Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 16:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 129 [1925 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
chrismt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:26    Post subject:  

I was just wondering if anyone noticed how stupid some menu icons are and how poor quality it is

It is not about this distro but all puppies

No offense to anyone OK, just saying what was in my mind
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:29    Post subject:  

But are not most such things incredibly subjective. Something that looks great to me can look extremely crazy to somebody else?

I trust that all of them do their best to have icons that look okay to them. Why else would they chose them Smile

thanks that was a very friendly reply. I am lucky that I am not the one deciding what icon to use. I would make every one mad at me for choosing the wrong looking one. Smile

Last edited by nooby on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:57; edited 1 time in total
chrismt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:31    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
But are not most such things incredibly subjective. Something that looks great to me can look extremely crazy to somebody else?

I trust that all of them do their best to have icons that look okay to them. Why else would they chose them Smile

Maybe I guess Wink
chrismt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:31    Post subject:  

@playdaz

I was also wondering if things like i686_ffmpeg, i686_libc, e2fsprogs, openssl, syslinux-4, bash 4.1 will be updated?
cowboy

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 11:12    Post subject: Re: Luci 250 - The First Release Toward Lucid 5.2.1
Subject description: Many Updates, plus a few additions and enhancements

playdayz wrote:
Luci-250 will become Lucid 5.2.1, hopefully by March 5, the 2-month anniversary of the release of Lucid 5.2 and the 10-month anniversary of the original Lucid 5.0. It should be the last release of Lucid Puppy.

Complete noob here, and unworthy to comment on anything, really. But statements like "should be the last release" panic me. Does this simply mean that the next puppy will be based on spup, or T2 or something else. And will those new puppies read in my lupsave file? Will those of us using 5.2 whatever have to simply continue on with unofficial updates in the future? Is 5.2 the new 4.3? I know, I know, I'm an unwashed doofus. And believe me, as a windows refugee, I'm eternally thankful for whatever the Lords of Puppy dish out. "Thank you sir! May I have another!"
Jim1911

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 11:32    Post subject:  

Luci-250, frugal installation on an ext4 partition works great with one exception.

When trying to install GNU Compiler luci_devx_250.sfs using Quickpet, it reports that there are already too many sfs loaded (only 4 were loaded). Another try reports a broken link. Subsequent tries resulted in one or the other message. I would suspect a broken link is the cause of the problem.

Still testing.

Using radky's nice little PupControl for Setup is a nice touch. Works great.

Cheers, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jim
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 11:58    Post subject:  

Quote:
i686_ffmpeg, i686_libc, e2fsprogs, openssl, syslinux-4, bash 4.1 will be updated?

Good point. I was thinking about that this morning. Definitely no on the i686-ffmpeg and the i686-libc. The 386 versions of those are not being updated. The i686 versions are addons to conserve space in the iso.

The others are possible--probable that we will at the least test them in the next development release of luci-251. I have been running them in my own Lucid 5.2 for a month or so.

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 13:56; edited 3 times in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 11:59    Post subject:  

Quote:
When trying to install GNU Compiler luci_devx_250.sfs using Quickpet, it reports that there are already too many sfs loaded (only 4 were loaded). Another try reports a broken link. Subsequent tries resulted in one or the other message. I would suspect a broken link is the cause of the problem.

Oh, duh. I didn't upload a devx for luci 250. Sorry. I would say that constitutes a broken link Wink

Bug fixes so far
(not released yet)
alsa fix for sound not persistent
jwm menu icons for geany, sylpheed, gnome-mplayer
icewm background
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:20    Post subject:  

Quote:
Complete noob here, and unworthy to comment on anything, really. But statements like "should be the last release" panic me.

I didn't mean to cause panic! Lucid 5.2 is based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS--the LTS means Long Term Support (just over 2 more years). So Lucid could be around for that much longer, for those who want to use it. However, IMHO, Lucid is at the end of its development cycle--being based on kernel 2.6.33.2 which is starting to show its age. Whatever Barry chooses to replace Lucid will need to begin at the beginning of its development cycle--and I do not have the time to devote to it. Let me tell you the first half of that cycle is a *whole lot of work* and I have some other important stuff I need to do for a while. It's time for some new blood and new ideas and a new kernel Wink But there is no sense of urgency--Lucid 5.2.1 will be at the top of its game for at least 4-6 more months. I mentioned it to start some people thinking Wink

I would be very happy if Lucid 5.2 and 5.2.1 are compared to Puppy 4.3.1, that is, a mature and refined Linux distro that people find useful and enjoyable to use.

