The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

Re: ffmpeg in Package Manager

#1456 Post by bigpup »

sszindian wrote:Downloaded ffmpg from the PPM... It installed but did not make a menu entry in Multimedia (or anywhere else) like it should have. Went to main file and tried to run from there (as it did install) No Dice... Tried again with a download I was using in 520 (and a few other pup's) and that did the same thing so... I'm thinking it must be something with ffmpg itself and 525. Anyone else have this happen? :(

>>>---Indian------>
In PPM there are two ffmpeg libraries.
Maybe you need one of those also.

sszindian

ffmpeg

#1457 Post by sszindian »

Thanks bigpup!

I tried with both the packages downloaded & installed.... no dice!!!!

I even tried individual packages that I had working in other pup's and still 'No Menu Entry' plus the package won't even run from the main-file in the file system. For some strange reason, 525 just don't seem to like ffmpeg??? Shame to as everything else I used in previous 5xx versions runs great without a hitch on 525... was just so close to being the almost perfect Puppy too!

Maybe 530 will be better, we'll have to wait and see what Lobster does with that one?

>>>---Indian------>

RandSec

#1458 Post by RandSec »

cthisbear wrote:By the way.

I've noticed whingeing about the firewall not being on by default etc.

Security issues in Puppy.

This crap from a Windows bloke.
Give it a rest.
I suppose such incisive criticism deserves a response. First, I expect that we will all live longer if we learn to accept and embrace changes we cannot control.

Puppy does not have to change, indeed I expect it will not, but Puppy nevertheless exists within computing, and computing is changing, like it or not. Media consumers are getting much of what they want from smart phones and tablets, and their desktops are getting pushed into the corner, or laptops to the shelf. There will always be some market for serious computers for professionals, but even that increasingly will occur as broadband cloud computing. And as the classic platforms disappear, the opportunity they represent for Puppy also fades. Can we imagine loading Puppy to an i_Pad or i_Phone? Can we imagine Puppy replacing Android on a Linux smart phone? What happens to Puppy when only old fogies are Puppy-capable?

I have often wondered what goals the Puppy designers have in their minds, because the product, and the criticism allowed, do not seem to be trending in a good direction. Microsoft Windows is still the most-used OS on the planet, even though Puppy will load on most systems and is free. If people wanted Puppy, they could get Puppy. So if one of the goals is to attract Windows users, that is a fail. I am the exception.

Virtually all of my online activity now occurs in Puppy 5.2.5. More than that, I boot from DVD, and generally have no hard drive running at all, or flash either. Any Puppy feature which does not work in the LiveDVD environment will not work for me (such as a PPM update, as far as I know). I find the Puppy environment vastly calmer and, yes, more secure. In fact, security is why I am here, which is why it seems odd for people to criticize the very feature I have put serious effort into studying and attaining.

Let me ask you something: Do you have a door on your home? Do you have a latching doorknob? Do you lock it? And yet, as we see in the movies all the time, a couple of men with a battering-ram can break a door down. Does the fact that a door can be broken down make it useless? Why do we use doors? In the real world, there is (and can be) no perfect security. But we have a lot of basic day-to-day security from locks on our cars, wallets in our pockets, money card security codes and so on. As someone interested in security, I see the Puppy security door briefly being wide open, then closing, but not being latched or locked. On current equipment, security means not having a writable boot drive, and write permissions and mounting are unlikely to be effective against malware. As long as nobody wants in we have no problem, but can our current Puppies really resist modest attacks? I doubt it, but maybe that is just my opinion.

I have put some effort into switching our house to Puppy completely. We have a well-defined set of uses, so all we need is to fulfill them. We can get close, because, nowadays, most of our computing is online browsing, and the only time we really see the Puppy OS is when we start the browser. However, as a former sound guy, I really appreciate the modern surround sound in movie DVD's, but unfortunately have not been able to get Puppy to handle surround sound in my equipment. And I have yet to connect to my ancient but nevertheless very nice parallel-port scanner. That will be just my particular uncommon and semi-pro equipment, but it means I still have to run Windows, sometimes, to support my equipment. My experience is really just a metaphor for the growing mass of consumers who just want something to run what they have. Ordinary people particularly do not want to be insulted and demeaned when they complain about the product not doing what they need. Complaints actually should be seen as the best sort of information for developers, to be sought after and not just rejected out-of-hand. Consumers particularly do not want to be told to educate themselves in detail from a diffuse and misleading technical corpus which stands as a good argument against literacy itself.

