(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 28 Oct 2020, 02:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
bootcode to force pup to recognize savefile? *SOLVED*
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
`f00

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb 2011, 08:35    Post subject:  bootcode to force pup to recognize savefile? *SOLVED*
Subject description: goto tail, chase

boot with liveCD disc, savefile on usb-stick

Have noticed this on other pups, but sometimes a pup won't recognize a savefile and instead starts with the primary sfs - seems like it doesn't look hard enough or (who knows what, it could be many reasons). Especially daunting if it happens after an initial run - everything looks good, as far as I can tell. I even did a second savefile so it'd be sure to ask me which one.

I tried a few of the bootcodes in the list
puppy acpi=off
puppy pfix=fsck
puppy pfix=nox
puppy loglevel=5
.. but it just goes to setup over and over again after a fairly short "Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives..." and then loading the primary sfs ( Rolling Eyes aw geez, setup again?)

I would go for my usual multisession liveCD, but this pup looks promising enough that a savefile and etc on usb stick could be the start of a good thing. The hwr is older (no usb-boot), so I have to fudge a bit and use a disc - have done frugals on hdd, but generally I like the save/nosave choice that disc multisession or bootdisc/usb offers.

Things I may be doing wrong? Besides breathing and fascination with pups, I copied the initrd.gz, primary sfs and vmlinuz to the stick from the liveCD (renaming those copies to invalid filenames doesn't help, and it went directly to the main sfs even after I let it do the sfs copy during the reboot sequence after making another small savefile). The liveCD was burned multisession (nope, a normal-burn still goes to setup but for a moment I had hope). Maybe this is one of those odd pups that needs the savefile to take up the whole partition? (don't partition smallish sticks as it starts to get confusing for me, not that there's all that far to go)

Although p412, PULP-03 is the current pup this happens with (now at three savefiles but they're reasonably small), the going directly to main sfs happens on a few other bootdisc/usb frugals occasionally Neutral (but 'groundhog day' going thru setup repeatedly on an initial/nextboot isn't so bad if there's a simple fast Xvesa option)

@tail - nevermind reply (unless you wish). I found this and shinobar's work has had excellent success rate with me.

Last edited by `f00 on Mon 14 Feb 2011, 13:02; edited 1 time in total
`f00

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb 2011, 13:00    Post subject:
Subject description: your wish is my command

don't forget to remember..

Code:

puppy pmedia=usbflash

.. and have a nice day Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: