Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 00:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
SFS-Exec
Page 5 of 11 [163 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 11:01    Post subject:  

New report from latest Quirky that is kind of experimental if I get Barry. Okay all of them with that name are such.

Anyway. To my surprise but maybe Seaside warned about it and me poor reader of any text.

If it already have a .mozilla and Qrky has SeaMonkey then SFS-Exec Dir refuse to start Firefox. It says that it has loaded it but nothing show up.

And then when I use the unloader then that one says it is loaded.

How does one get FF going if the Seamonkey is the default browser.

Opera loaded as usual.

I tested to have symlink to another .mozilla outside pupsave but that did not get FF going either.

kind of odd. But using right click did not shut it down.

seaside

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 11:57    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:

My result. I created a folder in mnt/home and did a reboot and it survived.
I made a new folder and rebooted and that one survived too.
/mnt/home is not the pupsave file. So, files written here will survive

I also did the which snapmergepuppy and that gave only the hash sign.
Snowpup5 is Lupu513 so most likely it would also act that way on all the puppies that are based on Lupu511.
I think you've found something here, because these problems seem to come up with pups above 510

I also made a more keen test of my problem with shut down to prompt.
1. Survive if one do Terminal and also
2. if one do Menu > Filesystem > Filemanagers > SFS-Exec-Dir but
3. But if one do right click on desktop and then filesystems > Filemanagers > SFS-Exec-Dir that gives an instant shut down to prompt.

????????? Smile

So that would be needed to get dealt with unless numerous newbies get totally lost with a prompt and wild guess what to write xwin is not that intuitive to write if one are new but usually the text says so though Smile

Nope sfs-exec-dir should not allow changes without one hit save button. That is no good! But if there is no way to protect it at least we should set the save time to zero or nil or 0 and that way it would not save a lot of things?

I agree

which snapmergepuppy
what was that suppose to give in normal circumstances?
If SFS-Exec-Pupsave is installed, then only the # will be returned

Cheers,
s
seaside

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 12:05    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Seaside! Jasper take up something that I also have wondered about.

Quote:

I have never unloaded (or attempted to unload) either of the two standard type files which are listed at the top of the Unloader window.

Could that explain why the files got saved?

But logically don't sfs-exec need them loaded? when one tell it to save to pupsave using the savebutton and before it shut down then it need to access these files that is loaded during boot why would you load them if the SFS-Exec did not need them?

Yes, those two files listed at the top are the main sfs file and the pupsave file and cannot be unloaded.

Cheers,
s
seaside

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 12:31    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
New report from latest Quirky that is kind of experimental if I get Barry. Okay all of them with that name are such.

Anyway. To my surprise but maybe Seaside warned about it and me poor reader of any text.

If it already have a .mozilla and Qrky has SeaMonkey then SFS-Exec Dir refuse to start Firefox. It says that it has loaded it but nothing show up.

Opera loaded as usual.

I tested to have symlink to another .mozilla outside pupsave but that did not get FF going either.

Nooby,

Did you delete the current /root/.mozilla directory and then link your other firefox .mozilla directory back to /root/.mozilla before starting firefox?

Cheers,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 12:41    Post subject:  

Thanks.

Ah so that is what you say. Clever. Now I get what you say. Hehe I am dense
One need to test it in another way. What we did should get saved because mnt/home are outside teh pupsave.

We have to do a test that only should go into pupsave.
Change of background on desktop?
Doing a PPM thing? installing some app and then when one reboot it should not be there?

nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 12:48    Post subject:  

Ooops sorry not described the important steps.

Well I renamed the current .mozilla to .mozillaold and then dragged the one I had on HDD to root and made an absolute symlink and when I tested to start firefox 3.6.sfs that one failed to show up so I unloaded it and tested with 4.07 and that one did not start up either so I unloaded it and deleted the symlink and renamed the old back to original name and restarted x and tested Seamoneky and that one failed to load too despite me ahd used it prior to the test.

old text in post

seaside wrote:
nooby wrote:

Opera loaded as usual.

Nooby,

Did you delete the current /root/.mozilla directory and then link your other firefox .mozilla directory back to /root/.mozilla before starting firefox?

Cheers,
s

seaside

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 12:55    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Thanks.

Ah so that is what you say. Clever. Now I get what you say. Hehe I am dense
One need to test it in another way. What we did should get saved because mnt/home are outside teh pupsave.

We have to do a test that only should go into pupsave.
Change of background on desktop?
Doing a PPM thing? installing some app and then when one reboot it should not be there?

Nooby,

Yes to all.

Cheers,
s
seaside

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 13:14    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Ooops sorry not described the important steps.

Well I renamed the current .mozilla to .mozillaold and then dragged the one I had on HDD to root and made an absolute symlink and when I tested to start firefox 3.6.sfs that one failed to show up so I unloaded it and tested with 4.07 and that one did not start up either so I unloaded it and deleted the symlink and renamed the old back to original name and restarted x and tested Seamoneky and that one failed to load too despite me ahd used it prior to the test.