So, lacking a motive for a serious influx of escapees from Microsoft Windows, and being tied to a fading platform, what are reasonable Puppy goals? I continue to promote security, because attaining that was worth making the change for me, at least to the extent I could. Security is a rich environment for Puppy improvement because not much has been done. But security is also irritating, unsatisfying and unmeasurable. The thing is, security seems to be the best chance to keep Puppy alive as computing changes. The smart phones are likely to be years behind in security, and the tablets are generally Wi-Fi which has continuing security issues. Into that gap can leap Puppy, but the product needs to look like designers take security seriously. That means thinking in new ways, and doing stuff accumulated over the years as normal in a Windows online environment, or making serious arguments that such is not needed.

By addressing Puppy security and its use as a DVD boot (and extended to improve security for USB flash drive and USB hard drive boots), I hope that Puppy could attract some consumers for perhaps a decade, just for secure online transactions. Old fogies may keep their machines forever, of course, and I have a stack of DOS machines which I used extensively for programming back in the day, but I have not used them for a decade or more. Even resisting old fogies get swept along by change.

bigpup

Re: ffmpeg

#1459 Post by bigpup »

sszindian wrote:Thanks bigpup!

I tried with both the packages downloaded & installed.... no dice!!!!

I even tried individual packages that I had working in other pup's and still 'No Menu Entry' plus the package won't even run from the main-file in the file system. For some strange reason, 525 just don't seem to like ffmpeg??? Shame to as everything else I used in previous 5xx versions runs great without a hitch on 525... was just so close to being the almost perfect Puppy too!

Maybe 530 will be better, we'll have to wait and see what Lobster does with that one?

>>>---Indian------>
Lucid 5.25 seems to come with ffmpeg.
I went to a terminal and typed ffmpeg and got this:
Attachments
image ffmpeg.jpg
(42.31 KiB) Downloaded 1241 times

sszindian

ffmpeg

#1460 Post by sszindian »

Yes... Terminal... However, when you type run command, it only takes you to the www.ffmpeg site where there is a ton of info.

If you have to run it from terminal, forget it, not worth the hastle. It's simply easier to go to another Puppy where I have it installed as a 'MENU ITEM' and use it there..

Wonder why 525 forgot to set this up ??

Anyway, thanks for all your help bigpup!

>>>---Indian------>

tubeguy

#1461 Post by tubeguy »

sszindian wrote:Yes... Terminal... However, when you type run command, it only takes you to the www.ffmpeg site where there is a ton of info.

If you have to run it from terminal, forget it, not worth the hastle. It's simply easier to go to another Puppy where I have it installed as a 'MENU ITEM' and use it there..

>>>---Indian------>
I think ffmpeg is command line only, other programs use ffmpeg to perform tasks from within a GUI environment. I just today discovered ffmpeg for transcoding audio and it is fantastic. Image
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

myke

Security

#1462 Post by myke »

I think, RandSec, what people are trying to tell you is that they can only understand what you are saying when you write "This is to introduce SecurPup based on Lucid [or whatever], which implements the security ideas that I think Puppy should have."

Once you have done that the discussion becomes concrete and not abstract. And your influence becomes greater.

In short, people listen and react to "proof of concept" not to abstract discussions.
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

bigpup

#1463 Post by bigpup »

tubeguy wrote:
sszindian wrote:Yes... Terminal... However, when you type run command, it only takes you to the www.ffmpeg site where there is a ton of info.

>>>---Indian------>
I think ffmpeg is command line only, other programs use ffmpeg to perform tasks from within a GUI environment. I just today discovered ffmpeg for transcoding audio and it is fantastic. Image
Could this be what you are looking for for ffmpeg?
FFconvert
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54056
It's a frontend for Ffmpeg.
Attachments
ffconvert.jpg
(28.88 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times

ABNormal

#1464 Post by ABNormal »

i'm trying the new 5.25 and HDMI detection is still wrong.

ATI Radeon hd5670
monitor hanns-g hg281d

sszindian

FFmpeg

#1465 Post by sszindian »

bigpup.... my hat's off to you, that ffmpegconvert frontend was exactly what I was looking for.. Appreciate all your time and effort on this! 'Thanks.'

I don't honestly remember how I got that before for other Pup's, gosh. my head is 'Puppy-Spinning' from so much testing on the last two versions plus I fool with a few other versions, plus I run Joli OS (jolicloud) system which I really do believe (cloud) is the future for computer users, sure would like to see a puppy-CLOUD down the road! I presented John Murga with an email on this subject awhile back to get his thoughts on possibly suggesting a place to try an announcement somewhere and see what the Puppy developers think about the possibilities.... he never responded... at least not yet... must be a busy person!!! At any rate, I think Puppy would be a perfect CLOUD system if someone would develop the browser for it!

