Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
peebee

#436 Post by peebee »

Hi rerwin

Topic: frisbee interaction with network_tray

Test environment: pristine frugal install of tahrpup-6.0.2 k3.14.20-pae with no updates

Problem: neither the "built-in" version of frisbee (frisbee-1.1-20130415-bashfix) nor frisbee-1.3.4-20150426 updates the network_tray icon or status message when "Disconnect from Network" is chosen.

Behaviour does not change if I also install network_tray-2.9.1-i486

sns in the same test environment behaves correctly.

Let me know if I can pm you any diagnostic information.

Regards
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

#437 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Problem: neither the "built-in" version of frisbee (frisbee-1.1-20130415-bashfix) nor frisbee-1.3.4-20150426 updates the network_tray icon or status message when "Disconnect from Network" is chosen.
Thanks for mentioning that. After a far-to-long delay, I have fixed the problem as network_tray-2.7.5.
Richard
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.5-i486.pet
pet package
(13.3 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
network_tray-2.7.5.tar.gz
Source code tarball
(17.31 KiB) Downloaded 676 times

xanad

#438 Post by xanad »

Hi rerwin
I noticed that to translate frisbee-1.3.4, lack these changes:
- /usr/local/bin/frisbee
line 916
from

Code: Select all

<label>"Configure PPPoE for DSL"</label>
to

<label>"$(gettext 'Configure PPPoE for DSL')"</label>
line 929
from

<label>"Configure mobile wireless"</label>
to

<label>"$(gettext 'Configure mobile wireless')"</label>
- /usr/local/frisbee/func
missing:

export TEXTDOMAIN=frisbee
export OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8
. gettext.sh
[url]http://www.xanad.tk[/url] Html5 Parallax

rerwin

#439 Post by rerwin »

xanad,
Thank you for catching and reporting those items. I will add them for 1.3.5, but am waiting for any further bugs to be found for it. I have some internal changes to go into it, but they do not change the behavior nor provide any user-perceivable benefits.

However, I do not believe that the addition to func is necessary. That file is always "sourced" (. /usr/local/frisbee/func) so is considered to be part of the sourcing script. The ". gettext.sh" in frisbee and its profile_editor and diag functions should allow eval_gettext to be recognized in all of the supporting functions defined in func.

If you know of a case where the absence of gettext.sh in func itself is causing a problem, please tell me about that.
Richard

01micko

#440 Post by 01micko »

Hi Richard.

Just a request with the pinstall.sh

I am aware you have a bunch of code in there that runs to detect old frisbee files and correct them for the new frisbee version. Unfortunately, these are running in the woof build system. It does no harm (for me, but perhaps for some will run on their woof host system) but it may be disconcerting for the woof builder to see a bunch of 'sed' errors when the main woof pinstall.sh is run.

TIA

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rerwin

#441 Post by rerwin »

01micko,
Thanks for mentioning that impact. I am adding in 8 places:
  • [ "$(ls root/.packages/frisbee-1.*.files 2>/dev/null)" ] \
    &&
ahead of each sed...files line. Will that take care of it?

Do you have any further thoughts on improving frisbee?
Richard

01micko

#442 Post by 01micko »

rerwin wrote:01micko,
Thanks for mentioning that impact. I am adding in 8 places:
  • [ "$(ls root/.packages/frisbee-1.*.files 2>/dev/null)" ] \
    &&
ahead of each sed...files line. Will that take care of it?

Do you have any further thoughts on improving frisbee?
Richard
I think that should be sufficient.

I do have some ideas, mostly around notifications. However for some future version; no rush.

My idea is, that it would be nice to have a function that detects if a notification daemon is installed, for example dunst or Xfce4-notifyd and pop the messages using that, of course with the current method as a fallback.

I'm going to work on a similar idea for my mtp program (for mounting android phones) at some point.

Cheers.

rerwin

#443 Post by rerwin »

01micko,
I, too, would like the dhcpcd notifications to use whichever method is available in a puppy distro, but am unsure how to go about it. Please let me know how you do it and I will use the concept.
Richard

01micko

#444 Post by 01micko »

Hi Richard

I just tweaked my function to detect 'dunst', the notification daemon I have installed. Just tested. If I comment dunst then gtkdialog-splash is used. You could get fancy and use other pop ups (like gxmedssage) but I don't think it necessary, however some older pups don't have gtkdialog-splash so maybe it would be useful.

func_note() {
	OPT0=$1
	NOTIFY="gtkdialog-splash"
	which dunst 2>&1 > /dev/null && NOTIFY="notify-send"
	which xfce4-notifyd 2>&1 > /dev/null && NOTIFY="notify-send"
	case $NOTIFY in
	notify-send*) 
	  case $OPT0 in
	    l)T=2000
	      OPT1='--urgency=low' ;;
	    n)T=2000
	      OPT1='--urgency=normal' ;;
	    c)T=5000
	      OPT1='--urgency=critical' ;;
	  esac
	  MSG="$2"
	  notify-send -t $T "$OPT1" "$MSG" ;;
	gtkdialog-splash*)
	  case $OPT0 in
	    l)OPT1="yellow" ;;
	    n)OPT1="green" ;;
	    c)OPT1="red" ;;
	  esac
	  MSG=$2
	  gtkdialog-splash -bg $OPT1 -close never -timeout 3 -text "$2" ;;
	esac
}
It is a little general but with more options could be well suited.

