SFS-Exec

Miscellaneous tools
seaside

#46 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote: But when one use Firefox or some other broswer do they really remember settings and such.

Perhaps better to have the ".mozilla" directory linked somewhere outside of the pupsave file.
Nooby, have a great weekend,
s

nooby

#47 Post by nooby »

Very good advice. I will test this.

I noticed one thing when I experimented with your approach on SnowPuppy 5 which is based on lupu513 as I remember.

I had by accident made a too big savefile on Snowpup5 and when I added your program after months of using it then it shut me down to prompt and I had to xwin to get back to desktop screen.

But if I did a roundabout and instead of going to menu and then sfs-exec load instead I use Rox and go to the sfslists directory on mnt(home and there right click and chose browser opera.sfs then it survive

So I should restart with pfix=ram and place the .mozilla on the mnt/home or sda or whatever that works. and make a less big pupsavefile.

I did also test it in Fluppy which most likely is based on Puppy430 not sure.

But I failed to use Lupu 525 but maybe I did somethign wrong and should test it again.

Anyway. I hope you teach the other devs about this feature so it can be incorporated in the official Lupu or some other official Puppy because as a newbie I would have loved to get these from scratch and not to wait two years for them to emerge. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

seaside

#48 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote: So I should restart with pfix=ram and place the .mozilla on the mnt/home or sda or whatever that works. and make a less big pupsavefile.

You can't use "pfix=ram" because any changes you make will not be saved to the pupsave file.

Usually you move the /root/.mozilla directory to the /mn/home or sda, and then make a link back to /root/.mozilla. In order for the new link of /root/.mozilla to survive, it has to be saved to the pupsave file.

Cheers,
s

nooby

#49 Post by nooby »

good new first and later the bad new. :)

1. Good news
Yes that works very well with the sfs for FF4.07 that I have an sfs for.

I did as you suggested and that way when I loaded FF.sfs using your sfs-exec then it took the private settings from the .mozilla that I symlinked to.

I have not tested if it save the new bookmarks to that mnt/home .mozilla but that is likely.

Anyway I am in Spup-100 a brand new and have only installed the sfs.exec and not done the pupsave yet and writing using the FF now and it just worked.

2. Bad news.

Snowpup5 is a lupu513 that Pemasu has remastered using a lot of codes from Jemimah on RFKILL and other such that makes it very good for Netbooks too. Snowpup is my main OS now.

But your sfs-exec shut down X and one get to the prompt and have to xwin in again. But it works if one only start the sfs up using right click using roxfiler.

I started totally fresh with snowpup iso and did everything right and it still shut it down. Have not tested on lupu525 yet which Snow15 make use of.
Will test Lupu525Lite first.

seaside

#50 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote: But your sfs-exec shut down X and one get to the prompt and have to xwin in again. But it works if one only start the sfs up using right click using roxfiler.
Nooby,

That is indeed strange because I can't imagine what would be different about Snowpup or Lupu513. Can you give me the detailed steps of exactly when this happens.

Cheers,
s

nooby

#51 Post by nooby »

I try!

I go Menu > Files > SFS-Exec-Dir and then at that moment it shut me down to Prompt and I do xwin and it start up but the only way to get sfs-exec working is to instead go to Rox and then go to the Dir with sfs files and do right click and that works without problem.

Background

I start with a fresh .iso and I used Snowpup5 the one with the lupu_513.sfs and the reason is that it seems to work better with Flashplayer Snow15 is too modern so it treat flash in another way.

but back to what I did. I boot and change all the personal settings I need.
Then I tried both your approach to install sfs-exec and the sfs-exec-pupsave but have also only tested to use sfs-exec-pupsave after the pupsave has already been made and then save it again.

This work with Fluppy and Lighthouse which as far as I know are based on Puppy 431 and Lupu 525 Lite worked too without get shutting down.

seaside

#52 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:
I go Menu > Files > SFS-Exec-Dir and then at that moment it shut me down to Prompt and I do xwin and it start up but the only way to get sfs-exec working is to instead go to Rox and then go to the Dir with sfs files and do right click and that works without problem.
Nooby,

How strange......

What happens if you open a terminal and type "SFS-Exec-Dir" and if that works - try "SFS-Exec-Dir /name/of/your/dir-of-sfsfiles"?

Ahhh. so many puppies in the litter now........ :?

Regards,
s

Jasper

#53 Post by Jasper »

Hi again seaside,

As I said earlier, your program is super fast and most effective with my frugal hard drive installation of Lucid Puppy 5.25.

However,

(a) When I use the new Save-pup icon on my desktop it works but also performs a power off.

(b) If, on the other hand, instead of using the save icon I make say, a new folder in my /root directory and then use Menu > Shutdown > Reboot computer the new folder is in /root after the reboot.

Although everything works superbly I am (probably foolishly) mildly surprised that (a) powers off - as well as saves, but I am quite surprised that (b) seems to continue to work exactly as it always did.

My surprise is unimportant if the results are as you would expect.

My regards

seaside

#54 Post by seaside »

Jasper wrote:
(a) When I use the new Save-pup icon on my desktop it works but also performs a power off.

Yes, that's as designed

(b) If, on the other hand, instead of using the save icon I make say, a new folder in my /root directory and then use Menu > Shutdown > Reboot computer the new folder is in /root after the reboot.

That should not have happened. Can you create a new file, open a terminal and type "which snapmergepuppy" and then see if it returns a path. If it does not, then do a Menu>Shutdown>Reboot and see if that newly created file appears.
Regards,
s

Jasper

#55 Post by Jasper »

Hi seaside,

Thank you for your reply and in response:

First I made a new folder in /root named aaseasidetest and then subsequently (after rebooting) a new file named zzzseasidetest.

I copied and pasted your command and both times got only the hash "#".

I rebooted from the Menu and both the new folder and the new file appear in root after completion of the rebooting.

My regards

PS I actually like it this way, but this is not really the point.

seaside

#56 Post by seaside »

Jasper wrote:Hi seaside,

Thank you for your reply and in response:

First I made a new folder in /root named aaseasidetest and then subsequently (after rebooting) a new file named zzzseasidetest.

I copied and pasted your command and both times got only the hash "#".

I rebooted from the Menu and both the new folder and the new file appear in root after completion of the rebooting.

My regards

PS I actually like it this way, but this is not really the point.
Jasper,

Thanks for running that test. This is a total puzzle because the normal merging program was disabled.

When I have a moment, I'll download 525 and see if I can learn what could be happening.

Regards,
s
(Perhaps I shouldn't look too hard since it seems you would prefer the current situation :) )

nooby

#57 Post by nooby »

Seaside wrote quote
Perhaps I shouldn't look too hard since it seems you would prefer the current situation /quote

whoah Nope that is not good! it should not save that way :)

My result. I created a folder in mnt/home and did a reboot and it survived.
I made a new folder and rebooted and that one survived too.

I also did the which snapmergepuppy and that gave only the hash sign.
Snowpup5 is Lupu513 so most likely it would also act that way on all the puppies that are based on Lupu511.

I also made a more keen test of my problem with shut down to prompt.
1. Survive if one do Terminal and also
2. if one do Menu > Filesystem > Filemanagers > SFS-Exec-Dir but
3. But if one do right click on desktop and then filesystems > Filemanagers > SFS-Exec-Dir that gives an instant shut down to prompt.

So that would be needed to get dealt with unless numerous newbies get totally lost with a prompt and wild guess what to write xwin is not that intuitive to write if one are new but usually the text says so though :)

Nope sfs-exec-dir should not allow changes without one hit save button. That is no good! But if there is no way to protect it at least we should set the save time to zero or nil or 0 and that way it would not save a lot of things?

which snapmergepuppy
what was that suppose to give in normal circumstances?

nooby

#58 Post by nooby »

Seaside I need your help.

I saw a warning when I rebooted. It says that I have errors in the ext3 pupsavef file.
I go out in prompt to see what they say again.

I am back from a new test and it seems it is when I do the right click on screen and it shut down to prompt that it corrupt the pupsavefile most likely so I will not do that again. Not in this my best Puppy :)

Jasper

#59 Post by Jasper »

Hi seaside,

There is no rush with my query and here is a screenshot in case it may help to explain what I did:

Frugal hard drive installation of Lucid Puppy 5.25..

My regards

I loaded the sfs files by right clicking on each of the four sfs files then clicking SFS-Exec.

The clock is the Wine clock after loading the Wine sfs.

I have never unloaded (or attempted to unload) either of the two standard type files which are listed at the top of the Unloader window.

nooby

#60 Post by nooby »

Seaside! Jasper take up something that I also have wondered about.

I have never unloaded (or attempted to unload) either of the two standard type files which are listed at the top of the Unloader window.
Could that explain why the files got saved?

But logically don't sfs-exec need them loaded? when one tell it to save to pupsave using the savebutton and before it shut down then it need to access these files that is loaded during boot why would you load them if the SFS-Exec did not need them?

nooby

#61 Post by nooby »

New report from latest Quirky that is kind of experimental if I get Barry. Okay all of them with that name are such.

Anyway. To my surprise but maybe Seaside warned about it and me poor reader of any text.

If it already have a .mozilla and Qrky has SeaMonkey then SFS-Exec Dir refuse to start Firefox. It says that it has loaded it but nothing show up.

And then when I use the unloader then that one says it is loaded.

How does one get FF going if the Seamonkey is the default browser.

Opera loaded as usual.

I tested to have symlink to another .mozilla outside pupsave but that did not get FF going either.

kind of odd. But using right click did not shut it down.

seaside

#62 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:
My result. I created a folder in mnt/home and did a reboot and it survived.
I made a new folder and rebooted and that one survived too.
/mnt/home is not the pupsave file. So, files written here will survive

I also did the which snapmergepuppy and that gave only the hash sign.
Snowpup5 is Lupu513 so most likely it would also act that way on all the puppies that are based on Lupu511.
I think you've found something here, because these problems seem to come up with pups above 510

I also made a more keen test of my problem with shut down to prompt.
1. Survive if one do Terminal and also
2. if one do Menu > Filesystem > Filemanagers > SFS-Exec-Dir but
3. But if one do right click on desktop and then filesystems > Filemanagers > SFS-Exec-Dir that gives an instant shut down to prompt.

????????? :)

So that would be needed to get dealt with unless numerous newbies get totally lost with a prompt and wild guess what to write xwin is not that intuitive to write if one are new but usually the text says so though :)

Nope sfs-exec-dir should not allow changes without one hit save button. That is no good! But if there is no way to protect it at least we should set the save time to zero or nil or 0 and that way it would not save a lot of things?

I agree

which snapmergepuppy
what was that suppose to give in normal circumstances?
If SFS-Exec-Pupsave is installed, then only the # will be returned
Cheers,
s

seaside

#63 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:Seaside! Jasper take up something that I also have wondered about.

Could that explain why the files got saved?

But logically don't sfs-exec need them loaded? when one tell it to save to pupsave using the savebutton and before it shut down then it need to access these files that is loaded during boot why would you load them if the SFS-Exec did not need them?
Yes, those two files listed at the top are the main sfs file and the pupsave file and cannot be unloaded.

Cheers,
s

seaside

#64 Post by seaside »

nooby wrote:New report from latest Quirky that is kind of experimental if I get Barry. Okay all of them with that name are such.

Anyway. To my surprise but maybe Seaside warned about it and me poor reader of any text.

If it already have a .mozilla and Qrky has SeaMonkey then SFS-Exec Dir refuse to start Firefox. It says that it has loaded it but nothing show up.

And then when I use the unloader then that one says it is loaded.

How does one get FF going if the Seamonkey is the default browser.

Opera loaded as usual.

I tested to have symlink to another .mozilla outside pupsave but that did not get FF going either.

kind of odd. But using right click did not shut it down.
Nooby,

Did you delete the current /root/.mozilla directory and then link your other firefox .mozilla directory back to /root/.mozilla before starting firefox?

Cheers,
s

nooby

#65 Post by nooby »

Thanks.

Ah so that is what you say. Clever. Now I get what you say. Hehe I am dense
One need to test it in another way. What we did should get saved because mnt/home are outside teh pupsave.

We have to do a test that only should go into pupsave.
Change of background on desktop?
Doing a PPM thing? installing some app and then when one reboot it should not be there?