How long lasts an installed Puppi on hdd or pendrive?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
navegante

How long lasts an installed Puppi on hdd or pendrive?

#1 Post by navegante »

In my case using it heavy with luck a few days. Normal case are a few hours to a day.

Please don't misunderstand me, I use Puppi everyday for rescue and tasks. I like it very much but it seems I have bad luck installing it to a computer.
Sometimes I suspect it could have something to do with beeing all the time root-user but I really don't know.

James C

#2 Post by James C »

I'm still running some Puppy installs for more than a year. I'm still running a Puppy 4.20 install that I did the day it was released. :)
Don't know what your problem is, but Puppy running as root isn't it.

postfs1

#3 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 00:10, edited 3 times in total.

puppyluvr

#4 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I have a full hdd install of my Icepup 3.01 on a P2 333mhz compaq with 128mb ram and 256mb swap...It is a kids machine, and has had various children playing a plethora of games on it, connected to the net via wireless, watched movies off AVI cd`s, all running as root...
Since 2008....

My main desktop, a P3 600 384mb ram, ran Buddapup, with E-16 for 2 years, then PAW for another, and now runs Lupu 5.11 with E-16...Very stable thru power failures, children who like buttons, etc...This along with a dozen or so other frugal installs and XP too... :roll:
Do partition ext3 if you can, you will be glad you did...
Frugal install is best IMHO, but both have good and bad...
The only full install I have is the P2, but it is @ >3 yrs and running....
In all fairness, 3.01 was T2 based and VERY stable....
At least for me....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

rokytnji

#5 Post by rokytnji »

Been running Macpup, Puppeee, and MyWolfe on Pendrives and SD cards on my Netbooks pretty heavy. Some of my installs are over a year old.

If one messes up. I do a disk check using gparted since one problem can be over writes that fill pendrive up from improper shutdowns or improper unmounts. Doing a check in gparted on unmounted pendrive fixes this. If one looks at the unmounted pen drive in gparted. You will see the whole drive filled with data Just run a check (right click unmount, right click check).

After it is finished and refreshed. You will see that data wrote on partition has shrunk which means you fixed it. I have fixed my Macpup and Pupeee pendrives doing this method. MyWolfe I have just made and have not had this problem yet with it. But if it happens I already
know how to fix this. So no biggy. These are all frugal pendrive installs with backup personal save files on internal hardrives on my netbooks if save file becomes borked or corrupted with my experimentation.

navegante

#6 Post by navegante »

Thank you for your answers. I really love Puppy, specially those made by Barry himself, I find they have a special care, maybe more experience set in. I made my first steps 1 1/2 year ago in Linux with Puppi and as I told above I use it everyday . Every obsolete working and nearly working computer any custumer gives me I give it to others who needs one. Last time I tried to save an old Toshiba laptop, Celeron M, 256mb ram, hdd dead, cdrom very noisy, one line of dead pixels on the right side of the screen. Quirky on pendrive worked well, I could not install it through the usb installer, used the Puppi universal installer and after a few hours it went corrupt.
For hdd's I prefere a full install for performance, with pendrives I use the usb installer that comes with Puppi if possible. Maybe that's the problem. Should I use frugal install for stability?
Last edited by navegante on Tue 08 Mar 2011, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

racepres

#7 Post by racepres »

I suspect that Frugal install is perhaps more stable. I use it for the back-up, ability, and I can change machines easily, yet take my "stuff" with me!!
RP
Also It may be the easiest to "install"!

rokytnji

#8 Post by rokytnji »

. Should I use frugal install for stability?
Arguments go both ways for this question. Officially though

http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20NOT%20 ... 0Puppy.htm

I for one (being a independent biker) say let the user decide.

:lol: For whatever reason. Post did not take.