Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Karl Godt

Re: Frisbee pet for wary / racy / precise

#91 Post by Karl Godt »

peebee wrote:
mavrothal wrote:peebee
the /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant symlink in version 2 points to /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant. However in Pecise the wpa_supplicant is in /sbin. Thus the pet fails. Correcting that works as advertised :wink:
Hi Mavrothal

Thanks for reporting that - strangely it works for me.

It maybe that I don't know how to include a symlink in a pet correctly - I wonder if there is a howto somewhere??

Cheers
peebee
This can only been done with a pinstall.sh script . read the /usr/local/petget scripts how they are used [ /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh ] . petget would run a pinstall.sh script after it had installed the pet . in this pinstall.sh script you can put something like

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
if test -x /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant ; then
ln -s /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant
elif test -x /sbin/wpa_supplicant ; then
ln -s /sbin/wpa_supplicant /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant
else xmessage -bg red "WARNING:wpa_supplicant bin or script not installed"
fi
and probably use VAR=`which wpa_supplicant` in case next Puppy has it in /usr/bin .

There is also a possibility for a puninstall.sh .
Unfortunately a pre-install.sh possibility is missing .

peebee

New Precise version

#92 Post by peebee »

Thanks Mavrothal & Karl Godt

I've amended the pinstall with your suggestion (there was already a ln command there) but more importantly I've removed the symlink that I had left in the /usr/local/sbin directory....

I've uploaded the new version.

Thanks for your help & feedback

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

KJ

Frisbee-tray and eth0 activity information

#93 Post by KJ »

I run frugal installs from USB/SD flashdrives and eth0 networking on this box. Carolina002 found eth0 OOTB. connected with Frisbee and runs great in the auto-DHCP mode. However, Frisbee-tray shows two white monitor that do not blink nor do stats show in the mouse over tool-tip box. Increasing the sleep time in startup/frisbee-tray has no effect. Saves and reboots have no effect. Frisbee works and displays properly in wifi mode and eth0 works and displays properly when set up thru the network wizard.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure that Frisbee-tray indicators have worked correctly with eth0 in Fluppy or other pups ... I usually run IceWM and use the built-in net monitor. Been trying XFCE and Open-box lately so it would be great if Frisbee-tray indicators worked with eth0. Thanks .... KJ

KJ

tray icons not working with eth0

#94 Post by KJ »

FYI ... Frisbee-tray icon does not indicate eth0 Tx and RX activity in Fluppy12 and 13, Saluki23, and Carolina002. Wlan connection indicator icons work correctly. Tested on an Acer aspire 5570Z and an EeePC 1005HA. Eth0 and Wlan connect and work great on both PC's. Thanks .... KJ

peebee

Re: tray icons not working with eth0

#95 Post by peebee »

KJ wrote:FYI ... Frisbee-tray icon does not indicate eth0 Tx and RX activity in Fluppy12 and 13, Saluki23, and Carolina002. Wlan connection indicator icons work correctly. Tested on an Acer aspire 5570Z and an EeePC 1005HA. Eth0 and Wlan connect and work great on both PC's. Thanks .... KJ
Hi KJ

Frisbee shows eth1 activity OK for me in slacko 5.3.3 - on my desktop that only has an ethernet connection - no wifi.

Maybe its something to do with your eth driver? Can you report which is being used?

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

KJ

eth0 activity

#96 Post by KJ »

peebee .... Thanks for your response. Am posting now from Slacko5.3.3F and Network Wizard detects and loads eth0 OOTB and works correctly for me. Frisbee is only included as a .gz in usr/local. I extracted and install the .pet which gave the same indications as previously reported with Fluppy,Saluki, and Carolina.

HardInfo and Network wizard reports eth0 as: sky2 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

Fluppy12 on my EeePC 1005HA reports eth0 as: Alt1c pci: Attansic Tech. device. Frisbee wifi works correctly here (as with others I have tested); eth0: works but tray indicators do not function here as well .... two different systems/drivers ..... same problem. Thanks ... KJ

peebee

Re: eth0 activity

#97 Post by peebee »

KJ wrote:Frisbee is only included as a .gz in usr/local.
Hi Kj

In Slacko, if you use the Internet Connection wizard either from the menu or from the Connect button on the desktop then Frisbee is installed automatically for you - no need to delve into the innards like you've done...

As for the same hardware being reported differently - I think you need to ask experts in Hardware - Networking - Ethernet why that might be happening - I've no idea I'm afraid :cry:

Cheers
peebee

Tman

#98 Post by Tman »

KJ wrote: Come to think of it, I'm not sure that Frisbee-tray indicators have worked correctly with eth0 in Fluppy or other pups ... I usually run IceWM and use the built-in net monitor. Been trying XFCE and Open-box lately so it would be great if Frisbee-tray indicators worked with eth0. Thanks .... KJ
On the first post of this thread, Jemimah says this..
To install, first get the correct wpa_supplicant pet. Wpa_supplicant is picky about openssl so it needs to be compiled on the target platform
KJ,
Barry has released various Wary versions with different kernels.
If you are running, what I think you are running, then wpa-supplicant should be compiled for that pup.
I don't think it would hurt to compile dhcpcd either (just in case).

thunor
Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

#99 Post by thunor »

Greetings :)

I have been further developing gtkdialog and I've had a look at your Frisbee code and have noticed something that would benefit from modification and I'd like to recommend a tweak:

You are using progressbars as timers in two places. The problem is that gtkdialog runs these processes in another thread and although it will sever communication with them when it exits, it's down to the application developer to make sure that the processes exit because currently they remain ticking in memory after Frisbee has exited.

Since you are using gtkdialog3 (on newer Puppies that will likely be a symlink to gtkdialog4 (gtkdialog-0.8.0) I recommend this:

At line 280, change this:

<input>for i in \$(seq 0 1 10000); do if ((i\%2==1)) ; then echo 100 ; else echo 99; fi; sleep 10; done </input>
to this:

<input>i=0; while [ -f /tmp/frisbee-active ]; do echo \$((i * 100)); i=\$((i ^ 1)); sleep 10; done</input>
At line 418, change this:

<input>for i in \$(seq 0 1 10000); do if ((i\%2==1)) ; then echo 100 ; else echo 99; fi; sleep 15; done </input>
to this:

<input>i=0; while [ -f /tmp/frisbee-active ]; do echo \$((i * 100)); i=\$((i ^ 1)); sleep 15; done</input>
At line 608, change this:

RETVALS=`gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center`
to this:

echo > /tmp/frisbee-active
rm /tmp/frisbee-active
That's just one way of doing it, but you get the idea -- the process exits when /tmp/frisbee-active no longer exists.

Things are much less complicated in gtkdialog4 (gtkdialog-0.8.0) because there exists a timer widget for this, so I'll show you how that's done:

At line 279, change this:

<hbox><progressbar height-request=\"1\" width-request=\"1\"> 
	<input>for i in \$(seq 0 1 10000); do if ((i\%2==1)) ; then echo 100 ; else echo 99; fi; sleep 10; done </input>
	<action>get-status</action>
	<action>refresh:STATUS</action>
</progressbar></hbox>
to this:

<hbox><timer interval=\"10\" visible=\"false\"> 
	<action>get-status</action>
	<action>refresh:STATUS</action>
</timer></hbox>
At line 417, change this:

<hbox><progressbar height-request=\"1\" width-request=\"1\"> 
	<input>for i in \$(seq 0 1 10000); do if ((i\%2==1)) ; then echo 100 ; else echo 99; fi; sleep 15; done </input>
	<action>clear:TABLE</action>
	<action>refresh:TABLE</action>
	<action>refresh:CURSTAT</action>
	<action>refresh:CURIP</action>
	<action>refresh:ENWIRE</action>
</progressbar></hbox>
to this:

<hbox><timer interval=\"15\" visible=\"false\"> 
	<action>clear:TABLE</action>
	<action>refresh:TABLE</action>
	<action>refresh:CURSTAT</action>
	<action>refresh:CURIP</action>
	<action>refresh:ENWIRE</action>
</timer></hbox>
Anyway, hope you find this useful.

Regards,
Thunor
Last edited by thunor on Wed 21 Nov 2012, 01:25, edited 2 times in total.

thunor
Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

#100 Post by thunor »

Sorry, just a couple more suggestions :)

At line 608 and onwards you have this:

eval $RETVALS
if [[ "$EXIT" == "RESTART" ]] ; then
elif [[ "$EXIT" == "Exit-NOW" ]] ; then #121108...
fi
If you close the Frisbee application window via the window manager then you'll also get EXIT="abort". I don't know if you're aware of this or you are and ignoring it is intentional, but I'll mention it anyway.

An issue it that RETVALS contains all output and you're evaluating everything when there could be messages within it -- especially if you add debugging code -- and you only need the value of EXIT in any case, so I recommend this which additionally gives you a log of messages if any:

gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center > /tmp/frisbee.log
eval `grep ^EXIT= /tmp/frisbee.log`
The gtkdialog "--center" command-line option tells the window manager to always maintain the window at screen centre, but if you attempt to resize the window by dragging out a corner then it feels like a tug-o-war. A much better alternative is to add it to the window tag like this:

<window title=\"Frisbee \"icon-name=\"network-idle\" window-position=\"1\">
The other values for window-position are here if you're interested.

Regards,
Thunor

peebee

Thunor's improvements made

#101 Post by peebee »

I have updated the pet for Precise to include Thunor's improvements (including using the gtkdialog4 timer widget).

They seem to make the initial detection of available wifi signals much snappier.

I've tested on Precise 5.4.1 and also pemasu's Upup-Precise 54X3.

Should work on any Precise derivative as well - e.g. LxPup Precise

Cheers
peebee

p.s. rerwin is working on a major overhaul of Frisbee to make it consistent with the other Puppy network managers.

darkcity

#102 Post by darkcity »

Hi peebee

Thanks for the work on Frisbee.

rerwin has also being working on Frisbee so it might be worth coordinating the improvements see-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 521#662521

I've updated the wiki page http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frisbee

It might be worth starting a new thread (if this hasn't been done already).

8)

peebee

#103 Post by peebee »

darkcity wrote:rerwin has also being working on Frisbee so it might be worth coordinating the improvements see-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 521#662521
Hi darkcity

Coordination has been underway for some time.....it just takes place in the main by PM to avoid cluttering up the threads too much.

It's probably a bit premature to announce Frisbee3 on the wiki - rerwin is still chasing down bugs...

Cheers
peebee

darkcity

#104 Post by darkcity »

Great to hear 8)

ashtu43

frisbee in slacko 5.3.3

#105 Post by ashtu43 »

i have installed slacko 5.3.3 on my dell inspiron 1525 laptop. i have a iball baton 150 n wireless modem / router.
i use Frisbee_beta-2.4-spup|Frisbee to connect to wireless network.
while the network is good enough for browsing but very poor for downloading big files. i have win vista on laptop otherwise and download speeds are significantly higher.
following forom pup sys info
=== Distro Specifications ===

Operating System: Slacko Puppy 5.3.3
Desktop Window Manager: JWM vsvn-578
Desktop Start: xwin jwm

=== /etc/DISTRO_SPECS ===

#One or more words that identify this distribution:
DISTRO_NAME='Slacko Puppy'
#version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_VERSION=5.3.3
#The distro whose binary packages were used to build this distribution:
DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT='slackware'
#Prefix for some filenames: exs: slackosave.2fs, slacko-5.3.3.sfs
DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='slacko'
#The version of the distro whose binary packages were used to build this distro:
DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='13.37'
#the kernel pet package used:
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='linux_kernel-3.1.10-patched_s_4gA.pet'
#16-byte alpha-numeric ID-string appended to vmlinuz, puppy_slacko_5.3.3.sfs, zdrv_slacko_5.3.3.sfs and devx.sfs:
DISTRO_IDSTRING='s120505091759ZZZZ5.3.3XXXXXXXXXX'
#Puppy default filenames...
#Note, the 'SFS' files below are what the 'init' script in initrd.gz searches for,
#for the partition, path and actual files loaded, see PUPSFS and ZDRV in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='puppy_slacko_5.3.3.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zdrv_slacko_5.3.3.sfs'
DISTRO_PUPPYDATE='May 2012'
#DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes'

=== PCI INTERFACES ===

DESCRIPTION: Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2a00
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): agpgart-intel

DESCRIPTION: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2a02
KERNEL MODULE: i915

DESCRIPTION: Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary)
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2a03

DESCRIPTION: USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2834
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): uhci_hcd

DESCRIPTION: USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2835

DESCRIPTION: USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 283a
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): ehci_hcd

DESCRIPTION: Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 284b
KERNEL MODULE: snd_hda_intel

DESCRIPTION: PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 283f
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): pcieport

DESCRIPTION: PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2841

DESCRIPTION: PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2847

DESCRIPTION: USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2830

DESCRIPTION: USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2831

DESCRIPTION: USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2832

DESCRIPTION: USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2836
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): ehci_hcd

DESCRIPTION: PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2448

DESCRIPTION: ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2815

DESCRIPTION: IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2850
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): ata_piix

DESCRIPTION: SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 2829
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): ahci

DESCRIPTION: SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 283e
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): i801_smbus

DESCRIPTION: FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
VENDOR: 1180 DEVICE: 0832
KERNEL MODULE: firewire_ohci

DESCRIPTION: SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter
VENDOR: 1180 DEVICE: 0822
KERNEL MODULE: sdhci-pci

DESCRIPTION: System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller
VENDOR: 1180 DEVICE: 0843
KERNEL MODULE: sdhci-pci

DESCRIPTION: System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter
VENDOR: 1180 DEVICE: 0592
KERNEL MODULE: r592

DESCRIPTION: System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller
VENDOR: 1180 DEVICE: 0852
KERNEL MODULE: r852

DESCRIPTION: Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
VENDOR: 11ab DEVICE: 4354
KERNEL MODULE: sky2

DESCRIPTION: Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
VENDOR: 14e4 DEVICE: 4315
KERNEL DRIVER (builtin): b43-pci-bridge

=== Network Specifications ===

Firewall: Off (ip_tables not detected)
Network Status: Connected wlan0
Wireless Network: iBall-Baton
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Link Quality=70/70 Signal=-37 dBm
can somebody comment/help.

Argolance

#106 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
I tried to compile xpupsay from xpupsay-1.2.1.tar.gz patched by technosaurus running Puppy Precise 5.3.4 but didn't succeed:
# ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... no
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... no
checking for GNU gettext in libc... yes
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... libc
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking libintl.h usability... yes
checking libintl.h presence... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
checking for _Bool... yes
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for GNU libc compatible malloc... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for setlocale... yes
checking for strcasecmp... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for XCOWSAY... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing po-directories commands
config.status: creating po/POTFILES
config.status: creating po/Makefile
# make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/sdb2/my-documents/downloads/xpupsay-1.2.1'
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/sdb2/my-documents/downloads/xpupsay-1.2.1/po'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/sdb2/my-documents/downloads/xpupsay-1.2.1/po'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/sdb2/my-documents/downloads/xpupsay-1.2.1/src'
gcc -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/xpupsay\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. @XPUPSAY_CFLAGS@ -Wall -g -O2 -MT xpupsay.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/xpupsay.Tpo -c -o xpupsay.o xpupsay.c
gcc: error: @XPUPSAY_CFLAGS@: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [xpupsay.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/sdb2/my-documents/downloads/xpupsay-1.2.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/sdb2/my-documents/downloads/xpupsay-1.2.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
#
Any idea of what's going wrong?
Thank you.

Cordialement.

Argolance

#107 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Nobody 's here?

peebee

#108 Post by peebee »

Argolance wrote:Hello,
Nobody 's here?
Hi Argolance

Could be because this is a Frisbee thread and you are asking about xpupsay which is used by Frisbee but came from elsewhere.

Probably better to post your query in the xpupsay thread (if that exists) or in a more general thread about pop-up notifications...again if such exists.

or a compiling thread....

or pm technosaurus....

Cheers
peebee

rerwin

Integrated Frisbee network manager 1.0

#109 Post by rerwin »

The attached tarball contains six pet packages that implement an integrated version of Frisbee, with the intent that it be added to the woof infrastructure system. The packages are existing or added pets for developer inclusion in a distribution -- except that the "woof updates" package is targeted for the basic puppy infrastructure.

This version of frisbee is derived from the "beta4" version used in the "carolina" project. If further improvements are made to the "beta" series, they can easily be migrated to the integrated version by way of an "adaptation" script (that I am not yet publishing). The adaption retains the Frisbee logic but relocates the residency of its components, to isolate it from the beta series. It also corrects a few bugs, fixes for which I offer to the maintainers of the betas.

