The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#1516 Post by rcrsn51 »

RandSec wrote:But OK, now how do you know that malware has not given you a malware save file? Presumably this flash is booting on a Windows machine with a hard drive, so how do you know?
By adding "pfix=ram" to my syslinux.cfg file. That's something else that you can test.

Or I could simply check the contents of the flash drive from Windows before booting it. But now we are into tin-foil hat territory.

sszindian

Some more knowledge

#1517 Post by sszindian »

Just as a thought about virus, maleware, trojan horses etc... the article at this website is a bit old however... its topic is:

How to write a virus for Linux in 5 easy steps...

Certainly interesting reading!!!!

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229

>>>---Indian------>

nooby

#1518 Post by nooby »

rcrsn51 wrote:
RandSec wrote:But OK, now how do you know that malware has not given you a malware save file? Presumably this flash is booting on a Windows machine with a hard drive, so how do you know?
By adding "pfix=ram" to my syslinux.cfg file. That's something else that you can test.

Or I could simply check the contents of the flash drive from Windows before booting it. But now we are into tin-foil hat territory.
Rcrsn51 could I ask this:
What about us who are on frugal install on HDD and have grub4dos instead of USB syslinux booting?

And if one make the pupsave.3fs into a zl525332.sfs file instead does that help?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

radky

#1519 Post by radky »

Attachments
PS-1.png
(31.32 KiB) Downloaded 1745 times

playdayz

#1520 Post by playdayz »

PupSnap 1.6 to Lupu PPM

Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM

-----------------------------------------------------------

In a few days or a week, I will look through this thread since the release of Lucid 5.2.5 and see if there are enough fixes or enhancements to make an Instant Update. The ffconvert front-end seems like a good thing to include.

RandSec

#1521 Post by RandSec »

rcrsn51 wrote:

Thank you for your insight; I certainly was unaware of those possibilities. But I think we have gotten off the path here: This is not about how I can force Puppy to work securely, but is instead about making Puppy "just work" securely, by default, for ordinary users. Currently, the default Puppy LiveDVD form mostly does things right, with a few remaining security issues, but many computers do not have DVD-writer drives.

Sadly, the default Puppy USB flash-boot form has a variety of security issues, mostly associated with having an easily-writable boot store. (Similar issues exist with external hard drives.) Fortunately, USB drives can be given decent security by being unplugged at an appropriate time as a physical write-protect. While even that simple property may require some Puppy redesign, the existing LiveDVD form already provides an excellent model to follow. (With current equipment I expect it would be IMPOSSIBLE to provide a secure internal hard-drive boot, no matter how much redesign or add-on security is provided.)

It may be possible to cover some flash-boot issues with careful user-interaction, but the suggested software processes probably would not be practical for me, let alone ordinary users. Browser and add-on updates, in particular, would be far more complex than the simple Save button currently used by the LiveDVD. "It just works securely" should be an appropriate user expectation, even with USB flash drives.

bigpup

#1522 Post by bigpup »

I just got done looking at an Apple I PAD2 at Best Buy.
I left it with the web browser loaded to the Puppy Linux org web site info page for Lucid Puppy 5.25.
Take that Apple! :D

bigpup

#1523 Post by bigpup »

playdayz,

There are two programs in Lucid Puppy 5.25 that do not work.
Bootflash
Xorg Video Wizard Monitor Gamma Calibration

Info is posted here in the Lucid Puppy 5.25 Bug topic.
A fix has been found for both programs.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 867#514867

sszindian

A New Puppy!

#1524 Post by sszindian »

playdayz:

I see you're looking at the new 2.6.38 kernel and a possible new puppy idea that would reach beyond the present 525?

My thoughts: Ubuntu's new release (as I'm sure you know) will have some 'cloud features' in it... As I've been saying right along (with only a few interested) 'This Will Be The Future Of Computing' like it or not! So, why not look down that road for the next puppy?