Theory: The way Woof works a new kernel will basically involve a new development cycle. Actually, that is because of the way most linux distros work, with a new release every 6 months or so (exactly 6 months in the case of Ubuntu). Woof uses a particular release, such as Lucid Lynx 10.04, so in order to upgrade someone will need to start with a newer release. I have always been intrigued by the Arch linux method of a "rolling release", where the distro is constantly updated. In fact, Lucid 5.2.1 will be a bit of a rolling release--with elements of both maverick and natty as well as some newly compiled packages. But that is one reason I say that it is now stretched about as far as it can be stretched without breaking.

Last edited by playdayz on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 13:56; edited 2 times in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:24    Post subject:  

Quote:
Sylpheed, Geany and Gnome MPlayer.
Ah-ha, 3 that were updated. Do I see a pattern? Wink Thanks.
check the desktop-files to see if they have the file-suffix in the Icon-Line.

Thanks aragon. That was it--when I updated the new desktop file overwrote the one that had been fixed for puppy. It is good to know that you are following the forum.
cowboy

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 13:07    Post subject:  

Playdayz,

thank you for the response. "Panic" was no doubt too strong a word - and thank you for the explanation about the Puppy releases vis-a-vis their related Ubuntu corollaries, like "Lucid". And I'm with you on 4.3, it's rock solid and a great place to build from. It's just a little harder sometimes to get up to speed from there, as programs must be updated "by hand", though that is a great learning experience.

5.2+ is such an accomplishment, and many of the developments it introduced will be around for a long time. It's the first linux distro I've really been comfortable moving to from Windows, for both work and play. Thank you for your efforts, Playdayz, for all of us out here who are re-learning what fun "computing" really is.
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 13:16    Post subject:  

Quote:
And will those new puppies read in my lupsave file?

Developers of the next Puppy/Puppies will have to consider that imho. If it is a 5 Series Puppy, which I think it would be if it was based on the latest Woof, then I think it probably should use (and update) the lupusave file. Perhaps that could be tested from the beginning.
James C

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 18:43    Post subject: Re: Luci 250 - The First Release Toward Lucid 5.2.1
Subject description: Many Updates, plus a few additions and enhancements

playdayz wrote:

Note: It looks like we might have the same problem with alsa that we had in Lucid 5.2. If sound is not persistent, right-click the volume/speaker icon in the tray and choose full window and then make sure Front is turned up. You can also delete /etc/init.d/10alsa, which fixed it last time (courtesy of 01micko).

Just wanted to confirm that deleting etc/init.d/10alsa took care of the sound problem here.Everything else looking good. Smile
James C

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 19:02    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
James you ahve to teach me do the GLX thing looks impressive to be able to give such figures. I use Acer D250 Netbook and they are very small and have a single core Atom CPU so I don't expect they render graphics that fast.

How does one do the glx gear thing?

"Glxgears" depends on having the correct video driver.I go to Quickpet, Drivers then "test your graphics card". Install the recommended driver (this old computer uses Xorg_High) and after installation open a terminal and enter"glxgears" without the quotes.

# glxgears
1199 frames in 5.0 seconds
1270 frames in 5.0 seconds
1915 frames in 5.0 seconds
2070 frames in 5.0 seconds
2105 frames in 5.0 seconds
1969 frames in 5.0 seconds
1942 frames in 5.0 seconds

This old computer is slow....some of the newer graphics will show numbers like 40000 frames in 5.0 seconds.
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 23 Feb 2011, 20:29    Post subject:  

upgrades
fun.png
 Description   
 Filesize   8.54 KB
 Viewed   2422 Time(s)

fun.png

Page 2 of 129 [1925 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 127, 128, 129 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: