The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
chrismt

#16 Post by chrismt »

I was just wondering if anyone noticed how stupid some menu icons are and how poor quality it is

It is not about this distro but all puppies

No offense to anyone OK, just saying what was in my mind

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

But are not most such things incredibly subjective. Something that looks great to me can look extremely crazy to somebody else?

I trust that all of them do their best to have icons that look okay to them. Why else would they chose them :)

thanks that was a very friendly reply. I am lucky that I am not the one deciding what icon to use. I would make every one mad at me for choosing the wrong looking one. :)
Last edited by nooby on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

chrismt

#18 Post by chrismt »

nooby wrote:But are not most such things incredibly subjective. Something that looks great to me can look extremely crazy to somebody else?

I trust that all of them do their best to have icons that look okay to them. Why else would they chose them :)
Maybe I guess :wink:

chrismt

#19 Post by chrismt »

@playdaz

I was also wondering if things like i686_ffmpeg, i686_libc, e2fsprogs, openssl, syslinux-4, bash 4.1 will be updated?

cowboy

Re: Luci 250 - The First Release Toward Lucid 5.2.1

#20 Post by cowboy »

playdayz wrote:Luci-250 will become Lucid 5.2.1, hopefully by March 5, the 2-month anniversary of the release of Lucid 5.2 and the 10-month anniversary of the original Lucid 5.0. It should be the last release of Lucid Puppy.
Complete noob here, and unworthy to comment on anything, really. But statements like "should be the last release" panic me. Does this simply mean that the next puppy will be based on spup, or T2 or something else. And will those new puppies read in my lupsave file? Will those of us using 5.2 whatever have to simply continue on with unofficial updates in the future? Is 5.2 the new 4.3? I know, I know, I'm an unwashed doofus. And believe me, as a windows refugee, I'm eternally thankful for whatever the Lords of Puppy dish out. "Thank you sir! May I have another!"

Jim1911

#21 Post by Jim1911 »

Luci-250, frugal installation on an ext4 partition works great with one exception.

When trying to install GNU Compiler luci_devx_250.sfs using Quickpet, it reports that there are already too many sfs loaded (only 4 were loaded). Another try reports a broken link. Subsequent tries resulted in one or the other message. I would suspect a broken link is the cause of the problem.

Still testing.

Using radky's nice little PupControl for Setup is a nice touch. Works great.

Cheers, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jim

playdayz

#22 Post by playdayz »

i686_ffmpeg, i686_libc, e2fsprogs, openssl, syslinux-4, bash 4.1 will be updated?
Good point. I was thinking about that this morning. Definitely no on the i686-ffmpeg and the i686-libc. The 386 versions of those are not being updated. The i686 versions are addons to conserve space in the iso.

The others are possible--probable that we will at the least test them in the next development release of luci-251. I have been running them in my own Lucid 5.2 for a month or so.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 17:56, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#23 Post by playdayz »

When trying to install GNU Compiler luci_devx_250.sfs using Quickpet, it reports that there are already too many sfs loaded (only 4 were loaded). Another try reports a broken link. Subsequent tries resulted in one or the other message. I would suspect a broken link is the cause of the problem.
Oh, duh. I didn't upload a devx for luci 250. Sorry. I would say that constitutes a broken link ;-)

Bug fixes so far
(not released yet)
alsa fix for sound not persistent
jwm menu icons for geany, sylpheed, gnome-mplayer
icewm background

playdayz

#24 Post by playdayz »

Complete noob here, and unworthy to comment on anything, really. But statements like "should be the last release" panic me.
I didn't mean to cause panic! Lucid 5.2 is based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS--the LTS means Long Term Support (just over 2 more years). So Lucid could be around for that much longer, for those who want to use it. However, IMHO, Lucid is at the end of its development cycle--being based on kernel 2.6.33.2 which is starting to show its age. Whatever Barry chooses to replace Lucid will need to begin at the beginning of its development cycle--and I do not have the time to devote to it. Let me tell you the first half of that cycle is a *whole lot of work* and I have some other important stuff I need to do for a while. It's time for some new blood and new ideas and a new kernel ;-) But there is no sense of urgency--Lucid 5.2.1 will be at the top of its game for at least 4-6 more months. I mentioned it to start some people thinking ;-)

I would be very happy if Lucid 5.2 and 5.2.1 are compared to Puppy 4.3.1, that is, a mature and refined Linux distro that people find useful and enjoyable to use.

Theory: The way Woof works a new kernel will basically involve a new development cycle. Actually, that is because of the way most linux distros work, with a new release every 6 months or so (exactly 6 months in the case of Ubuntu). Woof uses a particular release, such as Lucid Lynx 10.04, so in order to upgrade someone will need to start with a newer release. I have always been intrigued by the Arch linux method of a "rolling release", where the distro is constantly updated. In fact, Lucid 5.2.1 will be a bit of a rolling release--with elements of both maverick and natty as well as some newly compiled packages. But that is one reason I say that it is now stretched about as far as it can be stretched without breaking.
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 17:56, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#25 Post by playdayz »

Sylpheed, Geany and Gnome MPlayer.
Ah-ha, 3 that were updated. Do I see a pattern? Wink Thanks.
check the desktop-files to see if they have the file-suffix in the Icon-Line.
Thanks aragon. That was it--when I updated the new desktop file overwrote the one that had been fixed for puppy. It is good to know that you are following the forum.

cowboy

#26 Post by cowboy »

Playdayz,

thank you for the response. "Panic" was no doubt too strong a word - and thank you for the explanation about the Puppy releases vis-a-vis their related Ubuntu corollaries, like "Lucid". And I'm with you on 4.3, it's rock solid and a great place to build from. It's just a little harder sometimes to get up to speed from there, as programs must be updated "by hand", though that is a great learning experience.

