Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rerwin

dhcpcd "dropwait" update

#391 Post by rerwin »

Attached are new versions of dhcpcd with the "DropWait" feature added, which tolerates brief connection dropouts of up to 3 seconds.

There are versions for Lucid, Slacko and all other pups beginning with Precise pup, as well as the source tarball with additional files related to building it for puppy. Note that releases after 6.4.3 could not be compiled by Lucid Pup without some risky changes. The Lucid variant was compiled in Lucid Pup; the others were compiled in Precise Pup 5.7.1.

UPDATE 10/19/2014: Re-uploaded the source tarballs with minor corrections to the README-dropwait files section on how to create an upgraded version of a future version of dhcpcd. Added the 'pinstall.sh' file to the set of files to propagate to a future source package; corrected numbering. The compilations are unchanged. Added new "workaround" package to prevent interference during hotplugging of a wireless device, which would start wpa_supplicant for the new device, in conflict with SNS/netwiz control of only one connection; it adds a "nohook" entry for the hook file into /etc/dhcpcd.conf.

UPDATE 3/7/2015: I have uploaded several versions of dhcpcd-6.7.1 and its source code here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 546#832546
Attachments
dhcpcd_6.x_wpa_workaround-20141019.pet
Patch to avoid use of new wpa_supplicant "hook" script.
(578 Bytes) Downloaded 512 times
dhcpcd-6.5.0-patched-dropwait-i686.pet
For distributions Precise Pup and other non-slacko distributions.
(122.96 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
dhcpcd-6.5.0-patched-dropwait-slacko-i686.pet
For Slacko distributions and others with dhcpcd-hooks in /usr/libexec.
(123.7 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
dhcpcd-6.4.3-patched-dropwait-lucid-i686.pet
For Lucid Pup variant
(125.88 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 22:34, edited 5 times in total.

rerwin

dhcpcd "exitwait" update

#392 Post by rerwin »

Attached are new versions of the dhcpcd with the extended timeout value for lost connections. This is not the "dropwait" variant, but is only the released version with 8 seconds added to the period that allows the running dhcpcd process to end.

There are versions for Lucid, Slacko and all other pups beginning with Precise pup, as well as the source tarball with additional files related to building it for puppy. Note that releases after 6.4.3 could not be compiled by Lucid Pup without some risky changes.

UPDATE 10/19/2014: Re-uploaded the source tarballs with minor corrections to the README-dropwait files section on how to create an upgraded version of a future version of dhcpcd. Added the 'pinstall.sh' file to the set of files to propagate to a future source package; corrected numbering. The compilations are unchanged. Added new "workaround" package to prevent interference during hotplugging of a wireless device, which would start wpa_supplicant for the new device, in conflict with SNS/netwiz control of only one connection; it adds a "nohook" entry for the hook file into /etc/dhcpcd.conf.

UPDATE 3/7/2015: I have uploaded several versions of dhcpcd-6.7.1 and its source code here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 546#832546
Attachments
dhcpcd_6.x_wpa_workaround-20141019.pet
Patch to avoid use of new wpa_supplicant "hook" script.
(Duplicate of same-named package in previous message for the "dropwait" group)
(578 Bytes) Downloaded 387 times
dhcpcd-6.5.0-patched-i686.pet
For Precise Pup and other non-slacko distributions.
(122.84 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
dhcpcd-6.5.0-patched-slacko-i686.pet
For Slacko Pup only. (Also, any other distros with dhcpcd-hooks in /usr/libexec.)
(123.58 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
dhcpcd-6.4.3-patched-lucid-i686.pet
For Lucid Pup only.
(125.77 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 22:28, edited 4 times in total.

stray_dog

#393 Post by stray_dog »

Dear rerwin, wow! I will definitely try these attached files you just uploaded. Thank you for putting those up!
Note that frisbee stays locked until all of its windows are closed, not just the main frisbee window. Were the "Manage saved profiles" and "Diagnostics" windows also closed? To avoid that problem, I could add logic to close those windows whenever the main window is closed. But that could get messier than we think. So, we need to decide whether that is worth doing.
Yea, actually I *thought* closed the diagnostics & manage profiles windows first, then the main Frisbee window. I got the notification it was already running after clicking on the 'connect' icon. But today, I cannot reproduce the phenomenon unless I purposefully leave one of those windows open. So I think since I can't seem to reproduce it, I *must* have left one of those windows open without realizing it. So I think, adding logic to close windows, nah, I think that's not necessary.

