Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
jemimah

Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 2

#1 Post by jemimah »

Frisbee is a Wpa Roaming frontend inspired by Wpa Gui. It is also a frontend for Dhcpcd.

Frisbee supports Open, WEP, and WPA Personal wireless networks as well as Ethernet. Support for AdHoc networks is still mostly untested.

Frisbee scans constantly for changes to your networking environment so you won't be dropped. Frisbee can roam between wireless networks automatically. It can also detect any time you plug in your ethernet cable and connect automatically.

Frisbee_tray knows if you're connected by wired, wireless, or modem and the icon changes to indicate which it is.

---

I've tested it briefly on Lupu, Wary, and Puppy 4.2.

To install, first get the correct wpa_supplicant pet. Wpa_supplicant is picky about openssl so it needs to be compiled on the target platform. The pet for Lupu only contains symlinks, but the wpa_supplicant in other puppy versions will not work with Frisbee. (Wpa supplicant needs to support the '-f' option for logging).

Then download and install my patched dhcpcd. The patch makes dhcpcd wait 6 seconds before disconnecting you when your connection drops. This is needed for a smooth experience in cases when you have a weak wireless connection.

Then install the xpupsay pet. I use xpupsay for notifications. Frisbee could be modified to use the splash program of choice, but xpupsay is the least work for me since that's what I use in Fluppy.

Then install the Frisbee pet. It'll probably work with out a reboot now.

If you'd like to report a bug, go into Wireless Diagnostics and generate the diagnostic data. You can then attach the tarball it creates to your post.

Beta 2 Changes:
  • The dhcpcd patch has been improved. Now you can configure the drop timeout from the GUI. Drop timeout now only affects wireless networks, ethernet should respond to changes instantly.
    Bugfix for the tray applet not working right when you're using a static IP.
To upgrade from Beta 1 to Beta 2 you must update both the Frisbee pet and the dhcpcd pet. The other pets are unchanged.
Attachments
Frisbee-beta-2.pet
(78.2 KiB) Downloaded 10085 times
dhcpcd-5.2.9-i486.pet
(42.87 KiB) Downloaded 7617 times
wpa_supplicant-0.6.9-i486.4X.pet
wpa-supplicant for puppy 4.2 and 4.3
(156.56 KiB) Downloaded 7933 times
screen1.jpg
(36.48 KiB) Downloaded 22172 times
screen2.jpg
(31.38 KiB) Downloaded 25127 times
xpupsay-1.2.1-i486.pet
(86.74 KiB) Downloaded 5086 times
wpa_supplicant-0.6.9.lupu.pet
wpa supplicant for lupu 5.2
(410 Bytes) Downloaded 4562 times
wpa_supplicant-0.6.9-wary.pet
wpa supplicant for wary
(158.76 KiB) Downloaded 4351 times
Last edited by jemimah on Mon 07 Feb 2011, 02:43, edited 6 times in total.

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

Here is the source code for the binary parts.
Attachments
dhcpcd-5.2.9-jemimah-patched.tar.gz
patched dhcpcd source
(88.49 KiB) Downloaded 3458 times
frisbee_tray.tar.gz
frisbee tray source
(119.86 KiB) Downloaded 3553 times
config.gz
wpa_supplicant config file
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 3529 times
Last edited by jemimah on Mon 07 Feb 2011, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#3 Post by jpeps »

Hi Jemimah,

Ha Ha.....really cute....and works great! Thanks.

Edit: Just tried it an older laptop running Lucid 231 that I had to manually reconnect all the time to a wireless network. Frisbee finds and connects automatically.

sc0ttman

#4 Post by sc0ttman »

Frisbee seems to work for me in Puplite, looks good and simple :)

But the wpa_supplicant pet for puppy 4 is not right, it won't unpack as the folder in the pet file does not match the pet file name.

So I attached a fixed pet package.
Attachments
wpa_supplicant-0.6.9-i486-pup4.pet
(157.12 KiB) Downloaded 3438 times
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Wireless working OK on the Asus Eeepc 701 with Puppy 5.2.
:)
I noticed two neighbours networks, one using WPA
and one using BTOpenzone (Frisbee may have connected to this? Would that be expected behaviour?) The signal was weak and it went off again
The WPA is private
Is the BTOpenzone private too?
BTOpenzone seems to have no encryption methodology . . .

Be interested how this compares with existing Puppy scripts and
whether it is smaller. Certainly seems very easy to set up following Jemimah's instructions :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jemimah

#6 Post by jemimah »

It shouldn't be connecting to any wireless networks automatically.

Any size difference between scripts would be negligible.

The main difference between Frisbee and other scripts is that I offload all the heavy lifting to wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd. All Frisbee does is start wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd and help you configure them. The point of Frisbee is to be as simple as possible and easy to maintain.

chrismt

#7 Post by chrismt »

Is this app better than Pwireless?

If I install wpa supplicant for lupu 5.2, will it damage my other network managers?

jemimah

#8 Post by jemimah »

The Lupu wpa_supplicant pet contains only symbolic links - it makes no changes to existing networking infrustructure.

As far as better goes, judge for yourself.

playdayz

#9 Post by playdayz »

I made a one-click Pet for Lucid 5.2 that contains frisbee, dhcpcd, xpupsay, and the wpa-supplicant--everything needed.

My experience was to install the pet and then go to disconnect my wireless, but the Frisbee install had already done it. Then I rebooted--I am not sure that is necessary but it's always safe.

On reboot, I started laughing. xpupsay is perfectly in the spirit of puppy imho. Plus, I set up a profile for my wireless (entered the password in other words) and everything just worked.

Thanks jemimah.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 03 Feb 2011, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#10 Post by playdayz »

On reboot, I get

Requesting IP Address for eth0
Requesting IP Address for wlan routername
Eth0 is down

30 seconds pass

1234567890 acquired on wlan0

Everything is fine.

p310don

#11 Post by p310don »

Hi Jemimah,

I've been using Frisbee in Puppee 4.4 rc7 and briefly 8.

Firstly I have found it to be much better and easier from the beginning for hooking up to my WPA-PSK network, so that's great, as opposed to pwireless2 which was not so great.

Also, Frisbee connects perfectly to my phone via its Ad-Hoc wireless access point, so that's a great plus also.

Now for the (minor) downsides. There seems to be an issue holding the connection to the internet. In my house, if using the eeepc at the opposite end of the house from the router, the internet drops out much more frequently than with the previous puppeee with pwireless. Strangely, the connection doesn't drop out as often when connected to the LAN to access movies or such. I don't know if you've ever experienced that kind of behaviour, or if its just my network.

Anyway, in a situation such as this where it drops out, the network still shows up in the networks found box, but doesn't connect automatically. Perhaps a "connect" button could be added to do this. I can press the reset dhcp button, but that seems to take a lot longer than necessary(?).

chrismt

#12 Post by chrismt »

I found one problem

It is not connecting with my WPA2-PSK-TKIP+CCMP-preauth connection

But Pwireless did

:(

jemimah

#13 Post by jemimah »

If you'd like to report a bug, go into Wireless Diagnostics and generate the diagnostic data. You can then attach the tarball it creates to your post.

chrismt

#14 Post by chrismt »

hmm

I did install it on a new puppy install and it works :shock:

But when i tried it on another where Pwireless was default network manager, it failed :shock:

Wellesfargo

Frisbee Network Manager - Beta 1

#15 Post by Wellesfargo »

2 Thumbs up. Works well for me. I am running Lucid Puppy 5.2 on a Compaq Presario with a Turion CPU. The wireless adapter connected great. I really like the puppy speaking. All we need now is audio. :wink:

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

LightHouse 502G

#16 Post by Béèm »

Not sure if I can use this in LightHouse 502G (slaxer based)
I tried the 5.2 based wpa_supplicant, not knowing which other one I have to choose.

I get this message:

Code: Select all

Wpa_supplicant Status:
-------------------------------------------------
sh: regel 2: /usr/local/sbin/wpa_cli: No such file or directory
-------------------------------------------------
As I did the network setup with the regular wizard, I have a working connection.
I include the diagnostic file generated by frisbee, but probably some info in there is from this setup.

Maybe it's not possible to use this frisbee in LightHouse.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

jemimah

#17 Post by jemimah »

I believe Tazoc was going to take a look at integrating Frisbee into LighthousePup.

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

Hi jemimah,

I got this working in Fatdog, yes recompiled everything including wpa_supplicant-0.7.3 with your .config. Works well too. :)

Only issue is that the tray icon did not update after a reboot, it was connected fine though. I had to right click the icon and open the frisbee gui then the tray icon updated. I just closed the gui at that point, works after that.

Thanks

edit: same after x restart, icon shows disabled state, tarball attached

edit 2: I recompiled wpa_supplicant in spup and Frisbee works perfectly with spup ( :) ), so it is a Fatdog issue, don't worry about it, I'm sure between jamesbond, kirk and myself we will figure it out
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

chrismt

#19 Post by chrismt »

:? There is no option to disconnect from a particular network and connect to another

Can you add it?

jemimah

#20 Post by jemimah »

01micko wrote:Hi jemimah,

I got this working in Fatdog, yes recompiled everything including wpa_supplicant-0.7.3 with your .config. Works well too. :)

Only issue is that the tray icon did not update after a reboot, it was connected fine though. I had to right click the icon and open the frisbee gui then the tray icon updated. I just closed the gui at that point, works after that.

Thanks

edit: same after x restart, icon shows disabled state, tarball attached

edit 2: I recompiled wpa_supplicant in spup and Frisbee works perfectly with spup ( :) ), so it is a Fatdog issue, don't worry about it, I'm sure between jamesbond, kirk and myself we will figure it out
I tested wpa_supplicant .7.3 and with some netbook hardware it was really really slow to return scan results - so I stuck with .6.9 on purpose. So, if people complain of no scan results, you may want to downgrade and see if that helps.

Frisbee_tray is passive and only changes state if you send it a signal to do so. The script in /root/Startup and the scripts in /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks are responsible for sending messages to the tray applet. Note that there is a bug in beta 1 that doesn't change the tray state for a static IP. I hope to relase beta 2 later today or tomorrow.