EG: the '-close' and '-timeout' options could be soft coded, and I'm pretty sure that if you call a function and fork it, its PID will be $! just as if you call another app.

Here is an example of how I use it.

err_func() {
	func_note c "$@"
	exit 1
}
.. as a splash to pop on fatal errors

or as a useful notification

func_note n "Device mounted successfully."
Integration with a notification daemon restricts the colors to 3, but that shouldn't be an issue.

For more on notification daemons Arch wiki has a useful page. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De ... ifications

HTH

peebee

Re: Updated frisbee and dhcpcd packages

#445 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:I have built new frisbee and dhcp packages ....
The dhcpcd-dropwait-6.7.1 is the current release at this time and includes a wait of up to 3 seconds for a lost carrier (connection) to get re-detected.
As always, please report any misbehavior of frisbee or dhcpcd so that I might address it.
Richard
Hi Richard

I have been using dhcpcd-dropwait-6.7.1 in my LxPup builds for some time succesfully.

Recently, I changed my build process to be 100% woof-ce and this has exposed an issue.

Basically dhcpcd-dropwait-6.7.1 does not include /etc/dhcpcd.conf and as a result when used in a woof-ce build sns fails to set up a wifi connection (Frisbee works ok because it has a local dhcpcd.conf - netwiz also works).

If I copy the /etc/dhcpcd.conf from dhcpcd-5.5.6-dropwait-slacko14.pet then sns works correctly.

Perhaps you could reissue dhcpcd-dropwait-6.7.1 with /etc/dhcpcd.conf included?

Thanks
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

Re: Updated dhcpcd package

#446 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Perhaps you could reissue dhcpcd-dropwait-6.7.1 with /etc/dhcpcd.conf included?
Although it got a bit complicated, I have now done just that. Thank you for reporting the problem.

The attached pet packages were built in tahrpup and tahr64 for adoption by woof-CE. The only additions to the original set (posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9f2#832546)
are the addition of dhcpcd.conf (as dhcpcd.conf.tmp) and some logic in the pinstall script to install dhcpcd.conf only if it is not present, as would be the case in a woof-CE build. That logic deletes the ".tmp" copy if the file is already present or renames the ".tmp" file to remove ".tmp". It then corrects the /root/.packages/dhcpcd....files file as appropriate,

Users of the original versions of dhcpcd-dropwait need not install these new packages, other than to verify they are ready for woof-CE. They have been tested on tahrpup, tahr64 and slacko64.

The attached source tarballs contain updated instructions for building dhcpcd for puppy, in README-puppy.
Richard
Attachments
dhcpcd-6.7.1-dropwait-x86_64.pet
The 64-bit version, intended for woof-CE
(120.79 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-dropwait-i686.pet
The 32-bit version, intended for woof-CE
(125.92 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-patched-dropwait.tar.gz
Source for dhcpcd with the dropwait addition and a small timeout increase.
md5sum: 22a4150d54145cad78aba607056235e1
(245.24 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
dhcpcd-6.7.1-patched.tar.gz
Source for dhcpcd without the dropwait feature, but with a small timeout increase.
md5sum: a54a13cc7d080d17af6cb2aa12a88de4
(243.32 KiB) Downloaded 565 times

peebee

#447 Post by peebee »

Hi Richard

Do you think you will be making any dropwait versions of more recent dhcpcd?

Slackware-current now ships with dhcpcd-6.8.2

and Arch Linux with dhcpcd-6.10.1

Thanks
peebee

rerwin

#448 Post by rerwin »

peebee,
I expect to, at some point. Right now I have all I can handle (pgprs 2.0 & frisbee 1.4). I want to prepare some of my lupu fixes to go into woof, which could get complicated.

Is there any reason to focus on a particular version of dhcpcd for upgrade? Or anything needed that makes an upgrade urgent?
R

zagreb999

frisbee for mx15linux

#449 Post by zagreb999 »

Hi peebbe!

Our friends from MX 15 Linux like to add frisbee to their repository.
Please, do explain to them that frisbee is free , without
licence limitations.
Thanks.

peebee

#450 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:peebee,
I expect to, at some point. Right now I have all I can handle (pgprs 2.0 & frisbee 1.4). I want to prepare some of my lupu fixes to go into woof, which could get complicated.

