Speeding up the SnapMerge

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
InTheDogHouse

rsync options in SnapMerge

#91 Post by InTheDogHouse »

I have a 700MB save file in Puppy Precise 5.7.1, with the normal collection of small files, plus a 200 MB TrueCrypt container file (and yes, I am following replacement options for the now possibly insecure TrueCrypt).

Downloaded and installed snapmerge-19.pet, to see if it would speed up shutting down (and saving) Puppy.

Some improvement in save time, but not dramatic.

Googled rsync, discovered that when copying to/from a remote connection, rsync copies only the changed portions of files, dramatically speeding the copy process. BUT, when copying locally (as in saving Puppy session from ram to my save file) rsync defaults to copying everything, not just changed portions of files. So slightest change in my 200 MB TrueCrypt volume (file) causes a 200 MB copy!

So I modified snapmerge's rsync to have the additional parameter '--no-whole-file'. This tells rsync to only copy changed portions of files, always, on local system copies, as well as being the default on remote copies.

The result of '--no-whole-file' is amazing, cutting my save time in half, or even less if file changes during my session have been minimal!

My question: Is this '--no-whole-file' modification a great idea, or will there be unanticipated consequences that will make me wish I had never made this change???

amigo

#92 Post by amigo »

I'd be concerned about data corruption if this snap-thing crashes or gets interrupted in the middle of it's job.