Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rerwin

Re: Compatible version of frisbee?

#316 Post by rerwin »

Scooby,
Thank you for all of those recommendation. They are exactly what I need.
Only other thing I changed in frisbee was /etc/init.d/frisbee. I wanted the part under

Code: Select all

if [[ $1 == "start" || $1 == '' ]] ; then
to be indented for more readability
I left that unindented to facilitate keeping track of my updates to the file. But now I can clean that up, too.
Do you have the same intent for network_tray? I had to change it to compile with gtk3.
function names are changed.
I have not gotten into fixing network_tray. I just stole pemasu's Wheezy version of the executable, since DD is based on wheezy. Upgrading network_tray is a separate project, which we might work via PMs. I wonder if anyone one else (01micko?) has addressed the gtk3 issues already.
Also I had to add
/usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun
/usr/local/bin/defaultconnect
/usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor

I'm not sure they are considered part of the network_tray package?
Since DD appears to be using only frisbee for network management, I made /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun a link to frisbee's connect function. But I did not notice that the other 2 are needed in that case.
Also gtkdialog updated to use gtk3, not either part of network_tray or frisbee

Maybe They should be in a special alphaOS compatibility package?
Or maybe in a generic package for distros other than DD, which can use the existing network_tray executable.
What is wag-profiles.sh and is it affecting frisbee in any way?
It is only part of the Network Wizard and is not used by frisbee.
Note:
in /usr/local/bin/frisbee line 413

<action>rxvt -e wpa_cli -i $INTERFACE&</action>
rxvt is explicitly called, alphaOS uses another default terminal.

could this call be substituted with something like /usr/local/bin/defaultterminal ?

else I could provide rxvt as a symlink to default terminal. which is best?
I agree that it should not use a specific terminal emulator. Is it really necessary to use one there, instead of a dialog of some sort? I am open to using a different method.
About ipinfo:
I did extract one version from the latest slacko with the new comment

#131126 zigbert: gui (gtkdialog) improvements.
I really like this version better. Looks better and has added a checkbox for optional
use of icanhazip. Only thing I wanted to change was not to use icanhazip by default
(line 17 and 18 in the new version)

from

[ -f $HOME/.ipinfo ] && . $HOME/.ipinfo || CB0=true
to

[ -f $HOME/.ipinfo ] && . $HOME/.ipinfo || CB0=false
I think I will use yours as a new basis for the DD version, to get zigbert's fix, but with the icanhazip stuff removed, as was requested.

saintless

Re: Frisbee for DebianDog and other distros

#317 Post by saintless »

rerwin wrote:Here are two special packages that work for me in DebianDog. The packages are unlike any of the usual package types.
Thank you, Rerwin!
Next DebianDog update will include it. We have deb package here but it includes both frisbee and tray + dhcpcd + some more files from previous frisbee. Deb package for both DebDog versions just for information. The one for OpenBox will be removed if Fred use network_tray.sh from /usr/bin:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... 86_jwm.deb
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... penbox.deb

Attached extracted deb (folder Debian is only for deb packages).
Unfortunately some files inside /lib and /usr/libexec were missing in your archives and were left from previously installed frisbee deb package converted from Fred. After uninstalling the previous frisbee the new one does not work because of missing files.
Other changes made:
- dhcpcd moved in /usr/sbin
- in /usr/lib/frisbee/func changed "defaulttexteditor" occurrence to leafpad.
- in /usr/bin/frisbee changed rxvt occurrence to xterm. (we can create symlink to defaultterminal or something else if you like).
- moved /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-network_tray to /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks and removed /usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd folder.
- /etc/init.d/frisbee - removed Debian at the beginning to start this way instead (otherwise install warning appears):

### BEGIN INIT INFO
### END INIT INFO
I will test the system with new frisbee package few days and write back here.

If you prefer to keep frisbee and frisbee-tray in separate packages it is OK but not needed for DebDog.
Also no need to include /root/bin folder and /usr/bin/frisbee-tray link. It is something we use to be able to reinstall frisbee without setting up again frisbee-tray. It should be custom setup for each WM and linux system.

Toni
Attachments
frisbee-1.2-20140602_i386_jwm.tar.gz
(108.58 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

Scooby

Re: Compatible version of frisbee?

