The Official Release of Lucid 5.25 (Lucid Five Twenty-Five)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#106 Post by playdayz »

actually submitted a bug, 636433, that is only fixed in 1.10.13 (caused incorrect calculations in my ballistics spreadsheet). I'm wondering too, what is the procedure for getting that change, since no Puppy currently has that version. I have Lupu 511, I wonder if someone has compiled 1.10.13 and put it into an Ubuntu repository somewhere? Couldn't find anything...

could someone compile gnumeric 1.10.13 and include in lucid pet packages -
I sent this to ttuuxxx since he compiled the 1.10.12 that we are using in Lucid 5.2.

playdayz

#107 Post by playdayz »

actually submitted a bug, 636433, that is only fixed in 1.10.13 (caused incorrect calculations in my ballistics spreadsheet). I'm wondering too, what is the procedure for getting that change, since no Puppy currently has that version. I have Lupu 511, I wonder if someone has compiled 1.10.13 and put it into an Ubuntu repository somewhere? Couldn't find anything...

yarddog, This is a quick and dirty "fix." If it is a fix. Natty uses 1.10.13 and these are the natty files for gnumeric. It runs for me in luci-252. Perhaps you could test the fix for your bug--but be warned that even if it fixes that bug there might be other bugs but it is something to try.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

Jades

251 does not work AT ALL on K6 2 500

#108 Post by Jades »

I've just tried an upgrade from a fresh Live-CD install of Luci-250 to 251 on the K6 2 500 machine and it did a kernel panic on boot. I've also tried to Live-CD boot on a pfix=ram startup and in both cases it kernel panics at the stage of performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem.

I see while typing this that you have now brought out Luci-252. Will you please slow down the rate of releases because you are making it virtually impossible for proper testing and feedback to be done.

I am increasingly suspecting that the root cause of the problems on K6 2 systems from Lupu versions newer than 511 is that you are using Ubuntu binaries direct from the mainstream and that all which are from versions newer than Lucid Lynx LTS are i686 or higher only.

Other than the reported issue with sound, Luci-250 seemed to load OK on the brief testing I did. Didn't check all of the apps, however.
Last edited by Jades on Tue 01 Mar 2011, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#109 Post by James C »

Did a manual upgrade of the frugal install on the old P4 test box from 251 to 252.Upgrade went well other than the desktop icons being messed up which was an easy fix.
Initial boot after upgrade still had JWM,my preferred wallpaper and Pwidgets just as they had been in 251. All previously installed pets are still in place and working.The only thing changed before the screenshot was to fix the icons.
Looking good.

Going to upgrade a full install from 520 to 252 next.

ttuuxxx

#110 Post by ttuuxxx »

I'm working on the Gnumeric issue.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

James C

#111 Post by James C »

Already upgraded a full install on the old P4 test box from 520 to Luci 252.Same result,everything working and the only little problem was the messed up icons.All previously installed pets are still working....Pwidgets, Chromium , SeaMonkey,VLC etc..
Just need to change the wallpaper.... :lol:
Attachments
luci-252.png
(167.59 KiB) Downloaded 1037 times

sszindian

Kernel Panic !!!

#112 Post by sszindian »

Jades:

I had the same issue (kernel panic) with 250, 251 but with 252 it appears (so far) to be OK! (I'm writing this on 252). Even did a shutdown and reboot.

I didn't mention this earlier as I thought the problem might be me or my HD or something, and no one else seemed to experience the problem however, give 252 a shot and see if it 'repairs itself' like mine did!

On the 252 itself... I thought there would be some more new features like 1mick0 put in his new Spup but I guess this is moving twards the next release at too much a super pace so myself, I probably won't ask (or push) for anything like I did on 520 :)

Still glad to test though!

>>>---Indian------>

playdayz

#113 Post by playdayz »

On the 252 itself... I thought there would be some more new features like 1mick0 put in his new Spup but I guess this is moving twards the next release at too much a super pace so myself, I probably won't ask (or push) for anything like I did on 520 Smile
Name those features please sszindian. If 01micko has implemented them then he might help us as always. But you are right that mainly we are going for updates here.

playdayz

#114 Post by playdayz »

Did a manual upgrade of the frugal install on the old P4 test box from 251 to 252.Upgrade went well other than the desktop icons being messed up which was an easy fix.
JamesC, For the messed up icons, can you use DeskSetup Icon Templates to make a template of how you want them, and then after the upgrade you can use the program and the template to reset them?

playdayz

#115 Post by playdayz »

am increasingly suspecting that the root cause of the problems on K6 2 systems from Lupu versions newer than 511 is that you are using Ubuntu binaries direct from the mainstream and that all which are from versions newer than Lucid Lynx LTS are i686 or higher only.
Yes. I agree. I am wondering whether we might not should go ahead and say that, and recommend Wary and Lucid 5.1.1 for older computers. This time I think there might be too many "new" packages and binaries to try to sort it out. It appears that Ubuntu is doing the same thing--which makes it mainstream I guess.

I thought a K6 *was* an i686 cpu--but now I think there must be some difference.

James C

#116 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
JamesC, For the messed up icons, can you use DeskSetup Icon Templates to make a template of how you want them, and then after the upgrade you can use the program and the template to reset them?
Before both upgrades I had been using the minimal icons.The upgrades apparently put all the default icons on top which made a mess. :)
I simply, in both cases, went to Desksetup Icon Templates,made sure that minimal was checked and the original minmal icons were back when X was restarted. Easy enough.

playdayz

#117 Post by playdayz »

Will you please slow down the rate of releases because you are making it virtually impossible for proper testing and feedback to be done.
Yes. As it says on the first page, Luci-252 is up for at least a week.

