Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mike7

#286 Post by Mike7 »

Richard-

I re-booted and ran through the advanced boot options. They are all in the form:

Code: Select all

/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd.gz pfix=xxx
where one of the choices for xxx is RAM. These boot codes can also be edited.

Should I use it? (I still don't know what it means.)

M.

Mike7

#287 Post by Mike7 »

Richard-

I re-booted and ran through the advanced boot options. They are all in the form:

/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd.gz pfix=xxx
where one of the choices for xxx is RAM. These boot codes can also be edited.

Should I use it? (I still don't know what it means.)

M.

rerwin

#288 Post by rerwin »

Mike7,
Yes. replace the xxx with ram. Instead of booting with your pupsave file (assuming there is one on your flash drive), you boot to a new pupsave (personal data) environment, just as you did initially the first time you booted your drive. Then when you reboot or power down, you can save to a new pupsave file.

That's how it works in general, from a CD or frugal installation. I do not know whether the flash drive installation handles input arguments the same way as with CDs, where you would enter "puppy pfix=ram" as soon as the initial splash screen appears. I expect that the "flash screen" should be self explanatory, since the CD startup screen is.
Richard

Scooby

/etc/init.d/frisbee

#289 Post by Scooby »

I checked that this was present in frisbee-1.2-alpha-20130905.pet
Is this the latest version of frisbee?

I'm on some earlier version of frisbee ( actually I'm on alphaos )

I think there is a bug in /etc/init.d/frisbee at the end handling restart

if [[ $1 == "restart" ]] ; then
	if [[ ! -z $WIFI_IF ]] ; then
		reset-wpa
	fi
	reset-dhcp
fi
From my read $WIFI_IF will always be of zero length!

I would have it something like

if [[ $1 == "restart" ]] ; then
	WIFI_IF=`cat /etc/frisbee/interface 2>/dev/null`
        [  $WIFI_IF ] && export INTERFACE=$WIFI_IF
	if [[ ! -z $WIFI_IF ]] ; then
		reset-wpa
	fi
	reset-dhcp
fi
I could use a pair of extra eyes on this though? Anyone can confirm or deny?

Maybe this doesnt matter cause in /usr/local/bin/frisbee
they dont use "/etc/init.d/frisbee restart" so it should only matter on commandline.
They use directly

. /usr/local/frisbee/func
reset-wpa
reset-dhcpcd

Argolance

#290 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
@rerwin
I told you in a PM that the network tray icon popup suggests "Enable wireless network" though user currentlly has no wifi card or connection on his pc/laptop. Isn't it confusing and unseemly for user to be encouraged doing something which has no reason to be done?... and not be able to connect or disconnect from the network using this tray icon?

Do you plan to change this?

Cordialement.

rerwin

#291 Post by rerwin »

Argolance,
Oops! I completely forgot about that issue during my hiatus from frisbee (to work on lupu 5.2.8.6). Thanks for reminding me. I am now fixing it, to set the indicator for the wireless menu item only if a wireless interface is found.

Scooby,
Thanks for pointing out that fundamental error. I am fixing it but within the context of npierce's new code that waits for wpa_supplicant to be ready, before resetting dhcpcd.

Both of you, as well as npierce, please inspect my coding in the attached difference listing of /etc/init.d/frisbee. I think it is correct, but would like other eyes to verify that. Thank you.
Richard
Attachments
diff-init.d_frisbee.txt.gz
Difference listing of frisbee initialization script with fixes for Argolance and Scooby
(964 Bytes) Downloaded 345 times

r4dic4l

#292 Post by r4dic4l »

playdayz wrote:I made a one-click Pet for Lucid 5.2 that contains frisbee, dhcpcd, xpupsay, and the wpa-supplicant--everything needed

Thanks jemimah.
Works awesome on my FDD Lucid 5.2
Thanks, playdaz.

@ jemimah:
You may have single-handedly brought me back to Linux; it's WLAN issues have plagued me. I may seem to be sucking up, but I always wanted to run Linux as main OS but couldn't stay connected to g00gle long enough to figure it out. lol

Thanks to all that have contributed.

Argolance

#293 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
please inspect my coding in the attached difference listing of /etc/init.d/frisbee. I think it is correct, but would like other eyes to verify that. Thank you.
As far as I know, there is not much chance I can "verify" the quality of your code lines... More: I don't know how to use the tarball above! :oops:
I will eventually polish/finish the French translation and suggest some little things like the one above, as simple user... but I admit I cannot very likely do more!

Cordialement.

