xonar and 5.2

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
donarntz

xonar and 5.2

#1 Post by donarntz »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and puppy linux. Is there still no support for xonar in puppy linux? I've yet to make the sound card work. In ALSA, it shows the card. Actually in ALSA it shows several copies of the same card?

Don

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

donarntz wrote:In ALSA, it shows the card.
I presume you mean the ALSA Wizard. Then clearly, Puppy (and alsaconf) is detecting your card, and loading the correct ALSA driver.
donarntz wrote:Is there still no support for xonar in puppy linux?
Just because a device doesn't work straight away in (Puppy) Linux, doesn't mean it's not supported. Like many things in Linux, you may need to make a bit of effort.
You should open a console, and run the "alsamixer" command. Make sure your "Master" and "PCM" channels are raised, and they are unmuted. At the bottom of each channel is a box. If it says "MM" then the channel is muted. If it says "00" the channel is enabled. Press the "m" key to mute/unmute.

GustavoYz

#3 Post by GustavoYz »

You could also check it with the 'Full Window' of retrovol (the app with a speaker icon in your tray).
PCM and Master volume boxes, as Tempestous said, must be ticked.
See the caps...
Attachments
retrovol2.jpg
(21.09 KiB) Downloaded 1006 times
retrovol.jpg
(5.85 KiB) Downloaded 947 times

donarntz

#4 Post by donarntz »

Thanks for the tips! I'll give puppy linux another try.

-Don

donarntz

there still might be a problem

#5 Post by donarntz »

Well actually, I think the problem is that the sound card is showing up in alsaconf but not in the alsa mixer? Also, why is there multiple copies of the soundcard showing up in alsaconf?