431-KDE-Slax 02

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
TLM

Re: 431-kde-slax 02

#76 Post by TLM »

singlshot wrote:hi all

I couldn't find the md5 for 02 only 01 and it is good
It is late I'll burn the iso's tomorrow and try them , the video that
sneafy linux did looked good , I think it was v1.

singlshot
A lot of things on v1 will not work until you install rxvt from the package manager. Come to think of it, you cannot update the package manager in v1 because that operation requires rxvt. V1 had konsole and many puppy apps are coded to use rxvt. Pri included rxvt in v2, so i would not even bother with v1 if you have both isos. They are nearly identical, v2 just has bugs fixed. :D

singlshot

#77 Post by singlshot »

hi TLM

I could only find md5 for v1. I would kike to know what the md5 is for v2.
It doesn't matter to me as I am posting from v2 now . hp manager need to have a
printer to work I hope as nothing happens when clicked on . When I loaded this it
took me back to w98 and webshots . Will continue to play with it.

thanks
singlsot

mini-jaguar

#78 Post by mini-jaguar »

It seems to be:
b481e85f2fdfb915368f6bd281567e2e
can't be 100% sure, but it's not bugging so if you're getting the same md5 it should be correct.

There is apparently another KDE Puppy but based on 5.2.8, I haven't tried it though:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 40e09965cf
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 890a85b752

Another (older) KDE pup:

Eyes-Only

#79 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thanks mini-jaguar as that number/md5sum likewise agrees with the reading I just this moment got from my terminal upon doing an md5sum. So we either both got the exact same bad download - and the chances of that are very slim as our numbers wouldn't agree - or that's the proper md5sum for the .iso.

Again: Thanks! :) It's very greatly appreciated, especially since I plan on archiving the .iso to a DVD later on.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

oui

#80 Post by oui »

mini-jaguar wrote:It seems to be:
b481e85f2fdfb915368f6bd281567e2e
can't be 100% sure, but it's not bugging so if you're getting the same md5 it should be correct.

There is apparently another KDE Puppy but based on 5.2.8, I haven't tried it though:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 40e09965cf<-- German version
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 890a85b752<-- Spanish version

Another (older) KDE pup:
I use the Spanish version already all the time since her publication and it works fantastic (fast! in KDE mode... faster than Debian on the same PC!) but with the Gnome office generally used by Puppy.

I did test the KDE Office SFS package of the German issue, loaded on fly by SFS load.

It is a KDE 3.5.8 or higher and it works nice within the KDE 4 of the Spanish version :lol: but as it is a KDE 3.5.8 it is not the real expectation of an user looking for KDE office. and, if I right remember, I did miss Kopete in the Office package.

This is unfortunate because the KDE Office 4 seems to become very interesting as well as Kopete using all Skype, webcam, and the instant translator function, and as well as Rosegarden.

divers little troubles:

- Konqueror doesn't handle completely right with the fonds (especially within the Puppy forum :roll: !)
- Konqueror doesn't well use the Mozilla plugins or Java or both
- the menu is so that 80 % of the programs appear in the categorie «Lost and found» (it is not tragic as KDE offers 3 other methods: favorites, recently used and Computer > run command)
- dolphin always uses the trash and if you want to erase the copy of a file system for example, the trash is to smal (note: Rox doesn't start any more as directory and files manager but only parts of them used by other applications)

mini-jaguar

#81 Post by mini-jaguar »

If anyone is interested, I tried the Puppy in this thread on an eeePC 701 and while I didn't try all the features like internet for example, most of the games work really well in that they fit nicely on the small screen.

This is a very elegant Puppy, nicely done.

Tote

#82 Post by Tote »

It's a great shame some of these distros fall by the wayside, this one is a beauty, and it flies on my old M prossessor laptop.

Thanks for bumping this one. Playing happily now :D

Bligh

#83 Post by Bligh »

Hi, Thanks for this, I just discovered this thread. I just burned 4ks-02 to cd rw. Booted to desktop and played around a little. I used k3b to erase a cd rw. It looks great so far. Shutdown got me to a prompt. I had that issue with 4.3.1 on some computers. Just hit the power button.This is on a Samsung rv510 lt. I loved 4.3.1 so this is great.
Cheers

Edit: I used shutdown by right clicking on desktop, when I use shutdown on lower left menu it shuts down fine.
Last edited by Bligh on Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

8-bit

#84 Post by 8-bit »

Does one use the kernel source and devx files from Puppy 431 if wanting to compile?
IOW, does this iso use the same kernel as the original Puppy 431?
Also, I am assuming that one does not need to use a login screen or use sudo to get things done.
The version I currently use on my PC is puppy-4.3beta1-k2.6.25.16-v423-SCSI.iso. with the updates as it progressed added and also the shutdown fix.
That was a test version Barry made that got pulled for not being able to boot from a SCSI drive if I remember correctly.
It has been a while!

Whoa! It also could have been pup-431-scsi-intel-modems.iso

It seems I have both in my collection of ISO files on a 96 gig partition.

oligin10

Slax 02 version works!

#85 Post by oligin10 »

Hi guys, thanks for posting to this. Somehow I missed the updated version. Works very nice! Ran update to Firefox, added Deadbeef as BMP doesn't play .wma files. Really snappy on my 1.5g celeron m desktop with 1 gig of ram. Thanks, Rob

mini-jaguar

#86 Post by mini-jaguar »

I've been messing around with this a lot lately.

Anyone know how to set the run action of icons I added to the desktop? I can do this in JWM, but in KDE it's not the same.

Bligh

#87 Post by Bligh »

Is there any way to install a more current seamonkey?
Cheers

pri

new blog created

#88 Post by pri »

new blog created for old that disappear. http://www.harocafe.org/

mybe i will update for new hardware, but i think this is the best for old machine.

thks for still like my pupplet.
Learning by Doing

Bligh

#89 Post by Bligh »

Thanks for the reply and the link.
Cheers

Arefacti

Other .pet

#90 Post by Arefacti »

Great !
works fine !

is anybody know where I can get langpack-fr for this puppy and other .pet ?

Thanks for your job !

Sonic

#91 Post by Sonic »

This puppy isn't maintained ?

pri

#92 Post by pri »

Sonic wrote:This puppy isn't maintained ?
this pupplet is maintain only by me, and an other pupplet maintain by owner. look like i dont have a time and an other pc to work and continue fixing.

we here just only have a few offical puppy that maintain by group and look like this one is not official :D .

but i already build new one. based debian squeze and just ind out how to use xorg work ok. still can't decide using old slax or new one.
Learning by Doing

Sonic

#93 Post by Sonic »

Thanks pri,

I installed it and work fine. fast on my old compas presario 2100 528 ram.
I would like to know if you can talk to me where I can find more pet for this Puppy, for exemple french translate.

I wait for your next work :wink:

mini-jaguar

#94 Post by mini-jaguar »

You can use Puppy 4 / Puppy 4.3.1 .pets.

Also you can type in French, click the flag.

I don't know how to make the menus in French, but there is also Toutou 4.3.1 (but with a different look and programs).

pri

#95 Post by pri »

Sonic wrote:Thanks pri,

I installed it and work fine. fast on my old compas presario 2100 528 ram.
I would like to know if you can talk to me where I can find more pet for this Puppy, for exemple french translate.

I wait for your next work :wink:
1. glad to hear it work fine
2. since this is an old pupplet, it will be hard to find a pet for it. you can always try new pet and find missing libs to complete it.
3. since i am not speak and understand french and just type an english on a simple and bad. look like it will be hard to build a translate pet. but since this puplet using kde, look like you can find kde trinity debian based translate. but dont sure will be work on menu.
4. mybe soon i relese new one :D i am never update an alpha one.
Learning by Doing