The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rjbrewer

#1171 Post by rjbrewer »

Wifi connection fails occasionally with Lupu version of "stay
connected".

Still good with original version.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

sinc

#1172 Post by sinc »

Using 525. Installed jemimahs Frisbee, x-org high, and iron. Downloaded gimp sfs and java sfs (2 updates old :) ). and everything is working perfectly for me. I've yet to have any trouble. Thanks.

pemasu

#1173 Post by pemasu »

Something I compiled in lucid 511 based derivative.
Cbr image file comic book reader Cbrpager.

Those who like to test straight from the compilator. Experimental at this stage. lives-1.4.2.pet
Link to the Lives video editor. It starts but I dont know if you can really edit videos with it.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 806#509806

Also link to the latest parcellite.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 023#509023
Attachments
cbrpager-0.9.22.pet
(28.8 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

playdayz

#1174 Post by playdayz »

connected".
Are you sure you are turning it on--it is not on by default. Click the menu entry and then you can check in Pprocess--Search for stay-connected.

rjbrewer

#1175 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:
connected".
Are you sure you are turning it on--it is not on by default. Click the menu entry and then you can check in Pprocess--Search for stay-connected.
That little window is a bit confusing;
Will keep playing with it.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#1176 Post by nooby »

playdayz good that you told us I had no idea such existed either but luckily on ethernet I have not lost contact using Simple Network S... so maybe it is more critical with wifi?

we had a thread some time ago a few days ago a guy losing contact wifi maybe it was as simple as him on Lupu and did not new about that Pprocess thing and the setting there? I am in Lupu now. I have to go look then

There are no stay connected in that one at all?

You mean that explain why him loose contact and I would too if I used the Router and wifi?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

puppyluvr

#1177 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Testing Lupu 5.25 now...
Specs...
Compaq CQ56 laptop
Intel Celeron 900 2.2g processor w/ 1mb cache
2gb ram, 1 gb swap partition
Intel 4500 graphics
Intel HDA audio
Realtec wifi 2860/5390

Desktop auto configured correctly @ 1366x768
Installed RT5390 pet...
Installed Opera from Quickpet..
Wireless driver connected fine, persisted thru reboot...
Abiword, Geany, GMplayer all work fine...

Only complaint...How to enable scrolling in OB??
And can O/B roll windows U/D by scrolling the title bar??

Will test more and be back....

@EDIT:...Rebooted to jwm, realized no scrolling either.. :oops:
Checked xorg.conf....wrong device (Samsung)...
Installed xorghigh from Quickpet..
Exit to prompt, ran xorgwizard, chose "Choose"..
Selected Intel...removed i810, restarted X...
Scrolling/shading enabled in Jwm and OB...

Wireless autoconnected after 2nd reboot...
Alsa autoconfigured to my card...
Video is smooth fullscreen, as is Flash via Youtube in Opera...

All in all, probably the best "Official release" yet, IMHO....

Only complaint...blurry default BG pic...LOL....
Testing.................
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

gcmartin

Working with LiveDVD, ISOs, and download+boot multiple PUPs

#1178 Post by gcmartin »

nooby wrote:
ASRI éducation wrote:
nooby wrote:What could be changed that made it go into panic when 257 never did go into panic. is it totally random then or what? [/b]
Probably a badly burned CD.
Sorry I only do frugal install on the hdd. My Acer have no CD nor any DVD player and I am too "stingy"? to buy an external DVD player.

Can one use an internal DVD player externally on a Netbook? :)
I will go test latest iso again now and also what Stu came up with. A Lupu Lite 525
Check for a PM to you that might help.

charlie6

Re: kernel panic

#1179 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
thanks Playdaz and all contributing forum members for this lupu-525...I love it!
nooby wrote:
ASRI éducation wrote:
nooby wrote:What could be changed that made it go into panic when 257 never did go into panic. is it totally random then or what?
Also got a lot of kernel panics along the various lupu_2XY story, and have fixed it - that looks trivial - first by checking if the md5sum of the on-partition-loaded-lupu_5XY.sfs matches to the one on the live-cd (this one supposed to be checked OK before and after burning !!): in each case the downloaded sfs was corrupted - perhaps...could be not enough space on partition and deleting some unused files probably have helped.
Fix: just have
1) to bootup from live-cd with pfix=ram
2) if necessary to make enough space on partition (check with GParted)
3) check lupu_5XY.sfs md5sum match
4) to copy again the lupu_52X.sfs from live-cd to partition.
Hope this helps !
Have fun!
Charlie

sszindian

Congrad's playdayz !!!!