#318 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote:I have not gotten into fixing network_tray. I just stole pemasu's Wheezy version of the executable, since DD is based on wheezy. Upgrading network_tray is a separate project, which we might work via PMs. I wonder if anyone one else (01micko?) has addressed the gtk3 issues already.
I was wondering if there was icons with better resolution for network_tray?
Since DD appears to be using only frisbee for network management, I made /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun a link to frisbee's connect function. But I did not notice that the other 2 are needed in that case.
AppRun calls defaultconnect but if AppRun is just a symlink then it would not be needed.
Alphaos uses connman by default maybe I could us AppRun to let them exist side by side?

defaulttexteditor is used in the window that appear when you press the "Diagnostics" button.
And in that window called "Frisbee - Wireless Diagnostic Tools" you press "Edit Configuration".
I agree that it should not use a specific terminal emulator. Is it really necessary to use one there, instead of a dialog of some sort? I am open to using a different method.
SInce it starts wpa_cli in a interactive shell I believe it is nescessary.

Scooby

#319 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote: For a 64-bit OS, I think the same modified-dhcpcd source code should compile for it. I have not tried that, so assume you would work out any kinks. I think I posted the source code earlier in this thread. Let me know if it needs modification for 64-bit compatibility. You also need the script, dhcpcd_dropwait_option.
I now have compiled a test version of dhcpcd 6.3.2 with dropwait support for 64-bit OS.
It seems to work OK?

However it doesnt use the dropwait feature and when I looked at script
/usr/bin/dhcpcd_dropwait_option I think I found a inconsistency.

The diffs I found at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=662522
( a bit far down )
are from Sun 04 Nov 2012, 22:55 so maybe this are not the latest ones?

Anyway in script there is check for --dropwait

DWOPTION="$(dhcpcd --help | grep -o '\--dropwait' | cut -f 1 -d ' ')"
but in the diffs I found there is only

+	    "              [-r ipaddr] [-s ipaddr] [-t timeout] [-j dropwait]"
That means --dropwait would never be found.
( I of course tried to replace with -j in dhcpcd_dropwait_option and it seems to work for me :D )

Are there later diffs somewhere?

David Andrew

#320 Post by David Andrew »

Hello,

I'd like to report a problem with Frisbee 1.2 for Debian Dog (Openbox).

I choose and configure my wireless connection from the list. It then says to wait a minute as it tries to configure the connection, but after waiting a long time nothing really happens. It still saves the chosen connection into the profiles. Occasionally when I reboot, the connection icon in the panel will light up to show a successful connection, but it is very slow and temporary. After 2 minutes it will cut off and not re-connect. This is the exact same behaviour on the few occasions that it does connect. Most of the time upon reboot it will simply not connect at all.

I then installed the updated 1.2 version with the .deb provided here, but the exact same behaviour as described above persists. I also have a 3G dongle. By plugging it in it will show up as an icon on the desktop, but there is no way to select it from the Frisbee 1.2's third window option, there are simple no connections to choose from whatsoever. The only difference I've seen with 1.2 is that the connection icon in the panel looks different.

I'd like to point out that I use Frisbee with Puppy Lighthouse and there are no problems with it, the same applies to my 3G dongle.

fredx181

#321 Post by fredx181 »

Hi David Andrew,
Did you have the same problems with the included (older) frisbee in DebianDog?

Fred

David Andrew

#322 Post by David Andrew »

fredx181 wrote:Hi David Andrew,
Did you have the same problems with the included (older) frisbee in DebianDog?

Fred
Yeah. I started off with the default Frisbee that came with Debiandog, then I installed the 1.2 tarball update but the same problem persisted, and then I finally tried the .deb package, also no change.

Scooby

a subject

#323 Post by Scooby »

In frisbee I was always annoyed with having to sidescroll to find SSID
so I wanted to exchange SSID and Encryption in scan_result output.

I did a hack as:

In /usr/local/bin/frisbee line 510

I exchanged the headers from

<label>$(gettext 'BSSID                  |Freq  |Strength|Encryption              |SSID')</label>
to

<label>$(gettext 'BSSID                  |Freq  |Strength|SSID              |Encryption')</label>
and in /usr/local/bin/frisbee/func

I exchanged in function get-scan-results line 901 from

wpa_cli scan_results -i $INTERFACE |grep ^..:..: |sed 's/	/|/g'
to

wpa_cli scan_results -i $INTERFACE |grep ^..:..:| awk '{print $1"|"$2"|"$3"|"$5"|"$4}'
I think awk is present on most puppies right?

