How to save to Savefile only on demand in Puppy 5.2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mechanic_Kharkov

#31 Post by Mechanic_Kharkov »

2 Sylvander:
1. I think it's not a good idea to hardcoded deleting the .XLOADED file. If everything is ok with X - maybe. But if something going wrong, then this prompt helps to bypass X starting. I know that there is ability to use pfix=nox, but standard prompt seems to be more finger-saving technology (less typing required) :-)

2. It really does. It thinks that it's still on flash in some mystic way. But it's not my own fault [or glory]. Yes, I really edited a little some configuration files on CD, but there was nothing about savefile location. I have just add a key to forcing ACPI usage - it's necessary to powerdown correctly on my board, and add a notification about ACPI is forced to boot.msg file ("Just wait 5 seconds for normal startup (note that acpi is forced)").
Now the "isolinux.cfg" file contents such settings:

Code: Select all

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd acpi=force 
There is no flash references in boot config files on CD. The reference is still maybe somewhere inside pupsave file itself. Maybe the cause is last saving of pupsave file under alive X. So, pupmode=13 is still active (it's exactly correct, because the prompt on shutdown inserted to case 13 only, and it appears anyway).
Btw, while trying to save pupsave file from command line (/usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw) with X inactive I've got some "file is locked" conditions. So it does not work while some processes are still running. And I really have no idea neither which ones exactly nor how to stop them.
So, next step is trying to burn onto CD pupsave file after correct shutdown with session saved on exit. Awaiting for save completion (now it still saves. about 30 minutes were already passed).

Thanks for remastering ISO file manual too. I did not know how to do it under linux, and used UltraISO under windows.

SimpleWater wrote:I used this method, and works nice, but not guaranteed. It does save on certain situations. I think restarting X is one of them.
I have a bit strange situation with the file laying on CD (read-only CD-ROM), but with saving abilities also activated. So if any saving would be tried to perform then the system must raise some writing error message [or simply hang-up]. But nothing like that was detected even when restarting X many times. So, it seems that the X restarting is not an accidental save cause.
[color=brown][size=75][i]Let's digitize the world to re-compile it to better suit our own needs![/i][/size][/color]

backi

#32 Post by backi »

Hi folks !
Tried several options .(mochi mopel--)
Somehow after installing a pet file then shutdown without saving (with mochimopels script) previous installed pet file still saved ,despite shutdown
without saving.(this occurs alwasy after installing programms either pet or deb files)
Other changes (for example a text file) where not saved.
what is that ?
Same effect- result with sylvanders change of the rc.shutdown.

then tried reversed action ,deleting the program(previous installed pet or deb files) manually (during session) then -shutdown without save.but now the " no save" option did work. These files still where there despite deleting during session.
Strange behaviour.
My saveintervalls are set to =0.
Does anybody know a simple way to choose save or not to save at shutdown .
I also used pupsavecinfig pet similar results.
I am using macpup 525- lucid- puppy 529- and dpupexprimo on USB stick.

Sylvander

#33 Post by Sylvander »

1. All of my Puppies are each loaded using a "live" CD-RW, with the pupsave+SFS filepair...
Either on an ext3 partition on a Flash Drive, or else on an ext3 partition on an internal HDD...

2. And a file included in the ISO has had a configuration setting changed...
So that the pupsave on the HDD is treated as though a pupsave on a Flash Drive->[GREAT feature].

3. Not all of my Puppies [at least 1 doesn't] have feature 2 working, even when the necessary change has been made. :(
Don't know why.

login123

#34 Post by login123 »

Fwiw, the method described in post 1 still works for Puppy 5.2.8.05. You still get a harmless warning during restart.

If I had a tiny bit more courage I would try some of those dialog options. :) Has anyone used them enough to say they work without fail?

Thanks.

mikeb

#35 Post by mikeb »

ripping out the code that generates and uses that .xloaded is the best thing you can do for any puppy...its totally pointless and just gets in the way.

mike

Moat

#36 Post by Moat »

login123 wrote: You still get a harmless warning during restart.
Hi login123 - did you catch this post by Bruce B, one page back in this very thread? Looks like a simple solution for eliminating that warning - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 050#522050

Bob

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

The stupid code that writes it is in /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin and the stupid code that reads it is in /etc/profile

I like to point out stupid :D

mike

mikeslr

A method for simpletons

#38 Post by mikeslr »

Since this thread was re-opened some 4 years after login123's original post seeking a “simple way to control saving sessions

login123

#39 Post by login123 »

Hi, Moat. Thanks for that reminder. I saw that post by Bruce B but just forgot it. Will try it within a day or two.
But, I would much appreciate if you explain what it means to:
1. Write the file "/etc/.XLOADED with the data false with no line end"
2. "set it as immutable".

Hi, mikeslr, thank you for the advice. Sorry for reviving an old post. I only recently found out for sure it still works with 528.05. I bumped it because a post here by bill says it may have become lost: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911

I haven't tried Shinobar's excellent PupsaveConfig-2.2.5 yet. If I knew for sure that it worked in 528 05 I would install it right away. I did try several of the suggestions earlier in this topic with no success, probably some mistake in my code.

It is not easy to dig out all the issues and solutions on this forum, but I am reading as fast as I can, and much appreciate the helpful attitudes of all the members. :)

mikeslr

(jpeps + shinobar)'s pets = No AutoSave on Lupu 5.28

#40 Post by mikeslr »

Hi login123

When this thread started, you were running 5.20 and 5.25. I still run 5.25 on a Dell Dimension 4600 which is attached to our only printer. I don't recall if, after finding jpeps's instructions, I tried to avoid AutoSave. I rarely print anything and the Dimension is only turned on when I do. So I may not have taken the time to attempt modification. In fact, I may have applied the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Dimension still runs 5.25 because setting up Cups is a PITA.

I can, however, confirm that the shinobar-jpeps combination does work on Lupu 5.28. While i explore many Pups, mostly from a ZTSystems Quad Core, and drop some Pups as others are published, the original Lupu 5.28 has been on that computer now for at least 3 years. Lupu 5.28 is my "fall-back": (a) it just works; and (b) my impression is that webpages load faster and it can often pick up weak wireless signals when newer Pup's can't. The ZTSystem is 2 floors and about 150 feet from the router.

By now, I rarely have any reason to modify Lupu 5.28. But as I do put it to work at least 4 or 5 times a week, avoiding unwanted additions to its SaveFile was something worth obtaining. I am certain that before trying the jpeps-shinobar combination I backed up my SaveFile. And I distinctly recall that I initially only applied jpep's instructions and only thought of Shinobar's modified PupSaveConfig when I noticed it was still Saving at shutdown despite having applied the first 2 steps of jpep's instructions. [Shinobar's modification to PupSave is apparently the standard for newer Pups. So I hadn't realized jpep's instructions went beyond the second step].

At any rate, the information in my prior post is based on my experience on my system. I do recommend, however, that before trying it you back up your SaveFile. I have no idea how the other changes I've made over the last 3 years on my system may have differed from your own.

mikesLr

login123

#41 Post by login123 »

Thanks for the confirmation.
I'll back up the save file and install Shinobar's pet.
Are you using the latest, 2.2.6?

First, though, might try that code change that Moat pointed out, just to see what happens.

Right now Puppy 528 05 is on a 2 gb USB stick, for experimenting, so I want to control rewrites and changes.

It will be eventually used in a multiboot setup on a laptop.
Probably will not need it to print anything even on the laptop.

Thanks again.

mikeslr

pupsaveconfig-2.2.5.pet is the one I used

#42 Post by mikeslr »

Hi login123,

pupsaveconfig-2.2.5.pet is the one I'm using. Available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8bd#457081

mikesLr

Sky Aisling

#43 Post by Sky Aisling »

I realize this is an old thread, but, it's so close to my question that I'll take a chance and ask my question.

I am running my main machine with flash drive Puppies (the machine's HDDs went south last week). A save file icon appears on the desktop and stays for the remainder of the session unless I manually 'remove the item'.

