Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
tuxtoo

Frisbee Icon

#256 Post by tuxtoo »

Tried Frisbee on Puppy-412 and it works a treat. So in the spirit of Puppy DIY I've cobbled together an icon for Frisbee. Got the original Frisbee icon from http://gnome-look.org/ and modified it to more of a Puppy-Look. Hope its useful.
Attachments
frisbee48.png
frisbee48.png 48x48
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 1652 times
frisbee256.png
frisbee.png 256x256
(23.44 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
Puppy Linux search engine.

[b][url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url][/b] Suitable for older browsers.

Mirror [b][url]https://puppysearch.neocities.org[/url][/b]

01micko

#257 Post by 01micko »

Hello Richard

Frisbee (latest with "classic" svg icons) is working great in my uploaded slacko-5.5.67 alpha. Thanks for integrating that functionality.

I have repackaged the icons for everyday use in the appropriate folder with symlink. This is the version I use in woof but that doesn't matter, should work anyway with latest frisbee pack in newish puppies. The "z" prefix is just so they get built into woof near the end of the process.

Also, I've added a patch for network_tray which displays IP address and also icons in the right click menu. I don't expect it to be merged at all, just adding a bit of fluff (a bit of fun too).

Cheers
Attachments
net-130709.diff.gz
optional patch for rerwin's network_tray-2.7 source code.
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
z_frisbee_classic_icons-0.1.pet
(10.89 KiB) Downloaded 598 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sky Aisling

Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

#258 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello Richard,

Frisbee is working without issue on this configuration:

HP g62 notebook
cable/dsl connection
Puppy-528.005
running as Live CD
Savefile on HDD

Thank You.

Question:
How's Frisbee for Puppy-4.3.1 coming along?

Sky

01micko

#259 Post by 01micko »

Here is the source code and package of the network_tray with icons on rightclick menu and the IP address shown in the tooltip.

Note the source is just the C code, You can use rerwin's original compile script to compile and generate .pot file.
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.2-i486.pet
compiled in slacko
(12.48 KiB) Downloaded 617 times
network_tray_src_mick-2.7.2.tar.gz
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Petr

diagnostics - could be better

#260 Post by Petr »

Hi all,
I realise this is a bit late but I have just hit a problem that caused me to find this thread. I have been using frisbee successfully for a while now but all of a sudden it won't connect, and it gives no information as to why. Indeed I do not get a list of wireless networks to connect to and no way to create one I know is there. I thought it was a hardware problem but if i use net-setup.sh
I can press scan, and get the list.

running from a terminal I can find the problem is

wpa_ctrl_open: no such file or directory

and on the terminal
cat wpa_status.txt: no such file or directory

Any ideas what has happened? I have installed everything from page 15 of this topic; no change.

cheers,
Petr

rerwin

#261 Post by rerwin »

Any ideas what has happened? I have installed everything from page 15 of this topic; no change.
Petr,
That error seems to occur for many reasons, usually because of a situation not anticipated by frisbee. Could you give us more detail about which puppy you are using and why you are not using either the later kit on page 17 or precise pup 5.6.1?

After upgrading to either of the above, and after encountering the problem, go into frisbee's diagnostic window and obtain a diagnostic (pdiag) file. Let it capture the wireless details it requests, then send the pdiag...tar.gz file it produces, to me in a PM (so as to avoid sharing sensitive data with the entire world).
Richard

rerwin

Experimental frisbee 1.2 for testing

#262 Post by rerwin »

I am attaching frisbee-1.2 and requesting assistance from some users of either wireless (cellphone system) modems or of a DSL connection that requires use of PPPoE because it is not built into the DSL modem. I have neither, so cannot be sure that frisbee can actually connect. The rest of frisbee is the same as 1.1 but with the addition of support for the "identity" network variable, for logging into wireless networks that require a login and password for access (instead of an SSID and key). This was suggested by Petr, in our PMs regarding his difficulties (above).

The wireless modem part is a recode of the pgprs logic but integrated into the frisbee GUI. The PPPoE part is simply a GUI front end to the Roaring Penguin pppoe already in Puppy. I have debugged the user interface portion and need others to determine whether either implementation comes close to being usable.

The two parts constitute a new tab, "Telephone Networks". One or the other is activated through radio buttons and are controlled by a common set of buttons. The interface/device selection is done by drop-down lists showing the available candidates. For now, connecting and disconnecting are done with the appropriately named buttons, although disconnecting can be done in added windows similar to the way pupdial monitors calls. Eventually, I intend to update the network_tray icon to offer menu items for connection/disconnection of the wireless-modem (GPRS) and PPPoE communications.

Although the GPRS part works similarly to the pgprs network connection, the PPPoE part currently provides access to only three of the configuration options (interface, userID, password). I am open to add other items, but need feedback as to which are most important to be given GUI support, primarily the items users need to edit in the pppoe.conf file. Note that PPPoE is needed only for use with DSL modems that require it in the client PC. Many DSL modems hide all that from the PC and user.

For the new "identity" feature, the user of a network using "EAP" authentication will be prompted to provide an identifier in addition to a password/key -- although a "password" is requested, it becomes a "key" if used with an SSID. The new logic needs someone with the appropriate type of wifi network to test/verify, so I can debug any problem with it.

There is more to do on the tool tip text. I encourage recommendations for any improvements, with the goal of making frisbee an all-in-one network manager supporting multiple concurrent connections via the various interface types (ethernet, wifi, GPRS, PPPoE). Please tell me how it works, so I can refine it for submission to puppy. Thanks.
Richard

9/5/2013: I am pleased to see 13 downloads of "1.2" and only one report of a problem. Does that mean it works for some of you? I need to know. I uploaded "0905" as a result of working with kooliepup, to ensure that an APN and access number are specified. I am hoping that the failure he sees, and I do, too, is due to an invalid or missing APN or number. (I test with an analog USB modem, so can go only so far with it.) If anyone has the GPRS part working, please tell me. R
Attachments
frisbee-1.2-alpha-20130905.pet
Experimental frisbee with new "Telephone Networks" tab.
(23.11 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 06 Sep 2013, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#263 Post by rerwin »

Update on Petr's connection problems:
His pupsave file contains many installed packages for previous work-in-progress frisbee and network_tray packages that may be interfering with the final frisbee-1.1 built into precise pup 5.6+. Once he tried with a fresh pupdave file, the connection seems to work. This is what I understand from his PM reports to me. I have requested that he uninstall all of those earlier frisbee-related versions and test again (so he can keep any other installed packages he wants). I expect that should also restore wifi functionality.

I thank Petr for working with me to understand the problem, and for his "identity" recommendation.
Richard

kooliepup

#264 Post by kooliepup »

It is great to see Puppy network connectivity starting to catch up with other distros.

I uninstalled Frisbee and tried your latest.
Eth and WLAN work fine, 3G fails to connect with an exit status 8. I don't have ADSL.

Good to see that authorisation is now optional in this.
On other distros now, everything is automatic, nothing has to be filled in at all.
The SIM card is read and verified and you get connected automatically, even if the last-mile carrier is not your ISP.

Keep up the good work.

edited to correct LAN to WLAN.
Last edited by kooliepup on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#265 Post by rerwin »

kooliepup wrote:Eth and LAN work fine, 3G fails to connect with an exit status 8. I don't have ADSL.
Thanks for trying 1.2. When you see that 3G fails with it, could you get and PM to me a pdiag file, so I can see what is happening?

To get the file, either enter the command, pdiag, or go into Frisbee, click the "Diagnostic" button, then the "Generate Diagnostic Data" button. Then send the pdiag...tar.gz file it creates.

As a "control," in a separate run, try the original pgprs to see if it works. You could get a pdiag file with that test, too, so I can compare the behaviour.
Richard

Followup 9/10/2013:
While working this via PM, we got to the point where entering a valid device, userID and password resulted in at least attempting a connection. However, kooliepup has moved on to raring pup and a much later kernel, which may be introducing new factors. His is a modem that supports "DirectIP" and uses an ethernet interface, "wwan", but should still work using the old "ppp" method. This adds a "new twist" in later kernels and versions of udev.

So, my rework of the interfacing logic is probably OK. But to be certain, I need someone to report either complete success or to make a test run using the original pgprs to see whether it works for a particular case, where the frisbee version doesn't. R
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

kooliepup

#266 Post by kooliepup »

sent.

It seems that the problem is a command not recognised.

I can't give you an output from pgprs as I don't have it set up.
I normally use the 3G dongle plugged into one of the 4 Eth or Wireless routers.
I only put it in the computer to test Frisbee for you.

If everyone used a router there would be no issues with using dongles.

Tman

#267 Post by Tman »

Hi Rerwin,

I haven't done any intensive testing with your new version of Frisbee, but I've tested it out for about half an hour, and find that the connection sometimes drops out on me. This is the same though for the Puppy Network Setup wizard as well.

I have Ubuntu Studio installed on the same computer, and it does not have the same problems with the wifi as I do in Tinted Slacko 5.5 (based on Slacko 5.5 Final),

Also, I have a request for later versions of Frisbee:
Although it is great that Frisbee can find the correct driver for my USB wifi dongle and connect to the internet with no other configuration except for the password, one thing that I find it is lacking is the information of the wifi driver it is using.

Would you be able to add that option to Frisbee, in a similiar fashion that the Puppy Network Manager has?
Attachments
Network_Wizard.jpg
(38.91 KiB) Downloaded 972 times

rerwin

#268 Post by rerwin »

Tman wrote:I've tested it out for about half an hour, and find that the connection sometimes drops out on me. This is the same though for the Puppy Network Setup wizard as well.
My understanding is that the "dropwait" feature is intended to address that dropout problem. By default, it is turned off, but can be activated by going to the "Diagnostic" window and setting a delay before dropping a connection. The usual value is 15 seconds. (The delay should also work for the other network managers, once set in Frisbee.) Note that network startup may then be delayed by that number of seconds (because a connection may be dropped and restarted as part of the bootup process when Frisbee is in effect). Please try dropwait. BTW, frisbee-1.2 and -1.1 are identical regarding wifi support. "1.2" only adds the telephone (e.g., mobile) support.
Also, I have a request for later versions of Frisbee:
Although it is great that Frisbee can find the correct driver for my USB wifi dongle and connect to the internet with no other configuration except for the password, one thing that I find it is lacking is the information of the wifi driver it is using.

Would you be able to add that option to Frisbee, in a similar fashion that the Puppy Network Manager has?
This seems reasonable, particularly where multiple drivers may support the same device. I will look into that.
Richard

Tman

#269 Post by Tman »

Rerwin,

I set to dropwait time to 15 seconds as you suggested, and it has greatly improved my wifi connection. Thanks, very much. :)

EDIT: I spoke too soon.I guess I got lucky yesterday, because my wifi is exibiting connection loss again. I am suspecting that Ubuntu Studio has a newer driver that is less buggy, I tried Upup Precise Pup and experienced connection losses, while wifi seemed to be pretty stable on Upup Raring Pup. I will have to do more testing to confirm, since I only tested it for a little while.

But at least Frisbee has the "Restart Networks" button, which allows me to get the connection going again quickly.

gcmartin

Frisbee - what's missing?

#270 Post by gcmartin »

Has a feature been overlooked or am I misusing Frisbee?

Over this past weekend, I again, I had to stop using a PUP with Frisbee to change to another distro in an effort to get Internet access over a WiFi network. The reason: No ability to authenticate when BOTH a username and password is required.
  1. Is this a missing feature or is there a manner to use Frisbee where its apparent where that information can be filled?
  2. If there is a manner, would someone post the screen in Frisbee where this is to be entered, please.
Thanks in advance for any understanding of this.

Schpankme

#271 Post by Schpankme »

... Frisbee lacking the information of the WiFi driver it is using.
My situation consists of two installs of Frisbee, one on USB Stick and the other is FULL Install on /sda1.

Basics:
Dpup Wheeze with Frisbee-beta-2.pet, dhcpcd-5.2.9-i486.pet, wpa_supplicant-0.6.9-i486.4X.pet
USB - functions perfectly OOTB.
FULL - requires re-install to work.

I've tried different configurations and am at a complete loss as to why one Installation functions properly over the other.

I want to thank you for making Frisbee functional -- I almost gave up on Puppy due to Network (wifi) connection issues.

Best regards

EDIT: Both installations (without any changes) now function perfectly on every re-boot ... could it be Satan?
Attachments
TOADHALL_pnetworkdiag.tar.gz
pnetworkdiag
(45 Bytes) Downloaded 486 times

Mike7

#272 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, rerwin.

Can you tell me if Frisbee will work in Puppeee4.4 on a pendrive? (I can't find any reference to Puppeee4.4 in this thread.)

Pwireless2, which came with the Puppeee4.4 installation, won' t take passwords (keys) for certain known wi-fi's, and someone suggested I try Frisbee. But after looking through this thread I have serious doubts.

If you think it would work, do you know if Jemimah's additional pets (on the first page of this thread), or any of the modifications to them throughout the thread, will work? Or if they're even necessary?

Puppeee4.4 is the only Puppy I've used on my Asus eeePC 1000HA and I like it a lot. I just can' t connect to my favorite password-protected wi-fi's.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers.

Mike

rerwin

#273 Post by rerwin »

Mike7,
Thank you for your inquiry. I have no idea whether frisbee-1.1 would work in pupeee-4.4, since I have never looked into that possibility.

But I have installed both precise-5.6.1 and lucid pup 5.2.8.6 and super lucid2 5.2.8.6 in my Asus 1005HAGB EeePC with no problems. I did have to set up the touchpad controls, but they work. Both of those puppies contain frisbee-1.1. Please try either of them, before trying to adapt "1.1" to pupeee.

As I am currently responsible for lucid pup 5.2.8.6, I would like to know of any reservations you might have about migrating to it. Or to precise pup, for that matter.
Richard

Mike7

#274 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Richard.

Gee, that's a hard question to answer. The thing is, Puppeee-4.4 was the first linux I succeeded in creating a bootable pendrive with, and it's what I've been using ever since. I've become used to it, and I like it a lot.

The thought of changing my op sys right now sort of puts me off. I feel like I'll lose what I've gained from using Puppeee-4.4. See what I mean?

Also, I don't have much time. I'm an older guy with medical issues, and I don't have time to re-learn much. Since Puppeee-4.4 works, I feel I should stick with it. I've spent a lot of time learning to use the apps I need, like Abiword and Nicoedit, Google Chrome, Pup Radio, Osmo, Goggles, etc. All great apps.

Or, if I'm going to migrate, someone told me to try Saluki, which I believe Jemimah developed to replace Puppeee.

But, hey, if you think the migration to lucid or precise would be fairly seamless, and if Frisbee works where Pwireless2 doesn't (wi-fi keys), I might give them a try. It's just that I struggled so hard to get a working pendrive with Puppeee, and to learn how to use it, that I hate to give it up.

The best solution for me, I think, would be to somehow fix Pwireless2 to accept wi-fi keys. I agree with you that adapting Frisbee to Puppeee is going to be a big headache.

Do lucid and precise work in pretty much the same way as Puppeee? Do you think the learning period would be short? Do they have most of the same apps? Would they support the 1000HA features, like Puppeee does? (I don't know how similar the 1005HAGB is to the 1000HA. The Asus netbooks can be pretty varied.)

Not much of an answer to your question, Rich, but there it is. :)

Mike7

rerwin

#275 Post by rerwin »

Mike7,
Thanks for laying it out for me. I just now booted up pupeee-4.4 and agree that it is very nice. I see why you would not want to abandon it.

The complication with adding frisbee-1.1 to it is that you would need to install the entire "frisbee_kit" package to provide the dependencies. One of them, the "woof_updates", was created for the mainline puppy, particularly precise and anything beyond that. That package would probably need to be adapted for pupeee.

So, it is the difference in the internal structure of pupeee versus precise that would present conflicts. If you are reluctant to spend the time to install lupu or precise to your hard drive and add dual booting with "lin'n'win-newbee", boot from a USB cd/dvd drive or install to a flash/pen drive (not your pupeee drive), I doubt you should consider wrestling with interfacing frisbee-1.1 to pupeee.

I am too preoccupied with lupu 5.2.8.6 and an upgrade of frisbee to allow myself to be diverted into retrofitting frisbee into Jemimah's pupeee world. I have worked well with her awhile ago, but she seems to no longer be available to us for support. I am already on overload (at 73), so need to avoid adding yet another project to my "to do" list.
Richard