Puppy... if it can be kept small like it is, and still be available with the standard packages for those without Internet access then... add the cloud features and their packages (there are tons of em coming on) for those with Internet access... I think you would have a win, win, program. I myself am running Joli OS 1.2 (jolicloud) as my main OS and it is very, very nice. My 170+ HD is only using about 5GB and that is mostly because I have a ton of 'Local Apps & Graphics' on it (Joli OS lets you do BOTH, cloud plus Local Apps.) a small older computer with a puppy OS should do super with a Puppy-Cloud system. Dropbox offers 2GB of free cloud-storage space and they have another that offers 25GB free cloud-storage which should take care of most needs a Puppy user will encounter. The system is updated whenever it needs it with nothing to do on my part, cloud programs are updated the same way, you just USE your computer to do what you want without worrying about anything... cloud takes care of it all. I have used nothing but Puppy for over a year 'until' I tried the Joli OS... to be very honest, it would take a super little Cloud Puppy to make me change back to a full-timer Puppy'er again!

Now... on the 2.6.38 kernel, I downloaded it from China (the 2.6.38.3-2 version) based on the 525 puppy build... I can say, everything works that I tried except one thing (that I found anyway) and that is... I lost my webcam after finally getting it working with your Official 525. I'm sure that would not be a big problem to fix but anyway, that kernel does work fine with puppy. Although some disagree... I do find it a bit SLOWER when accessing local apps, but no difference when on the Internet. All in all I believe it is a good solid kernel and should take puppy down the road a bit further... some serious testing on a new package will determine that.

Whatever avenue you take I wish you luck (same as I did 01micko and his upcoming Slackware venture) but... if Puppy continues the same way it has in the past... 'I really believe it's barking up the wrong tree!'

>>>---Indian------>

bigpup

#1525 Post by bigpup »

playdayz,

A program for the Lupu PPM.

Menu Entry Maker 1.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64969

Has option to make a menu entry and remove a menu entry.
Attachments
menumaker.jpg
(45.94 KiB) Downloaded 1409 times

playdayz

#1526 Post by playdayz »

Good. Thanks for the bug reports Bigpup. That helps a lot. It looks like a go then for an Instant Update.

Did I mention that vlc-1.1.7 is in PPM? It is. But I forgot and I have been working on trying to get 1.1.9 to work--but there is something wonky about going back and forth to full screen. vlc-1.1.7 seems to work OK though.

sszindian. No. I will not be coordinating the testing of any more releases of Lucid Puppy. But I see that someone could make a cool derivative by getting Lucid to run with a more advanced kernel. EZ-Woof is an easy way to swap kernels I think, but I have not had luck with my sound working with 2.6.38.2.

sszindian

Sound

#1527 Post by sszindian »

playdayz wrote:
but I have not had luck with my sound working with 2.6.38.2.

I could not get sound on the 38-2 either so I downloaded the 2.6.3.3-2 version and was able to get sound... had to go into the setup and click the little boxes on BOTH the volumns that alsa had set up to get it though...

>>>---Indian------>

scsijon

#1528 Post by scsijon »

wuxiandianzi is creating a 525 based with 2.6.38.3 if anyone is interested in it or helping him, he's done quite a lot of fixes already and may be of use. His thread is http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66528

regards
scsijon

bigpup

#1529 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

From problems with Broadcom wireless controlers:
tempestuous wrote:the opensource b43 wifi driver is somewhat unreliable, especially with wifi devices found in Dell/HP laptops.
For these you need the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver. See here -
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 596#421596

pemasu

#1530 Post by pemasu »

Thank you Playdayz of your EZ woof platform for Lucid 525. My first experience with it, with kernel 2.6.38.2-lupe15.

It works. /etc/init.d/alsa needs to be removed and run wuxiandianzi sound device script. You need to run it before testing alsamixer. If you run the script and then if you run /etc/init.d/alsa you get black freezed screen. At least I got, lol. If you dont run the script, alsamixer just dont work. So removing the alsa script with running the attached script made alsamixer functional and sound also responded to the adjustments.