Nooby,

Normally that should have worked.

Cheers,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2011, 14:22    Post subject:  

Sad news. I hope I did it right. It remember things it should not?

1. I tested to change the background picture. First I changed it from one to another and used your save button and that saved it so it was there after reboot as it should be and

2. then I changed it again but rebooted without using your save button. It still remembered the new one instead of forgetting like it should.

So something the Lupu or Woof do make it remember even after your changes of the scripts.
---
Re failing to get FF going I made a mistake, it seems that I have mixed up FF3.6.16 and 4.0 and that seems not to work well. It did remember my personal startpage and my bookmarks but not my passwords. No big deal.

So that may explain ithe .mozilla thing. I use sfs-exec.dir in this one too and it also shut down to prompt if one did what I described but survive and work well if one go the way you described. One can only put a symlink on the dektop with the sfs files and click on them

I most likely go to bed now Smile

Jasper

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 05:19    Post subject:  

Hi again seaside,

So that I may save at any time (without an enforced poweroff) I have added a # sign at the start of the last line of your "Save-pup" file as shown:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# used with SFS-exec to enable pupsave

mv /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppyHOLD /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
#exec wmpoweroff

My regards

Hopefully you will not see a problem with this and perhaps you can even suggest a further addition which would advise me when the save is completed?

This program is blisteringly fast loading sfs files, but (as you have already explained) it does not do a full set of checks. When I was experimenting and taking some deliberately foolish steps just to see what would happen I had some screen lock-ups that even "xkill" would not fix; but every time when I went to "Menu > Shutdown > Restart x server" all was well again.

I believe (though I would appreciate your comment) that it also means that I can now make a "current" backup copy of my save file (using copy and paste to anywhere at any time) without any fear that any such backup may be corrupt.

Addendum

Your work seems to have even wider possibilities:

In my Lupu 5.25 it is still possible to use the save pet and save icon (after uninstalling your fast sfs load/unload pet) and to also use a timed automatic save setting via the Event Manager if desired.
------------------------
What might be done with other Puppy versions will depend upon the outcome your research into the "save" query.
seaside

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:17    Post subject:  

Jasper wrote:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# used with SFS-exec to enable pupsave

#exec wmpoweroff

Jasper: That was a definitely logical thought, but it wouldn't work. Here's some code that should probably work. Please try it and let me know.
Code:

#!/bin/sh
# used with SFS-exec to enable pupsave without poweroff

/usr/sbin/save2flash
mv /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppyHOLD

I believe (though I would appreciate your comment) that it also means that I can now make a "current" backup copy of my save file (using copy and paste to anywhere at any time) without any fear that any such backup may be corrupt.
Probably

Great that you keep testing and experimenting on the "5" series, because I have been using SFS-Exec for over a month on pup431 and have had no problems.

Regards,
s
Jasper

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:29    Post subject:  

Hi seaside,

I save to my hard drive (not a usb flash drive in case that is what your new code is meant for) and, after testing, I'm 99 % confident (though worried by your expert comment) that the simple "#" addition works.

My regards
seaside

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:47    Post subject:  

Jasper,

Don't be concerned about the name because it was created to be used for flash drives, but basically it initiates the "save" procedure. Please do try it.

Unfortunately, just enabling the "snapmergepuppy" does not actually run it, so nothing will happen if you "#exec "wmpoweroff .

Cheers,
s
nooby

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 12:37    Post subject:  

one thing that worries me is that if one have a pupsavefile and then install SFS-Exec and SFS-Exec-Pupsave and then forget to use the SFS-Exec-Unloader on FF then it seems the Ext3 pupsave file get corrupt but usually pfix=fsck does repair it but it has happen that it did not on first try and I had to reboot again and that time it fixed it and everything look normal again .

So I should do a backup of the savefile and place it in a safe spot Smile

Apart from that I really love what you gave us. No craving or to put demands on you but if you suddenly feel for it it would be cool to have what you describe first that it doesn't save changes even if one reboot normally? That would be a cool thing indeed.

Suppose one install something that does not work. What a relief to just reboot the normal way and all is as it should be the faulty thing not there.

Jasper

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2011, 12:41    Post subject:  

Hi seaside,

Your code works, but

I get a yellow box with a message:
----
"Request to save the current session is queued. Please
wait and a message will pop up when the saving occurs."
----
A couple of times I have waited 10 minutes and more with no change to the message. However, if I move my cursor over the message it disappears immediately.

My regards

Perhaps (on Lupu) you might try the # sign (because I use the power-off button on my Tower - which I have to because the reboot which is not supposed to save - would otherwise save whatever code was used in the save file).
Page 5 of 11 [163 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: