Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Schpankme

#271 Post by Schpankme »

... Frisbee lacking the information of the WiFi driver it is using.
My situation consists of two installs of Frisbee, one on USB Stick and the other is FULL Install on /sda1.

Basics:
Dpup Wheeze with Frisbee-beta-2.pet, dhcpcd-5.2.9-i486.pet, wpa_supplicant-0.6.9-i486.4X.pet
USB - functions perfectly OOTB.
FULL - requires re-install to work.

I've tried different configurations and am at a complete loss as to why one Installation functions properly over the other.

I want to thank you for making Frisbee functional -- I almost gave up on Puppy due to Network (wifi) connection issues.

Best regards

EDIT: Both installations (without any changes) now function perfectly on every re-boot ... could it be Satan?
Attachments
TOADHALL_pnetworkdiag.tar.gz
pnetworkdiag
(45 Bytes) Downloaded 486 times

Mike7

#272 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, rerwin.

Can you tell me if Frisbee will work in Puppeee4.4 on a pendrive? (I can't find any reference to Puppeee4.4 in this thread.)

Pwireless2, which came with the Puppeee4.4 installation, won' t take passwords (keys) for certain known wi-fi's, and someone suggested I try Frisbee. But after looking through this thread I have serious doubts.

If you think it would work, do you know if Jemimah's additional pets (on the first page of this thread), or any of the modifications to them throughout the thread, will work? Or if they're even necessary?

Puppeee4.4 is the only Puppy I've used on my Asus eeePC 1000HA and I like it a lot. I just can' t connect to my favorite password-protected wi-fi's.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers.

Mike

rerwin

#273 Post by rerwin »

Mike7,
Thank you for your inquiry. I have no idea whether frisbee-1.1 would work in pupeee-4.4, since I have never looked into that possibility.

But I have installed both precise-5.6.1 and lucid pup 5.2.8.6 and super lucid2 5.2.8.6 in my Asus 1005HAGB EeePC with no problems. I did have to set up the touchpad controls, but they work. Both of those puppies contain frisbee-1.1. Please try either of them, before trying to adapt "1.1" to pupeee.

As I am currently responsible for lucid pup 5.2.8.6, I would like to know of any reservations you might have about migrating to it. Or to precise pup, for that matter.
Richard

Mike7

#274 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Richard.

Gee, that's a hard question to answer. The thing is, Puppeee-4.4 was the first linux I succeeded in creating a bootable pendrive with, and it's what I've been using ever since. I've become used to it, and I like it a lot.

The thought of changing my op sys right now sort of puts me off. I feel like I'll lose what I've gained from using Puppeee-4.4. See what I mean?

Also, I don't have much time. I'm an older guy with medical issues, and I don't have time to re-learn much. Since Puppeee-4.4 works, I feel I should stick with it. I've spent a lot of time learning to use the apps I need, like Abiword and Nicoedit, Google Chrome, Pup Radio, Osmo, Goggles, etc. All great apps.

Or, if I'm going to migrate, someone told me to try Saluki, which I believe Jemimah developed to replace Puppeee.

But, hey, if you think the migration to lucid or precise would be fairly seamless, and if Frisbee works where Pwireless2 doesn't (wi-fi keys), I might give them a try. It's just that I struggled so hard to get a working pendrive with Puppeee, and to learn how to use it, that I hate to give it up.

The best solution for me, I think, would be to somehow fix Pwireless2 to accept wi-fi keys. I agree with you that adapting Frisbee to Puppeee is going to be a big headache.

Do lucid and precise work in pretty much the same way as Puppeee? Do you think the learning period would be short? Do they have most of the same apps? Would they support the 1000HA features, like Puppeee does? (I don't know how similar the 1005HAGB is to the 1000HA. The Asus netbooks can be pretty varied.)

Not much of an answer to your question, Rich, but there it is. :)

Mike7

rerwin

#275 Post by rerwin »

Mike7,
Thanks for laying it out for me. I just now booted up pupeee-4.4 and agree that it is very nice. I see why you would not want to abandon it.

The complication with adding frisbee-1.1 to it is that you would need to install the entire "frisbee_kit" package to provide the dependencies. One of them, the "woof_updates", was created for the mainline puppy, particularly precise and anything beyond that. That package would probably need to be adapted for pupeee.

So, it is the difference in the internal structure of pupeee versus precise that would present conflicts. If you are reluctant to spend the time to install lupu or precise to your hard drive and add dual booting with "lin'n'win-newbee", boot from a USB cd/dvd drive or install to a flash/pen drive (not your pupeee drive), I doubt you should consider wrestling with interfacing frisbee-1.1 to pupeee.

I am too preoccupied with lupu 5.2.8.6 and an upgrade of frisbee to allow myself to be diverted into retrofitting frisbee into Jemimah's pupeee world. I have worked well with her awhile ago, but she seems to no longer be available to us for support. I am already on overload (at 73), so need to avoid adding yet another project to my "to do" list.
Richard

Mike7

#276 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Rich

I'm 70, myself, so I know just what you mean about not taking on any new projects.

Thanks for the good words about Puppeee-4.4. You made my day.

I agree that I would never succeed in adapting Frisbee to Puppeee-4.4. It's not just a matter of the woof stuff (whatever that is) but all those pets that jemimah added to Frisbee, and that had to be themselves adapted for different versions of Puppy. My epitaph would be: "Here lies a foolish newbie who died in a valiant but forlorn effort to go back in time."
If you are reluctant to spend the time to install lupu or precise to your hard drive and add dual booting with "lin'n'win-newbee"
I originally decided to put some form of Linux on a stick because the hard drive in my netbook is getting weak and hasn't much life left.
boot from a USB cd/dvd drive
Haven't got one. That's been one of the challenges to installing Linux to a stick. I couldn't get any of the usual Windows installers to work, either. But the Puppeee self-installation worked (opening the iso, copying the files to the stick, and then running - on the stick - the .bat file that sets up the pendrive MBR).
or install to a flash/pen drive (not your pupeee drive)
Do you think I could install lucid or precise onto a stick with the Puppeee Universal Installer, from their iso's? If so, I'll probably give them a try. But I have a sneaking suspicion it isn't going to be so easy as that. Getting pendrives to boot is a can of worms.
she seems to no longer be available to us
Oh, Jemimah, where are you when we need you? :)

M.

Mike7

#277 Post by Mike7 »

Richard-

I forgot to ask you: What do you think about this bit of code for fixing my key problem in Pwireless2:

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXXX
Someone posted it in the original thread on BK's Simple Network Setup v.2.1 as a WEP fix for that network manager, and it looks like a sort of universal fix. What do you think, off the top of your head? (And do you know what replaces the "x"'s? The key?)

I apologize for cross-posting this.

Mike7

rerwin

#278 Post by rerwin »

Mike7 wrote:What do you think about this bit of code for fixing my key problem in Pwireless2:

iwconfig wlan0 key open XXXXXXXXXX
Someone posted it in the original thread on BK's Simple Network Setup v.2.1 as a WEP fix for that network manager, and it looks like a sort of universal fix. What do you think, off the top of your head? (And do you know what replaces the "x"'s? The key?)
Could you provide a link to the posting, so I can get up to speed on that discussion?

Regarding pupeee, after a night's sleep I conclude that pupeee is worth preserving/maintaining because of its unique "look and feel", being tailored for the 600-line screen. I have not been following the progress (if there is any) on wither of those projects. I hope someone is attending to them at some level. Are you aware of the level of interest in those puppy versions?

I am considering adding to my to-do list the adaptation of frisbee-.12 (the upgrade) for jemimah's pupeee and saluki puppies, if there is any significant interest in my doing so. To save my searching for the active threads for them, could you post links to all of the threads where current activity is evident? Of course, if I do take on the adaptation, I will need the support by you and others to versify that frsbee and all of its related packages work satisfactorily. But tha is a few months away.
Richard

Mike7

#279 Post by Mike7 »

Richard-
Could you provide a link to the posting, so I can get up to speed on that discussion?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=400730

The post with the code in it is a little over one-third of the way down the page. (I don't know how to link to specific posts.)
Regarding pupeee, after a night's sleep I conclude that pupeee is worth preserving/maintaining because of its unique "look and feel", being tailored for the 600-line screen.
I love it. :D
Are you aware of the level of interest in those puppy versions?
I doubt if there's much real interest. When I did my first post on Puppeee last year ("Puppeee 4.4 revisited"), a lot of people were willing to help me, but it was more from nostalgia and the novelty of it than anything else, I think

I believe the last version of Puppeee was 4.4 RC2, which I was told by Volhout had Frisbee instead of Pwireless2. Here's the link about that:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 824#756824

I don't know a download site for that version, if any exists, but you could query Volhout.

And to my knowledge there is only one download site for Puppeee-4.4 Atom (my version), here:

http://ubuntuone.com/03spbbxEXin5IN44Qn1xNx

I was told that Saluki was Barry Kohler's update of Puppeee after Jemimah dropped out, but I don't know anything about Saluki. I did manage to download SalukiNOP-023r2 from somewhere (?) last year and am holding onto it for a future tryout.

There's a thread named "Is Jemimah's original Puppeee still available?" at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72190

That thread has some stuff about Saluki as well as Puppeee, but it ended in 2011.
I am considering adding to my to-do list the adaptation of frisbee-.12 (the upgrade) for jemimah's pupeee and saluki puppies, if there is any significant interest in my doing so.
There must be a lot of eeePC's still in operation, but who knows how many of them run Puppeee or Saluki, or even how many use some form of Puppy Linux? I've no idea.
To save my searching for the active threads for them, could you post links to all of the threads where current activity is evident?
Aside from the ones linked to above, there are my threads and the threads I've posted to recently:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=91767
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=91443
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=84459
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=67235
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=91025

There's a thread called "Puppeee 4.3X" (which ended in Oct., 2013) at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=48288

and a thread called "Saluki" (which also ended in Oct., 2013) at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 30&t=73687

When I do a search for posts with the word "Puppeee" in them I get three pages of thread listings, all fairly recent (since Oct., 2013). But most of them are not specifically about Puppeee (that is, it's not named in the thread titles), and I don't have the time to read through them all for the Puppeee references.
Of course, if I do take on the adaptation, I will need the support by you and others to versify that frsbee and all of its related packages work satisfactorily.
I would give you the support that time and my health issues permit, but I wouldn't be much help to you as I hardly know anything about using Linux. I'm basically a newbie.

And, to be quite frank about it, Rich, I would much prefer to fix the wi-fi bug in Pwireless2 than get involved with a different network manager. Pwireless2 does everything I need except take protection keys (admittedly a major issue). Pwireless2's simplicity is in keeping with the rest of Puppeee. I'm not sure about Frisbee...

Cheers!

Mike
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

rerwin

Refined version of frisbee-1.2

#280 Post by rerwin »

Attached are packages for updated versions of frisbee and pgprs. Frisbee-1.2-beta contains the previously added "identity" support plus npierce's fix for static IP addresses. The "beta" refers to the new "Telephone Networks" tab also added previously but now reworked.

The "Telephone Networks" mobile wireless part now is compatible with the new version of pgprs, 1.5, in that they use common techniques and can be used interchangeably. You can set up GPRS with either frisbee or pgprs and then connect with either of them, although frisbee should be the more robust user interface.

In addition, the PPPoE part is now "fleshed out" to support the same inputs as the Roaring Penguin GUI.

Those of you using either of those telephone system means of access to the internet, please try whichever features apply to you. As I do not have either type of service, I cannot verify that they actually connect to the internet, so rely on your feedback. I have gone as far as I can until someone reports whether they work. TIA.