5.2+ is such an accomplishment, and many of the developments it introduced will be around for a long time. It's the first linux distro I've really been comfortable moving to from Windows, for both work and play. Thank you for your efforts, Playdayz, for all of us out here who are re-learning what fun "computing" really is.

playdayz

#27 Post by playdayz »

And will those new puppies read in my lupsave file?
Developers of the next Puppy/Puppies will have to consider that imho. If it is a 5 Series Puppy, which I think it would be if it was based on the latest Woof, then I think it probably should use (and update) the lupusave file. Perhaps that could be tested from the beginning.

James C

Re: Luci 250 - The First Release Toward Lucid 5.2.1

#28 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: Note: It looks like we might have the same problem with alsa that we had in Lucid 5.2. If sound is not persistent, right-click the volume/speaker icon in the tray and choose full window and then make sure Front is turned up. You can also delete /etc/init.d/10alsa, which fixed it last time (courtesy of 01micko).
Just wanted to confirm that deleting etc/init.d/10alsa took care of the sound problem here.Everything else looking good. :)

James C

#29 Post by James C »

nooby wrote:James you ahve to teach me do the GLX thing looks impressive to be able to give such figures. I use Acer D250 Netbook and they are very small and have a single core Atom CPU so I don't expect they render graphics that fast.

How does one do the glx gear thing?
"Glxgears" depends on having the correct video driver.I go to Quickpet, Drivers then "test your graphics card". Install the recommended driver (this old computer uses Xorg_High) and after installation open a terminal and enter"glxgears" without the quotes.

# glxgears
1199 frames in 5.0 seconds
1270 frames in 5.0 seconds
1915 frames in 5.0 seconds
2070 frames in 5.0 seconds
2105 frames in 5.0 seconds
1969 frames in 5.0 seconds
1942 frames in 5.0 seconds

This old computer is slow....some of the newer graphics will show numbers like 40000 frames in 5.0 seconds.

playdayz

#30 Post by playdayz »

upgrades
Attachments
fun.png
(8.54 KiB) Downloaded 2512 times

ttuuxxx

#31 Post by ttuuxxx »

Nice to see an update playdayz ,as the ubuntu updates go, wouldn't compiling them on puppy make the overall size be smaller? most the time whenever I compared the two :) puppy usually won.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

cowboy

#32 Post by cowboy »

Playdayz - I was further thinking about, and being embarrassed by, my first tendencies toward "panic" at the thought of Lucid being essentially declared "mature." And it's probably why you devs dislike users so.

I went down to the pasture, in my ten year old truck, and cut brush all afternoon with my fifteen year chainsaw. And I realized that for the past TEN years, I've been using Windows XP, and tolerated it, simply because Microsoft said I should be (and also because Msoft simply couldn't get their act together to release another semi-decent operating system until 7). But at no time in that ten years was I tremendously concerned that I was using a rapidly aging OS with a bullseye on its back.

And here you release Lucid 5.2 in December...December! and I'm giving you a hard time about it. I give Mister Softy 10 years, and you get 2 months. Geez. Oddly, that might be the hardest thing for us Linux newbies to get our minds around...that we can simply step off the update treadmill...and that's OK.

Looking forward to years of service from my trusty 5.2+
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

And here you release Lucid 5.2 in December...December! and I'm giving you a hard time about it. I give Mister Softy 10 years, and you get 2 months. Geez. Oddly, that might be the hardest thing for us Linux newbies to get our minds around...that we can simply step off the update treadmill...and that's OK.

Looking forward to years of service from my trusty 5.2+
LOL, Yeah, you're right. My truck is an '89--been well-maintained it wouldn't have any dents even except I let my daughter drive it ;-)

It is true that devs do like to develop but the good ones will listen to the users. Ubuntu has taken a step in the right direction imho with their LTS (Long term support) releases--good for 3 years. So Lucid 5.2+ will be around that long. Personally I like using it--I guess that is not surprising--so I will keep using it until I find something I like better. I am actually excited about this 5.2.1--we are able to update almost all of the Puppy programs and some of the Ubuntu programs, as well as some utilities like syslinix, etc. Updating those utilities will give some increased functionality and security. The trick is to update without screwing something up--so we will appreciate the testers! Thanks for your support.

playdayz

#34 Post by playdayz »

Nice to see an update playdayz, as the ubuntu updates go, wouldn't compiling them on Puppy make the overall size be smaller? most the time whenever I compared the two Smile puppy usually won.
Well, you know me ttuuxxx, I will use the Ubuntu binary first because it is designed to work with the rest of our Ubuntu binaries, but if it doesn't work, we go to step 2 and 3. You are right, the puppy compiles are usually smaller--but I actually found one, bash 4.1, where the Ubuntu file was smaller. This is a relatively minor update and most of the pieces are already in place, but you know I'll be screaming for you when we find a bug ;-)

Oh yeah, the syslinux 4.0.3 and the openssl 1.0.0 are both Puppy compiles, smaller and newer than the newest Ubuntu natty binaries.

bigpup

#35 Post by bigpup »

Pupcontrol as setup:
The first time you use Pupcontrol, there will be several options not listed in the different lists.
The reason is the selection of what program to use has not been done in the Pupcontrol preferences. There is more than one program that could be used for some settings. You have to go to Pupcontrol Preferences and select the program to use. The option will now show up in the appropriate list.
Some cannot be set because there is no program installed for that item.
Maybe change Pupcontrol to have an initial default program for these?
Attachments
pupcontrol preference2.jpg
preferences not set at first start Pupcontrol
(27.3 KiB) Downloaded 2352 times
pupcontrol preferences.jpg
preferences not selected at first start Pupcontrol
(30.62 KiB) Downloaded 2359 times