Scooby

#294 Post by Scooby »

rerwin wrote: Both of you, as well as npierce, please inspect my coding in the attached difference listing of /etc/init.d/frisbee. I think it is correct, but would like other eyes to verify that. Thank you.
Richard
As far as I can see it looks good

rerwin

frisbee-1.2-20140303-beta uplaoded, replacing 20140209

#295 Post by rerwin »

Argolance, Scooby, npierce, frisbee fans,
I have implemented the above fixes and have made the wireless tab a bit more useful when no wireless interfaces are installed. I added tests for the presence of any such interfaces wherever a test is made regarding the current interface, which might be left over after a dongle is unplugged. Although the last-used interface name is retained, it now gets cleared (eventually) if you uncheck the "Enable Wireless" box. Now, that box and the Diagnostic button remain enabled when the rest of the wireless tab is disabled. I also added peebee's recommendation to unblock a wireless interface before using it.

Please try the new version, which I plan to include in lupu 5.2.8.6 shortly (unless you find a bug):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#757398
Richard

Mike7

#296 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Richard.

Sorry to take so long in responding, but I have persnickety health issues that I have to deal with now and then.
replace the xxx with ram. . . I do not know whether the flash drive installation handles input arguments the same way as with CDs. . . I expect that the "flash screen" should be self explanatory, since the CD startup screen is.
The boot flash screen I get has a list of "advanced" boot choices, one of which is "Copy OS files to RAM for boosted performance". This is the one that writes:

/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd.gz pfix=ram
I don't know if it also creates a new pupsave file, but I always click on this choice when booting so that everything runs in ram, and I have never lost any saved files by doing so. I don't think it's actually doing a virgen boot, or creating an empty pupsave file.

In any case, I frequently back up my pupsave files, and will do a special .bak backup before editing the three lines in /usr/sbin/Pwireless, as you suggest.

Thanks for your help with this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers.

Mike

Argolance

#297 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
I admit all this became somewhat confusing now (for me but perhaps for any other user who may be interesting in testing this latest beta release): I had recently to reinstall my Puppy (further to a new laptop) and would like to know exactly what has to be installed (or not!) for things working properly. Network tray xxx? dhcpcd xxx?, wpa_supplicant xxx? While using network tray 2.7.2, the tray icon stays "dead" (though the connection is duly active) and doesn't show network activity... Something is missing?

Suggestion: Why all these different tray icons? Only 5 would be enough and much more simple/clearer, whatever is the connection mode: dead, blank, in, out and both...

Cordialement.

rerwin

#298 Post by rerwin »

Argolance,
Which puppy are you starting with? With precise-5.7.1 or lucid pup 5.2.8.6 or any with frisbee-1.x, you need only the 1.2 beta pet.

Note that network_tray-2.7.2 is 01micko's creation, which I have not worked with other than to conclude that it re-implements the old Frisbee icons (as I recall). What is it about 2.7.2 that makes it better than 2.7? Just curious, in case I want to steal an idea from it.
Richard

Correction: network_tray-2.7.2 adds to 2.7, "icons on rightclick menu and the IP address shown in the tooltip". Those are good features, although I chose not to take any action regarding getting it into woof. By now, it may have been incorporated into the woof-CE world -- I have not been following that effort, although I hope to join it someday.
R
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

Argolance

#299 Post by Argolance »

Hello rerwin,
rerwin wrote:Argolance,
Which puppy are you starting with? With precise-5.7.1 or lucid pup 5.2.8.6 or any with frisbee-1.x, you need only the 1.2 beta pet.
I am running ToOpPy 1.0 (based on Puppy "Precise" 5.4.3)...
Note that network_tray-2.7.2 is 01micko's creation, which I have not worked with other than to conclude that it re-implements the old Frisbee icons (as I recall). What is it about 2.7.2 that makes it better than 2.7? Just curious, in case I want to steal an idea from it.
Richard
There are so many things "downloadable", and pages (in english!) to read. I don't know exactly if the 01micko's creation is better than the simple 2.7 one, I just downloaded and installed it because I thought it was the only "good" one (latest one!).

:?: Please, where could I get the latest pot file?

Thank you a lot.

Cordialement.

rerwin

#300 Post by rerwin »

Argolance,
Note that frisbee-1.x was created for puppies 5.5 and later. So your 5.4.3-based pup may not be completely compatible. But Frisbee-1.x may still work with it -- but it will be an experiment.

I recommend starting by installing the packages in the "frisbee kits" available on pages 15 and 17 of this thread and then the two beta packages on page 19. To simplify the task, I have combines the kits and betas into an experimental "frisbee_kit-1.2", attached.

However, if you want to keep network_tray-2.7.2, skip installing the network_tray-2.7 package in the kit. You should install the pgprs package in the kit, for consistency with frisbee.

I have downloaded your ToOpPy 1.0, so can use it to assist you with any adaptation needed to make the kit work with ToOpPy.

Be sure to use a new pupsave file, considering this is only an experiment at this point. Good luck with it.

The network_tray-2.7 .pot file is in the network_tray-2.7 pet package, as:
/usr/share/doc/nls/network_tray/network_tray.pot

I am sure that, by now, someone has already made the language files for it in precise pup 5.6.1 or 5.7.1.
Richard
Attachments
frisbee-1.2_puppy-5.5_kit-20140303.tar.gz
Experimental consolidated frisbee kit ONLY for use in puppies that do not already contain frisbee-1.x.
(121.88 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

Argolance

#301 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
This could not be more completed!
:D :D
Thank you!
I (un)fortunately have to go away during the whole month but I take my laptop with me and will surely find connection and time to test all what you kindly "cooked" for ToOpPy users.

Cordialement.

rerwin

Frisbee and pgprs removed from "beta" status

#302 Post by rerwin »

I have re-uploaded frisbee-1.2 and pgprs-1.5 with the "-beta" removed form their names. They are identical to the betas and carry the same date in their names. If anyone still has an issue with either, please report it here. They appear to be ready for addition to the woof-CE system.
Available: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#757398

Out of curiosity, does anyone use the VPN interface, gpptp? If so, is there any interest in my adding a tab to frisbee to support the fine-tuning of the options.pptp configuration file?
Richard

rerwin

Frisbee 1.2 for DebianDog

#303 Post by rerwin »

I recieved this message from anikin regarding frisbee and DebianDog:
I would like to test the latest version of Frisbee in DebianDog, and have 2 questions.

1) Does your version have ipinfo (icanhazip) implemented in the code?
if it doesn't,
2) Your pet seems to be structured differently from the DD setup. Should I just manually replace the files, or do uninstall first? Can you also make a deb file in addition to pet?
Re #1: It does not link to icanhazip.com directly, but does use ipinfo, which does. However, ipinfo has been fixed so that it does not link there unless the user selects that as an option. By default, ipinfo does not link to icanhazip.com.

Re #2: First, I do not know how to make deb files, so that is out. Before committing, I wanted to check out DebianDog to see where there might be problems. The main difference between puppy and DD that affects the latest frisbee is that DD does not contain the Roaring Penguin PPPOE function that frisbee now interfaces with. I have updated frisbee to look for that possibility and to disable (grey out) the part of the Telephone Networks tab relating to PPPOE, including the radio button for selecting it. The Mobile/3G part should work, as it is independent from (but compatible with) the also absent pgprs function.

Since DD does not support pet packages, I converted the updated 1.2 pet to the attached tarball that can be installed at the top/root-level (/) directory:
  • - In DebianDog, download/move the tarball to the "/" directory.
    - Click on it to open Xarchiver.
    - Extract all of the files there (to /).
    - Open a console (xterm) and type: cd /
    - Then type: ./pinstall.sh
    - Remove the tarball and pinstall.sh files when done with them.
When you start frisbee (JWM > Settings > Frisbee) you should now see 3 tabs instead of 2. If anything turns out to be amiss, be sure to notify me so that I can address it.
Richard

UPDATE 5/19/2014: I now see what you mean, anikin, by "structured differently", having examined in more detail the frisbee implementation in DebianDog. I assume that the directory changes are to conform to debian conventions. I need to create a new update package for DD that incorporates the "1.2" updates into the existing DD directories for frisbee. Although the the 20140518 package may give you something to test with, be assured that I will also provide, soon, a package/tarball that is consistent with the DD architecture. R
Attachments
DD-frisbee-1.2-20140518.tar.gz
Frisbee for Debian Dog only. See installation instructions.
(25.77 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

anikin

#304 Post by anikin »

Thank you, Richard,

At a glance, nothing seems to be amiss, installed following your instructions, restarted DHCP - looks good so far. As you will see in the attached image, there are 3 windows and PPPOE is indeed greyd out. However, PPPOE can easily be installed -> 'apt-get update' -> 'apt-get install pppoeconf' =>https://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE
It would be great to have a fully consistent package, not necessarilly deb. I'm looking forwrad to having it. To make my request absolutely clear, I'm looking forward to having a Frisbee, that will not have ipinfo/icanhazip (or any similar mechanism) in *any* form - enabled/disabled, or user selectable. Just a plain Linux network manager, like those currently availabe in Debian - wicd, connman, networkmanager.

Thank you, once again for all your work and knowledge.
Attachments
frisbee12.jpeg
(37.32 KiB) Downloaded 1668 times

mavrothal

Re: Frisbee and pgprs removed from "beta" status

#305 Post by mavrothal »

rerwin wrote:They appear to be ready for addition to the woof-CE system.
Dear Richard
just to clarify that frisbee and pgprs scripts are not in wood-CE so they can not be "updated" with your changes.
So "ready for addition" means that puppy builders that use woof-CE can include these pets with their builds.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==