Is there any reason to focus on a particular version of dhcpcd for upgrade? Or anything needed that makes an upgrade urgent?
R
Hi Richard

No & no....just noted during building LxPupSc that later versions were available. I'm currently building LxPupSc with the 6.10.1 version from Arch Linux and this seems to be working OK apart from @Marv's troublesome wifi which resets itself every 108secs....but he is happy to use sns or pwf for that.

I'll send you a pm re: woof-ce

@zagreb999 - that would be rerwin's call rather than mine although the original author of frisbee - jemimah - is no longer in contact....anyways we would need contact details - suggest you pm them to rerwin.

Cheers
peebee

zagreb999

frisbee 64 bit deb

#451 Post by zagreb999 »

hi rerwin

debiandog64 has frisbee as deb file

can you, please, make it for MX 15 LINUX 64 BIT

WITH ALL dependencies...

mx 15 linux is very good oper. system

regards.

rerwin

#452 Post by rerwin »

zagreb999,
That seems like a reasonable thing to try, since any modifications needed are probably part of the .deb package, I assume. Since frisbee is made up of only bash scripts, it should also work in 64-bit linuxes.

As for dependencies, the main one is gtkdialog 0.8.4r514.

Please check with the developer of debiandog for any other changes he had to make to get it working.

Try installing the deb in 64-bit MX, to see how far you can get with it.
Richard

sindi

Works in Lupu 5.2.8 on an HP netbook (Atom processor)

#453 Post by sindi »

I installed the four files listed on the first page, having had to download them with Tahr 6.05 because I had no network connection with Lupu (or Saluki - both installed via the exe to the SSD which cannot be partitioned so everything shares a partition with XP).

Our router was just changed from no encryption to WEP and the Simple and Doug's Network Wizards will not connect but Frisbee does (it comes with Tahr).

Broadcom (b43?) wifi card works in Windows but I hate to use ndiswrapper.

I used a urxvt and petget to install the four files. After the Frisbee pet installed, Frisbee started and took down wlan0 and it all worked perfectly to connect. No reboot needed.

Very stable connection for half an hour of browsing and downloads.
As opposed to ndiswrapper for a new USB wifi card that was difficulto to find working XP drivers for and that has to be chosen every time you boot and keeps crashing puppy. That was our other option.

THANKS

My partner insists on using a version of puppy that works with acpitool which ruled out Tahr and Slacko and Precise. Lupu and Saluki work with acpitool (suspend to RAM). He was in the middle of switching to Linux Mint when I got Lupu working with Frisbee.
Linux Mint with a light WM can manage with ONLY 10GB hard disk.
I think the SSDI is 16GB total most of it XP. I had to delete exe installation files after use to get 400MB free space for save file.
Hiberfil.sys is taking up about as much space as Lupu.

Lupu 5.2.8 works with Palemoon (final Atom-optimized version), and I expect also with Chromium 10 (did not test on this netbook yet but it works on a regular laptop in lupu). Lupu also works on an ACER netbook. Both 2008, 1.6GHz, 1.5 or 2 MB.

XP took forever to boot and load programs. Such a relief to get back out of it. Instead of an exe installer I could probably just mount the iso file loop and copy files to sda. I had to run grub4dos (or edit menu.lst manually) because the exe installer did not add lupu to the list of linuxes to boot.

sindi

Frisbee does not work after reboot.

#454 Post by sindi »

Frisbee and the two Network Wizards cannot find any wireless signal after I reboot. Tahr finds it. Something went wrong. Reinstalling the Frisbee pet might fix it (then never turn off the computer).

sindi

Lupu cannot handle WEP

#455 Post by sindi »

I have Lupu on a laptop with pcmcia slot and stuck in a non-cardbus wireless B card with WEP and not WPA. atmel_cs.

The card is recognized but will not connect. I installed pwireless and then the frisbee beta 2 (from package manager) and the problem is wpa supplicant wants a key with a different number of characters than ours (which is 8 long).

A b43 Wireless G card does not work at all with lupu but does with Tahr. The b43 in the netbook was recognized by Lupu but did not connect except for once immediately after I installed the four packages from this discussion.

One solution is to remove encryption. Another is to use WPA, which disables a lot of my older hardware wifi including some Pocketpcs from 2002 to 2005, and also basiclinux (only uses non-cardbus cards which have WEP or NO encryption capabilities).

I tested our router wifi signal and it is -62 dBm indoors, -92 dBm at the sidewalk (better than the -101 3G Sprint signal) and probably detectable in the street. No parking allowed this side of the street. Neighbors have their own signals.
A few other houses around town have open signals - I used one during a local power outage.

The USB wifi card I bought from ebay crashes a lot. Can someone recommend a cheap one that works well with linux?
Or a way to make Frisbee work again with our netbook?