I renamed it to more memorable name. I installed it to the same place and then I run it. Sound and alsamixer works. Alsaconf does not find soundcards, but alsamixer finds them alright.
I dont know if the script needs to run every bootup because I run in first boot.

But the wuxiandianzi script is attached. Remove the .gz. It is plain script, .gz is just because of the attached file requirements in this forum.

Powerapplet_tray does not work with that kernel. I replaced it with Vattery. Gatotray show cpu temp alright. Ibam inside Vattery package and Gatotray were compiled in puppy with same kernel.

It is useful to install from ppm lm-sensors, libsensors4 and makedev also, then you can install xsensors from ppm also to get another cpu temp application. All those are included to attached sensors pet.

Well...I just noticed that there was discussion about kernel switching. I just wanted to give my 2 cents. And those instructions and pets will probably be useful with wuxiandianzi kernels also.
Attachments
sensors-0.0.1.pet
(104.17 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
gatotray-2.0.pet
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Vattery-0.0.2.pet
(101.6 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
alsamixer_fix.gz
(519 Bytes) Downloaded 260 times
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 25 Apr 2011, 22:03, edited 5 times in total.

gcmartin

Thanks

#1531 Post by gcmartin »

Many may not have noticed, but @TazOC has released an updated video system information reporter called Report-Video-GLX. Many will appreciate the expanded information that this shows about your graphics subsystem.

@BigPUP. Thanks for this Menu Entry Maker 1.1This can really be a help to people like me who want to add items to the menu as a sub menu and as a sub-sub menu tasks.

@scsijon Thanks for your announcement as well. That PUP kernel author and ICE PUP PEMASU are kernel collaborators. They, together, are responsible for current, far reaching, 32bit kernel changes that are destined to benefit all 32bit PUPs designed for hardware built over the last 10 years up to today's PCs. ICE PUP is of particular interest as it takes advantage of ALL PC up to 64GB while current PUPs cannot begin to achieve this advantage.

@pemasu. Thanks for your ICE pup. You have taken PUP525 so that it exploits all RAM a PC has to offer. And, its initial reports show that its enormously speedy even on low (1GB) RAM PCs.

@Playdayz.Thanks for your representation and procedure on EZ Woof. Also, I understand your decision, And, again I want to thank you for all you've contributed.

All of these items extend the life, functionality, and usefulness of 32bit PCs running Puppy.

smokey01

#1532 Post by smokey01 »

Trio & Bigpup,

I like the MenuMaker but I thought it was a little confusing and discovered typos could stop it working so I made some minor adjustments.

You still need to type in the name and description but this won't break it if you make a typo.

Selecting the icon and the executable is now done by dragging and dropping the files into the appropriate field (white space). This prevents typing mistakes and simplifies the process.

I was going to add a help file but it doesn't really need it.

Regards

Smokey01.
Attachments
mm.jpeg
MenuMaker-1.1.2 Screenshot
(37.75 KiB) Downloaded 1632 times
MenuMaker-1.1.2.pet
Create and delete menus.
(2.01 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

bigpup

#1533 Post by bigpup »

Smokey 01,

Thanks for the changes to menumaker. Your improvements are great!

bigpup

#1534 Post by bigpup »

Another one for the Lucid PPM.

Not sure if all the bugs are out of it.
Development seems to have stopped.

Pmenu
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57805

sandungas

#1535 Post by sandungas »

Im not sure where to report this "bug", and i suspect that is not specific for this pupplet (probably it comes from woof), but maybe somebody can help to redirect this info

The mistake is in one of the syslinux "help" menues (HELP.MSG), it contains this line:

Code: Select all

Examples: 
puppy acpi=off pfix=fr  Ignore ACPI, French keyboard layout.
(it must say: pkeys=fr)

And i suggest you to add some more boot options in syslinux.cfg for people that likes to run in ram, or for maintenance purposes (fsck, purge, etc...)