Is there a way to have the save file icon automatically go away after the OS boots?

The two puppies I'm using via flash drives are Dpup Stretch and Bionic Upupbb frugal installed.

Thank you in advance for your response,

Sky

mikeslr

#44 Post by mikeslr »

I'm not certain and I don't want to test the following because I want the Save Icon on my desktop.*

But, I think this will get rid of it. Open your file-manager to /root. You'll see a folder named Desktop. Within it is a file named "Save2flash.desktop". Delete it. Remove the desktop launcher. Open a terminal and type --without the quotes-- save2flash. Restart-x. [A reboot may be needed].

-0-0-0-0-0
* My preference is to create an icon which goes along with my Wallpaper. The "save" text can be eliminated. But than I'd have to remember the launcher was the launcher. FYI, with the exception of the added launcher, the wallpaper looks like this: https://www.classic-collection.co.uk/ho ... d-holidays
Attachments
koi-icon.png
Koi-save2flash launcher. Screenshot is only of lower right-region as Wallpaper was 4x larger than permitted by Forum.
(247.85 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

Sky Aisling

#45 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thanks, mikesir for your quick answer.
I'm not certain and I don't want to test the following because I want the Save Icon on my desktop.*

But, I think this will get rid of it. Open your file-manager to /root. You'll see a folder named Desktop. Within it is a file named "Save2flash.desktop". Delete it. Remove the desktop launcher. Open a terminal and type --without the quotes-- save2flash. Restart-x. [A reboot may be needed].
Why do you want the icon on the desktop?
Clever idea about making the icon blend with the wallpaper.
Maybe the icon could be placed to a corner of the screen rather than smack-a-bucket in the middle of the screen?
I want the savefile to work. I find the icon annoying on the desktop screen. I'll go take a look at "savetoflash.desktop". When you say 'Remove the desktop launcher', do you mean the savefile icon?
Thanks again,
Sky
Whoa! the image of that beautiful place just came through. What a gorgeous location. How did they build that castle so high up on such a narrow rock? Such peaceful beauty.

Sky Aisling

#46 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Mikeslr,

I got it to stick in the upper right corner of the desktop.
I can live with that. :lol:

Thank you for the instructions. I learned a lot from tinkering with your suggestion.

Sky

mikeslr

#47 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Sky Aisling,

"When you say 'Remove the desktop launcher', do you mean the savefile icon?" Yes. But an icon is just a graphic. The reason that clicking a "desktop icon" does anything is that an icon has been used to decorate a launcher.

One of the unfortunate --and as yet not completely internalized-- consequences of covid19 is the effect it will have on tourism. A couple of years ago my wife and I took a bus tour thru the Balkans. Lake Bled, Slovenia, was one of the over-night stops. We took the boat trip to the dock on the other side. There may have been a funicular up to the castle. At any rate, we wandered around the castle. IIRC, there was a road on the other side of the mountain leading to the castle.

Returning to the Balkans was one of the things on our to-do list.

Sky Aisling

#48 Post by Sky Aisling »

mikeslr,
What a beautiful place, so serene feeling.
Yes, that little blue orb with it's bouquet of red roses is certainly shaking up things. I saved for years to buy a reliable car for a trip on my 80th birthday. I got the car the week before my birthday March 21, 2020. Need I say more? Everything was cancelled that following day. So far I have put 60+ miles on the car over the last 2 months. lol. How many weeks per gallon does your buggy get?

Hopefully, you will be able to find a way back to that beautiful place sometime in the near distant future.

Take Care, mikeslr,
Sky

PS- using your suggestion about deleting the code... I tried replacing the save.svg with a icon 'invisible96x8.png'. It worked in replacing the save.svg to a transparent icon but the word 'save' remained in it's place and the actual savefile app would only activate by clicking on the the word 'save'. Fortunately the original savefile icon is sticking in the corner. In the past, when I've rebooted the icon pops back to it original place in the center of the desktop. But, not this time. Got lucky, I guess. :D