What do you think?
Last edited by Scooby on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#324 Post by Scooby »

first:

I don't understand the code in /usr/local/frisbee/func
in function disconnect there is this code line

killall wait-disconnect 
But from what I can see function wait-disconnect is never executed in the first place?
and I always get "wait-disconnect: no process found" when I try it.

furthermore wpa_cli -i $INTERFACE status never contains "COMPLETED" during disabling of wireless which is grep'ed for in wait-disconnect. I only get DISCONNECTED

also there is the strange thing of having dhcpcd -k call last in wait-disconnect and in disconnect resulting in it may be callied twice.

I think this part of the code should be reviewed. I am not sure what is intended to be
accomplished with it?

second:

right click on network_tray menu and selecting "Enable wireles network" would result in AppRun being called with "--disconnect"

I changed code in network_tray.c function tray_icon_on_menu

from

if (if_type_icon_data[wifi].if_type_status == connected) \
				menuitem = gtk_menu_item_new_with_label(_("Disable wireless network"));
else menuitem = gtk_menu_item_new_with_label(_("Enable wireless network"));

g_signal_connect(menuitem, "activate", (GCallback) view_popup_menu_onDisconnect, status_icon);

to

if (if_type_icon_data[wifi].if_type_status == connected) {
				menuitem = gtk_menu_item_new_with_label(_("Disable wireless network"));
				g_signal_connect(menuitem, "activate", (GCallback) view_popup_menu_onDisconnect, status_icon);
		    }
			else {
			menuitem = gtk_menu_item_new_with_label(_("Enable wireless network"));
			g_signal_connect(menuitem, "activate", (GCallback) view_popup_menu_onReconnect, status_icon);
		    }
After change it runs fine :D

gcmartin

#325 Post by gcmartin »

Should a new Frisbee Thread be opened where Frisbee changes can be consolidated in the future? Or can this utility be moved to PUPPY GIT for developer changes as it is now packaged with so many PUP distros.

The updates need to be pushed to the main-line.

rerwin

#326 Post by rerwin »

Scooby wrote:However it doesnt use the dropwait feature and when I looked at script
/usr/bin/dhcpcd_dropwait_option I think I found a inconsistency.

The diffs I found at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=662522
( a bit far down )
are from Sun 04 Nov 2012, 22:55 so maybe this are not the latest ones?

Anyway in script there is check for --dropwait

DWOPTION="$(dhcpcd --help | grep -o '\--dropwait' | cut -f 1 -d ' ')"
but in the diffs I found there is only

+	    "              [-r ipaddr] [-s ipaddr] [-t timeout] [-j dropwait]"
That means --dropwait would never be found.
Scooby, The inconsistency is between the version of "dropwait" and the version of the dhcpcd patch you used. The released version of the modified dhcpcd returns this for the --help option:

usage: dhcpcd	[-ABbDdEGgHJKkLnpqTVw]
		[-C, --nohook hook] [-c, --script script]
		[-e, --env value] [-F, --fqdn FQDN] [-f, --config file]
		[-h, --hostname hostname] [-I, --clientid clientid]
		[-i, --vendorclassid vendorclassid]
		[-j, --dropwait seconds] [-l, --leasetime seconds]
		[-m, --metric metric] [-O, --nooption option]
		[-o, --option option] [-Q, --require option]
		[-r, --request address] [-S, --static value]
		[-s, --inform address[/cidr]] [-t, --timeout seconds]
		[-u, --userclass class] [-v, --vendor code, value]
		[-W, --whitelist address[/cidr]] [-y, --reboot seconds]
		[-X, --blacklist address[/cidr]] [-Z, --denyinterfaces pattern]
		[-z, --allowinterfaces pattern] [interface] [...]
       dhcpcd	-k, --release [interface]
       dhcpcd	-U, --dumplease interface
       dhcpcd	--version
       dhcpcd	-x, --exit [interface]
I have dug around the PC I developed dropwait on and found the source for dhcpcd 5.6.4, which is what is in precise and woof. I made a difference/patch file, which is attached. Please try that with your newer version(s) of dhcpcd. It is for the same source package as posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 311#678311
Richard

EDIT: Replaced attachment with complete difference file.
Attachments
diff-dhcpcd-dropwait-5.6.4.patch.gz
Dropwait patch to dhcpcd 5.6.4: dhcpcd.c, if-options.c, if-options.h
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#327 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote: I have dug around the PC I developed dropwait on and found the source for dhcpcd 5.6.4, which is what is in precise and woof. I made a difference/patch file, which is attached. Please try that with your newer version(s) of dhcpcd. It is for the same source package as posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 311#678311
Ok I checked it out, its just the argument handling that has changed not the active code.

I need to update if-options.c and if-options.h also but i guess I can dig out the changes
in source from link above. But if you find the time diffs would be useful for these.
I actually tried "--dropwait" with my version and dhcpcd swallowed it so it seems
that it is activated, only helpmessage differs.

In dhcpcd 6.3.2 the code in dhcpcd.c has changed a little bit and I had to change dropwait part to match

for future reference the jemimah code in function handle_carrier morphed into this for 6.3.2

else if (carrier == LINK_DOWN || (ifp->flags & IFF_UP) == 0) {
		if (ifp->carrier != LINK_DOWN) {
//JEMIMAH START
			if (ifp->wireless) {
     				ts.tv_sec = ifp->options->dropwait;
               		 	ts.tv_nsec = 0;
               		 	nanosleep(&ts, NULL);
 				carrier = carrier_status(ifp);
				if (carrier == 1) return; 
			}
//JEMIMAH END
			if (ifp->carrier == LINK_UP)
				syslog(LOG_INFO, "%s: carrier lost", ifp->name);
			ifp->carrier = LINK_DOWN;

Last edited by Scooby on Sat 07 Jun 2014, 22:22, edited 4 times in total.

Scooby

#328 Post by Scooby »

I fixed problem with dhcpcd

questions that remain for me

1. in /usr/local/bin/frisbee line 413, rxvt is explicitly called.
How to fix?

2. code in /usr/local/frisbee/func, investigate purpose of function wait-disconnect
Only call I can see is in function disconnect in same file?

3. Are there icons with better resolution for network_tray?

Otherwise I feel I'm ready to package.

info: I ported 01mickos network_tray 2.7.2. It seems ifconfig displays
very different output on puppy and alphaos. If anyone could
provide sample output for puppy I could create a version that works on both.

rerwin

#329 Post by rerwin »

Scooby,
I have been updating my copy of frisbee to address your questions. I add items to the frisbee.conf file for specifying the terminal emulator and text editor to use, with the expectation that a distro developer would set those appropriately.

terminal=rxvt #terminal emulator that takes the "-e" (execute/command) option
editor=defaulttexteditor
The wait-disconnect issue I handle by changing the line, killall wait-disconnect, to avoid the warning message:

[ "$(pidof wait-disconnect)" ] && killall wait-disconnect #140607
I leave in the procedure itself in case anyone in the future needs it. It does not hurt to just leave it there.

Re the tray icons, the only alternative I know of is a set that 01micko created from the original frisbee icons. AFAIK the current network_tray set is the only one that supports the combinations of active networks - ethernet, wifi and mobile wireless, and limited support of analog/wireline dialup. I assume that the tray icon size is intended to be 24x24, so the current icons match that. That was Barry's design decision, so I am being consistent with that.

Note, though, that network_tray is designed to handle alternative sets of icons. /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/network_tray is actually a link to the "xpm" set of 41 icons. Mick created an "svn" set of some sort, I assume for slacko. I obtained the set from slacko-5.6 (which I happen to have on my PC) and am attaching an archive of it, to be expanded to:
/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons
It replaces the link, to point to the svn set. No need to delete the xpm set. Note that you probably have to rename the current network_tray link, to allow the archive expansion to set the new version of that link.
Richard

UPDATE 6/8/2014: The updated frisbee is now in the "compatibility" frisbee posting on the previous page, here (as 20140607):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 962#780962

It contains the above changes plus:
- Fixed INIT lines in the initialization script, per saintless.
- Reformatted the code in the initialization script for proper indentation, per Scooby, and substitution of a "case" structure for the multiple "if" tests.
- Added --version option to frisbee script
- Eliminated an always-occurring killall warning message in log.
- Re-ordered wireless scan results columns to put SSID before Encryption, per Scooby -- I am concerned that the SSID field is now too narrow; please suggest how wide it should be, considering the longest SSID you have seen.

The modified files are: /etc/frisbee/frisbee.conf, /etc/init.d/frisbee, /usr/local/bin/frisbee and /usr/local/frisbee/func. Those can be copied from the pet to their appropriate locations in DD and archpup.
R

UPDATE 6/14/2014: Updated the "compatibility" frisbee in the posting on the previous page (as 20140614), to accommodate the possibilities that the 'pdiag' or 'dropwait' support files are absent from a distro. The respective buttons are disabled/greyed-out if the function is not present, with tool tip notices of that situation.
R.
Attachments
network_tray_slacko_svg_icon_set.tar.gz
SVN-type icons.
Expand to /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Scooby

#330 Post by Scooby »

01micko wrote:Here is the source code and package of the network_tray with icons on rightclick menu and the IP address shown in the tooltip.

Note the source is just the C code, You can use rerwin's original compile script to compile and generate .pot file.
I'm not sure were to post about issues with 01mickos network_tray 2.7.2? here?

The tool tip text would keep on displaying an ip adress allthough you pressed
"Disable wireless Network".

Upgraded folllowing in network_tray.c

line 114

fgets(ipa,sizeof ipa,fp);
to

if( fgets(ipa,sizeof ipa,fp)==NULL ) ipa[0]='\0';
commented out line 117

if (ipa==NULL) return 1;

changed codeblock at line 299

if (ipa!=NULL) {
			strcat(infomsg,_("\nIP address: "));
			strcat(infomsg,ipa);
		  }
to

strcat(infomsg,_("\nIP address: "));
                   strcat(infomsg,ipa);

Scooby

#331 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote: wait-disconnect issue I handle by changing the line, killall wait-disconnect, to avoid the warning message:

[ "$(pidof wait-disconnect)" ] && killall wait-disconnect #140607
I leave in the procedure itself in case anyone in the future needs it. It does not hurt to just leave it there.
I was just curiuos what wait-disconnect were for, I agree it doesn't hurt to leave it but
I would rather understand it so I can know if I missed something
rerwin wrote: -- I am concerned that the SSID field is now too narrow; please suggest how wide it should be, considering the longest SSID you have seen.
Hmmm maybe this is different in gtk2 and gtk3.
In gtk3 the fields auto-size themselves after the longest string, nothing is hidden.
I believe in gtk2 if string is longer than column some part gets hidden?

So this is why I wanted to exchange SSID and encryption
since encryption could be very long.

Could post a image of problem tomorrow.

Thanks for updates rerwin, Soon at the finishline now

Scooby

#332 Post by Scooby »

I made a disconcerting discovery.

If I had dropwait set to 0 and select right click menu of network_tray
"Disable wireless network" everything seems ok and I get no IP adress
with ifconfig

but

If I had dropwait set to 15 and select right click menu of network_tray
"Disable wireless network" IP adress does not disappear from
ifconfig output. But I cannot connect to internet via browser.

I tried with dhcpcd version 5.6.4 and it behaved correctly in both instances

Deduction tells me I did something wrong when hacking in the dropwait patch
in dhcpcd version 6.3.2?
Who is resident dropwait patch master, need help?

peebee

Status notifications

#333 Post by peebee »

Status notifications seem to have stopped working with Frisbee as installed in Slacko5.7 (and now in Slacko6Beta)

Running frisbee from a terminal does not give any clues why.

Any ideas on how to investigate further please?
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

Re: Status notifications

#334 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Status notifications seem to have stopped working with Frisbee as installed in Slacko5.7 (and now in Slacko6Beta)

I just now tried slacko 5.7.0 and also see that the notifications are absent. The hook file, 99-notify, is not being executed. That is because it is not where slacko keeps its hook scripts. Move /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-notify to /usr/libexec/dhcpcd-hooks/ or make a link to it there.
R

peebee

Re: Status notifications

#335 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:
peebee wrote:Status notifications seem to have stopped working with Frisbee as installed in Slacko5.7 (and now in Slacko6Beta)

I just now tried slacko 5.7.0 and also see that the notifications are absent. The hook file, 99-notify, is not being executed. That is because it is not where slacko keeps its hook scripts. Move /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/99-notify to /usr/libexec/dhcpcd-hooks/ or make a link to it there.
R
Thanks Richard - I'll make this change in my next LxPup version (14.07 maybe) unless Mick sees this and is able to make it at the Slacko6 level.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64