Some details of the changes to pgprs:
  • - The file, /etc/ppp/peers/chatmm is now /etc/ppp/options.gprs.
    - The entries for device, APN, phone number, PIN and user are kept in /etc/ppp/gprs.conf, as is the new "PAP only" option.
    - The chat scripts are now in /etc/ppp/chatscripts and, instead of being edited, use separate files for the entered values.
UPDATE 3/8/2014:
Reuploaded frisbee-1.2beta after download #46, to add fixes prompted by peebee, Argolance and Scooby, utilizing npierce's recent fix.
  • - The network tray menu now is appropriate for installations with no wireless capability (Argolance).
    - The restart function is corrected and now also waits for wpa_supplicant to complete its restart.
    - Corrected disablement of the wireless tab when no wireless interface is present, so that the "Enable wireless" and Diagnostic options remain enabled; a previously used interface name is retained after its removal, but is forgotten if wireless is disabled by unchecking that option -- the name will change to "none" the next time frisbee is started (with no wireless interface present).
    - Added precautionary unblocking of a wireless interface before starting it (peebee)
Please verify that wireless still works normally, particularly with USB dongles, both plugged in and unplugged, to be sure the wireless tab is greyed out when unplugged, but is enabled if the dongle is plugged in. Do not expect an instant change; try restarting frisbee after (un)plugging. It may require a reboot, to see the change. Please report on how frisbee behaves in this situation. Thank you.

UPDATE 3/16/2014: Re-uploaded both packages unchanged except for removing "-beta" from their names -- after frisbee download #66 and pgprs download #60. Since there are no reports of any problems with them, I conclude that they are ready for release to woof and puppies that already handle frisbee-1.0 or 1.1. Unless you care about the package name, there is no need to re-update from the betas to these packages.

UPDATE 2/15/2015: Uploaded pgprs-1.5.1 to correct the handling of absent username and password. Until now, they were required but prevented connection if they were dummies. (Version 1.5 had 222 downloads before I removed it.)
Richard
Attachments
pgprs-1.5.1-20150214.pet
Reworked, standardized puppy GPRS GUI -
Corrected for use without username and password.
(6.92 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
frisbee-1.2-20140303.pet
Upgraded frisbee with further refinements since 20140209.
For use only in puppies that already contain frisbee-1.1:
Lucid 5.2.8.6, Precise 5.6.1+, others?
(25.42 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 15 Feb 2015, 20:01, edited 6 times in total.

Mike7

#281 Post by Mike7 »

Richard-
For testing only in puppies that already contain frisbee-1.1
My Puppeee-4.4atom doesn't contain Frisbee, so I guess that lets me out.
Reworked, standardized puppy GPRS GUI
I don't even know what GPRS is <grin>.

Listen, I went to a lot of trouble to collect and organize all those links to Puppeee and Saluki. Would you do me the favor of replying to my query about the iwconfig code? I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Mike

rerwin

#282 Post by rerwin »

Mike7,
Sorry to be so long in responding. I needed to keep focused on frisbee-1.2, to get it done. Your query is not the only demand I have been stonewalling.

After looking at your early links, particularly regarding Jemimah's original posting, I am not sure which frisbee you are considering. I am responsible only for the recent versions starting with 1.0, which is my upgrade to Jemimah's beta2.

Regarding Pwireless2, I do not care to get into it at all, since it is ancient and replaced by Jemimah's frisbee, apparently. I have too much on my plate to get into that dead end. Remember that I am only a novice at wireless networking. What I have learned is mainly from getting frisbee upgraded. I am a programmer, not a user of wireless myself.

I am hoping someone more knowledgeable can provide the answer you seek. As for pupeee and frisbee, that will have to wait awhile and may become moot if interest in it wanes.

Regarding the iwconfig change, Barry seemed to have reservations about adding "open" for all users. I am not sure he ever resolved that. I suppose that fix made in Pwireless could work. But I have no special insight about it. Why not go into the pwireless code, find the appropriate iwconfig invocation and make the change? Just use an expendable pupsave so you won't lose anything valuable if it crashes.

A bit later: I had to check my advice on my EeePC and found that /usr/sbin/Pwireless lines 380 and 571 have iwconfig with the "key" argument. Try putting "open" (w/o the quotes) just before "key" in line 571, to see what happens when you test wireless. If no change, try adding it to line 380.
Richard

Mike7

#283 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Richard.

I can well understand your not wanting to get into Pwireless2, since no one but me is using it any more, apparently.

I have all but abandoned the idea of substituting Frisbee. It would take me the rest of my life to test all the versions and their dependencies. However, if you ever hear of someone who reworked Frisbee for Puppeee-4.4atom, please let me know.
I had to check my advice on my EeePC and found that /usr/sbin/Pwireless lines 380 and 571 have iwconfig with the "key" argument. Try putting "open" (w/o the quotes) just before "key" in line 571, to see what happens when you test wireless. If no change, try adding it to line 380.
I'll give it a try.
Just use an expendable pupsave so you won't lose anything valuable if it crashes.
How exactly do I do that? (I'm still a newbie.)

Cheers.

Mike

rerwin

#284 Post by rerwin »

Mike7,
Start with booting with the parameter, pfix=ram. I am not sure how you do that with your flash installation. But you probably don't need that precaution if you are careful in editing the script file. Make a copy of it (....bak) before editing. Even if it doesn't do the job, it would not destroy your system. You could then restore the original from the ".bak" copy.
Richard

Mike7

#285 Post by Mike7 »

Richard-
Start with booting with the parameter, pfix=ram. I am not sure how you do that with your flash installation.
Me neither. But Puppeee boots a flash screen with "advanced" boot options. Maybe I can stick it in there somewhere. What does it do?
you probably don't need that precaution if you are careful in editing the script file.
Very careful editing any system file. Paranoid, really. <grin>
Make a copy of it (....bak) before editing. Even if it doesn't do the job, it would not destroy your system. You could then restore the original from the ".bak" copy.
Richard
Ok. Will do.

M.

Mike7

#286 Post by Mike7 »

Richard-

I re-booted and ran through the advanced boot options. They are all in the form:

/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd.gz pfix=xxx
where one of the choices for xxx is RAM. These boot codes can also be edited.

Should I use it? (I still don't know what it means.)

M.

Mike7

#287 Post by Mike7 »

Richard-

I re-booted and ran through the advanced boot options. They are all in the form:

/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd.gz pfix=xxx
where one of the choices for xxx is RAM. These boot codes can also be edited.

Should I use it? (I still don't know what it means.)

M.

rerwin

#288 Post by rerwin »

Mike7,
Yes. replace the xxx with ram. Instead of booting with your pupsave file (assuming there is one on your flash drive), you boot to a new pupsave (personal data) environment, just as you did initially the first time you booted your drive. Then when you reboot or power down, you can save to a new pupsave file.

That's how it works in general, from a CD or frugal installation. I do not know whether the flash drive installation handles input arguments the same way as with CDs, where you would enter "puppy pfix=ram" as soon as the initial splash screen appears. I expect that the "flash screen" should be self explanatory, since the CD startup screen is.
Richard

Scooby

/etc/init.d/frisbee

#289 Post by Scooby »

I checked that this was present in frisbee-1.2-alpha-20130905.pet
Is this the latest version of frisbee?

I'm on some earlier version of frisbee ( actually I'm on alphaos )

I think there is a bug in /etc/init.d/frisbee at the end handling restart

if [[ $1 == "restart" ]] ; then
	if [[ ! -z $WIFI_IF ]] ; then
		reset-wpa
	fi
	reset-dhcp
fi
From my read $WIFI_IF will always be of zero length!

I would have it something like

if [[ $1 == "restart" ]] ; then
	WIFI_IF=`cat /etc/frisbee/interface 2>/dev/null`
        [  $WIFI_IF ] && export INTERFACE=$WIFI_IF
	if [[ ! -z $WIFI_IF ]] ; then
		reset-wpa
	fi
	reset-dhcp
fi
I could use a pair of extra eyes on this though? Anyone can confirm or deny?

Maybe this doesnt matter cause in /usr/local/bin/frisbee
they dont use "/etc/init.d/frisbee restart" so it should only matter on commandline.
They use directly

. /usr/local/frisbee/func
reset-wpa
reset-dhcpcd

Argolance

#290 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
@rerwin
I told you in a PM that the network tray icon popup suggests "Enable wireless network" though user currentlly has no wifi card or connection on his pc/laptop. Isn't it confusing and unseemly for user to be encouraged doing something which has no reason to be done?... and not be able to connect or disconnect from the network using this tray icon?

Do you plan to change this?

Cordialement.