The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

Re: Not a make or break

#1066 Post by 01micko »

:lol:
ICPUG wrote:I think 01micko is having a bad day!
Nah.. just a bad moment :lol:

I found consolation in sc0ttman's game he posted http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 027#509027 :D

Runs great! (though I had to have a crash course from my young bloke into how to control the thing!)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#1067 Post by playdayz »

Chrome and Iron won't even run on my computers...........
Iron 10 should run in lucid. Oh, I see, unless for older computers.

chrismt

#1068 Post by chrismt »

@ playdayz

What is new in 522 compared to 521? Just numbers?

cowboy

lupu 521RC

#1069 Post by cowboy »

running lupu 521RC from Live CD and new ext3 savefile on vfat USB stick. Boot to desktop was fine. Changed timezone, and Numlock checkbox is excellent, has it always been there? Thought perhaps, Playdayz, that the warning to create savefile before setting up internet connection might be bolder or separated from paragraph - I didn't see it the first time around, expected it to come when clicking on the setup icon or something. Still, fine as is though.

Rebooted 20 times. Internet connection persistent throughout. Sound was iffy - booted as muted each time, even after right click and setting up different levels, and trying alsamixer. However, sound DOES appear without interference about 1 minute and 30 seconds into a new session. Waiting for that period of time always cleared up the sound issue.

installed firefox 4, no issues with firewall, ran gdmap, calculator, geany, nicoedit, pfind, mtpaint, pupcontrol, updated lucid PPM through Quickpet without issue. will check burning CD with burniso. No problems with desktop seizing, no black screen issues on any reboot.

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 522
Chip description:
Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

All devs involved with this release - y'all rule.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

playdayz

#1070 Post by playdayz »

What is new in 522 compared to 521? Just numbers?
Very few changes. A Quickpet update plus some new text on the firstrun dialog.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 31 Mar 2011, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1071 Post by playdayz »

Can anyone explain to me the bug about Rox running slowly. When does it happen? Can you make it happen? Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 31 Mar 2011, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1072 Post by playdayz »

Sound was iffy - booted as muted each time, even after right click and setting up different levels, and trying alsamixer. However, sound DOES appear without interference about 1 minute and 30 seconds into a new session.
Oh my. A minute and a half. That's something to think about. The sound is something that the next versions of puppy ought to work hard on. I know there are different schemes than the one we use--which sometimes will work when ours doesn't, *but* ours will work when sometimes the others don't. IMHO, ours has received more debugging than the others--and just changing schemes would be asking for it, again IMHO. If we changed we would need to do another month of testing! Someone needs to make it a priority from scratch. That said, I do think our sound scheme can almost always be made to work with a little twiddling--well, even more, it does work without any twiddling in most cases.

stu90

#1073 Post by stu90 »

Another update for pfbpanel GUI :D

Added a new tab Pplugins with 4 plugins:
System up time.
CPU tempreture.
Save file used space.
Wifi hotspot name.
Attachments
pfbpanel.gz
back up pfbpanel and move to /usr/sbin
(5.55 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

666philb

#1074 Post by 666philb »

A small thing, but it could stop a fair bit of misery for people. On the issue of the compiz_xfce4-4.6.2-Lucid.pet . When people install it, it tells them to restart x into xfce, however they are then met with no windows borders!. This is solved by rebooting, and i think the install message should notify them of that.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#1075 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:Hi bigpup

I can confirm and also fix....

BUT!

What annoys me is that we have hundreds of testers yet not one discovered this? It was introduced on 2101202.

(Don't mind me, jus' lettin' off some steeam Image )
I did post this back on page 58.
NA! NA! NA! NA! NA!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 515#507515

You keep doing what you do.
It is a minor thing. That is what RC releases are all about.
Look for the polishing touches and hope that is all you need to do.

OK EVERYONE!
GROUP HUG FOR O1Micko :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

For that Matter GROUP HUG EVERYONE :D

pemasu

#1076 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. One way to get rox running slowly and also inhibit cups printing is change inside the /etc/hostname puppypc to something else but leave /etc/hosts puppypc unchanged.
It has something to do with Rox routines.
There is thread somewhere recently where dougal probed the problem and Rox behavior.
Mismatch in those hostnames inside those files makes Rox behave slowly and i remember reports that it has also stopped cups printing.

James C

#1077 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Sound was iffy - booted as muted each time, even after right click and setting up different levels, and trying alsamixer. However, sound DOES appear without interference about 1 minute and 30 seconds into a new session.
Oh my. A minute and a half. That's something to think about. The sound is something that the next versions of puppy ought to work hard on. I know there are different schemes than the one we use--which sometimes will work when ours doesn't, *but* ours will work when sometimes the others don't. IMHO, ours has received more debugging than the others--and just changing schemes would be asking for it, again IMHO. If we changed we would need to do another month of testing! Someone needs to make it a priority from scratch. That said, I do think our sound scheme can almost always be made to work with a little twiddling--well, even more, it does work without any twiddling in most cases.
For what its worth, as is well documented earlier in the thread, my main Linux box with a full install of 5.20 has had the same sound problem. Every reboot the sound is muted but about a minute or so later the sound will magically unmute and start working fine.....until I reboot.
However, on my testing frugal installs (now 522) there have been no sound problems at all...works fine from initial boot with no delay.

chrismt

#1078 Post by chrismt »

hmm, I never used the Chromium browser so i didn't find the bug......anyway I would like to thank all puppy developers and community....just in case....someone like to run away from developing Puppy because people are not grateful - just kidding

:D

bigpup

#1079 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Can anyone explain to me the bug about Rox running slowly. When does it happen? Can you make it happen? Thanks.
I think this is it.
They did figure out what caused it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66111

bigpup

#1080 Post by bigpup »

James C wrote:
playdayz wrote:
For what its worth, as is well documented earlier in the thread, my main Linux box with a full install of 5.20 has had the same sound problem. Every reboot the sound is muted but about a minute or so later the sound will magically unmute and start working fine.....until I reboot.
However, on my testing frugal installs (now 522) there have been no sound problems at all...works fine from initial boot with no delay.
You know, as fast as Puppy boots up. I wonder if some of this old hardware has time to power-up.
You know that other operating system takes like minutes to boot.

That was something that had to be done to Firewall status.
Make it delay working, to give time for the network to come on line.
Take a look next time you reboot.
Firewall status will show up in tray about 30 seconds after you get a desktop.

cowboy

sylpheed menu item

#1081 Post by cowboy »

Sylpheed is offered as a menu item in both "Internet" and "Network". Is the Network entry normal?
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

bigpup

#1082 Post by bigpup »

You know, sometimes the small problems get overlooked trying to solve the big problem.
Attachments
image01717.JPG
(57.08 KiB) Downloaded 1083 times

bigpup

#1083 Post by bigpup »

Pwidgets for Quickpet and PPM.

Pwidgets is now at version 2.3.5
A lot of bug fixes.

playdayz

#1084 Post by playdayz »

Rox running slowly.
I got it. 01micko explains in Shinobar's Wary thread. It comes from renaming /etc/hosts and not /etc/hostname, or vice versa.

playdayz

#1085 Post by playdayz »

Sylpheed is offered as a menu item in both "Internet" and "Network". Is the Network entry normal?
One entry is normal. Just missed it until now.