Puppy Lucid 5.2 no modem detection

Please post any bugs you have found
rerwin

#16 Post by rerwin »

Diamond,
I am the "modem guy". I can help if I have so specifics to work with. Generally speaking, Lucent modem support is included in the wary series (which still might work with your newer hardware) and in the lupuplus and luppluslibre 528 distros. Many modem drivers are now in precise pup, but the lucent driver is not among them.

One determining factor in whether that driver is present is the linux kernel version used in a pup. The lucent driver has not kept up with the kernel used in precise (k3.2.29). Actually, there is no indication that the driver is supported for kernels 3.x, so you are limited to puppies that use the 2.6.x kernels.

My recommendation for the long term is to obtain an inexpensive USB modem. I have a Rosewill RNX-56USB ($20) that should be supported for a long time. I base that on the fact that its basic driver is included with the kernel. Mine even works on fatdog64. With that driver (cdc_acm) the modem works but does not produce modem sounds. There is a linuxant driver, dgcmodem, that provides the sound. I expect to be providing versions of that driver for puppy distros that want it. It is kernel-specific, so it may not be available early on in a new distro.
Richard

Diamond

#17 Post by Diamond »

Well friend,that is the problem.
I can't use Wary,because I have new hardware.
For years my modem don't work with Puppy. :(
I thought I don't have to buy a new modem...
Thanks for your effort,anyway.
Cheers!