Thank you for all your thought and work on this stuff. I'm grateful.

rerwin

Bugfix frisbee package 1.3.1 uploaded

#394 Post by rerwin »

I have posted an update to frisbee to restore the ability to switch between network managers. When I changed the name of the initialization script to frisbee.sh, I missed changing the name in the script for switching out of frisbee. That prevented the other managers from starting successfully. The update is frisbee-1.3.1, at the usual place:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 962#780962

I also added a package for the updated dhcpcd versions, above on this page, to address the presence of the relatively new "hook script" that may start wpa_supplicant outside of the control of any of puppy's network managers, specifically when a wifi device is "hot plugged" in. It tells dhcpcd to skip running that new script. Because frisbee has its own configuration file, the "1.3.1" version also now skips running the script. Since all of the puppy network managers were designed without that hook script, it should not be necessary; my testing found no impact from skipping that hook.

If any of the network managers are modified to utilize the new hook script, then the "unhook" line for wpa_supplicant in the relevant dhcpcd.conf file should be removed.

For the dhcpcd upgrades, I made minor changes to the README-exitwait/dropwait files, to get them right, in the source code tarballs. I wanted to be sure the instructions for updating a new release of dhcpcd are complete. That does not affect the result of compilation and installation from the source packages.

I hope this gets frisbee and dhcpcd to a point where no more fixes are needed for a while. But definitely notify me if there are any "showstoppers".
Richard

stray_dog

#395 Post by stray_dog »

These paired versions of 1.3 and 6.5.0 have worked *really* well for me over the last several days.

stray_dog

#396 Post by stray_dog »

Editing earlier post. With these updated dhcpcd's for slacko, I'm getting the fastest connection results with frisbee and peasywifi. Taking some time to try the different options correctly, I've been getting really good results. It's really working well for me. Thank you - very much.
Last edited by stray_dog on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

larski

up/dn status of wireless?

#397 Post by larski »

i just upgraded to slacko 5.7 from 5.6 yesterday to try to fix a problem i was having with fldigi - BUT
i like 5.7 except the network_tray icon doesnt work. it never changes. i got onto this thread & think this is the proper place to ask this question:
i see how you are working hard to solve the entire intricate problem, and that it has been elusive over a substantial period of time.

PERSONALLY, and i think i am speaking for many of us - the ONLY thing i care about on the wireless monitor icon, is whether the link is UP or DOWN. i don't need to see the blinkenlights for up/download.
Would it be trivial to produce an app that only gave up/down indication?

right now, my icon says 'dead' all the time. useless.
i applaud and appreciate your hard work & await your reply
regards
lars.

larski

belay my last

#398 Post by larski »

i apologize for my last post. while the symptom was accurate, and i thought i had narrowed down the issue, this morning i noticed in the icon folder that there were a bunch of strange symlinks, and lots of things were linked to ethernet-active.svg, but ethernet-active.svg was the 'dead' icon for some strange reason. anyway, when i cleaned up the links, and put an appropriate image for ethernet-active.svg, it does what i want now, ie shows up/dn state of (wireless) link. it still does not blink with activity, but as i said last night that doesnt bother me (at least for now).
i have loaded so many pets trying to fix this problem and pulled files from my backup of 5.6 slacko, that i can't tell you where the links got messed up, or if i was somehow responsible (i don't see how, but i suppose it's possible).
if anything regarding my recent experience here is useful to you let me know & i will post, otherwise i'm back in quiet monitoring mode of this thread.
thanks & regards
lars.

B.K. Johnson

#399 Post by B.K. Johnson »

rerwin/Richard,
you will find here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 748#806748
my complaint about xpupsay's big ugly windows used for notifications in the version of frisbee imstalled in tahrpup-6.0 CE.

In your revisions of jemimah's original work, have you addressed this (I haven't had the time to go through the thread) or do you plan to? If you agree that it is tacky, then I think as the maintainer the change should come from your group, with assistance from the spup crew of course. Ir would benefit all kennels.

B.K. Johnson

SteveM

Wireless Status

#400 Post by SteveM »

Is this the right place to ask?...

I'm using Frisbee on LXPUP and it works fine apart from one thing...

When booting up, the initial status of the wireless networking is OFF and I need to click the Frisbee networking control and choose Enable Wireless after which it connects and everything is fine.

Now I'm configuring this machine (Acer Aspire One netbook) for my mother (who is in her late 80s) and she won't cope with having to turn the wireless on manually each time it boots up.

