jcwinnie »

BigPup wrote
Have you tried the tips about sound at Lucid Puppy News help page?
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html
Well, no. I did follow Playdayz advice and clicked on News from Quickpet. Nothing happened.

Thanks for the reference. I had seen it before and tend to hesitate going to apparently independent links when initially troubleshooting. It can lessen the trouble.

I took your advice and went there. I downloaded, opened and okayed installation of .001. Did not seem to make any difference.

I read the other advice if no sound. I went back to alsamixer. This time I raised the volume on various items and not just front speaker. To no avail. Hover over the speaker in the tray and the volume is still at 65295%

And, since it is another dreary day in a spate of dreary days in Upstate New York, I will quibble. Iron is working fine. However, Google says I should update Chrome to most recent version for security.

I downloaded, opened and okayed installation of google-chrome-stable. It appears in /opt/google/chrome. Unfortunately, it cannot be run from root.

On a positive note, I always enjoyed my visits to Charleston, SC even when they were somewhat edgy. OTOH, this would have been about 33 years ago.

Volhout

clean desk

#1710 Post by Volhout »

Deeper Thought wallpaper, iPad2 icons
Attachments
screen.jpg
(33.37 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

DaveS

#1711 Post by DaveS »

DaveS wrote:Hmmm... fbpanel seems to be a bit of a mess. Every time I change something in the configuration, it re-sets display of CPU monitor, which I dont want, and moving to top of screen (my preferred option on a laptop with widescreen) leaves top window bar obscured when a window is maximised despite selecting option to reserve space.....
OK, can work around fbpanel by using margin setting in Openbox.... liking it much more now :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#1712 Post by DaveS »

Can somebody point me to where I can set keybindings when using Openbox please. I am on it with JWM, but Openbox is a steep learning curve....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#1713 Post by Jim1911 »

Thanks to pemasu we now have the latest Gparted-0.8.1 and it works fine in Lucid 5.25. :D

sneekylinux

525 blocking router

#1714 Post by sneekylinux »

just a quick one, when using pup 525 from a save file or just for the cd, all runs well and does what i want it to do, when i reboot into the main system(which is xubuntu on this machine) i can no longer access the network or the internet via bthome hub, the only way to rectify this is to reset the router to default settings, which means i have to reset all the settings in the router, any idea's what is causing this..??

jcwinnie

#1715 Post by jcwinnie »

Continuing my Internetz search for why I have no sound.(Puppy 5,25 with.001 upgrade on a AMD / Asrock combo, 2.6.33-2 kernel). Why me? (sniff) Why? Why? Why?

Someone recommended turning on S/PDIF. Cannot find out how. I did notice that after using alsamixer to change volume levels and rebooting, those changes were lost. Master Volume and PCM are at max volume. Volume levels are down on other choices. S/PDIF shows MM, whereas S/PDIF D is on.

Now for the curiouser...

In fiddling with alsa (alsactl) I was unable to save something to /usr/share/alsa/init/00main. Investigate... There is no init directory that I see.

Ah-hah! A KLU! I connect the USB Flash Disk with Xubuntu 11.04 (audio works) to the box and navigate to /usr/share/alsa with the idea of copying the existing directory to the USB Flash Disk that has Puppy 5.25.

Except it is not there. It is there when it is the working system. When Puppy is the working system, it isn't there. A mystery to the mostly clueless. :roll:

Postscript
Hover over speaker in tray and volume is at 65295%