As you stated, ffmpeg (latest edition) is already installed in 525 so it appears that the two ffmpeg packages in the PPM are really not necessary... I'll check that out with a convert later today. If this is so, maybe it would be a good idea for someone to get the ffmpeg convert.pet in the PPM.

Hmmm... now we're back to a 'perfect Puppy' again... :D

>>>---Indian------>

Greatnessguru

BaCon for Lucid 5.25?

#1466 Post by Greatnessguru »

Hello,

I'ld like to tinker a bit with BaCon that Barry talks about.
I run Lucid 5.25. I installed lupu_devx_525.sfs.
"gcc --help" works, but "bacon --help": ERROR: file not found!

I also did Update in PPM. I found no "bacon" PETs there.

Is "BaCon" available for Lucid 5.25? How?

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox

playdayz

#1467 Post by playdayz »

Thanks to technosaurus and BarryK
Thunar 1.0.2 with good icons and everything!!!
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 1-i486.pet

Remember: Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#1468 Post by playdayz »

Yes, it is in lupu_devx_525.sfs.
Attachments
bacon-yes.png
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 1090 times

Greatnessguru

#1469 Post by Greatnessguru »

playdayz wrote:

Yes, it is in lupu_devx_525.sfs.
# bacon
# bacon -h
It works! How wonderful.

Btw, I would like to see a wrapper, or whatever, for Ghostscript.
I don't see BaCon docs on how to do that,
just a list of ones that have already been done.
How can I learn how to do this?

Thanks very much,
Eddie Maddox

rcrsn51

#1470 Post by rcrsn51 »

Could someone please try doing a flash drive install with BootFlash?

In my tests, the procedure hung and left the drive as unallocated space. There appears to be a conflict between /usr/sbin/makebootfat and the file /usr/lib/syslinux/ldlinux.bss. When I replaced ldlinux.bss with the version from Quirky, the install worked correctly.

Possibly a new and incompatible version of syslinux has been introduced?

bigpup

#1471 Post by bigpup »

Bootflash did the same thing to me. Seems you are right about a problem.
Did what you said it did to you.

RandSec

Problem Playing Music CD on 5.2.5

#1472 Post by RandSec »

While running 5.2.5 loaded from LiveDVD, I wanted to listen to a simple music CD. All-in-all, 3 different players failed: Gnome, Pmusic and pCD. By "failed" I mean they locked up tight and had to be killed. This happened multiple times, with no sound produced. This system routinely plays videos with good sound. After considerable disbelief and confusion, I eventually downloaded and installed VLC, which worked fine the first time. Perhaps someone can clarify the issue for me. Thanks!

James C

Re: Problem Playing Music CD on 5.2.5

#1473 Post by James C »

RandSec wrote:While running 5.2.5 loaded from LiveDVD, I wanted to listen to a simple music CD. All-in-all, 3 different players failed: Gnome, Pmusic and pCD. By "failed" I mean they locked up tight and had to be killed. This happened multiple times, with no sound produced. This system routinely plays videos with good sound. After considerable disbelief and confusion, I eventually downloaded and installed VLC, which worked fine the first time. Perhaps someone can clarify the issue for me. Thanks!
Testing as I'm posting.....put a Earth, Wind and Fire cd in the optical drive, the disc showed up as sr0. Clicked the icon and pCD started playing, no problem.

Pmusic.....working here too.

MPlayer.....works too, however won't change tracks.
All 3 play here and nothing locked up so.........I would normally suggest something corrupted in the install bur since you're running from DVD that's doubtful.Hopefully someone else will have a good idea or two.

Oh, I'm running a frugal install of 525.

scsijon

oh hal!

#1474 Post by scsijon »

I seem to have a problem :oops: , i'm missing the hal deamon at /usr/sbin/hald, am I alone?

thanks
scsijon

Minnesota

Puppy installer

#1475 Post by Minnesota »

Not sure if related to the comment "rcrsn51: Could someone please try doing a flash drive install with BootFlash? " As I do not know what bootflash is... However, yesterday I tried four times, on two different duel processor machines to build a STICK... using the universal installer. All seems to go well.. till I attempt to boot. Loading starts and then says it can not find...xxxx 525.sfs. Dropping to randisk console...

It is on the drive, I can see it. Has anyone else been able to build a stick with in 525. Earlier versions worked. I will see if I can find or try again with earlier versions. I even cleaned and reformatted the stick to ext3 with Gparted. Still same problem. Did I answer a question wrong?
Thanks.