Here was my thinking: Once people found a certain number of bugs and fixes I would implement them in the next version. I thought there was no use making people view the same old bugs, rather take a step forward.. It might not have been comfortable for everyone but it has seemed to work OK.

ttuuxxx

#118 Post by ttuuxxx »

playdayz wrote:

I sent this to ttuuxxx since he compiled the 1.10.12 that we are using in Lucid 5.2.
hi playdayz I had a look at the latest gnumeric, and well the backend is too old. Requested 'libgoffice-0.8 >= 0.8.10' but version of libGOffice is 0.8.1
Requested 'libgsf-1 >= 1.14.18' but version of libgsf-1 is 1.14.16

even when I revert the numbers to the Luci 5.2 version numbers it compiles for a bit and then gets errors and stops, when I fix the errors, I get more and more etc.
Well you decide, if you want the other 2 libs libgoffice, libgsf I could compile the newer ones and add system links to the older release numbers and see how it goes
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Jim1911

#119 Post by Jim1911 »

James C wrote:Already upgraded a full install on the old P4 test box from 520 to Luci 252.Same result,everything working and the only little problem was the messed up icons.All previously installed pets are still working....Pwidgets, Chromium , SeaMonkey,VLC etc..
Do you have to rename anything to do a full installation upgrade? It seems unusual that you can upgrade from 520 to 252.

playdayz

#120 Post by playdayz »

hi playdayz I had a look at the latest gnumeric, and well the backend is too old. Requested 'libgoffice-0.8 >= 0.8.10' but version of libGOffice is 0.8.1
Requested 'libgsf-1 >= 1.14.18' but version of libgsf-1 is 1.14.16
even when I revert the numbers to the Luci 5.2 version numbers it compiles for a bit and then gets errors and stops, when I fix the errors, I get more and more etc.
Well you decide, if you want the other 2 libs libgoffice, libgsf I could compile the newer ones and add system links to the older release numbers and see how it goes
ttuuxxx
Yeah, This is what I mean by Lucid being stretched about as far as it can be stretched.
Let's give it a try if you don't mind--it could affect Abiword I think, but maybe we'll get lucky. Let's stop if it turns into a hassle. ;-) Thanks.

sszindian

252 & where we going?

#121 Post by sszindian »

sszindian wrote:

On the 252 itself... I thought there would be some more new features like 1mick0 put in his new Spup but I guess this is moving twards the next release at too much a super pace so myself, I probably won't ask (or push) for anything like I did on 520 Smile

Playdayz wrote:

Name those features please sszindian. If 01micko has implemented them then he might help us as always. But you are right that mainly we are going for updates here.

sszindian says:

1: One 'main one' he has is FPROT in the menu itself but... it's a full-featured version that finally lets you work with the program, not just a static thing in the background not knowing just what it does or how (if anything?)

2: ffconvert... a fantastic program for those of us who work on websites, constantly converting MP4's, MP3's etc to other formats.

I believe there were more but I haven't used Spup for awhile, I'm sure 01mick0 knows what they are between 520 & Spup !!! but I reliaze he's a very busy person and can only do so much.

Please don't take this the wrong way... Every programmer that is working on or currently developing a Puppy version should be in touch somehow with one another and share more of their knowledge !!! The day (at least I believe) is fast coming that Puppy Individual versions will be no more... why do I say that... If any of you have seen 'Jolicloud' and tried it, along with some other 'Cloud' systems out there, 'Cloud Computing' will be the way most of the world turns on to their computers and I believe in the not-to-far-future! Watch Distrowatch and see how Jolicloud has taken the interest of the general computing public just within the last few months... It's what the average computer-user wants... they take care of all upgraded programs, it's a fairly simple yet very-full program and completly fills the needs of the end-user.

Maybe it's time for all the Puppy programmers to get together and see if a 'Cloud Puppy' could not be developed.

Myself, I love Puppy but am starting to wear-out trying to find the Puppy that will fill all my needs, now and down the road. To be quiet truthfull Playdayz, my main Puppy program right now is Incidious Puppy002 based on Debian, I thought that would at least have the longest run time for any version of Puppy but now... that version has been dropped and again, 'you're on your own.'

Hope you see my point!

>>>---Indian------>

marco07

#122 Post by marco07 »

James C wrote:Did a manual upgrade of the frugal install on the old P4 test box from 251 to 252.Upgrade went well other than the desktop icons being messed up which was an easy fix.
Do I understand correct that by manual upgrade, you mean copying the 3 Puppy required files from live CD into the HDD directory and maintaining the safe file from 251?
Thanks!

James C

#123 Post by James C »

Jim1911 wrote:
James C wrote:Already upgraded a full install on the old P4 test box from 520 to Luci 252.Same result,everything working and the only little problem was the messed up icons.All previously installed pets are still working....Pwidgets, Chromium , SeaMonkey,VLC etc..
Do you have to rename anything to do a full installation upgrade? It seems unusual that you can upgrade from 520 to 252.
Kinda surprised myself but it just upgraded without renaming anything.Just clicked on "upgrade" in the installer,waited a couple of minutes for the installer to work then rebooted into 252.Only problem was the icons...everything else was still installed and working.

James C

#124 Post by James C »

marco07 wrote:
James C wrote:Did a manual upgrade of the frugal install on the old P4 test box from 251 to 252.Upgrade went well other than the desktop icons being messed up which was an easy fix.
Do I understand correct that by manual upgrade, you mean copying the 3 Puppy required files from live CD into the HDD directory and maintaining the safe file from 251?
Thanks!
Exactly. :) Deleted the 3 old files from 251,copied in the new files from 252 and retained the save file.

playdayz

#125 Post by playdayz »

Has anyone had trouble with gparted since the release of lucid 5.2?

I know Jades has with the K6. Anyone else, with what cpu? Thanks.