#1180 Post by sszindian »

Nice job as usual from playdayz who has to put up with a whole bunch of tough testors :lol: You really should get a medal !

525 is a piece of art.... nice to have a program where everything works the way it should!
Put it through loads of tests, so far no faults!

Now... 525 would just be perfect if one of the knowledge boys (girls) could get us a really nice 'SCREENSAVER' for the PPM :wink:

God luck on the next version playdayz :) :) :)

>>>---Indian------>

playdayz

#1181 Post by playdayz »

Now... 525 would just be perfect if one of the knowledge boys (girls) could get us a really nice 'SCREENSAVER' for the PPM
I agree with that.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet
Here's Chromium 12, a daily build from today. Were people having trouble running Chromium? This one works for me in Lucid 5.2.5. Like Iron 10, Chromium 12 seems to have its own video codecs, ffmpeg this time instead of libavcodec, so both would be worth trying for video junkies. First impressions, I would say that Iron 10 seems faster.
What could be changed that made it go into panic when 257 never did go into panic. is it totally random then or what?
Like Charlie6, almost always when I get kernel panic it is because of a bad CD or a CD that my old CD drive can't read 100% of the time. And that could write a bad lupu-525.sfs to a frugal install.

den999

Issue Audio Driver Lucid 5.25

#1182 Post by den999 »

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new... so could be a trivial question !

I am running Lucid Puppy 5.25 through a USB pen drive.

I have a Samsung SF310 laptop which has "hda-intel Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition" as per the output of alsa sound config tool.

I follow the steps of the Alsa tool / reboot / but still have no sound.

Does anyone would see the problem ?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

marco07

#1183 Post by marco07 »

Hello Folks:
I have installed 5.25. So far so good. I have removed a few applications including Abiword, gnumeric and home banking, since I use libre office most times. The menu still shows the help files for these removed applications.
How can I remove the help files? They do not show up in "Remove Builtin Packages" list.
Thank you!

playdayz

#1184 Post by playdayz »

Abiword, gnumeric and home banking, since I use libre office most times. The menu still shows the help files for these removed applications.
The easiest thing marco07 is to go to the directory /usr/share/applications and delete the files abiword_help.desktop, etc. Then when you restart the X server the menus will automatically be fixed, or you can run the command 'fixmenus'.

Those menu entries are nothing but the browser going to the Help site.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 02 Apr 2011, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1185 Post by playdayz »

What would I do if I had sound troubles? (Let’s collaborate on this and prepare some Help for anyone with some troubles. Thanks.)

0. As strange as it sounds, wait a minute and a half after you boot up. We have had two reliable reports that this sometimes helps.

1. Right-click volume icon in system tray and choose Full Window--then make sure everything plausible is checked and turned up (Front, Main, PCM, etc.). It's different on each sound card.

2. If #1 did not work, I would reboot with the pfix=ram option, so that nothing I had done previously would cause trouble. After booting, try #1 again. Do not use alsawizard yet.

3. If no sound, open Menu -> Multimedia Tools -> Alsamixer (alsamixer, not alsawizard). Press F6 and that will show you what sound devices have been detected and configured. If yours is not the top one then arrow down and click it, then make sure everything plausible is turned up. I have to do this with my “second

marco07

#1186 Post by marco07 »

playdayz wrote:
Abiword, gnumeric and home banking, since I use libre office most times. The menu still shows the help files for these removed applications.
The easiest thing marco07 is to go to the directory /usr/share/applications and delete the files abiword_help.desktop, etc. Then when you restart the X server the menus will automatically be fixed, or you can run the command 'fixmenus'.

Those menu entries are nothing but the browser going to the Help site.
All done.
Thanks playdayz!

gortonc

#1187 Post by gortonc »

Looks like great work guys! I would just like clarification on one point; Does the tool ( Menu > Setup > Remove built in packages) actually remove packages from the save file or only hide them from the user? If so it would seem to make Woof obsolete (for me at least)!

Thanks to all for all the hard work!

Chris

playdayz

#1188 Post by playdayz »

I think the bottom picture means you just turned Stay-Connect on and the top picture means that it is on and you could turn it off.
Attachments
staycon-2.png
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 1774 times
staycon-1.png
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 1880 times

playdayz

#1189 Post by playdayz »

Looks like great work guys! I would just like clarification on one point; Does the tool ( Menu > Setup > Remove built in packages) actually remove packages from the save file or only hide them from the user?
Someone will know better than me but previously it would hide packages *until* you remastered and they would then not be included in the remaster. Remastering is a great way to make puplets.

pemasu

#1190 Post by pemasu »

Remove builtin packages is best used before remastering
you can really remove apps so that they are not in remastered version.