The packages included in this "kit" (as of 2/17/2013) are:
  • frisbee-1.0 - required
    network_tray-2.6 - OPTIONAL (Includes frisbee_tray logic.)
    woof_updates_precise - required (Based on Precise Pup versions of infrastructure scripts. Adds disconnect improvement to SNS)
    dhcpcd-dropwait - desirable (reduces random disconnects)
    net_setup - desirable (wag-profiles.sh uses dhcpcd-dropwait, adds an item)
Do not install the previous beta versions of Frisbee into a puppy that contains this integrated version, frisbee (lower case), because they are incompatible.

This is the result of many months of work and the patient assistance of peebee, who tested the changes, gave me many recommendations and shrank the tray icons to 24x24 pixels. 01micko also assisted with the "dropwait" function and recommendations. Thank you, peebee and 01micko.

Barry, if there are further mods needed to facilitate the incorporation of these packages in woof, please instruct me.

Performance note: Because frisbee is now one of several network managers selectable by the user, it is not set up until a user selects it with the connect wizard. Therefore, the initial scanning for wireless networks may be slow. Please be patient with it. Other than that, please report any problems in this thread, as well as suggestions for improvements. To generate diagnostic information, please install and use the "pdiag" pet package, available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 751#671751

As for the original set of these packages in the precise-pup 5.4-5.4.2 thread, they are updated to match the attached "kit", to avoid having obsolete versions available.
Richard

Update 1/17/2013: Removed redundant test from AppRun in the woof_updates package (per shinobar's advice), uploaded after d/l #18 -- no functional change. Added pdiag package with the splash notifications expected when run from frisbee. Updated frisbee to use it.

Update 1/23/2013: Updated the frisbee and pdiag packages as release candidates, given that I have resolved all of the issues I am aware of and can fix. Please report any further problems I might have missed, other than the new delays reported above, which we just have to live with. Note that Argolance is internationalizing the frisbee package, which can be applied once the release version goes into woof -- or if he sends it to me for inclusion in the "kit". Pdiag now accepts a "--wpa" argument, to include WPA .conf and .log files, but only if the user allows that operation when asked. The --splash argument is removed, since pdiag now always uses dialogs and a splash notice.

Update 2/7/2013: Updated the frisbee and network_tray packages. Network_tray is unchanged but has improved pinstall and puninstall scripts to facilitate user installation of it. Frisbee is internationalized (mostly by Argolance), although there may be further work done with the buttons, to accommodate translations that are longer than the original text. It also does not kill the older version of network_tray, making the new one ("2.6") an optional (not required) installation that adds the frisbee-style connectivity icons. Also added minor fixes to pdiag, to correct internationalization of the generated tarball name and capture the /etc/frisbee directory contents, after download #23.

Update 2/17/2013: Updated kit with precise-beta release versions of frisbee and network_tray. Merged wag-profiles back into net_setup.

Update 2/21/2013: Updated the kit with corrected (20130220) version of frisbee, to restore missing (internationalized) text display.

Update 2/27/2013: Updated the kit to avoid forced wpa_supplicant logging at the debug level, which created a large and ever-growing log file. Debug logging is controlled by a new frisbee checkbox in the Diagnostics dialog.
EDIT 2/28/2013: Replaced with 20130228 after download #2 to "bullet-proof" a test against an unlikely situation. No function difference from 20130227.
Attachments
frisbee_pet_kit-20130228.tar.gz
Corrected set of 5 packages to integrate Frisbee into puppy, as &quot;frisbee&quot;
(with wag_profiles recombined into net_setup).
Requires pdiag-20130123+ for diagnostics.
(163.26 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
pdiag-20130207.pet
Diag collector with full GUI, internationalization and option to include sensitive WPA files if user allows --
frisbee-1.0-20120123 and later uses this option.
Command line use without arguments does not copy the WPA files.
(4.4 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 04:50, edited 23 times in total.

rerwin

Integrated-frisbee supporting information

#110 Post by rerwin »

Reserving this message, for addition of supporting files and information.
Attachments
woof_updates_precise-difference_files.tar.gz
woof_updates and wag-profile package differences versus precise 5.4.3.
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
network_tray-difference_lists.tar.gz
network_tray-2.6 differences and addition versus 2.5.
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
network_tray-2.6.tar.gz
Source code for network_tray that includes the function of frisbee_tray.
1/19/2012: Details cleaned up. No functional change.
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
dhcpcd-dropwait-5.6.4.tar.gz
Source code for dhcpcd 5.6.4 with dropwait enhancement for wifi connection stability.
(126.81 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 04:34, edited 4 times in total.