So surely there is some way of booting up with it already enabled?

peebee

Re: Wireless Status

#401 Post by peebee »

SteveM wrote:Is this the right place to ask?...

I'm using Frisbee on LXPUP and it works fine apart from one thing...

When booting up, the initial status of the wireless networking is OFF and I need to click the Frisbee networking control and choose Enable Wireless after which it connects and everything is fine.

Now I'm configuring this machine (Acer Aspire One netbook) for my mother (who is in her late 80s) and she won't cope with having to turn the wireless on manually each time it boots up.

So surely there is some way of booting up with it already enabled?
Hi there

Which flavour of LxPup and what kind of wifi please?

There is a known problem with Precise where some Broadcom wifi is soft blocked on boot.....if this is your problem I can provide the simple fix.

You can check with the command - rfkill list - in a terminal just after bootup.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

SteveM

#402 Post by SteveM »

Re Puppy Version...

uname -a SAYS...

Linux puppypc18698 3.2.33-4g

GRUB says: lxpup 13.01

Re What kind of wireless?

I'm not sure how to answer the question?

Re rfkill list

It reports...

0: phy 0: wlan
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

which would lead one to expect that the wireless networking would be enabled - but it's not. It reports requesting ip address for wlan0 but doesn't succeed until I click the Frisbee icon (which is the networking symbol with a No Entry sign imposed over it) then it seems to automatically take the enable wireless network option. If I go to PupControl Panel and check the settings it says that the wireless network is enabled.

SteveM

#403 Post by SteveM »

This problem has now been resolved...

In the PupControl panel I went to Network Setup and selected the wireless lan device and clicked the wlan0 button and, for reasons unknown to me, it then downloaded and installed a different version of Frisbee after which I ended up with two network control icons at the bottom right.

Rebooted and the old one went away and just left the new one.

Reconfigured my wireless lan profile and everything is fine afterwards...

When I reboot then the wireless lan looks like it's not active, but if I wait a few moments then it turns on and connects.

So many thanks for offering to help.

rerwin

Network_tray-2.7.3 to fix traffic count limit

#404 Post by rerwin »

Prompted by the resolution of the count problem reported and fixed in Bugs thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 219#777219
I have fixed the "2.7" version and added 01micko's menu improvements from "2.7.2".

The attached package adapts itself for installation in all puppies, at least starting with lucid pup. It handles the differences in startup methods as well as the differing locations for dhcpcd hook scripts.

The source tarball now contains the files needed to complete a pet package -- pinstall.sh, puninstall.sh, 99-network_tray and network_tray.desktop, along with instructions for placement.
Richard
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.3-i486.pet
Network_tray fixed for traffic count stopping at 2048 MB
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
network_tray-2.7.3.tar.gz
Source for network_tray
(17.01 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

divisionmd

run from console only

#405 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

- If i dont use "X" and want to run Frissbee from console only - how is this achieved?

- Say i want to start it from sysinit - any clues on how to do this?

Thanks for help,

Best regards,
Johan

rerwin

#406 Post by rerwin »

divisionmd,
Since frisbee is designed to run in a graphical environment, it depends on X being active.

However, once you have used it to set up a connection, maybe its setup would persist across a reboot where you could try the "pfix=nox" boot option. Maybe the connection would be made. But you could not change anything about it without frisbee in an X environment. I have never attempted that, although you might. But it would run into trouble if it needed to issue a graphical message/popup.
Richard

rbrehton

I have wary 5.5

#407 Post by rbrehton »

I have wary 5.5. I was able to install xpupsay, but the frisbee for wary 5.3 won't install.

The download link for Frisbee+xpupsay-beta2-0912.pet version 1 isn't working for me. Is it available now somewhere else?

Or is there a Frisbee that will install in wary 5.5? thanks

peebee

Re: I have wary 5.5

#408 Post by peebee »

rbrehton wrote:I have wary 5.5. I was able to install xpupsay, but the frisbee for wary 5.3 won't install.

The download link for Frisbee+xpupsay-beta2-0912.pet version 1 isn't working for me. Is it available now somewhere else?

Or is there a Frisbee that will install in wary 5.5? thanks
This is a forum issue - all attachments greater than 256kb became unavailable some time ago without notice.

I don't think I have that pet any longer - but if I do locate it I'll post a link here.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rbrehton

#409 Post by rbrehton »

Ok, thanks

peebee

#410 Post by peebee »

You're lucky that I never throw anything away.....

https://e-nautia.com/peebee/disk/share/ ... 2-0912.pet